Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,852 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

How To Correct Stubborn Kids - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How To Correct Stubborn Kids (1434 Views)

Help Me, My Younger Brother Is Becoming Extremely Stubborn, & Steals / How Do I Handle A Stubborn Brother / Life With Two Stubborn Teenage Boys : My Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 9:36am On Sep 24, 2017
Parenting isn't a joke because it's one thing to know what you want and another thing to know how to make your kids obey you. The key to getting your child to obey you is positive communication.

AVOID THE USE OF "DON'T"
e.g. Don't go out, don't on that TV, don't sleep there? Focus on what they should do and not what they should not do.

AVOID THE WORD "NOT"...
In a bid to correct a child don't say I told you not to do this but say " I told you to...
Instead of saying "you know you should not" say you know you should.

Anger comes with the use of negative words of "nots" don't fall for it.

What you say is what they do and not what you mean. Your communication must be 2in1 package, say what you mean, focusing only on what you mean.

No treats and no pre-rewards
The use of treats on a child is never a corrective measure and the reward system is the best just don't let the kids know you will reward them ahead. Keep it to yourself and surprise them.

A child what knows every thing he does rightly can attract a positive reward will be inwardly motivated all the time and will not have an entitlement mentality which is what we call corruption in Nigeria.

Oya add your one piece advice to parents with stubborn kids.

cc: lalasticlaala, mynd44
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by MhizzAJ(f): 9:46am On Sep 24, 2017
Do not use the 'F' word
No negative comments

1 Like

Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by ikbnice(m): 9:47am On Sep 24, 2017
Oyinbo style for oyinbo pikin

2 Likes

Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 24, 2017
Try to be good models too. Don't go about cursing and expect ur kids to not do same

2 Likes

Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 9:53am On Sep 24, 2017
Ahhhh "F" word ke? Never thought a parent will ever use that.
MhizzAJ:
Do not use the 'F' word
No negative comments
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 9:54am On Sep 24, 2017
Boss easy o. Which one be oyinbo style
ikbnice:
Oyinbo style for oyinbo pikin
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 9:56am On Sep 24, 2017
Correct. I heard that Emmanuella saying she knows more that half of what adults are hiding from them. Have you tried to get kids mimick their parents? You go run.
mhizesther:
Try to be good models too. Don't go about cursing and expect ur kids to not do same
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 9:57am On Sep 24, 2017
Correct. I heard that Emmanuella saying she knows more that half of what adults are hiding from them. Have you tried to get kids mimick their parents? You go run.
mhizesther:
Try to be good models too. Don't go about cursing and expect your kids to not do same
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by MhizzAJ(f): 9:59am On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:
Ahhhh "F" work ke? Never thought a parent will ever use that.

That's y there's a lot to parenting than just being the mother or father of a child .

Some parents use words like that on their children and ve heard that word from a father to his son before
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Lalas247(f): 9:59am On Sep 24, 2017
Cain worked just fine
Don't think This will work in Nigeria
But in the UK treats work .."I'll put you on the next flight to Nigerian " lol say that to an American naija kid or Uk watch transformation
Works all the time grin
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 24, 2017

don't ever hit a child no matter what

No matter how you sugar coat it hitting a child is abuse and it might have psychological effects on a child's mind.
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 10:04am On Sep 24, 2017
I don't think Cain works on the long term o. If that works then prisoners will not come out hardened but reformed. Kids will not leave the home to trouble the streets.
Lalas247:
Cain worked just fine
Don't think This will work in Nigeria
But in the UK treats work .."I'll put you on the next flight to Nigerian " lol say that to an American naija kid or Uk watch transformation
Works all the time grin
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Lalas247(f): 10:07am On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:
I don't think Cain works on the long term o. If that works then prisoners will not come out hardened but reformed. Kids will not leave the home to trouble the streets.
Lol it worked on me o
Me don't like scars grin hated it
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by thesicilian: 10:10am On Sep 24, 2017
Flog the hell out of the child. All this talk about hitting being child abuse, has that worked in the first world countries?
Even the Bible says whoever spares the rod hates his son. (Proverbs 13:24)
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 10:10am On Sep 24, 2017
Hmmm if I ask you some questions you will know it didn't really work o. But lemme be going to church first. Lol
Lalas247:

