Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,069 members, 7,956,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:51 AM

U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum (560 Views)

Mass Shooting At Kurdish Center In Paris. 3 Dead, shooter Arrested / Russia vetoes U.N. Security Action On Ukraine As China Abstains / Iraqi Protesters Bring Out Lions To Counter Police Dogs (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 5:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The United Nations said on Thursday it will not have a role in the Iraqi Kurdish referendum on independence planned to be held in September.

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) said in a statement released on Thursday that “it has no intention to be engaged in any way or form as concerns the referendum, to be held on 25 September”.

Iraq’s Kurds said the referendum on independence will go ahead despite warnings from western powers that a vote in favor of secession could trigger conflict with Baghdad at a time when the war against Islamic State is not yet won.

The Kurds are playing a major role in the U.S.-backed campaign to defeat Islamic State (IS), the ultra-hardline Sunni Islamist group that overran about a third of Iraq three years ago and also controls parts of Syria.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-kurds-un/u-n-says-wont-play-a-part-in-iraqi-kurdish-referendum-idUSKBN1961U7

I wonder why the US, EU and UN are not supporting this Kurdish unconstitutional referendum? Nnamdi Kanu is living in a fantasy world, I feel sorry for his followers. What Trump couldn't do for his allies, he will do for an IPOB nobody?

cc Lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by vedaxcool(m): 5:44pm On Sep 18, 2017
jpphilips:

I wonder why the US, EU and UN are not supporting this Kurdish unconstitutional referendum? Nnamdi Kanu is living in a fantasy world, I feel sorry for his followers. What Trump couldn't do for his allies, he will do for an IPOB nobody?

Beerfraud... a lie told to the unemployed and downtrodden so that a lazy worm beneath notice and an astute failure can be fed.

1 Like

Re: U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Omololu007(m): 5:52pm On Sep 18, 2017
jpphilips:

the Kurdish forces are in possession of a lot of military equipment. Pata pata they will go to war with iraq

1 Like

Re: U.N. Says Won’t Play A Part In Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 6:23pm On Sep 18, 2017
Omololu007:
the Kurdish forces are in possession of a lot of military equipment. Pata pata they will go to war with iraq

The US gave them the arms, they promised Turkey they will mop it up, remember, Turkey another Opposition to the referendum is Iraq's neighbor & NATO on whose border, Erbil the proposed Kurdish capital is situated.
Another thing you must note is that you may have what it takes to start a war but you may not have what it takes to sustain it. Every ammo can be expended, if Barzai (Kurdish president) dares divert those arms to fight an Iraqi government that the US has spent a lot of money and blood to build, the party will be over. The US will withdraw their support, you can only imagine what Iraq will do to them afterwards.
I agree with you completely that the Kurds are puffing because they are armed to the teeth, how sustainable is it, is the right question.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

N.Korea Holding Secret Talks With US Diplomats To Find Out If Trump is crazy / Breaking: Mugabe defies intense pressure to Resign As President Of Zimbabwe. / First Photos Of Robert And Grace Mugabe Since Resignation.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.