Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,587 members, 7,837,217 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:11 PM

African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' (725 Views)

Droupadi Murmu: So The President Of India Is A BLACK Woman! Wonderful. / Did King Charles Ignore A Handshake From A Black Man In Viral Video? / Ayasel Slay "Bint Mecca Girls": Saudis Call For Deportation Of A Black Rapper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:08pm On Sep 29, 2017
African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing'
By Samuel Smith , CP Reporter | Sep 28, 2017 7:59 AM

Virginia Bishop E.W. Jackson, an African-American who's known for his conservative political activism, has lambasted the NFL for allowing its players to "disrespect" the United States by protesting during the playing of nation anthem before games.

Jackson, who heads the nonprofit coalition of conservative black pastors called S.T.A.N.D. and runs Exodus Faith Ministries in Chesapeake, posted a video to his Facebook page on Monday to voice his "disgust" with players who protest during the singing of the "Star Spangled Banner" in order to shed light on police brutality against African-Americans.

"I want you to notice. Look very closely. I am black. I am an American of African descent. My great grandparents were slaves and then sharecroppers in Orange County, Virginia. But let there be no mistake. I love my country," Jackson, a Marine veteran and a former Republican nominee for lieutenant governor of Virginia, said. "I am proud to be an American. I love that flag. I love our national anthem, and I am black."

"So this is not a black thing. This is a leftist thing. This is a racial obsession thing," he continued. "Trying to make this into a black/white thing, it is not. I can tell you, there are plenty of black people across this country who love our country, love our flag, and are disgusted by this display of anti-Americanism and hatred for our country and simply don't support it not one bit."

Jackson said if it were not for the "wonderful free market system of the United States of America," professional athletes would not have the opportunities they are afforded.

"You would not have millions of dollars, you would not live in a mansion, you would not drive Rolls-Royces and Lamborghinis, you would not be partying at these expensive night clubs and doing whatever else it is you do," Jackson asserted. "You can only do that because of the wondrous nation we have that has given more opportunity, more hope, more prosperity to more people than any nation that has ever existed in the history of mankind."

The 65 year old had particularly strong words for the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars players who took a knee or sat during the playing of the U.S. anthem before their game in London on Sunday and then stood for the playing of the United Kingdom's anthem.

"Those of you who won't stand for our flag or won't stand for our national anthem, who hate our country so much, just leave," Jackson demanded. "You sports figures have enough money. You can just leave. Renounce your American citizenship and go somewhere else. Go find the country that you think is so just and live there and leave us alone.

Although the anthem protest movement started in August 2016 with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick protesting police violence against African-Americans, Jackson claims that "there is no epidemic of police brutality against black people."

"If you actually want to take a cold hard look at the data, the actual facts, there is no such thing," Jackson said. "There might have been in the 1950s, it might have been in the 1960s, but its not in 2017."

Jackson pointed to data that suggests that twice as many white people are killed in police confrontations than black people each year.

As The Washington Post found via a real-time database launched in 2015 to track fatal police shootings, over 732 white people have been shot and killed by on-duty police officers in over an 18-month timespan. Meanwhile, 381 of those killed by on-duty cops were black and 382 were of another race.

"Twice as many white people are killed in confrontations with police," Jackson said. "But you won't hear about that from the mainstream media because they are interested in pursuing this narrative of racial division."

Jackson argued that when there are over 2.7 million black people arrested every year, just under 400 in an 18-month time span is a minuscule percentage.

"I am not saying that no police officer has ever done anything wrong and that no police officer has ever behaved racially. I am not saying that," Jackson added. "I know better than that. What I am saying that is statistically, there is no epidemic of police brutality. There is epidemic of black-on-black crime and murder. That's the problem but you don't want to talk about that."

It should be noted that according to The Washington Post data, a higher total percentage of African-Americans are killed by police than the percentage of white people killed by police officers.

"White people make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers," The Washington Post reports. "African Americans, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population."

However, Jackson reasons that the disproportionate number of black people killed by police is due to a disproportionate number of African-Americans who are involved in violent crimes.

