Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,969 members, 7,817,843 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 PM

A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence (16217 Views)

Is Ponmile By Reminisce Overrated Or Underrated? / Reminisce And Ola Dips Dancing Lalakukulala / Download Ponmile By Reminisce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by tourphland(m): 7:40am On Sep 24, 2017
Make we hear word for this domestic violence shit yesterday someone posted a video yesterday when a lady was harassing d baby papa's mum if they give that one beating now, domestic violence.
............ Man and woman we are same let's take credit for our actions pls

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by opedaydydx9(m): 7:46am On Sep 24, 2017
So am gonna download it now, wow much awaited video
Modified.. So this dumb fu*ck actually criticized the video, Omo the video is so touchy....
Odunlade always up to expectation
Reminisce is a bad guy though...
Dope shit

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by tyson98: 7:48am On Sep 24, 2017
That song is Dope!
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Sammy213(m): 7:51am On Sep 24, 2017
Gud one
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Godspleasure01(m): 7:53am On Sep 24, 2017
stephen109:

na you sabi.
savagery of the highest order ������
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Boyooosa(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:

True but nagging should never be responded to with slaps
Try harder, your statement is incomplete. Don't encourage nagging in marital homes please.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by maxnedu11(m): 8:00am On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:

that's true, life would be less complicated and the world a better place if people can just tolerate each other.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by teelaw4life(m): 8:05am On Sep 24, 2017
OEPHIUS:
Just when I thought my song of this month is Cardi B's Bodak Yellow, I stumbled on one that blew me out of the water.

"Ponmile" by Reminisce is great. The audio, cool and then I saw the video. I was enjoying it until it got to a point and I hated the song. I hated the song not because the song was not good and all but the video passes a subtle message that made my entire body revolt.

It featured Adekunle Odunlade and Lota Chukwu, great acting by the two of them except for some flaws.

1. When he slapped her in 2:58, I am pretty sure he slapped her left cheek so why was she holding her right cheek? Oh well……maybe reverbration happened but the second issue is my main issue.

2. The song goes
"I love you no more, ko ma kin se'se ooooo (I love you no more is not a sin)
If you don't love me again, please let me know
Malo je kin ka e mo corner pele brother Samu (dont let it be that I find you cheating with some guy)
Olewu ooo; its very dangerous"

For a song that carried such words, I didnt expect it to have a domestic violence scene. Yeah yeah, he had a disclaimer in the end about how he doesnt believe in DV but isnt it weird that all through the song, the man was keeping in the madness his wife was throwing at him. He was keeping his demons chained until it got to the part where Reminisce said cheating for her will be dangerous.

You are in a country where domestic violence (especially against women) is high and you come out to do a video that subtly promotes it (the disclaimer doesnt do it please).

I told a friend that I will prefer if the video showed that the man imagined the entire domestic violence part and he just snapped out of it and decided to look at her and say "I need a divorce" not end where the man raise a machete, and changed his mind about killing her.

We know the man never actually proved that she was cheating just suspicions and he started acting weird which was what made the woman go psycho.

Before you go "but it is just a song; an artistic impression", please I have heard where peoole use songs to relate to their personal lives and musicians should try harder to make things better not make it look okay and then do a disclaimer.

Olamide's "Story for the gods" and the date rape all over the song is another source of concern but issue for another day.

By the way, here is a video of the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vDQQSvJf8

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove

Op...upon say dem write Odunlade Adekola's name in the video, you still managed to butcher it to Adekunle. Tell me why I'm supposed to take your critique seriously.

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Coloradvantage(m): 8:13am On Sep 24, 2017
Jimmy231:
who be this one.. Nigeria and unemployment this one now fit they call himself music analyst
how does unemployment and been a Nigerian have to do with analysing an issue from your own perspective ... bros. this review is very healthy, even reminisce will be happy to see it.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by iamkingzlee(m): 8:17am On Sep 24, 2017
Akshow:
That song is on my replay. Lit
Always bruv, always! I now even sing it better than the person wey get song sef cheesy

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by hush15: 8:18am On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:

@myndd44,

You wrong my dear. Nagging often produce slaps because it's a resultant effect not because you want to but it's slapping encoding is in the nagging because nagging is very provocative, fustrating and can lead to sucidal tendencies and the only relief is to vent out that frustration. Bottling it all in in very dangerous!!!!

