Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,160 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Resignation Palaver - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Resignation Palaver (1546 Views)

Drama In The Office As I Tender My Resignation After Getting A New Job. / Job Resignation. .. / Check Out This Resignation Letter (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Resignation Palaver by deezzle(m): 9:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
My boss, who claims that I do not add any value to his team, is refusing to accept my resignation letter. He even asked HR to cancel my already-approved leave. What do u suggest I do as i had already bought my flight tickets(for wife and !) for about 500k!!!
Re: Resignation Palaver by AjanleKoko: 8:10am On Mar 03, 2010
deezzle:

My boss, who claims that I do not add any value to his team, is refusing to accept my resignation letter. He even asked HR to cancel my already-approved leave. What do u suggest I do as i had already bought my flight tickets(for wife and !) for about 500k!!!

So is he planning to fire you or something?
Re: Resignation Palaver by ellagold(m): 2:53am On Mar 05, 2010
Please tread softly,I suggest you seek legal advise also before making your final decision, then pray for God guidance
Re: Resignation Palaver by joshO: 5:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
Give him small blow in the nose! grin
Re: Resignation Palaver by mikkyphp(m): 2:34pm On Mar 08, 2010
simply walk out(you were going to resign anyway) smiley. but frist read your company's SOP or your terms of employment.
Re: Resignation Palaver by Iranoladun(f): 6:31pm On Mar 08, 2010
What are the terms of separation/resignation in your contract & the company employee policy?
Re: Resignation Palaver by deezzle(m): 9:16pm On Mar 08, 2010
Thanks guys.
the contract reads that either party should give 30 days notice before termination of the contract. Colleagues have said i should have lied that i was going on leave and send the letter from there but i felt that was unprofessional and cowardly. So i decided to do the right thing. Next thing, my leave was reversed and i believe that the March salary might not be paid.
Wat should i do? I am still working, even on a verge of closing a deal for a month that is 99% sure they wont pay.
thanks
Re: Resignation Palaver by yemmight(m): 6:03pm On Mar 23, 2010
No organization can pronounce they will not accept your resignation except for the following reasons

1. If you are on loan and you have not sought yourself as regards outstanding
2. If there is an investigation relating a fraudulent etc
3. May be you signed a bond holding down with the company.

Since you are versed with what the company policy says about notice period, your resignation start counting from the date of submission. I understand your management may not pay your salary for March if you leave this ending but that will not stop you for leaving, especially if you are leaving for good. So the option you have;

1. Is there any need to sue them? It’s your option. But I am telling you will triumph if you do that as long as necessary procedures are
followed when observing your resignation.
2. You also need to inform your to be new place of the current activities because bad employer will stop at nothing in spoiling peoples
careers especially when they felt threatened on exit of a staff.
3. On a final note try so hard you leave on a good note with your current employer. Especially your current boss and both your junior and
senior colleagues and the owner of the business. Most times always good to leave on a good note. Good luck.
Re: Resignation Palaver by deezzle(m): 2:12am On Apr 05, 2010
thank you for your advices, guys. Believe me they were put intop good use and i appreciate y'all.
@Seun, thanks once again for developing this forum. Nairaland has made a lot of impossibilities possible due to the presence of anonymous great minds.

Well, the drama continues. I resigned honorably and on a good note despite the ill-treatment and daily verbal abuse i got while actually doing the right thing. I was able to keep a smile on my face beacuse my focus was on my destination and not the present situation as it were.

I discovered however that my salary for March was not paid. I have evidences in mails sent, handover documents forwarded and even the daily register signed showing that I was fully on the job during the month of March.

Please, your valuable advse is needed as i do not want to be cheated.

A part of me is saying go public if I do not get any tangible reason from them but honestly guys, i need ur help as my decision now will be rash as a result of the anger i feel.

Thank you
Re: Resignation Palaver by AjanleKoko: 4:46am On Apr 05, 2010
Sounds like you were working for a one-man organization, with no HR per se.
They can't just decide to not pay you, there are rules. You can take them on, if you can afford legal representation.
Re: Resignation Palaver by deezzle(m): 12:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
It is a one-man like u said but a major player in the industry.

i have a feeling my boss asked them to and believe me, i will ensure this will be the last they try.

my line of action starts from a subtle request on why i wasn't paid. wat follows will now depend on their response to my query.

they have been doing it, i heard but me no go gree cos i worked.
Re: Resignation Palaver by deezzle(m): 12:35pm On Apr 05, 2010
It is a one-man like u said but a major player in the industry.

i have a feeling my boss asked them to and believe me, i will ensure this will be the last they try.

my line of action starts from a subtle request on why i wasn't paid. wat follows will now depend on their response to my query.

they have been doing it, i heard but me no go gree cos i worked.
Re: Resignation Palaver by etutor: 3:40pm On Apr 05, 2010
Go through your appointment letter with a legal adviser. Pray b4 you take a final decision
Re: Resignation Palaver by jericho: 10:54am On Apr 09, 2010
Deezle, at common law, an employer has no right to refuse to accept an employers resignation. This is because the employment itself is contractual in nature and one party cannot force the other to work for him.

Your situation is rather unfortunate bearing in mind that it is a one man thing. However i woud suggest that you write formally to the company stating that you had earlier issued a letter of resignation and that despite that your salary has not been paid. Make sure your get it offically acknowledge. In this regard i would sugges that you use a courier company to have the letter deleivered. Reason is that the letter would form part of your documents in the event that you have to go to court to prove that the act of the of witholding your salary was indeed malicious. If no response is received, write a reminder, this way you keep building a solid case against the compnay.

It would be in your best interest if this issue is resolved amicably because you will always need the reference from your employer for the future. That said does not mean you have to denied what is legally us.

regards,

J
Re: Resignation Palaver by cecegorz(m): 2:26pm On Apr 09, 2010
Hey Dude,

I don't know if one-man businesses play by the rules of Engagement in other climes, but in Naija, believe me, the boss is da damn king.

I've been there and i can tell you they can treat employees like s**t. And i believe that's one basic reason why their business gets buried with them immediately they die.

Imagine, your boss dictating to HR to cancel an approved leave? (hope they didn't withdraw the leave allowance)
In a corporate firm its solely an HR affair.
The best you can do is leave them with money and walk,  exactly what i did when my then first employer started acting up. if he sees me today, he will hide his face in shame.

(1) (Reply)

Jarus,ajanlekoko,tkb417, Lawuyi And Others, I Need Ur Advice. / Residency Program For Doctors In Nigeria / Masters(mba) Or ICAN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.