"Just look at the Bureau of Justice statistics. That's the fact," he said. "Black men commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes. You might not like to hear that but it's the truth."

Jackson, a Trump supporter, continued by agreeing with President Donald Trump that NFL owners should fire players who protest the national anthem. He also said that he believes NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell should be fired. He also argued that it was not Trump who divided the country, "Colin Kaepernick and the idiots who followed him" did.

"I might not have expressed it quite that way, but I am glad somebody, and I am glad it was the president of the United States who stood up for what I am feeling," Jackson said of the president's remarks at the Luther Strange campaign rally in Alabama last week.

Although many who feel that the NFL anthem protest is disrespectful favour Trump speaking up for their beliefs, NFL players, including those who choose to stand for the national anthem, felt as if Trump's comments at last week's campaign rally in Alabama were a "direct attack" on their brotherhood.

"We felt, as many others did, that this was a direct attack on our brotherhood," Christian Baltimore Ravens tight end Benjamin Watson said in an interview with ABC earlier this week.

"Even to imply that we don't have a right to express ourselves in any way, whether you agree or not, is something that we really took to heart," Watson added.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/african-american-pastor-nfl-national-anthem-protests-are-not-a-black-thing-200779/

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 1:27pm On Sep 29, 2017
Continue to copy and paste the news that suits your ideological deficiencies and continue to display your HYPOCRISY everywhere online. I'm here for you!
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

Continue to copy and paste the news that suits your ideological deficiencies and continue to display your HYPOCRISY everywhere online. I'm here for you!

What's wrong with the OP that I've copied and pasted? Are you getting worried that the truth is being revealed? If you think you've got a better ideology than the OP's then make your case known instead of generating emotional blackmail here.
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 3:49pm On Sep 29, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

What's wrong with the OP that I've copied and pasted? Are you getting worried that the truth is being revealed? If you think you've got a better ideology than the OP's then make your case known instead of generating emotional blackmail here.

Everything is wrong with the OP because you only in the business of copy and paste with a critical thinking of your own as long as its in line with your ideology, it's good for pasting online. Now, let me put it to your face:

I can counter all that was said in the OP BUT time will not permit me. However, in the course of discussion in this thread, if I have your time, I will mention and counter few or all.

Now, lemme show you and your preacher who's a Trump supporter just like you black republican your hypocrisy and we can go from there:

Why will "some" white folks in America put up side by side the confederate flags and the blacks can't take a knee to the same flag even though the first amendment allowed them to exercise their right? Who among them dishonor the flag the most and what right does one have to do it and the other can't?
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 4:23pm On Sep 29, 2017
While I take a break and return to dismantle your argument like I often do in the religious section, enjoy yourself with this video from your president:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpR770aP2k
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:27pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

Everything is wrong with the OP because you only in the business of copy and paste with a critical thinking of your own as long as its in line with your ideology, it's good for pasting online. Now, let me put it to your face:

I can counter all that was said in the OP BUT time will not permit me. However, in the course of discussion in this thread, if I have your time, I will mention and counter few or all.

You have to let us know what you mad about, is it the fact that I copied and pasted the OP or the fact that the OP sees things different from you? undecided

Goshen360:

Now, lemme show you and your preacher who's a Trump supporter just like you black republican your hypocrisy and we can go from there:

Why will "some" white folks in America put up side by side the confederate flags and the blacks can't take a knee to the same flag even though the first amendment allowed them to exercise their right? Who among them dishonor the flag the most and what right does one have to do it and the other can't?

Since your ideology is different from that of the preacher and of Trump which makes you a leftist, may I say that it is safe to say that not all unpatriotic who find their national flags and anthems repulsive. angry

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

While I take a break and return to dismantle your argument like I often do in the religious section, enjoy yourself with this video from your president:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htpR770aP2k

Liar! Why don't you show us the threads where these supposed arguments you dismantled are? I can see that you've been feeding on fake news information. It is obvious that you can't be a Christian for long if you keep to the leftist liberal ideologies. Now I see why you've disappeared from the religion section.

