Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,863 members, 7,824,591 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? (29862 Views)

Does Changing A Cars AC Affect Fuel Economy? / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / How To Calculate Fuel Consumption In Your Car Using Innoson G5 As A Case-study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 5:25pm On Sep 13, 2017
The AC compressor is propelled by engine via the serpentine belt....seriously

Do you have a car at all ?
Livinusc:
From my own little idea,i think the car AC uses battery in stead of engine because without battery the car AC can not work even if u start the engine so i think that is the little i can offer.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by richiepolymer(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2017
Mohwin:
Me and my freinds have had this discussion and we argued. Me i strongly believe that a car's AC has very little to do with the car engine, instead it is keeping the car windows down that causes drag and increase fuel consumption. I have seen people say they cant put on their AC because the car will consume more fuel. So i need more light on this pls.

Try to observe the rpm when you turn in the AC and when you turn it off. Do you notice a difference in the rpm? It tells you of the load on the engine.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by osifred(m): 7:08pm On Sep 13, 2017
surveyorng:
Every extra load on the engine directly increases the fuel consumption of the car.

with exception of the passengers. other loads like what please?
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Mechanics96(m): 7:25pm On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:

Nice explanation, if all lecturers were to be like you, no student would be dull.

Very intelligent explanation

Thanks

Thanks, Wunmi
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by hinograce: 10:57pm On Sep 13, 2017
OK noted!
surveyorng:

Once the engine is set to work after being powered by the battery, everything is on the engine only if the alternator is very efficient. The effect of extra loads is on fuel consumption not on the battery...
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by HRtechnique: 11:41pm On Sep 13, 2017
Joshkid:
How do you want others to benefit from it then

I agree.
Was just playing around.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Deban: 12:42am On Sep 14, 2017
While in driving school in the Netherlands for the Dutch licence, we were taught that a car driving on open windows consume more fuel because the air or breeze coming into the car would mean that you have to accelerate more to maintain. your speed, therefore consuming more fuel. But, when a car AC is inbuilt, it does not consume as much fuel driving with the AC on as it consumes when you put the windows down.

During the computer based theory, this question fuel consumption was on it. The correct answer is that the car consumes more fuel when windows are open or glasses are rolled down than when windows are closed and AC on.

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by senator2k9(m): 4:38am On Sep 14, 2017
Wynnah:
Have you noticed that the sound of the Engine slightly changes when you put on the AC? It shows that there is an extra weight.. But, on the highly, it doesn't really have much effect on fuel consumption as it does in Lagos Traffic.
bros this analysis is for an old car jare or a car that the ac was forged n they bypass the ECU. in my car u won't even notice the ac is on coz the rpm remains constant. this is so because immediately the ac is on the ECU detects n injects more fuel into the combustion chamber to maintain a steady rpm automatically. no need to depress the accelerator pedal.

as for the main question op asked, it has a very little or meagre difference in the fuel consumption. if u travel with a lot of load without ac for 2hrs is same thing with travelling with ac ON for 2hrs without load. so why suffer urself in naija heat
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Noble37(m): 2:26pm On Jun 15, 2020
My car AC does not show any sign of life when it is turned o. What could be the fault of the AC? I need help please, I don't want the technician to scam me when I take it for repairs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cars Floating Down A River In New Jersey (Photos, Video) / Dangers Of Placing Your Feet On The Dashboard Of Your Car / 15 Interesting Facts About Armoured Vehicles That Most People Might Not Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.