Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,718 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:43 PM

The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging (11912 Views)

Smartphone Charging Myth Busted / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery / See Why Your Infinix Phone Is Not Charging/ Not Charging Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by KCode: 11:48pm On Sep 29, 2017
I cannot begin to overemphasize the importance of charging our devices, especially our smartphones - you can relate to that.

Charging is fast becoming a way of life for most people, isn't it so?

My focus on this post is on smartphone charging. We even go as much as charging them overnight, but is it a healthy habit at that?

Leaving your smartphone plugged-in overnight while you sleep doesn't do good to it at all. Right from the first charge after purchase the battery starts to depreciate, but even at that, not so terribly as when its ideally charged.
Leaving your smartphone charged up to 100% isn't beneficial - I've done my study. Stop your charging a little above 90% or a little below 90%.
Another thing, when it goes below 20% it reads red, and that's a sign of imminent depreciation. Charging at 40% is better.
Worse case scenario is allowing it go battery empty. This has a negative effect on the life span of the battery.
With mobile technology seeing so much development and smartphones coming out more frequently with non-removeable batteries, it makes more sense to maintain a healthy battery life if you desire to use the device for a couple of years.
And here comes a typical question when you want to trade-in a smartphone: how good is its battery life?

Source:http://informationfromjay..com.ng/2017/09/the-reality-of-unhealthy-charging.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Unlimited22: 12:18am On Sep 30, 2017
In Nigeria,with no light?
Modified : FTC at last!!!
Today's gonna b a good day!!!

15 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by MhizzAJ(f): 9:19am On Sep 30, 2017
Okay
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Ryabcool(m): 9:19am On Sep 30, 2017
Comman beat me if I use my battery to 0% na.

You'll explain to me whether you're the one that will give me light or fuel to charge my phone. undecided

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Tic4tac(m): 9:19am On Sep 30, 2017
What iz op saying?? embarassed

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by ncine: 9:20am On Sep 30, 2017
You've done your study. Okay.. Where? How? how did you measure performance? Did you use a new phone? how long was your study? one day or a few years? With one phone or several phones to take into account manufacturers, battery type, phone usage, charger type etc? Was your study done with an high-end phone or a low-end phone? Now did the manufacturer say stop charging at this or that percent? These companies spend $B on R & D and you are doing your own study and claiming stuff here.... Abeg.

Use the right chargers and keep your phones charged

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by torkmoney: 9:21am On Sep 30, 2017
Unlimited22:
In Nigeria,with no light?

My area here. I have not seen light for 6 days now.
How can follow all dis rules when dere is no light to even charge embarassed embarassed cry cry cry cry

Maybe the OP stays in banana island.

5 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Goodnuel: 9:22am On Sep 30, 2017
Just to charge phone??

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Taeewo(m): 9:22am On Sep 30, 2017
Who understands the op?

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by sleeknick: 9:22am On Sep 30, 2017
Who get small pin charger abeg

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by mrbillz(m): 9:23am On Sep 30, 2017
100% charged and still plugged. They will soon take light
So make I charge till them take am undecided

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Laraberry: 9:26am On Sep 30, 2017
Great write up op, but you dint give a reason 90% charging preferrable.
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by internationalman(m): 9:28am On Sep 30, 2017
is it written any where on the phone manual that it's not healthy to charge battery to 100%,..
Nigerians claiming to know a products more than its manufacturer whereas they cannot even produce matches and tooth picks.

22 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Eze2000(m): 9:28am On Sep 30, 2017
Tic4tac:
What iz op saying?? embarassed

Confusing right?

What he's saying basically is, if you want your battery to last, never charge it to full....100%. On the other hand, never allow the battery drain up completely before u charge it.

That's about. He just didn't pick his words right but he's telling the truth.

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by olola4(m): 9:38am On Sep 30, 2017
okay
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Rainmaker69(m): 9:40am On Sep 30, 2017
You've done your study, how can we confirm whether your study is enough if you don't share the findings from the study.
I'm not sure you understand how smart phone charging works. Most phones come with software that regulates charging function-smart charging if you may.
Overcharging is a thing though but not where power supply is epileptic.
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by stano2(m): 9:41am On Sep 30, 2017
Well Op this does not apply to me sha, well I got a phone that if u don't charge it up to 97% then u have been wasting ur time because as soon as you unplug, it's down to 64%.
So Op u want me to stop using my phone once it's below 40%. I hope this post is not directed to Nigerians

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Yusfunoble(m): 9:41am On Sep 30, 2017
Nice but u forgot Nigeria itself isn't normal.