You never know when that hands went up for the slapping. I refute and strongly in emphatic terms do not support domestic violence and both parties should not be encouraged. Whether nagging or slapping. We all think men have super powers to bottle this but it takes only the grace of God to contain it. We shouldn't be testing your man's emotional strength and the same thing for men. Don't push your wives or lovers to the limit. Where such grace doesn't exist, anything is bound to happen. And everyone, whether male or female, all have our limits.

As a woman, Nagging is not good. If you feel offended or cheated, just find a calm time to communicate your feelings with the right choice of words and if that's tough for the egocentric type, just walk away. A broken marriage is better than being dead or spending your life in prison. I don't support broken marriage too sha.

And men, pls it is never honourable to raise up your hands against your wives, because at the end of the day, you only beating up yourself and you will begin to reason like our president. When you wife is doing something wrong or tested you, just ask yourself, what will Jesus do and if you don't believe in Jesus which I strongly suggest you do, you can just take a timeout till everything falls into line back again but never raise your hand against a woman. It's never worth it

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 24, 2017
The OP watched the video with an intention to review it that was why he was ranting unnecessarily and coming up with irrelevant points.

The guy clearly wrote against domestic violence at the end of the clip, what else do you want? warning against smokers was even written in small fonts after video showing how you can enjoy puffing it.

OP is just a jobless fellow..

2 Likes

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Mynd44: 8:26am On Sep 24, 2017
hush15:

@myndd44,

You wrong my dear. Nagging often produce slaps because it's a resultant effect not because you want to but it's slapping encoding is in the nagging because nagging is very provocative, fustrating and can lead to sucidal tendencies and the only relief is to vent out that frustration. Bottling it all in in very dangerous!!!!

You never know when that hands went up for the slapping. I refute and strongly in emphatic terms do not support domestic violence and both parties should not be encouraged. Whether nagging or slapping. We all think men have super powers to bottle this but it takes only the grace of God to contain it. We shouldn't be testing your man's emotional strength and the same thing for men. Don't push your wives or lovers to the limit. Where such grace doesn't exist, anything is bound to happen. And everyone, whether male or female, all have our limits.

As a woman, Nagging is not good. If you feel offended or cheated, just find a calm time to communicate your feelings with the right choice of words and if that's tough for the egocentric type, just walk away. A broken marriage is better than being dead or spending your life in prison. I don't support broken marriage too sha.

And men, pls it is never honourable to raise up your hands against your wives, because at the end of the day, you only beating up yourself and you will begin to reason like our president. When you wife is doing something wrong or tested you, just ask yourself, what will Jesus do and if you don't believe in Jesus which I strongly suggest you do, you can just take a timeout till everything falls into line back again but never raise your hand against a woman. It's never worth it
I totally get your point. What I was saying is that, although nagging is bad and some words hurt more than violence, the man shouldn't have responded with violence. Handle it better, it is time we men told fellow men to rise about this. Let the women talk to their own people.

I saw the video too and at a lot of points, the man could have choses not to listen to his wife and walked awaY, left the house, get head sets and listen to "kako bi chicken". The fact that he responded with violence is not good.

Now as for the nagging woman, this just kills.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 24, 2017
That Is the main reason I don't listen Olamide I mean I bought his first album but I can't say I support the degrading of women in any language
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 24, 2017
solasoulmusic:
That Is the main reason I don't listen Olamide I mean I bought his first album but I can't say I support the degrading of women in any language

Lol. But Olamide has tight lyrics nau
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by shilexholly(m): 8:44am On Sep 24, 2017
OEPHIUS:
Just when I thought my song of this month is Cardi B's Bodak Yellow, I stumbled on one that blew me out of the water.

