Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,727 members, 7,831,310 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website (9383 Views)

Important Reasons Why You Should Use Wordpress For Your Website / New Glo 0.0k Free Browsing Config File For Http Injector Vpn / Share Your Experience Switching From HTTP To HTTPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by lexzealous(m): 8:49am On Sep 27, 2017
I think SSL certificate is important for your website when you store user's information, accept online payments or have sensitive information.
If it is for regular company awareness website it may not be needed.
However, having it ensures trust by website visitors. It also improves ranking of your website.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by lexzealous(m): 8:53am On Sep 27, 2017
RuddyFusion:
Good one bro....

On the other hand....I want to set up donation on an Church NGO Site am currently building, can anyone advise on what to use for that? tried using Simplepay but it haven't been straight forward, can anyone help with any simply straight forward payment option i can set up on the site without needing any form of tutorials to do so.

By the way it's a WordPress Website

Try paystack.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 27, 2017
You must not use a dedicated hosting or IP address, it can be done on shared hosting as well. Even though 1and1 hosting don't come has alot of disadvantages, i think 1 and 1 hosting offers free ssl certifcates to secure your website for any of the plans you buy. Even if you buy the cheapest plan for $11.88 that is 4562 NGN, they give your free domain and one ssl certificate for that domain. Even nairaland is not secured as it is, because website that is a membership site like it is and do not use ssl certificates are prone to attack, even though you might think there's nothing to secure here, attackers can bring down nairaland, Mr Seun sir. Please upgrade nairaland.com and get an ssl certificate, from 1 and 1 hosting or from hostigator.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 27, 2017
lexzealous:

Try paystack.

Voquepay would be really good. i am using Voquepay its the largest online processor in Africa. But for now International Payments are suspended due to fraud for NGOs and Instant sales business. However, local naira payments are allowed 100% if the donation is happening in Naira it is easy. Money gets paid into your wordpress site by registering and verify your voquepay account then, copy the html voquepay code and paste and use your html and javascript and css to beat it to your test on your wordpress site. and boom!!! donation happen straight to your Voquepay wallet and after 24 hours you transfer it to any bank account of your choice. However, you must have an ssl certificate on your site and donors must register to ensure security. You must not also store their credit cards details any how in your site. I just built one NGO site and integrated payments for them last week. PM me or call 09066926509 to be your developer in that part, or to find out more details.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 27, 2017
PRINCEHPXP:

How to get HTTPS
Setting up HTTPS on your website is very easy, just follow these 5 simple steps:

1.Host with a dedicated IP address
2.Buy a certificate
3.Activate the certificate
4.Install the certificate
5.Update your site to use HTTPS

Note: Your web host may also do all these steps for you too – check with them before proceeding. This can get complicated and if you can wait 1-2 days it may be best to let them do it. But Unless you’re installing up the certificate yourself, this is the easiest step you’ll ever do. All you have to do is sent a message to your host requesting that they change your website from HTTP to HTTPS.

Very good job sir. But sir, You must not use a dedicated hosting or IP address, it can be done on shared hosting as well. Even though 1and1 hosting don't come has alot of disadvantages, i think 1 and 1 hosting offers free ssl certifcates to secure your website for any of the plans you buy. Even if you buy the cheapest plan for $11.88 that is 4562 NGN, they give your free domain and one ssl certificate for that domain. Even nairaland is not secured as it is, because website that is a membership site like it is and do not use ssl certificates are prone to attack, even though you might think there's nothing to secure here, attackers can bring down nairaland, Mr Seun sir. Please upgrade nairaland.com and get an ssl certificate, from 1 and 1 hosting or from hostigator. Also you will need to do a 301 redirect to redirect all http request to www.https:// request on your webstite after getting the certificate. You have to modify your htacess file in your public directory.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 27, 2017
persius555:
SSL certificate can be stripped off under a Man-In-The-Middle attack.

Https is a security mechanism initiated by one end of the two parties involved in the web transactions.

Slip up on any of the two ends compromise the two.

Please can you throw more light, a 256 bit encryption is the most dependable encryption an ssl can offer, i know you might not get up to 256 bit, if its not end to end. But how do you mean if you slip up on any of the two ends how can you slip up when it is encrypted? Its very difficult encryption many professional websites uses ssl? So sir, how can you do that?
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 9:17am On Sep 27, 2017
lexzealous:

Try paystack.

The NGO haven't done any CAC stuffs as paystack will require
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by fadaflowz(m): 10:11am On Sep 27, 2017
RuddyFusion:
Good one bro....

