Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum (1121 Views)

Mass Shooting At Kurdish Center In Paris. 3 Dead, shooter Arrested / Kim Yo Jong Threatens Military Action Against South Korea / Iraqi Protesters Bring Out Lions To Counter Police Dogs (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2017
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan threatened a military intervention in Iraq in response to the Iraqi Kurdish region’s referendum on independence from Baghdad.

Erdogan, speaking at a conference in the Turkish capital of Ankara as Iraqi Kurds voted in their region on Monday, said that Kurdish independence was unacceptable to his country and that this was a “matter of survival.”

He pointed to Turkish military exercises currently taking place on Turkey’s border with the Iraqi Kurdish region.

Erdogan said: “Our military is not (at the border) for nothing.” He also added: “We could arrive suddenly one night.”

He also said Turkey would take political, economic as well as military measures against Iraqi Kurds’ steps toward independence and also suggested that Turkey could halt oil flows from a pipeline from northern Iraq.

Erdogan said: “Let’s see where — and through which channels — will they sell their oil. We have the valve. The moment we shut the valve, that’s the end of it.”

The Turkish leader said a border crossing with Iraq had been closed in one direction and that Turkey would shut it entirely.

Erdogan said: “Let’s see where — and through which channels — will they sell their oil. We have the valve. The moment we shut the valve, that’s the end of it.”

The Turkish leader said a border crossing with Iraq had been closed in one direction and that Turkey would shut it entirely.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/erdogan-threatens-military-action-over-iraqi-kurdish-referendum/
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2017
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim also commented on the Kurdish independence referendum, saying his country is considering closing down its airspace as well as a border gate to northern Iraq.

Yildirim said on Monday that officers and experts from Iraq’s army would join military exercises that Turkey launched along the border in an apparent warning to the Iraqi Kurds.

The Turkish premier said Ankara would from now on “enter a strong” dialogue with Baghdad, saying it regarded the central government in the Irai capital as the legitimate authority over border crossings, airports and oil trade in the Kurdish region.

He said Turkey had received a formal request from Baghdad requesting the closure of the airspace and border crossing. Yildirim also suggested that Turkey would take action if the Turkmen population came under attack or if Turks encountered “obstructions or problems” at the border crossing.

Despite the threats from Turkey, Iraqi Kurds went ahead with their independence referendum Monday, defying warnings from Baghdad and their neighbors in a historic step towards a national dream.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/erdogan-threatens-military-action-over-iraqi-kurdish-referendum/
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Mynd44: 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2017
Erdogan will always Erdogan
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:16pm On Sep 25, 2017
The nonbinding vote, initiated by veteran leader Massud Barzani, has angered not only Iraq’s federal government but also neighboring Turkey and Iran, who are concerned it could stoke separatist aspirations among their own sizable Kurdish minorities.

The United States and other Western nations have also raised concerns, saying the vote could hamper the fight against the Islamic State terror group in which cooperation between Baghdad and the Kurds has been key.

Left without a state of their own when the borders of the Middle East were redrawn after World War I, the Kurds see themselves as the world’s largest stateless people.

The non-Arab ethnic group number between 25 and 35 million people spread across Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Syria.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Sunday pledged to take all the “necessary measures” to protect the country’s unity as his government urged all countries to deal only with it on oil transactions.

Abadi said the Kurds’ unilateral decision to stage a referendum affected both Iraqi and regional security, and was “unconstitutional and against civil peace”.

Hours later, the Iraqi government called on all countries “to deal only with it on matters of oil and borders”.

The Iraqi Kurds export an average 600,000 barrels per day (bpd) through a pipeline running through Turkey to Ceyhan on the Mediterranean.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:17pm On Sep 25, 2017
Iranian news agency IRNA said Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani had called Abadi late Sunday to reiterate his support.

But Barzani said the Kurds’ “partnership with Baghdad” since the ouster of dictator Saddam Hussein in a 2003 US-led invasion had failed.

He however said the vote was “not for defining borders or imposing a fait accompli.”

“We want a dialogue with Baghdad to resolve the problems, and the dialogue can last one or two years,” Barzani said of zones such as Kirkuk.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 10:17pm On Sep 25, 2017
Those illiterates called IPOB have no clue that illegal referendum isn't easy anywhere in the world.
Thank God for Buhari and Python dance that tamed those fucktards.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:23pm On Sep 25, 2017
Mynd44:
Not really Erdogan alone. Every country in the world treat secessionists as rebels and wouldn't mind suppressing them using brute force.

