Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:37 PM

Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? (23106 Views)

Teachers Registration Council Says Unqualified Teachers To Go In December / ‘pupils Drug Teachers To Cheat During Exams’ / 'No Be Say I No Go Pay! They Go Flog Tire' T-shirt For Warri Schoolgirl, Success (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by guru03(m): 8:01pm On Sep 19, 2017
My Dad was a teacher, he flogged the hell out of me, and am sure he's happy that am doing well were ever he his, RIP Dad. If children are not flogged the society becomes a den, the better for us to discipline them.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by chiraqDemon(m): 8:06pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
well we are yet to verify your character... morals and upbringing. FLOGGING did wonders for many of us.... and would do wonders if applied in FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES.... things like teen killings, drug abuses,LGBT would not see the light of day if it was flogged out of them promptly when they were younger... MY OPINION O.

these things also do exist in Nigeria but they are done in secret and others simply don't make the news. Some of us that do drugs now have been caught and flogged before but it changed nothing. Flogging only makes one think of methods to do these things without being caught. There are other examples too many to write sef

The issue is not in the flogging itself, it's in communication, if u flog and flog and just tell the child i will flog you if you smoke cigarettes In my house again, the kid might actually get more curious about it, but if u sit down and communicate the reasons and all that then there is a higher probability of the kid staying away from those things even when he is out of your sight.

My opinion o too. I respect yours as well. Peace.
Also I think if u r for flogging please nor make am fight cos the way I've seen some ppl beat up kids is plain scary and unacceptable
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by countryboyz: 8:06pm On Sep 19, 2017
that cane is what put sense in you.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Litmus: 8:14pm On Sep 19, 2017
Flogging is good. Don't let the fact that the West largely brought about the scientific and technological world of today lure you into believing that they are the masters of all things and our ways inferior to theirs in every manifestation. They have since evolved in ways that have brought about a social dysfunctionality, hidden from the unobservant by means of well-oild superstructure.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by kizyalex10(m): 8:16pm On Sep 19, 2017
Well kids of nowadays re so spoilt because of this invention(no flogging)nd dis our indomie generation mothers,that thinks packing. Books on a child's head alone means she have achieved good parenting,u see a small girl or boy u know when he or she was born,walk pass u without any form of greeting maybe because u. Re. Nt as rich as their parents nd who re u to admonish them,the. Parents will attack u like a stinging bee.same goes with teachers,that why I advice. Parents to Nt take dia kids to private sch,if govt sch is too poor,try missionary.private sch is like a business,they do flashy things to get customers,write exams for kids nd u think ur child is a genuis,let them compete with other kids then u see them fail flat..our own time,our teachers flog us even in Advance.u will ask,what did I do,dey will say u didn't do anything but I knw u will ddo sometin soon.lol(na. D stubborn ones they treat this way ooo)yet we didn't die but learnt from. Our mistakes.even we can't. Tell our parents out of fear they will come to the sch nd disgrace us d part 2.same With our parents.so. We re Nt spared anywhere we commit d crime,even In church.even neighbours can spank u for messing up nd ur parents support Them.thatz why u can't compare d earlier generation have manners more than d current ones.flogging most times is Nt hatred but correction.now even parents challenge teachers or change sch when their kidss have poor grades instead of scolding d child.i served in a private sch,so for them to make sure they fool d parents,they don't put position in report sheets,give extra mark to avoid too much red pen,then crown it with the teachers writing waec for them.u won't truely knw d ability of ur child
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by kayalla(f): 8:21pm On Sep 19, 2017
u that ask this question sef deserve the flogging cheesy

ah! flogging is very legal in Nigeria o

if not for the floggings i received growing up only God would know my future.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Windflower(f): 8:24pm On Sep 19, 2017
Mrchusenvessel:
During Our Nursery,primary,secondary School Days,there Is Just One Teacher We Are Afraid Of,guess Who ? The One Whose Cane Hurt The Most.So This Question Just Pop Into My Mind Isd It Legal For Teachers To Beat In Nigeria?
Its not legal, dunno for private schools but the public school I was posted,instruction was given from above that no teacher should flog a child.
Also,as an educationist you don't flog pupils,you enforce discipline through other means.
That been said,its depends on the circumstances. Today was so frustrating for me,pupils that I only see once in a week because its is a centre,we cannot compare public and private school pupils,the difference is crystal clear.
For a class of over 50 primary student,I could not flog them,the highest I could do was walk them out of the class,yet they don't feel remorseful. To the extent that one crossed her leg and when I asked her she told me she was tired,a primary six pupil already forming big gurl.
My point is pupil in public schools come from a non privileged background that makes them behave razz.
Imagine a parent coming to complain that her child doesn't practice good personal hygiene, is it the responsibility of the teacher to do that. They pollute and mess up the class even when there is a waist bin. If I wasn't a very patient person and having studied education, I would have totally beaten the hell out of them.

