Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,228 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality (1862 Views)

My Most Recent Chats With TSTV On Sales Of Decoders And Other Issues / Startimes Compete With TSTV Africa With This / TSTV Launches In Nigeria: Channels, Packages, Subscription & Decoder Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 5:45pm On Sep 28, 2017
Yes. I drove into the TSTV corporate headquarters at Jahi, opposite Gilmor site - Abuja this afternoon. This move was precipitated by the media hype surrounding their entry into the pay-TV market in Nigeria. Mine was just a fact-finding visit to "meet, greet and feel" the buzz.

The first thing that struck was the makeshift security barrier leading to their sprawling compound. A police van was stationed beside the ring of wire, strewn across sand-filled drums on a dirt road. There was noticeable human and vehicular traffic in and out the property, located deep inside this forested up-coming upscale neighborhood. TSTV office is an isolated superstructure decked in their traditional green color. I asked to see the marketing people for inquiries and was directed to the basement. As I made my way down the flight of stairs, the sign "please don't touch the door" flashed on my face from the glass door. At first, I thought it was automatic and would slide open on its own. After some hesitation without any such sign, I gave it a push. It opened and I walked in.

Inside, I could not feel the ambiance of a tsunami-like organization, eager to take on the dstv behemoth. Rather, the setting was quite ordinary and bare-bone. The ceiling looks old and cheap. No whistles and The font-desk lady was pacing up and down, trying to fake some smiles. On the wall was a 40-something inch plasma TV tuned to CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. The pictures were grainy and quite pedestrian. The colours were anything but digital. Sound-quality was very poor. I peeped to see any signs of signal-logo on the screen to be sure it is a TSTV signal. There was none. I asked to see the offering and equipment. The lady told me to wait till Sunday. I asked for any other information that may assist me understand. She handed the attached 2-page piece of handwritten photocopied flyer to me. I was perplexed. Handwritten flyer?

As I turned to go, it struck me that TSTV may not exactly turn out as strong a competition to DSTV as we are made to believe; against all the hype and predictions. Stepping outside, I saw rows of dummy large-circumference satellite dishes littering the frontage, deliberately placed to hoodwink and deceive people. Outside the gate, I saw that the Development Control Unit of FCDA had marked and demolished the small hut, built to house TSTV's transformer because it was illegally located. The blocks and bricks still litter the environment.

I dashed into my car and drove away, with trepidation and prayer that my impressions may just turn out false, for I really wish for the day someone would give DSTV a bloody nose. I pray the day comes soon. I am afraid, TSTV may not be the one. After all. Yet again!

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 5:48pm On Sep 28, 2017
More pics

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 5:49pm On Sep 28, 2017
Front desk

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2017
isolated in Jahi

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by modextus(m): 6:01pm On Sep 28, 2017
How much were you paid for this? I'll sure give it a try. we wouldn't just seat back and watch Dstv milk us. I believe with customer coperation the brand would live up to the hype. this antiques wouldn't work!

9 Likes

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by Oluwasaeon(m): 6:02pm On Sep 28, 2017
Okay thank you
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by lomprico(m): 6:28pm On Sep 28, 2017
Op is a dstv stooge!

5 Likes

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by Trunaijian: 6:49pm On Sep 28, 2017
you may wish to note that, Dstv started in one rented apartment on wuse ii aminu kano crescent before they graduated thier beautiful edifice in.maitama/wuse ii beside transcop.

anyhow, am sure they would pick up and upgrade the aesthetics for customers like urself.

10 Likes

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by dustmalik: 7:40pm On Sep 28, 2017
OP, I was also there this afternoon. From what I was made to understand by one of its agents, no Super Dealer or sub Dealer has gotten the decoder till now, until after the launch. I even asked when the decoders would be available to the dealers after the launch, and I was told no specific date yet. To be honest, I was quite disappointed.
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by Lovetinz(m): 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2017
The mouse that roared!
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by kodded(m): 11:13pm On Sep 28, 2017
lol, I expect such response from dstv dogs

by 2nd of October I expect to hear how poor their services are and how bad is tstv
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by MabraO: 4:57am On Sep 29, 2017
sisimmi:
Yes. I drove into the TSTV corporate headquarters at Jahi, opposite Gilmor site - Abuja this afternoon. This move was precipitated by the media hype surrounding their entry into the pay-TV market in Nigeria. Mine was just a fact-finding visit to "meet, greet and feel" the buzz.

The first thing that struck was the makeshift security barrier leading to their sprawling compound. A police van was stationed beside the ring of wire, strewn across sand-filled drums on a dirt road. There was noticeable human and vehicular traffic in and out the property, located deep inside this forested up-coming upscale neighborhood. TSTV office is an isolated superstructure decked in their traditional green color. I asked to see the marketing people for inquiries and was directed to the basement. As I made my way down the flight of stairs, the sign "please don't touch the door" flashed on my face from the glass door. At first, I thought it was automatic and would slide open on its own. After some hesitation without any such sign, I gave it a push. It opened and I walked in.

