Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,262 members, 7,829,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Battery Disconnection; A Sure Way To Electrical/electronic Damage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Battery Disconnection; A Sure Way To Electrical/electronic Damage (956 Views)

5 Car Parts Potholes Can Damage / Ladies Damage Their Cheating Boyfriends Cars (Photos) / Steering Control Buttons Not Responding After Battery Disconnection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Battery Disconnection; A Sure Way To Electrical/electronic Damage by TRYGO(m): 6:03pm On Sep 18, 2017
INTRODUCTION

You returned from work, back home, to the warmth embrace of your wife(or wives) and children, only to realised that your planned outing with the family to the grocery store, has somewhat being delayed, or cut short by the car just refusing to start.

Turned the ignition switch ON, only to hear some "ka!!! sound, without any corresponding engine firing up.

What he does? He calls Mr Trump(well, his my ally though. If you hate him, you're part of those liberals too. I'm joking though), and say, " could you lend me your auxiliary battery (12V), so I could start my car?".

Trump replied, "hey, dude! I'm upstairs, coming right down to lend that " juice".

Trumps friends eventually gets the car stated up, ready for his outing with his family.

So, what did he do next?

He quickly removed one of the battery terminals from the borrowed battery running in his car, and swapped that with the car's original battery.

That way, he was able to kind of successfully take the family to the grocery that evening.

Thanks to my friend TRUMP though.

The story above, points to some of the practices car owners, and even technicians embark upon.

Some don't even see anything wrong with this practice.

They tell you, we've being doing this even before now, and nothing has happened.

Well, you may be right, but HAVE YOU EVER IMAGINED WHY FOR INSTANCE, YOUR ECU MODULE SUDDENLY FAILED, OR SOME COMPONENT WIRING HARNESSES MELTED?

It may not happen instantly, but the impacts of such a practice are astronomical.

They simply disconnect the battery terminals of the battery of a running engine, never knowing the terrible effects that causes.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN BATTERY TERMINALS ARE REMOVED FROM A RUNNING ENGINE?

¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶The car's electrical/electronic systems suffer from over voltage (voltage surge)¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶

**melted wiring harnesses

**gradual degradation of wires

**failure of components

Here's the dynamics:

1. All electrical and electronic system's power lines are connected to the generator(alternator).

As the generator works, it recharges the 12volt battery, ensuring that the output designed currents required by accessories, and the car's ECU (brain), are kept functioning optimally.

In the eventuality that one or all of the terminals are disconnected and the battery swapped, high voltage in the range of 70-120volts are fed into the car's power line, which turn, exposes the connected wiring harnesses to degradation, wire stresses, and a potential component failure.

Remember, these systems operate under a certain high voltage design threshold, that when exceeded, would cause tremendous thermal stresses and increased temperature rise, that poses a safety risk to occupants, and a likely fire outbreak.

Integrated circuits, power circuit boards, etc are fried in the process, costing you a huge "hole" in your pocket.

2. Loss of the car's memory. These days, cars are programmed to operate based on certain thresholds of information shared between various CAN communication links.

The car's ECU, looks to compare values from what it sees from various sensors/solenoids, etc, to make informed decisions.

Any disruption in the information gathered and stored in on the ECU, would render the car's operability useless.

In some cases, ECU memory failures would cause poor fuel economy problems, and a no start problem, depending on the extend of damage.

HOW DO YOU CURB THIS PRACTICE AND ITS (-VE) IMPACTS?

Its that simple!

When you got a battery weak problem at hand, DON'T SWAP YOUR CAR'S BATTERY FOR ANYTHING. INSTEAD, GET A JUMP START CABLE WITH THE RATED CAPACITY TO JUMP START THE CAR.

CONCLUSION
It has almost become a tradition, for people to swap weak batteries for a known good donor battery. But the problem lies in that people are gradually causing exponential damage(s) to their car's electrical/electronic systems/components, as they do so.

Buying a jump start cable, or recharging the weak battery with a home 12volt battery charger, would revive the battery, and give it more "juice".

Get a jump start cable(just costs approximately, #2000), or a charger today. This saves you a whole lot of cost in replacement of expensive parts.

Regards,
Joseph
08066643531(WhatsApp/call)
DW Nig Ltd

(1) (Reply)

Which One Did Your Dad Use? / I Need A Car To Rent For 2 Days Event / The Most Reliable Online Taxi Booking Company In Portharcourt. PAMDRIVE.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.