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 19, 2017
When frustration dey country what do u expect, there take out their anger on poor kids
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by dmg1: 8:27pm On Sep 19, 2017
abike12:
I don't know if it's legal or not but I personally don't support it. Disciplining a child is not just about beating them because you are frustrated or to show seniority, it should be done with intention and communication with the child - you are getting your behind whooped because you did xyz, do you understand why xyz is wrong, do you know if you do xyz you will get your behind whooped again, etc. Then a show of love to reassure the child, that you're not there to hurt them but to make them do better. No teacher gets paid enough to do all this, my child, my responsibility to discipline. Add to the fact that a lot of teachers in Nigeria are frustrated (thank you underpaying government), and it's a recipe for disaster. Your child's cane will be extra because their parents have money. Don't touch my child. If a school feels a child's behavior is unacceptable then expel the child but don't discipline other people's kids. If they can't teach without cane then all of them need to go back to school to learn.
flogging will nt kill your child it's called "forcefull correction", sparing a child is spoilling a child, i'll advice u to ensure strict discipline to ur wards
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Daeylar(f): 8:29pm On Sep 19, 2017
abike12:
I don't know if it's legal or not but I personally don't support it. Disciplining a child is not just about beating them because you are frustrated or to show seniority

That's what most of them do, just to show who they are

it should be done with intention and communication with the child - you are getting your behind whooped because you did xyz, do you understand why xyz is wrong, do you know if you do xyz you will get your behind whooped again, etc. Then a show of love to reassure the child, that you're not there to hurt them but to make them do better.
Absolute truth

No teacher gets paid enough to do all this, my child, my responsibility to discipline. Add to the fact that a lot of teachers in Nigeria are frustrated (thank you underpaying government), and it's a recipe for disaster. Your child's cane will be extra because their parents have money. Don't touch my child. If a school feels a child's behavior is unacceptable then expel the child but don't discipline other people's kids. If they can't teach without cane then all of them need to go back to school to learn.

Nice piece

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by dejt4u(m): 8:32pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hajardramadan:

section what and what
chapter 5 section number 43.. I have the PDF copy if you want it
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by dejt4u(m): 8:39pm On Sep 19, 2017
Hajardramadan:

section what and what
get the copy here

https://www.google.com.ng/url?q=https://www.trcn.gov.ng/PUBLICATION/CODE%2520OF%2520CONDUCT.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj3w-yG_rHWAhUCaVAKHU0KAWMQFggeMAI&usg=AFQjCNG0QxJG9ut1rCcG31RTE6ZStwwOOA
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by imagrg(m): 8:47pm On Sep 19, 2017
I am a teacher. Believe me, if flogging is proscribed, the character of the child suffers moral decay!
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 8:48pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
If you were not FLOGGED, would you be as educated as you are to be able to compose this thread post? Some things you were not flogged for while you were a child are the same things now you are struggling with.... LIFE FLOGS US ALL with invisible CANE strokes. Teachers only do the physical....

If you waste your salary on games n sweets n doing whatever you like, HUNGER and POVERTY becomes the flogging that follows such wasteful spending

If you do not read or upgrade your knowledge about things, then you can never grow in business or in the workplace therefore INSULTS and LOSSES will be the flogging for such person

If you are a liar, cheat and are never satisfied with what you have till you get someone else's own.... HEART BREAKS IN RELATIONSHIPS with many INSULTS and NAME TAGS will be the person's flogging.

LIFE FLOGS US ALL. LIFE IS A TEACHER.

So how does any of this answer his simple question....is it legal for teachers to flog students?

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by abduljabbar4(m): 8:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:
If you were not FLOGGED, would you be as educated as you are to be able to compose this thread post? Some things you were not flogged for while you were a child are the same things now you are struggling with.... LIFE FLOGS US ALL with invisible CANE strokes. Teachers only do the physical....