I saw the referendum take place on Aljazeera few minutes ago and despite the fact that the Kurds are excited, claiming the moment is historic, Turkey has made it known that the result of the referendum (most likely to support the secession of Iraqi Kurds) is not binding and does not hold water.

Iraq is hyper already and the U.S. is scared because this would divert attention from the dreaded ISIL.

Sadly, Erdogan's moves are greatly similar to Buhari's and it is no surprising because every world leader out there would protect his or her interest.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:25pm On Sep 25, 2017
jpphilips:
Those illiterates called IPOB have no clue that illegal referendum isn't easy anywhere in the world.
Thank God for Buhari and Python dance that tamed those fucktards.
Don't be too sure. I would have problems expected that you point out the clownish behaviour of Kanu's strange love with a Turk who promised him that Turkey would stand with Biafra when they are trying to beat down a secessionist group just like Buhari did.

The IPOB has the tendency to become violent and might take up arms which would further broaden the unrest at hand. However, brute force would still be adopted. No country greet secession with open arms.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2017
Mynd44:

Kurdish YPG and PKK has been blowing things up in Turkey, what is a responsible government supposed to do? Recall the kurds are puffing because they are assisted by the US in the fight against ISIL. Yet the US isn't supporting the so called referendum.
By the time the GCC coalition boycotts kirkuk oil, they will regret.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
Sanchez01:

Not really Erdogan alone. Every country in the world treat secessionists as rebels and wouldn't mind suppressing them using brute force.

I saw the referendum take place on Aljazeera few minutes ago and despite the fact that the Kurds are excited, claiming the moment is historic, Turkey has made it known that the result of the referendum (most likely to support the secession of Iraqi Kurds) is not binding and does not hold water.

Iraq is hyper already and the U.S. is scared because this would divert attention from the dreaded ISIS.

Sadly, Erdogan's moves are greatly similar to Buhari's and it is no surprising because every world leader out there would protect his or her interest.

I think this Kurdish stuff won't work, Iraq already threatened to strike , where is UN when you need them most?.

come to think of it , Iraq operate a good system of true federalism, what's your view on Catalonia referendum?

1 Like

Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 10:30pm On Sep 25, 2017
Sanchez01:

Don't be too sure. I would have problems expected that you point out the clownish behaviour of Kanu's strange love with a Turk who promised him that Turkey would stand with Biafra when they are trying to beat down a secessionist group just like Buhari did.

The IPOB has the tendency to become violent and might take up arms which would further broaden the unrest at hand. However, brute force would still be adopted. No country greet secession with open arms.

Anybody who can afford a cable subscription knows that IPOB is a sect of people whose IQ best represents Autistic behavior, they have learnt their lessons, most of them are currently enrolled in adult education institutions.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by jpphilips(m): 10:35pm On Sep 25, 2017
Efewestern:

I think this Kurdish stuff won't work, Iraq already threatened to strike , where is UN when you need them most?.

come to think of it , Iraq operate a good system of true federalism, what's your view on Catalonia referendum?

True federalism is a dumb concoction of Nigerian politicians, it doesn't exist in any dictionary or encyclopedia. The Kurds are not equally represented in Parliament unlike other Iraqi regions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:37pm On Sep 25, 2017
Efewestern:

The Kurds are in trouble and might implicate others in their quest out, particularly Iraq.

I was watching Aljazeera over the weekend and I could remember the news concerning Catalonia and another referendum coming up. The people are riled up but the Spanish government arrested a whole lot of their regional government officials and released them temporarily after slapping them with 'financial misappropriation'.

The Catalan referendum would hold but it would not mean a thing like the first. Worst still, Catalonia would experience another form of maltreatment which would transcend onto the football pitch as always.

Sadly, the UN backs out of secession calls and tend to play dumb because she does not want to annoy anyone. While the UN claim right to self determination and association, she would readily pretend to calls of war and violence over secession until genocide plays out.

South Sudan comes to mind.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 10:43pm On Sep 25, 2017
jpphilips:

Anybody who can afford a cable subscription knows that IPOB is a sect of people whose IQ best represents Autistic behavior, they have learnt their lessons, most of them are currently enrolled in adult education institutions.
I totally align with you on this. Catalonia operates a regional government and their leaders are fully representing the people by fighting to want out of Spain. Britain pulled out from the subtle confederation of the EU because she aligned with her people. Iraqi Kurds have powerful people who want out just as their people and while it would take a lot of time to see this happen, it would eventually.