Inside, I could not feel the ambiance of a tsunami-like organization, eager to take on the dstv behemoth. Rather, the setting was quite ordinary and bare-bone. The ceiling looks old and cheap. No whistles and The font-desk lady was pacing up and down, trying to fake some smiles. On the wall was a 40-something inch plasma TV tuned to CNN's Anderson Cooper 360. The pictures were grainy and quite pedestrian. The colours were anything but digital. Sound-quality was very poor. I peeped to see any signs of signal-logo on the screen to be sure it is a TSTV signal. There was none. I asked to see the offering and equipment. The lady told me to wait till Sunday. I asked for any other information that may assist me understand. She handed the attached 2-page piece of handwritten photocopied flyer to me. I was perplexed. Handwritten flyer?

As I turned to go, it struck me that TSTV may not exactly turn out as strong a competition to DSTV as we are made to believe; against all the hype and predictions. Stepping outside, I saw rows of dummy large-circumference satellite dishes littering the frontage, deliberately placed to hoodwink and deceive people. Outside the gate, I saw that the Development Control Unit of FCDA had marked and demolished the small hut, built to house TSTV's transformer because it was illegally located. The blocks and bricks still litter the environment.

I dashed into my car and drove away, with trepidation and prayer that my impressions may just turn out false, for I really wish for the day someone would give DSTV a bloody nose. I pray the day comes soon. I am afraid, TSTV may not be the one. After all. Yet again!

Pls pic of the photocopied flyer so that this ur gbegiri u feeding us go sweet.

1 Like

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by dustmalik: 11:26am On Sep 29, 2017
MabraO:

Pls pic of the photocopied flyer so that this ur gbegiri u feeding us go sweet.
I'm not sure of the two page flyer OP was referring to, but I was given this two page copy containing info of dealership.

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 12:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
People on cyberspace can be so damn uncouth. Some of us assume that someone cannot hold an opinion without being "paid" or being an agent of one of the parties. That is not right at all. For all these sort of people, I have nothing but pity. Plenty of it.

For the records, I am a very angry DSTV customer. The last paragraph of my treatise was clear on this. I undertook this journey with excitement, and hope that I would find solace in Tstv. I came away distraught, and decided to share my experience. Whoever feels I am an agent of DSTV is free to hold that view. Just as he/she is free to visit Yaba left for psychiatric test.

2 Likes

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by DatLagboi(m): 12:39pm On Sep 29, 2017
Mehn no much profit atall for the sellers. From the look of things we the end users might not get this stuff till October 7th sef
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by Finstar: 5:42pm On Sep 29, 2017
dustmalik:

I'm not sure of the two page flyer OP was referring to, but I was given this two page copy containing info of dealership.

Please, what's the minimum number of decoder a retailer is expected to buy?
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by dustmalik: 6:02pm On Sep 29, 2017
Finstar:

Please, what's the minimum number of decoder a retailer is expected to buy?
Minimum of 10 pieces at N4,600 each
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by Finstar: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2017
dustmalik:

Minimum of 10 pieces at N4,600 each

Thank you.. Was working on an article on how to be a TSTV dealer.. I wanted to be certain .. Thanks once again
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by dustmalik: 6:16pm On Sep 29, 2017
Finstar:

Thank you.. Was working on an article on how to be a TSTV dealer.. I wanted to be certain .. Thanks once again
You are welcome
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by lastbaff(m): 6:40pm On Sep 29, 2017
sisimmi:
Good job, Op. I'm glad you actually went there to see things yourself. Thanks for sharing your experience.

In my own view, this doesn't mean they aren't up to the task. From what I understand, TStv is not the actual transmitting company. Signal will be transmitted by Asia Broadcast Satellite (ABS - check the link below for more).

TStv may not necessarily require all those "fancy stuffs" one may expect in order to broadcast.

For example, most (or even all) website hosting companies owned by Nigerians don't actually do the hosting. They don't own the servers. Some peeps even run their hosting companies from their homes with their laptops. Yet, they deliver the expected services.

Some things may look awkward since they're just beginning. Such things can be overlooked. A handwritten flyer doesn't mean they can't deliver premium services.

Let's hope for the best and eschew trivial shortcomings. [PS: I understand you're not against them]

Guys, learn more about TStv here:
TStv Nigeria: Subscription, Decoder Price, Channels, and where to Buy

1 Like

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by solelymade: 6:51pm On Sep 29, 2017
Wats the anxiety... We need healthy competition that will favour both consumers and service providers and not a kind of competition that will put out thousands of Dstv employees in the labour market. I am not too sure Tstv will even be a competitor let alone a major force in the cable TV market. Time will tell
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 3:59pm On Oct 15, 2017
Folks started "harassing me" when I opened this thread. They said I was a pessimist. Today, the channels list has disappeared from TSTV website. No one has ever seen their decoder. Still I hope....

1 Like

Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by dustmalik: 8:43pm On Oct 15, 2017
sisimmi:
Folks started "harassing me" when I opened this thread. They said I was a pessimist. Today, the channels list has disappeared from TSTV website. No one has ever seen their decoder. Still I hope....
The page has even disappeared from the site. Though it could be that it's being updated.
Re: A Snooper's Experience With Tstv: Fiction Vs Reality by sisimmi: 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2017
Hahahahahaha. I laugh in spanish. Where are the e-diots that tried to skin me alive when I raised this alarm? #BringBackOurTSTV

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Koko Mansion Aired (videos On Youtube) / Boondocks / Isaakaba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.