"Ponmile" by Reminisce is great. The audio, cool and then I saw the video. I was enjoying it until it got to a point and I hated the song. I hated the song not because the song was not good and all but the video passes a subtle message that made my entire body revolt.

It featured Adekola Odunlade and Lota Chukwu, great acting by the two of them except for some. ..... Oga the video simply explains both sides.... Probably if we can tell each other I don't love

1. When he slapped her in 2:58, I am pretty sure he slapped her left cheek so why was she holding her right cheek? Oh well……maybe reverbration happened but the second issue is my main issue.

2. The song goes
Malo je kin ka e mo corner pele brother Samu (dont let it be that I find you cheating with some guy)

For a song that carried such words, I didnt expect it to have a domestic violence scene. Yeah yeah, he had a disclaimer in the end about how he doesnt believe in DV but isnt it weird that all through the song, the man was keeping in the madness his wife was throwing at him. He was keeping his demons chained until it got to the part where Reminisce said cheating for her will be dangerous.

You are in a country where domestic violence (especially against women) is high and you come out to do a video that subtly promotes it (the disclaimer doesnt do it please).

I told a friend that I will prefer if the video showed that the man imagined the entire domestic violence part and he just snapped out of it and decided to look at her and say "I need a divorce" not end where the man raise a machete, and changed his mind about killing her.

We know the man never actually proved that she was cheating just suspicions and he started acting weird which was what made the woman go psycho.

Before you go "but it is just a song; an artistic impression", please I have heard where peoole use songs to relate to their personal lives and musicians should try harder to make things better not make it look okay and then do a disclaimer.

Olamide's "Story for the gods" and the date rape all over the song is another source of concern but issue for another day.

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
...... Oga he simply explaining both sides.. .. If u don't love again let me know instead cheating on me.. . We can just move on.. .. Olewu it's very dangerous... .. Ibile
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Alvin007: 8:47am On Sep 24, 2017
Op...God bless you for this review...this was what I pondered on, after seeing the video..the disclaimer, and the acts(video)..had nothing to do with the lyrics of the song...
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by boottaesama: 8:53am On Sep 24, 2017
This is just your own interpretation and severely weak one, song gives different meaning to things not just DV, cheating...listen properly.
you only extracted the part you want to hear and come up with this bullshit, then include DV to give your post some bite.

your 2nd extract can be seen as a thought process for people, and it's very easy for stereotyped people to assume the man's always going to be violent, when in reality it can be the woman, haven't you heard of scorned woman.

nobody is for DV but listen carefully to the song and you can break it into bits.

OEPHIUS:

It featured Adekola Odunlade and Lota Chukwu, great acting by the two of them except for some flaws.

2. The song goes

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:56am On Sep 24, 2017
solasoulmusic:

Your fellow women seem to enjoy the degrading. I mean look at all the half naked girls in music videos.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by boottaesama: 8:56am On Sep 24, 2017
go download this song and listen Olamide - Toriomo.

Not all the time they degrade women.

solasoulmusic:

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 9:00am On Sep 24, 2017
Agbere in yorubaland lewu......is very danger-ous!
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 24, 2017
boottaesama:
go download this song and listen Olamide - Toriomo.

Not all the time they degrade women.

I heard it bro even saw like a video but the energy he used wasn't the same in the other tracks

Like his music but not the message
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by DavidEsq(m): 9:07am On Sep 24, 2017
My brother. In saner climes, dat song wld be so vilified, criticised, maligned and the artiste, crucified by the press and social media. The artiste wld lose several endorsements, never get invited to shows and his concerts wld be boycotted. How in God's name is murder, attempted murder or causing grievous bodily harm or threatening to same (all of which is displayed by the act of brandishing a matchet) be advocated in a 2017 music video. This tells us dat a large number of us young men in this time and age, still feel they are living in medieval times. I just feel Sori for women who think it's all about the mny and place less emphasis on the social or personal orientation of a man.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by boottaesama: 9:11am On Sep 24, 2017
was ok with this post till i saw the weed and Alcohol part, must violence be tagged to weed and Alcohol, jeez if that's what you have seen first hand then i can't fault you for that. But if you are just writing it, then you are so wrong, i have seen first hand battery of a women whose hubby doesn't drink or smoke weed. i have literally seen a woman beat the shit out of her husband in Lere and she wasn't high either.

larion:
Cool....