The IPOB thought it could insult its way into freedom but met with a light force which has rendered them useless. Until their politicians represent their interest at the very top, they would only scream and shout till thy kingdom come.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2017
Sanchez01:

The Kurds are in trouble and might implicate others in their quest out, particularly Iraq.

I was watching Aljazeera over the weekend and I could remember the news concerning Catalonia and another referendum coming up. The people are riled up but the Spanish government arrested a whole lot of their regional government officials and released them temporarily after slapping them with 'financial misappropriation'.

The Catalan referendum would hold but it would not mean a thing like the first. Worst still, Catalonia would experience another form of maltreatment which would transcend onto the football pitch as always.

Sadly, the UN backs out of secession calls and tend to play dumb because she does not want to annoy anyone. While the UN claim right to self determination and association, she would readily pretend to calls of war and violence over secession until genocide plays out.

South Sudan comes to mind.

it's almost impossible to disintegrate a country peacefully, just watched ajazeera this evening when a Kurdish girl of 18 was saying she was happy she voted. Turkish government are fully in support of Iraq, so Kurdish can't go far if they plan going to war with the central government.

UN only flex muscles on weak countries/state , as for the Catalonia referendum I don't think the Spanish government is ready to let go.

Too many issues, from Myanmar to North Korea to Kurdish to Catalonia.. lol
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 10:51pm On Sep 25, 2017
Sanchez01:

I totally align with you on this. Catalonia operates a regional government and their leaders are fully representing the people by fighting to want out of Spain. Britain pulled out from the subtle confederation of the EU because she aligned with her people. Iraqi Kurds have powerful people who want out just as their people and while it would take a lot of time to see this happen, it would eventually.

The IPOB thought it could insult its way into freedom but met with a light force which has rendered them useless. Until their politicians represent their interest at the very top, they would only scream and shout till thy kingdom come.

iPod got a valid claim thou.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Homeboiy: 10:55pm On Sep 25, 2017
The illiterate we have here don't even threaten before unleashing his madness on people
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 7:47am On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

it's almost impossible to disintegrate a country peacefully, just watched ajazeera this evening when a Kurdish girl of 18 was saying she was happy she voted. Turkish government are fully in support of Iraq, so Kurdish can't go far if they plan going to war with the central government.

UN only flex muscles on weak countries/state , as for the Catalonia referendum I don't think the Spanish government is ready to let go.

Too many issues, from Myanmar to North Korea to Kurdish to Catalonia.. lol
Peaceful disintegration exists but one in a hundred situation. I couldn't help but shake my head when the 18-year old claimed she had been there very early just so she could vote.

The UN... I guess that is one discussion for another day. Spain won't let Catalonia secede. The coming referendum is the second in less than five years and I hear there would be a third one already.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 7:50am On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

iPod got a valid claim thou.
Without mincing words, what are they fighting for? Controlling 'their destiny', fighting for oil in the core South or wanting to secede while scattered across the Zoo they claim to hate with passion?

Let them learn from Catalonia if they mean business. As it stands, they remain bunch of nonentities until they learn to channel their rage towards their government.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 7:53am On Sep 26, 2017
Homeboiy:
The illiterate we have here don't even threaten before unleashing his madness on people
So you think it is right for a president to threaten with military action??

Kanu and the IPOB threatened Nigeria and Nigerians. The President returned the favour. The same Erdogan you praise now would have done much worse the moment Kanu started asking his black faced followers to kill pastors from other divide who come to preach in the East. Nothing transcend beyond hate than that.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Homeboiy: 7:54am On Sep 26, 2017
Sanchez01:

So you think it is right for a president to threaten with military action??

Kanu and the IPOB threatened Nigeria and Nigerians. The President returned the favour. The same Erdogan you praise now would have done much worse the moment Kanu started asking his black faced followers to kill pastors from other divide who come to preach in the East. Nothing transcend beyond hate than that.

Do u think its good for a president to use military on civilians without warning
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 8:02am On Sep 26, 2017
Homeboiy:

Do u think its good for a president to use military on civilians without warning
They were the Secret Service arm, I believe. At least they carried stones and sticks. How then are they civilians?

