Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,999 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? (29689 Views)

Does Changing A Cars AC Affect Fuel Economy? / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / How To Calculate Fuel Consumption In Your Car Using Innoson G5 As A Case-study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Amajerry83(m): 8:29am On Sep 13, 2017
It does a lot and it's very obvious. Travel with a/c on and travel back with a/c off then you will testify.

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 8:35am On Sep 13, 2017
I am an art student but physics and chemistry was compulsory till ss2 3rd term you can switch
chuksiyk31:

...bro take it easy. ..he could be an art student ....
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by kokostick(m): 8:38am On Sep 13, 2017
AC Doesn't consume fuel the way ppl think..rather the more weight u put on d car causes the Governor to open the inlet value to allow more petrol into d engine.Although it got it's energy from the alternator but it doesn't consume fuel the way ppl think #when it's moving. .its mechanical#

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by erosimo(m): 8:43am On Sep 13, 2017
policy12:

Someone should please help me, my AC is emitting heat.

It is your gas that has finished by leaking. Try and block the leakage and then put another gas after blocking the leakage. Best of luck
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by psalmson001: 8:43am On Sep 13, 2017
yES & NO.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Emeka71(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2017
Wynnah:
Have you noticed that the sound of the Engine slightly changes when you put on the AC? It shows that there is an extra weight.. But, on the highly, it doesn't really have much effect on fuel consumption as it does in Lagos Traffic.
Meaning more fuel is consumed when you put on AC.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Primebuilders(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2017
I will ask this: does increasing more points in your house when u put on ur Gen set increases or reduces the consumption of fuel.
For me I did not give my I PASS MY NEIGHBOR enof point it consumes more fuel so I have to put on my bulbs until the sound normalised
This can be related to the AC issue. If the car was built to carry AC effortlessly it will not affect fuel consumption. But if it was not it will, then it will be like overloading it
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by kokostick(m): 8:45am On Sep 13, 2017
Some still hold on to this pseudo-myth, that using your air conditioning uses more fuel, and that you'll save money driving with your windows open. The real question is "How much?" The answer is "Not much," because using your air conditioning doesn't hurt your fuel economy more than a couple of percentage points.

So, on a 400 km round trip, you might spend 2% more on fuel, but sweat your butt off. Personally, I vote for comfort, and use the air conditioning as it was meant to be used.

4 Likes

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by fashrola(m): 8:46am On Sep 13, 2017
AC is indirectly driven by the car’s engine thus the engine needs to work slightly harder when the AC is operating, and uses slightly more fuel than if it didn’t drive the AC....

Even onboard a ship...where the AC power plant is a stand alone unit... It puts more load on the crankshaft of the generating plants thereby causing the generators to take more fuel to meet the required load...

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by greggng: 8:55am On Sep 13, 2017
policy12:

May be it requires gas. But if u want a qualify ac repairer pls contact me if u live close to gowon
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by RockyEyo(m): 8:57am On Sep 13, 2017
policy12:

Go and clean the A/c vent (servicing) if symptoms persist refill ur gas. That should do the trick......
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by bid4rich(m): 8:59am On Sep 13, 2017
If you are on a traffic and you put on your AC, then your tank will whistle. But if you are on a highway, maybe travelling or driving a long distance with your AC on, it has little or no impact on your tank. I have tried it

The reason being that the same speed it would have cost your AC to run the engine is the same speed the AC is taping from while you are on speed. So from that it has close to Zero impact on your tank But in traffic situation, sorry bro.

3 Likes

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ten06(m): 9:00am On Sep 13, 2017
NLOwner:
For city driving?? Yes it does affect consumption.
But if you're talking about highway driving, then the effect on fuel consumption is very negligible, or nil sef..

It depends!
When on highway your extra fuel consumption as a result of AC can not be zero but it is very small
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by patola080(m): 9:07am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:
With my own little knowledge, I don't think so, because the car A.C, have their own gas cylinder.

I am open to correction.
u re nt correct because dat cylinder can nt work without fuel inside d car
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by hectorharry18(m): 9:11am On Sep 13, 2017
U said it all
Mynd44:
Anything that demands more work/energy from your engine demands more fuel from your tank.