If you waste your salary on games n sweets n doing whatever you like, HUNGER and POVERTY becomes the flogging that follows such wasteful spending

If you do not read or upgrade your knowledge about things, then you can never grow in business or in the workplace therefore INSULTS and LOSSES will be the flogging for such person

If you are a liar, cheat and are never satisfied with what you have till you get someone else's own.... HEART BREAKS IN RELATIONSHIPS with many INSULTS and NAME TAGS will be the person's flogging.

man forget that thing. I attended essence international school, kaduna and flogging or any other form of turture wasnt aloud except sitting on the floor yet the school is always one of the top performers in Kaduna state. The students are also well disciplined unlike those of other schools.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by adims96(m): 9:00pm On Sep 19, 2017
the op that is asking this question: were u raised in africa at all?
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by kabie(m): 9:08pm On Sep 19, 2017
abike12:
I don't know if it's legal or not but I personally don't support it. Disciplining a child is not just about beating them because you are frustrated or to show seniority, it should be done with intention and communication with the child - you are getting your behind whooped because you did xyz, do you understand why xyz is wrong, do you know if you do xyz you will get your behind whooped again, etc. Then a show of love to reassure the child, that you're not there to hurt them but to make them do better. No teacher gets paid enough to do all this, my child, my responsibility to discipline. Add to the fact that a lot of teachers in Nigeria are frustrated (thank you underpaying government), and it's a recipe for disaster. Your child's cane will be extra because their parents have money. Don't touch my child. If a school feels a child's behavior is unacceptable then expel the child but don't discipline other people's kids. If they can't teach without cane then all of them need to go back to school to learn.
idiot
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by AuroraB(f): 9:18pm On Sep 19, 2017
Those who were flogged grow up to take it out on the younger ones. Sadists angry
Monkeys sad
Not flogging your own kids kills them nosy ones. Someone is up there alluding educational achievement to flogging. These are the kinda people that lives amongst the sane few grin
Tueh angry
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Ifine(f): 9:22pm On Sep 19, 2017
receive sense noooooooooow
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by tallfish145(m): 9:51pm On Sep 19, 2017
very right,
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by molekoole(m): 9:52pm On Sep 19, 2017
abike12:
Damn!

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Vokians(m): 9:55pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:

Very much on point.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by molekoole(m): 9:57pm On Sep 19, 2017
if not for the floggings i received growing up only God would know my future.[/quote]

Hope it's certain now [/quote]
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by handsomebanana(m): 9:58pm On Sep 19, 2017
Flogging does absolutely nothing.

After deep introspection as a teen, I made a conscious decision to stop my bad habits, because I realized that if I didn't, it wouldn't be long before I ended up dead.

Flogging did nothing.
There tear my head scatter, beat me till I lost consciousness on separate occasions and ended up at d hospital.
Yet, change nor gree show.

Abeg make man hear word joor

1 Like

Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by abike12(f): 9:58pm On Sep 19, 2017
dmg1:

flogging will nt kill your child it's called "forcefull correction", sparing a child is spoilling a child, i'll advice u to ensure strict discipline to ur wards

they flogged u but they didn't teach you to read, o ma se o. go back and read my post.
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by mcyemite(m): 10:29pm On Sep 19, 2017
Before I tell you whether it's legal or not,tell me something that's illegal in nigeria?
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Gloria3389(f): 10:46pm On Sep 19, 2017
grin see question ooo...
u dey question the legality of what has been resetting naija pikin brain since 1900

them flog us, we spoil like this.....if them no con flog us nko

besides,those strokes made us stronger. ...
na why white teens dey commit suicide on top small matter cos they no dey flog them and make them strong
..e go hard to see correct naija pikin wey dem wire well well for school even for matter wey no concern him dey commit suicide cos of small shit

Another thing be say na flogging make 90% of naija literates today literates
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Primenet(m): 10:48pm On Sep 19, 2017

It's LEGAL
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:01pm On Sep 19, 2017
a lot of things have change in the country so flogging of a child in Nigerian school is neither legal nor illegal. .back in the days, the teacher dat scold or flog the most is the most feared, respected n deem to instil discipline in d child. .
now none of this things can happen again in our schools, especially in our private schools. .the private schools are the ones that hv killed Nigerian educational sector. .u cannot dare flog or even scold a child in private school even if he or she is found quality be it legal or illegal. .
so the question is don't even flog a child o. .Ida parents fit come for fight self. .or withdraw the child from the school, arrest the teacher if n.a. private school. .
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by freecocoa(f): 11:33pm On Sep 19, 2017
greatnaija01:

Simple question, you are writing plenty, who ask you all these one now?
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:38am On Sep 20, 2017
I don't care oo, I will pay extra money to my children's school for them to of them welu welu if they do stupid things
Re: Is It Legal For Teachers To Flog Students In Nigeria? by RaeMystix: 3:05am On Sep 20, 2017
It should be considered illegal. There are Punishments other the use of physical force.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FUTO Students Represent Nigeria In Dubai Hultprize 2016 (photos) / Adebayo Bamire Is Obafemi Awolowo University's 12th Vice-Chancellor (Photo) / My Matriculation Number Was Used For Another Student After Graduating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.