On the other hand....I want to set up donation on an Church NGO Site am currently building, can anyone advise on what to use for that? tried using Simplepay but it haven't been straight forward, can anyone help with any simply straight forward payment option i can set up on the site without needing any form of tutorials to do so.

By the way it's a WordPress Website
google voguepay. I think they also have a wordpress plugin for site integration.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by GoodMuyis(m): 11:26am On Sep 27, 2017
HottestFire:

Stop this, hosting comes with a cost if 85% uptime is key. Don't start what you can not finish..

You mean I should stop what?
I have being doing my business successfully.

I have Solution Cheap Hosting, SSL Inclusive
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by SamjohnnyB(m): 12:54pm On Sep 27, 2017
Nice one op. Thanks
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by ib22003(m): 2:21pm On Sep 27, 2017
I use ribaphost.com and they incorporated a free ssl certificated on their platform.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

Voquepay would be really good. i am using Voquepay its the largest online processor in Africa. But for now International Payments are suspended due to fraud for NGOs and Instant sales business. However, local naira payments are allowed 100% if the donation is happening in Naira it is easy. Money gets paid into your wordpress site by registering and verify your voquepay account then, copy the html voquepay code and paste and use your html and javascript and css to beat it to your test on your wordpress site. and boom!!! donation happen straight to your Voquepay wallet and after 24 hours you transfer it to any bank account of your choice. However, you must have an ssl certificate on your site and donors must register to ensure security. You must not also store their credit cards details any how in your site. I just built one NGO site and integrated payments for them last week. PM me or call 09066926509 to be your developer in that part, or to find out more details.

Thanks bro

this is a WordPress site...and i just need help or direction from people like you on how to integrate Donation to the site.

I will appreciate if you list the steps here....as I intend trying that out later today.

Am not being paid for this.... its my church NGO Group.

thanks
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by jayinfo2(m): 2:28pm On Sep 27, 2017
If I have a website that is currently configured with HTTP and I wanna upgrade to HTTPS do I need to pay for it from my hosting company.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by persius555(m): 2:31pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

Please can you throw more light, a 256 bit encryption is the most dependable encryption an ssl can offer, i know you might not get up to 256 bit, if its not end to end. But how do you mean if you slip up on any of the two ends how can you slip up when it is encrypted? Its very difficult encryption many professional websites uses ssl? So sir, how can you do that?

Most users hardly type "https" nor "hhtp" in their url bar within the browser. And as a result, this request defaults to http. Most secure sites implement a corresponding https site redirect for convenience. This is where the MITM attacks comes into play. An attacker can hijack the http session, relay the DNS request between the server and the browser since the TCP/IP and port number parameters are not encrypted but in plain-text.

This is why the IETF standard introduced the HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to mitigate such attacks. The adoption of this technology is very, very low on the internet as a result of the overhead that comes with its implementation.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Akuneshiobike(m): 5:28pm On Sep 27, 2017
I know that prior to now
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 6:11pm On Sep 27, 2017
persius555:

Most users hardly type "https" nor "hhtp" in their url bar within the browser. And as a result, this request defaults to http. Most secure sites implement a corresponding https site redirect for convenience. This is where the MITM attacks comes into play. An attacker can hijack the http session, relay the DNS request between the server and the browser since the TCP/IP and port number parameters are not encrypted but in plain-text.

This is why the IETF standard introduced the HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) to mitigate such attacks. The adoption of this technology is very, very low on the internet as a result of the overhead that comes with its implementation.

So what if there's a 301 redirect of all http request to https in the htacess file. I doubt they'd be any relay to an hijack.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 27, 2017
jayinfo2:
If I have a website that is currently configured with HTTP and I wanna upgrade to HTTPS do I need to pay for it from my hosting company.

Yes/No. Yes if your hosting company did not include an ssl certificate for free in your plan. No if they did include it for free. What's your hosting company name? Sometimes you might need to upgrade to buying a dedicated server to use an SSL on some hosting platform?
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 6:26pm On Sep 27, 2017
RuddyFusion:

Thanks bro

this is a WordPress site...and i just need help or direction from people like you on how to integrate Donation to the site.

I will appreciate if you list the steps here....as I intend trying that out later today.

Am not being paid for this.... its my church NGO Group.

thanks

My explanation brother is really it. The nitty gritty can be done by Voquepay or any developer you employ. It could take about 2 weeks to setup once and for all.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 6:29pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

My explanation brother is really it. The nitty gritty can be done by Voquepay or any developer you employ. It could take about 2 weeks to setup once and for all.