You raised valid point but each individual to his own expression. That was how he and the director decided to express themselves.

However, for me I would have loved it for the whole drama to continue and they show the wife's friends urging her to carry on.

Then towards the end when he was like....ha ha ha ha....hay hay hay hay, they should show the husband dangling on a rope from his neck after committing suicide from the trouble his wife gave him.

Then briefly after this, they show show d wife going to meet her friends who previously encouraged her, and now the friends turn her down.

My reason, domestic violence is never one way , men of recent have been painted as violent, but women has not stopped been the devil since the days of Adam.

Respect to all women, my wife and mother inclusive, but then MOST women are the fuel of domestic violence..... If you wanna cut down domestic violence, start from the angle of the woman.

I don't expect any woman to be a dummy to her husband, but then women need more wisdom in handling issues, for the men, a little cut in alcohol and probably weed smoking for those that do it will help.

Only few men in their right senses will hit his wife, most men that beat (not one touch hit) their wives are either drunk, high, or have had it up to here or two or even the three.

All in all, ponmile is a fantastic song, respect to ibile, alaga reminisce ....only issue I have with d song is I can't sing it out before my wife thinks I'm referring to her....lol, and I also cannot post some lyrics on social media as the spirits leads before people think I have issues with my marriage which is less than one year....greater lol

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by DavidEsq(m): 9:12am On Sep 24, 2017
Gentle2015:
The OP watched the video with an intention to review it that was why he was ranting unnecessarily and coming up with irrelevant points.

The guy clearly wrote against domestic violence at the end of the clip, what else do you want? warning against smokers was even written in small fonts after video showing how you can enjoy puffing it.

OP is just a jobless fellow..
That makes the artiste all the more guilty cos cos knew DV to be the purport or central message of the video. Does a man say because he placed a warning sign "beware of dogs" on his gate, he is therefore justified to keep the gate wide open?
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by DripDrop: 9:54am On Sep 24, 2017
You made absolutely no sense in this ur commentary.
Please explain how the video 'promotes' domestic violence.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Origin(f): 10:14am On Sep 24, 2017
@ OP

Nice points raised really on point. Though it seems to buttress the song, without respect for each other, you end up pushing yourselves to nagging, shouting matches qnd then violence.

The video, lyrics and tone is quite good though. Reminisce well done.

I really like artists that can flow in native language, with strong messages. Not some rappers that want to be audio p.orn artists.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by 4dor: 10:16am On Sep 24, 2017
You won't see a weaker article this year. Man didn't get the main point of the DV scene.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by larion: 10:18am On Sep 24, 2017
boottaesama:
was ok with this post till i saw the weed and Alcohol part, must violence be tagged to weed and Alcohol, jeez if that's what you have seen first hand then i can't fault you for that. But if you are just writing it, then you are so wrong, i have seen first hand battery of a women whose hubby doesn't drink or smoke weed. i have literally seen a woman beat the shit out of her husband in Lere and she wasn't high either.

You got me wrong, it was 1 or 2 or 3 or all.

Now you have spoken and replied based on 1 or 2, what about 3? Check the post again...

wink
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by sameni123(m): 10:29am On Sep 24, 2017
stephen109:

na you sabi.

Infact over sabi deh worry am
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by johnkey: 11:56am On Sep 24, 2017
dude shut the Bleep up and shove your dumb review in your a.s.s . great song amazing video nice one alaga

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pitbull And Protege Sensato Remix Dbanj's Oliver Twist / Davido & Wande Coal Link Up For A New Classic Song / (DOWNLOAD MP3) Hushpappiee Ft. Cblvck & Mohbad – Osekose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.