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 4:32pm On Sep 29, 2017
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

You have to let us know what you mad about, is it the fact that I copied and pasted the OP or the fact that the OP sees things different from you? undecided

Since your ideology is different from that of the preacher and of Trump which makes you a leftist, may I say that it is safe to say that not all unpatriotic who find their national flags and anthems repulsive. angry

grin grin grin

I began to show your hypocrisy and that of your so called preacher! Deal with it because you really can't debate nothing if its not copy and paste.....nothing can you debate!

Again, if you can't see my arguement, I really can't help you and your blindness or should I say I can't help your dumbness.

Now, what make a or some white folks go uncritized when they place the confederate/rebel flag with the US flag and a black man can't knee to the same flag. Btw, who dishonored the flag the most?
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 4:44pm On Sep 29, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Liar! Why don't you show us the threads where these supposed arguments you dismantled are? I can see that you've been feeding on fake news information. It is obvious that you can't be a Christian for long if you keep to the leftist liberal ideologies. Now I see why you've disappeared from the religion section.

And who in the world said I disappeared from the religious section? Can't you check my last post in the religious section? I just dont take pleasure and don't have time like that for dumb post you filling the section with, I do read from more threads from time to time at my leisure and just because I don't comment doesn't mean I disappeared.

You are so far from the relationship between the FLAG and the CONSTITUTION that you don't even know how and what to argue! However, the FLAG represent what the constitution stands for, the CONSTITUTION doesn't stand for the FLAG! Lord, I have to educate you in order to argue with you? Lord help me!
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:01pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

grin grin grin

I began to show your hypocrisy and that of your so called preacher! Deal with it because you really can't debate nothing if its not copy and paste.....nothing can you debate!

Again, if you can't see my arguement, I really can't help you and your blindness or should I say I can't help your dumbness.

Now, what make a or some white folks go uncritized when they place the confederate/rebel flag with the US flag and a black man can't knee to the same flag. Btw, who dishonored the flag the most?

You are the one going on a tangent. Tell me how your questions address the OP? If you cannot comment on the OP then you are free to open another thread to moan about your topics. I can see that you have lost your faith in Christ and that's even if you had it in the first place, seeing your use of language. That's what supporting a godless ideology does to whatever iota of faith you ever had and I wouldn't be surprised that you have now changed your faith like Colin Kaepernick has. undecided

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:05pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

And who in the world said I disappeared from the religious section? Can't you check my last post in the religious section? I just dont take pleasure and don't have time like that for dumb post you filling the section with, I do read from more threads from time to time at my leisure and just because I don't comment doesn't mean I disappeared.

You are so far from the relationship between the FLAG and the CONSTITUTION that you don't even know how and what to argue! However, the FLAG represent what the constitution stands for, the CONSTITUTION doesn't stand for the FLAG! Lord, I have to educate you in order to argue with you? Lord help me!

Why call the Lord in vain? Educate yourself first on the history of the country you are trying to adopt before you come here to disseminate your ignorance.

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by Goshen360(m): 5:13pm On Sep 29, 2017
okay.....I can't help you anymore if you can't see how my question is related to the OP....Okay, alright! Smh!Keep wishing me fall from faith in Christ and His finished works, you joker! The Lord keeps His own!
Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:31pm On Sep 29, 2017
Goshen360:

okay.....I can't help you anymore if you can't see how my question is related to the OP....Okay, alright! Smh!Keep wishing me fall from faith in Christ and His finished works, you joker! The Lord keeps His own!

If you still have your faith you will be advocating that NFL players should be taking both knees in prayer, a feat that you Democrats detest. Ask Tebow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2IMSviCIGk

Re: African-American Pastor: NFL National Anthem Protests Are 'Not a Black Thing' by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:22pm On Oct 04, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Cuba: Fidel Castro's Son Commits Suicide / Meet UK Prime Minister’s Girlfriend, Carrie Symonds / India Plays Macho Man As Trump Enters Stadium Of 110,000 Indians Wear Trump Hats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.