Lol it worked on me o
Me don't like scars grin hated it
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Lalas247(f): 10:13am On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:
Hmmm if I ask you some questions you will know it didn't really work o. But lemme be going to church first. Lol
Kikiki

I stubborn sha cheesy they tried I no kuku dey hear word
The reward tech works very well but don't think Nigerian parent have time to be rewarding

1 Like

Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by livingseed: 10:29am On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:

Let me ask you some questions too. wink

At 5, Your child that is too old to spank always...

1. Running around a restaurant and throwing food.

2. Refusing to have medical/dental check up.

3. Throwing a temper tantrum for not getting something they want in a store.

4. Refusing to go to school.

5. Being rude to teachers.

There are 5 examples right there....what would a parent do in these situations...reason with them? yeah....right.
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 10:35am On Sep 24, 2017
I'm walking away, trouble is not mine I'm walking away...lol. Let me come back from church so I can give intelligent answer.
livingseed:

Let me ask you some questions too wink

At 5, Your child that is too old to spank always...

1. Running around a restaurant and throwing food.

2. Refusing to have medical/dental check up.

3. Throwing a temper tantrum for not getting something they want in a store.

4. Refusing to go to school.

5. Being rude to teachers.

There are 5 examples right there....what would a parent do in these situations...reason with them? yeah....right
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by ImaIma1(f): 2:17pm On Sep 24, 2017
This is for oyibo kids not for ours.
And cane is important. Even the bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child"...
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 2:37pm On Sep 24, 2017
Rod an not cain you said. Use rod lets see na. lol
ImaIma1:
This is for oyibo kids not for ours.
And cane is important. Even the bible says "spare the rod and spoil the child"...
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by ImaIma1(f): 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:
Rod an not cain you said. Use rod lets see na. lol

the use of a stick as punishment.
noun: the rod
synonyms: corporal punishment, the cane, the lash, the birch, the belt, the strap
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ashibelieve: 8:37pm On Sep 24, 2017
English language is very weak when used to explain the bible. You will have to use direct translation from Hebrew to english to know why rod means something tougher. Cain works you are right but it wont work because it has no form of intelligently engaging the kids.

It affects confidence in kids and goes even to their adulthood.
ImaIma1:

the use of a stick as punishment.
noun: the rod
synonyms: corporal punishment, the cane, the lash, the birch, the belt, the strap
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ishilove: 9:31pm On Sep 24, 2017
Cane will work wonders.
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by gidjah(m): 9:51pm On Sep 24, 2017
Wao!!@op,I have learnt a lot out of this great lessons .
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by ImaIma1(f): 10:20pm On Sep 24, 2017
Ashibelieve:
English language is very weak when used to explain the bible. You will have to use direct translation from Hebrew to english to know why rod means something tougher. Cain works you are right but it wont work because it has no form of intelligently engaging the kids.

It affects confidence in kids and goes even to their adulthood.

The bible is in English. You need to be able to break it down to understand it...what rod means in the context for instance.
Cane never affected my confidence. My dad used koboko, my mum used taperule and i went to a military school that crowned it up with various types of caning instruments. Still my confidence is intact. wink
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Omoluabi16(m): 10:53pm On Sep 24, 2017
Ishilove:
Cane will work wonders.
Ishi mama shocked
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Ishilove: 11:34pm On Sep 24, 2017
Omoluabi16:
Ishi mama shocked
Yes dear?
Re: How To Correct Stubborn Kids by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 25, 2017
Cool...

(1) (Reply)

Rate My Pre-wedding Pictures / Deeply Depressed. Pls Help Save My Dad From 3 Years Old Venous Leg Ulcer (vid) / Woman: Called For A Sacred Mission-

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.