My turn: do you think it is good for citizens to threaten a sitting president by saying they would go to Abuja and behead him?
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by JaffyJoe(m): 8:27am On Sep 26, 2017
The Kurds are resilient fighters, they resisted ISIS ragheads while Iraqi soldiers had their tails between their legs, they just want to be left alone but Sultan Erdogan must think we are in the Ottoman age all over. Subjugating neighbors is a Turkish thing, Armenians, Hungarians won't forget so soon.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 7:35pm On Sep 26, 2017
Sanchez01:

Peaceful disintegration exists but one in a hundred situation. I couldn't help but shake my head when the 18-year old claimed she had been there very early just so she could vote.

The UN... I guess that is one discussion for another day. Spain won't let Catalonia secede. The coming referendum is the second in less than five years and I hear there would be a third one already.

oniovo did you watch trump speech regarding Catalonia referendum on Ajazeera?

believe me it won't be easy for them..
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 7:40pm On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

No, I didn't. I just got it few minutes and yet to settle down. When did he speak on this, please?
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Nobody: 7:44pm On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

Damn, has Catalan also reached thus far again? Please could you briefly declare Trump's stance?
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 7:52pm On Sep 26, 2017
Sanchez01:

No, I didn't. I just got it few minutes and yet to settle down. When did he speak on this, please?

Spain prime minister was interviewed along President trump, trump insist they support the unity of Spain and that Catalonia still love spain.

the prime minister on the other hand said the referendum is illegal and would not hold.

they just finished the interview on white house.

trump spoke on north Korea issue and insisted he will use millitary power
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 7:55pm On Sep 26, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Damn, has Catalan also reached thus far again? Please could you briefly declare Trump's stance?

Trump is in support Spain, Catalonia referendum might not be implemented, that's what I could summarize.. you can watch the interview on ajazeera website..
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 7:57pm On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

Spain prime minister was interviewed along President trump, trump insist they support the unity of Spain and that Catalonia still love spain.

the prime minister on the other hand said the referendum is illegal and would hold.

they just finished the interview on white house.

trump spoke on north Korea issue and insisted he will use millitary power

This is a huge blow to Catalonia. The Prime minister and Trump had already rubbished the second referendum before it is taken.

And to think we have people banking in Trump and the UN to rescue them is laughable. Catalonia should rest for now before it gets out of hand.

I wish I met the speech in time.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Efewestern: 8:21pm On Sep 26, 2017
Sanchez01:

This is a huge blow to Catalonia. The Prime minister and Trump had already rubbished the second referendum before it is taken.

And to think we have people banking in Trump and the UN to rescue them is laughable. Catalonia should rest for now before it gets out of hand.

I wish I met the speech in time.

@ bolded what do you expect from brainwashed people who believes In lies instead of reality.

can you give me two reason why Catalonia want a separate state, they control their resources, they have regional government.
Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Sanchez01: 9:03pm On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

@ bolded what do you expect from brainwashed people who believes In lies instead of reality.

can you give me two reason why Catalonia want a separate state, they control their resources, they have regional government.

Supposed Uniqueness

Catalans feel they are very different from the rest of Spain, most importantly Madrid which happens to be the capital of Spain. Their food, culture, language, among a host of others are thought to be different. For no just cause, they feel they must have their own indigenous country, strictly for Catalans.

Economy

Catalonia is one of Spain’s richest and most industrialised regions.

The region is home to Barcelona, a vibrant economic and cultural hub as well as a popular tourist destination.

Its thriving manufacturing, food-processing, metalworking and chemical industries, along with a growing service sector, make it Spain’s economic powerhouse.

In fact, secession would cost Spain nearly 20 percent of its economic output.

Spain’s economic crisis has fueled calls for independence, with many Catalans believing the affluent region props up poorer areas.

Catalonian independence would also trigger a row over how to split Spain’s deficit.

Most importantly, Pro-Catalans feel their rich region of 7.5 million people has long put more into Spain than it has received in return. They are not marginalised, interestingly, they just feel they are no longer comfortable being a part of Spain.

I must also add that the lumping of Catalonia with Spain was a grave mistake from the outset. Catalonia was a blend of Christian and Muslim communities before the Spanish Christian invasion around 800BC.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Erdogan Threatens Military Action Over Iraqi Kurdish Referendum by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 26, 2017
Efewestern:

Trump is in support Spain, Catalonia referendum might not be implemented, that's what I could summarize.. you can watch the interview on ajazeera website..

Damn, i'm reconnecting my subscription. Thanks...

(1) (Reply)

Man Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby / We Are Determined To Destroy All Churches In Israel, That Is Will Of God -rabbi / Nigerian Dude Kills His Hot Girlfriend For Going To The Pool Without Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.