Same way the more weight you have in passengers, the more your fuel consumption as long as it is the same car and other variables are constant
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by wunmi590(m): 9:12am On Sep 13, 2017
patola080:
u re nt correct because dat cylinder can nt work without fuel inside d car

Thanks for the correction cool

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by hinograce: 9:13am On Sep 13, 2017
What I'm not clear on is whether d effect is on battery or fuel? Does radio n navigation system power from battery or fuel? Since u don't need to turn on d engine for some things to work
surveyorng:
Every extra load on the engine directly increases the fuel consumption of the car.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by suavetony(m): 9:14am On Sep 13, 2017
Yes bro it does. Fuel system weather manual or ECU controlled are all linked to the load on the system. The higher the load the more the A/F ratio (A/F is air-fuel). All mechanical systems are the same...is no rocket science. I know both the theory and practical aspect of mechanical so take it from me or any other guru in the house.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by hos4x(m): 9:15am On Sep 13, 2017
policy12:

Na AC you put so or na stove?
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Mechanics96(m): 9:17am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:
With my own little knowledge, I don't think so, because the car A.C, have their own gas cylinder.

I am open to correction.

The car A.C just like the refrigerator consist of the heat exchanger(evaporator) to vapourize the liquid refrigerant, the compressor(pump) to increase the pressure, hence the temperature of the refrigerant, the condenser to condense the gas refrigerant to liquid(at high pressure).
Heat is absorbed from the interior part of the system(car) to convert liquid refrigerant to gas in the heat exchanger and this heat is given off to the surrounding. This is a cycle.
Now, why all this? We should not forget that this A.C system needs power to function, not just the gas(refrigerant). We will liken this to our household refrigerators, they all need alternating current to function! As such, since the car is an electromechanical system, A.C is bound to consume some amount of fuel and increase the specific fluid/fuel consumption(SFC). Although, the fuel consumption is not so pronounced, engine power and efficiency is more important.

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Benosky011(m): 9:18am On Sep 13, 2017
Mohwin:
Me and my freinds have had this discussion and we argued. Me i strongly believe that a car's AC has very little to do with the car engine, instead it is keeping the car windows down that causes drag and increase fuel consumption. I have seen people say they cant put on their AC because the car will consume more fuel. So i need more light on this pls.
It is simply a fact that using your AC imposes some extra load on your engine and the engine responds by consuming more gas. Do not be dismayed however, lots of things can equally make a car use more gas! - Low tire pressure, poor maintenance, poor aerodynamics, driving up hilly terrain, aggressive driving and even carrying more passengers!.

If it comes to decision of air con vs open window, it is more economical to open your windows up to speeds of around 55mph as running the a/c at low engine speed creates extra stress and demand resulting in increased fuel consumption. Above 55mph, it’s better to run the air con as opposed to the extra drag caused by open windows.

Every accessory that you use, even the rear screen demister or the radio drains power from the battery, which is charged by the fuel in your engine. Try to only use accessories for the minimum amount of time that you need.

Don’t forget that your car’s air con should be run for at least five minutes every fortnight to keep the system lubricated and free of leaks, also ensure you use an air conditioning maintenance company to carry out your air conditioning service
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ingyesefa: 9:19am On Sep 13, 2017
Yes, it does.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by handsomeyinka(m): 9:23am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:

I am open to correction.

Hello.,,Ac or heat consumes more gas in your car...if the Ac unit of a car is powered by DC (12v),it won't require any gas but when you turn the AC on in your car,it uses energy supplied to it by the alternator.This energy is coming from the engine,which is using the fuel in your gas tank..
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ewucanbeer: 9:29am On Sep 13, 2017
You are very very wrong! Cars made after 1985 with factory a/c does not consume any much petrol as would require you to sit in a hot car.
Get into your car, start the engine and look at the tachometer (it should be between 500 and 1000) then turn on your a/c, you will notice the tachometr go to 1500 or so, then quickly come back to below 1000. a/c has been factored and compensated for in all engines since 1985! In lay man terms, if you put 1000 Naira in your fuel tank, you would burn 1000 Naira or with a/c it feels like 970 Naira! Would you sweat your balls off for 30 Naira? The most inefficient engines have a 3% power loss when a/c is on. If you are going over 50 km/hour, you actually burn more fuel than with the a/c on. Drag is a square function of speed i.e. D ~ v^2, that is if you travel at 50km/h, your drag quadruples (4 x) when you go at 100km/hr! you do physics in secondary School at all ?[/quote]. Physics in SSCE does not explain this, Mechanical Engineering does! Oh i have done the lab experiment, so i'm speaking as an expert!
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by litaninja(m): 9:31am On Sep 13, 2017
The only person that actually understands the difference between City and Highway driving. At highway speeds, your open windows induce drag, which increase your fuel consumption. The vehicle ends up consuming more than it would if you had the windows rolled up and the A/C unit on.
In that case, to get the best of both worlds, do highway driving, with your windows rolled up and your A/C off.
lmao.