OK I will keep you on the loop as am working on getting it fixed
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 27, 2017
RuddyFusion:

OK I will keep you on the loop as am working on getting it fixed

Alright. Make sure you build the website as a membership site, and have a kyc(know your customer) database. So that you all your donors relevant information would be saved during registration. in a database and can be retrieve at anytime Voquepay needs it.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 27, 2017
RuddyFusion:

The NGO haven't done any CAC stuffs as paystack will require

Without CAC you can use NEPA BILL and International passport of the business on Voquepay.
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by persius555(m): 8:03pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

So what if there's a 301 redirect of all http request to https in the htacess file. I doubt they'd be any relay to an hijack.

It is usually a proxy attack that generates a certificate on behalf of the client to be delivered to the web server. A lot of browsers like the google chrome embed extra layer TLS for encryption of data to tackle this. The slip up usually originates from the client end.
Increasingly, this is becoming harder to execute but definitely not impossible.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 9:15pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

Alright. Make sure you build the website as a membership site, and have a kyc(know your customer) database. So that you all your donors relevant information would be saved during registration. in a database and can be retrieve at anytime Voquepay needs it.

Really? the site is already built its just for me to integrate the donation thing...

Does it have to be a membership site or does users need to register before they can donate?

i thought there's a way of collecting users information from Voguepay end

Educate me please
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 9:20pm On Sep 27, 2017
EBLABOR:

Without CAC you can use NEPA BILL and International passport of the business on Voquepay.

OK thanks
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 28, 2017
RuddyFusion:

Really? the site is already built its just for me to integrate the donation thing...

Does it have to be a membership site or does users need to register before they can donate?

i thought there's a way of collecting users information from Voguepay end

Educate me please

Even if you've built it already we can add that functionality, its a WordPress site right? That's even easier. Have you hosted it?
That is why you need a developer. Voquepay processes the payment, you make sure only registered people who are known by their relevant details such as occupation, address,e.t.c use your site so that terrorist and online spammers cannot use your site. They should register use SQL injection security, email/phone verification to verify their authenticity, then they login and make donations. If you don't do this you cannot use Voquepay. Contact support for details but I have done it many times and that's the law and if you don't in the law court you gonna blame yourself, that is if you found away to elude Voquepay. They regularly ask for such information. Make sure the site is https that is you have an SSL certification to encrypt users sensitive data, it's a requirement.

If it's church brother, to make it standard you need a developer, I charge smaller tokens for churches, I can handle all of this.

To clear doubts contact:

support@voquepay.com
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by RuddyFusion(m): 8:36am On Sep 28, 2017
EBLABOR:

Even if you've built it already we can add that functionality, its a WordPress site right? That's even easier. Have you hosted it?
That is why you need a developer. Voquepay processes the payment, you make sure only registered people who are known by their relevant details such as occupation, address,e.t.c use your site so that terrorist and online spammers cannot use your site. They should register use SQL injection security, email/phone verification to verify their authenticity, then they login and make donations. If you don't do this you cannot use Voquepay. Contact support for details but I have done it many times and that's the law and if you don't in the law court you gonna blame yourself, that is if you found away to elude Voquepay. They regularly ask for such information. Make sure the site is https that is you have an SSL certification to encrypt users sensitive data, it's a requirement.

If it's church brother, to make it standard you need a developer, I charge smaller tokens for churches, I can handle all of this.

To clear doubts contact:

support@voquepay.com

Yes WP Site, built secured etc.

But all this process of people registering just to make donation is what i don't get....It's looking like a long thing to me and personally will look at how to go about it

Thanks
Re: Why You Should Use HTTPS Instead Of HTTP On Your Website by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 28, 2017
RuddyFusion:

Yes WP Site, built secured etc.

But all this process of people registering just to make donation is what i don't get....It's looking like a long thing to me and personally will look at how to go about it.

Thanks

it's a 20 minutes thing to do with WordPress. I'll tell you how. USE A WORDPRESS MEMBERSHIP PLUGIN, MODIFY IT AND JUST CREATE A DATABASE IN FEW HOURS IT'S DONE SIR. THAT'S THE ONLY WAY. Who did you host your website with? Sir, is it hostgator? Registration of your donors is jusr once for all time, once they have their password they can donate anytime, anyway. If you use a plugin it'll be very easy because all the work is already done for you just add it to your WordPress site and customize it to your test. Only ask relevant questions during registration so it takes like 5 minutes and you are done.

What's the website address, I might assist you more. If I see the structure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Website Is Showing "404 Error" / Bloggers Converge For Gala And Awards Event In Abuja / We Recover your data from damaged, corrupted and formatted data storage devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.