Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:45 PM

Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses (618 Views)

Seplat ‘Majestic’ Oil Rig Collapses In Delta, One Dies, 3 Missing / Nigeria’s Off-Grid Solar Market Is Among The Fastest Growing In Africa / Spar Shopping Mall In Calabar Collapses, Customers Feared Trapped (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by Nobody: 12:38am On Sep 30, 2017
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said a total  system collapse of the national  grid was recorded on Sept. 28 at 8:03 p.m., resulting in  temporary  loss of  electricity generation for the nation’s power grid.
A statement from TCN’s  management on Friday in Abuja said that reports obtained from  power stations and the sequence of events generated by the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) had  revealed the cause of the collapse.
It said the SCADA system report  indicated that the system collapse was triggered by the tripping of Egbin power plants Units ST4, ST6 and ST5.It, however, said that restoration of grid system had also commenced at 8:22 p.m. on Sept. 28.
According to the statement, a post mortem analysis of the issue indicated that grid generation was curtailed to about 4,262.7 Mega Watts (MW) before the disturbance.
It further revealed that the analysis conducted clearly  showed that there was insufficient level of rotating reserve provided by grid-connected generation companies a
rising from low tariffs for providing ancillary services.

It said TCN had filed an application to the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) for an extraordinary tariff review to avert further occurrence of such incident.

Source:. Vanguard
Re: Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by chukxie(m): 12:58am On Sep 30, 2017
Nigerian's inability to provide constant and reliable electricity supply over the years is shameful. Totally shameful! Honestly speaking at this point, I'm doubtful if my generation would ever experience 24 hours/365 days of uninterrupted power supply. I'd be very happy if we did.
Re: Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by whitebeard(m): 1:20am On Sep 30, 2017
chukxie:
Nigerian's inability to provide constant and reliable electricity supply over the years is shameful. Totally shameful! Honestly speaking at this point, I'm doubtful if my generation would ever experience 24 hours/365 days of uninterrupted power supply. I'd be very happy if we did.
so u think Nigeria cannot provide 24/hr supply of electricity yet we are responsible for the one ghana, Niger, benin enjoy...!! The enemy is not Nigerians but the government..
Re: Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by chukxie(m): 3:08am On Sep 30, 2017
whitebeard:
so u think Nigeria cannot provide 24/hr supply of electricity yet we are responsible for the one ghana, Niger, benin enjoy...!! The enemy is not Nigerians but the government..

Without any shadow of doubt the Nigerian gov't has the ability to provide constant and reliable electricity supply for Nigerians. However, the real and intriguing question is why hasn't it done so? It beats me, bro. And I'm sure it beats you, too.
Re: Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by Roseey0(f): 6:18am On Sep 30, 2017
I still hv light here . Abi Ago don dey use Ghana grids?
Re: Blackout: Nigeria’s National Grid Collapses by whitebeard(m): 7:22am On Sep 30, 2017
chukxie:

Without any shadow of doubt the Nigerian gov't has the ability to provide constant and reliable electricity supply for Nigerians. However, the real and intriguing question is why hasn't it done so? It beats me, bro. And I'm sure it beats you, too.
yes of course.

(1) (Reply)

How To Earn Between 10$ To 60$ Working From Home As A Telemarketer / Do You Know You Can Start A Business With #10,000 And Make 100% Profit. / Don't Get Stuck Owning A Job - Learn To Own A Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.