NLOwner:
For city driving?? Yes it does affect consumption.
But if you're talking about highway driving, then the effect on fuel consumption is very negligible, or nil sef..

It depends!
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Akachukwu42(m): 9:33am On Sep 13, 2017
Your car’s air conditioner is an important accessory – it helps keep you and your passengers comfortable and safe during hot weather. However, it’s operated by your engine and places an additional load on your engine when it’s running. That means it increases your fuel expenditure (decreases your fuel economy). How much does it affect your fuel mileage? The answer is: a lot.

How much will my fuel mileage be affected?

Note that there is no single answer to this question, as there are a number of different factors in play. The actual temperature outside will have an effect, as will the size of your engine, the make and model of your car, the condition of your air conditioning system and many others. However, the US EPA notes that running the air conditioner in very hot weather can increase your fuel consumption by up to 25%, and that the effect of using the AC in a hybrid or electric vehicle can be even greater.

The best defense against decreasing fuel economy is actually pretty simple – use your windows at lower speeds, and turn on the air when you hit the highway. Of course, open windows increase drag, which also reduces fuel economy, but the impact isn’t as great as running the AC at lower speeds.

Ensuring that your air conditioning system and engine are properly maintained will also help improve your fuel economy. Regular oil changes and clean air filters can do a great deal to improve your fuel mileage. Ensuring that your AC system has the right level of refrigerant is also an important consideration here.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by ogtavia(m): 9:34am On Sep 13, 2017
From personal experience yes it does....however even after your AC is turned off,factors like driving style,tire pressure and live load of the vehicle also influence the fuel oonsumption of a vehicle.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ewucanbeer: 9:35am On Sep 13, 2017
Why are you giving wrong info to people? You sir are quack! you have absolutely no knowledge in this issue.
handsomeyinka:

Hello.,,Ac or heat consumes more gas in your car...if the Ac unit of a car is powered by DC (12v),it won't require any gas but when you turn the AC on in your car,it uses energy supplied to it by the alternator.This energy is coming from the engine,which is using the fuel in your gas tank..
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by WrathOfHadez(m): 9:38am On Sep 13, 2017
Mohwin:
Me and my freinds have had this discussion and we argued. Me i strongly believe that a car's AC has very little to do with the car engine, instead it is keeping the car windows down that causes drag and increase fuel consumption. I have seen people say they cant put on their AC because the car will consume more fuel. So i need more light on this pls.
the both of you just learnt driving or what?

Using your AC in traffic or driving below 60 km/hr should take up a little more fuel.

However, going from 80 km/hr and above with AC should consume less fuel than doing the same speed with windows down
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ewucanbeer: 9:39am On Sep 13, 2017
The EPA is an environmental organization, and is inclined to be alarmist! The same EPA that certified 3 mile Island? They still claim the best fuel economy comes at 55 MPH! it is closer to 70 MPH today!
Akachukwu42:
Your car’s air conditioner is an important accessory – it helps keep you and your passengers comfortable and safe during hot weather. However, it’s operated by your engine and places an additional load on your engine when it’s running. That means it increases your fuel expenditure (decreases your fuel economy). How much does it affect your fuel mileage? The answer is: a lot.

Note that there is no single answer to this question, as there are a number of different factors in play. The actual temperature outside will have an effect, as will the size of your engine, the make and model of your car, the condition of your air conditioning system and many others. However, the US EPA notes that running the air conditioner in very hot weather can increase your fuel consumption by up to 25%, and that the effect of using the AC in a hybrid or electric vehicle can be even greater.

The best defense against decreasing fuel economy is actually pretty simple – use your windows at lower speeds, and turn on the air when you hit the highway. Of course, open windows increase drag, which also reduces fuel economy, but the impact isn’t as great as running the AC at lower speeds.

Ensuring that your air conditioning system and engine are properly maintained will also help improve your fuel economy. Regular oil changes and clean air filters can do a great deal to improve your fuel mileage. Ensuring that your AC system has the right level of refrigerant is also an important consideration here.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by donqx: 9:47am On Sep 13, 2017
yes
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by sunkanmihassan1(m): 9:50am On Sep 13, 2017
Akachukwu42:

This is the best comment I've read on this thread. I wonder whether some people making comments here have ever used a car.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / If Nigerian Mechanics Were Medical Doctors / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8-Hrs Of Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.