Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website (9369 Views)

New Glo 0.0k Free Browsing Config File For Http Injector Vpn / Share Your Experience Switching From HTTP To HTTPS / Migrate From HTTP To HTTPS On Blogger Blog With Custom Domains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by PRINCEHPXP(m): 3:34pm On Sep 26, 2017
As you may have noticed, some sites show “http://” in front of an internet address and others show “https://”. The extra “s” stands for “secure” and indicates a protected site. The most important way to protect data exchange on a website is an SSL certificate, or “Secure Socket Layer.”

This type of network protocol allows for the secure transmission of data and encrypts data that is exchanged between a website and its visitors. Unauthorized users are unable to access this data which is especially important when querying sensitive user data such as passwords, email addresses or bank account information.

Sites that don’t use HTTPS instead of HTTP judiciously are crippling the privacy controls you thought were protecting your data. Websites’ adoption of opt-in sharing and straightforward privacy settings are laudable. Those measures restrict the amount of information about you that leaks from websites (at least they’re supposed to). Yet they have no bearing on sniffing attacks if the site doesn’t encrypt traffic. This is why sites like Facebook and Twitter recently made HTTPS always available to users who care to turn it on — it’s off by default.

What is HTTPS?
Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS) is the secure version of HTTP, the protocol over which data is sent between your browser and the website that you are connected to. The ‘S’ at the end of HTTPS stands for ‘Secure’. It means all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted. HTTPS is often used to protect highly confidential online transactions like online banking and online shopping order forms.

Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome also display a padlock icon in the address bar to visually indicate that a HTTPS connection is in effect.

Benefits of Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure

The major benefits of a HTTPS certificate are:

1.Customer information, like credit card numbers, is encrypted and cannot be intercepted
2.Visitors can verify you are a registered business and that you own the domain
3.Customers are more likely to trust and complete purchases from sites that use HTTPS
4.HTTPS Can Be Significantly Faster Than HTTP
5.HTTPS protects the integrity of your website
6.HTTPS can help with SEO
7.Necessary for Accepting Payments
8.Guards Against Phishing
9.Improves Customer Trust
https-browsers

How to get HTTPS
Setting up HTTPS on your website is very easy, just follow these 5 simple steps:

1.Host with a dedicated IP address
2.Buy a certificate
3.Activate the certificate
4.Install the certificate
5.Update your site to use HTTPS

Note: Your web host may also do all these steps for you too – check with them before proceeding. This can get complicated and if you can wait 1-2 days it may be best to let them do it. But Unless you’re installing up the certificate yourself, this is the easiest step you’ll ever do. All you have to do is sent a message to your host requesting that they change your website from HTTP to HTTPS.

Summary
What makes a website secure? A properly installed security certificate.

Congratulations! You’ve successfully protected your website by installing an SSL cert and made your visitors less prone to attacks. You can breathe easy knowing that any information they submit on your website will be encrypted and safer from packet sniffing hackers.

Are you convinced to add https to your small business website? Have you already made the switch? If so, what benefits have you experienced? We’d love to hear your comments so please do share your experiences with us.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by cr7rooney10(m): 6:47am On Sep 27, 2017
Anyway
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Claimsfit: 6:47am On Sep 27, 2017
Thanks op this is really helpful

Any ways this could be of help too--
Have you been dreaming and aspiring to work from home and earn online and make it big, you have found the right article.You can start earning big today just sitting at home and performing few task am going to give you.This list of online business you do contained in my ebook.Everything you need to get done as for you to be successful. What and how you should do it and what you should aviod.Also how you set up payoneer account and link it up to be a usa account as to be able to receive paymentMy ebook is very affordable. Invest and get paid big for what you invested for.Get it and start earning big today.  Hit me up on whatsapo on 08149645086
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by 175(m): 6:49am On Sep 27, 2017
What happened to comments above? It was not secured too? Continue!!

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by StreetSoldier(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2017
Good reading.
Though I wonder why computer terminologies have to be mouthful every time. smiley
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by HerXLNC(f): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2017
I know these
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by coolcharm(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2017
This na wetin dem dey telli person?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by IBpaul(m): 6:50am On Sep 27, 2017
Op tanks for d information

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by wildcatter23(m): 6:51am On Sep 27, 2017
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Zane2point4(m): 6:52am On Sep 27, 2017
Na the same thing, forget long talk, I don try the two, even http was faster, https was browsing with the speed of an injured snail.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Gmekx(m): 6:52am On Sep 27, 2017
How secure is secure?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Claimsfit: 7:01am On Sep 27, 2017
175:
What happened to comments above? It was not secured too? Continue!!
E dy pain u say u no make am for front page grin grin undecided
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by GoodMuyis(m): 7:05am On Sep 27, 2017
I have an affordable Https hosting for Nigerians. Contact me, its even free.

I have Solution Cheap Hosting, SSL Inclusive

hostdaddy.com.ng
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Finstar: 7:05am On Sep 27, 2017
Website security is one thing that must not be joked with.. If your dream has been to own a blog but unfortunately, doesn't know where or how to go about it. You don't have to worry. I'm recruiting students who I have sworn to guide selflessly in blogging. It's free please.. Not expecting a dime from you.. Just call me let's begin 08.1.6.7 9 7 0.9.6.9
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by networkG: 7:06am On Sep 27, 2017
can I also use my school certificate? so my https link will be like https://goodmorningall.unahear

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Sirambassador(m): 7:16am On Sep 27, 2017
Very ok
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Bari22: 7:23am On Sep 27, 2017
let me manage my http
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Revolva(m): 7:34am On Sep 27, 2017
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by persius555(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2017
SSL certificate can be stripped off under a Man-In-The-Middle attack.

Https is a security mechanism initiated by one end of the two parties involved in the web transactions.

Slip up on any of the two ends compromise the two.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by dreamworld: 7:44am On Sep 27, 2017
But I use ftp
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by HottestFire: 7:53am On Sep 27, 2017
GoodMuyis:
I have and affordable Https hosting for Nigerians. Contact me, its even free.

hostdaddy.com.ng

Stop this, hosting comes with a cost if 85% uptime is key. Don't start what you can not finish..

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by nairatony(m): 7:54am On Sep 27, 2017
HerXLNC:
I know these
This is only what you can say to this educative post, I am sorry at you, if you can appreciate the effort of others, you can make progress in life. Thanks
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by marsoden: 8:20am On Sep 27, 2017
HerXLNC:
I know these

Who asked you? Why haven't you educated us on it if you knew it?
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by pauljumbo: 8:20am On Sep 27, 2017
Nice post
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by registration(m): 8:22am On Sep 27, 2017
It is important
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by newslifeop: 8:25am On Sep 27, 2017
Google is selfish
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 8:48am On Sep 27, 2017
Good one bro....

On the other hand....I want to set up donation on an Church NGO Site am currently building, can anyone advise on what to use for that? tried using Simplepay but it haven't been straight forward, can anyone help with any simply straight forward payment option i can set up on the site without needing any form of tutorials to do so.

By the way it's a WordPress Website

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bloggers Converge For Gala And Awards Event In Abuja / We Recover your data from damaged, corrupted and formatted data storage devices / Wechat Account Registration | Account Sign Up | Free App Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.