All these math kolewerk

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by jessejunior(m): 9:42am On Sep 30, 2017
all this one na story in diz part of the world

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by ernieboy(m): 9:54am On Sep 30, 2017
except u are using a poorly designed phone the charge algorithm in your phone automatically disconnects ur phone when it is full. also when ur phone reads 0% it is not actually 0% there is a reserved percentage of battery capacity that is left so the battery does not actually get to 0% however if you are not sure if your phone incorporates these protective features you can observe the advise above.

6 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Hakeem12(m): 9:59am On Sep 30, 2017
it's just a common belief that when you buy a new phone you have to charge it over a period of time or so, in fact some do believe that you have to charge overnight for the battery to be strong. It's all a lie. For your info, batteries don't really need to be charged to 100% to perform optimally. Most batteries nowadays come with 500 to 1000 charge cycles, meaning when you charge your phone to 100% and drain the battery completely, you have used a CYCLE. That's why most batteries start degrading after a period of two to three years.
1. Maintain your battery charge level between 20% and 80%, meaning when you have to charge, dont let it go higher than 80% and dont let it fall below 20%, this will double the lifespan of your battery be it laptop or smartphone battery.
2. Avoid using your battery when charging, this might not affect the battery immediately, but over time, it will start to do so. You will start noticing that your battery takes longer to charge and that it discharges faster, ask anyone who uses a laptop and has to plug it in before using just because he has been using the battery that way for years.
Remember charging your battery to 100% and using it up completely uses up your charge cycle faster, but maintain ing between 20 and 80 doubles the lifespan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Hakeem12(m): 10:01am On Sep 30, 2017
But Nigeria is not helping things
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Gary88: 10:12am On Sep 30, 2017
i use itel with a 7000 mah battery if you dont charge it over night it will never get to 90% so op do your findings before you post

1 Like

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Simeony007(m): 10:16am On Sep 30, 2017
F
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 30, 2017
ncine:
You've done your study. Okay.. Where? How? how did you measure performance? Did you use a new phone? how long was your study? one day or a few years? With one phone or several phones to take into account manufacturers, battery type, phone usage, charger type etc? Was your study done with an high-end phone or a low-end phone? Now did the manufacturer say stop charging at this or that percent? These companies spend $B on R & D and you are doing your own study and claiming stuff here.... Abeg.

Na so.
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by NothingDoMe: 10:37am On Sep 30, 2017
I disagree. You can charge your phones safely overnight
Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 30, 2017
Where u c light?

4 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by cashng: 10:45am On Sep 30, 2017
I am not not aware of the above but whenever I see light I charge my phone even to 101%, simple!

3 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by ExInferis(m): 10:51am On Sep 30, 2017
Modern batteries don't actually charge all the way to 100% despite what your battery indicator tells you. Nor do batteries deplete to 0% even if your phone won't boot up.

This is because charging is controlled by software, and to avoid warranty claims the charging governor stops charging at 90%+ even when while your indicator says 100% charged. Same software shuts your phone down with actual 5% to 10% charge left.

This is all deliberate to elongate battery life.

Your charging indicator is always lying to you for your own good.

And leaving your battery plugged in overnight is harmless: the software automatically stops charging internally no matter what the battery indicator tells you.

So don't create needless panic.

12 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by hopefulLandlord: 11:00am On Sep 30, 2017
ncine:

All Nairalanders should stop whatever they're doing and applaud this post

2 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by PotatoSalad(m): 11:26am On Sep 30, 2017
ExInferis:
Modern batteries don't actually charge all the way to 100% despite what your battery indicator tells you. Nor do batteries deplete to 0% even if your phone won't boot up.

This is because charging is controlled by software, and to avoid warranty claims the charging governor stops charging at 90%+ even when while your indicator says 100% charged. Same software shuts your phone down with actual 5% to 10% charge left.

This is all deliberate to elongate battery life.

Your charging indicator is always lying to you for your own good.

And leaving your battery plugged in overnight is harmless: the software automatically stops charging internally no matter what the battery indicator tells you.

So don't create needless panic.

one bottle of ice cold Heineken for you.
tell them
somebody will just wake up in the morning and start typing rubbish cos of what he thinks.

5 Likes

Re: The Reality Of Unhealthy Smartphone Charging by just2endowed: 11:55am On Sep 30, 2017
Get a Romoss PowerBank, check my signature

(1) (2) (Reply)

[Updated] Full List Of Best Xiaomi Phones 2020 / Opening The Back Cover Of Tecno L8 Lite / Beware Of Jumia (so Disappointed) - I Received A Fake Item

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.