Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,964 members, 7,821,385 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:17 PM

Origin Of The Name Bello?! - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Name Bello?! (46767 Views)

Governor Yahaya Bello Deposes Four Kogi Traditional Rulers / The Authentic Origin Of Man And The Universe. / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by mohiozua(m): 8:20am On Oct 02, 2017
ELAFANTASY:

bello is an italian word which means handsome and for girls its bella meaning beautiful. ciao

Thank you for this comment.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by GetMeRight: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2017
nnokwa042:
papa and mama is latin word in whole europe is mama only in bretain u can hear mum or mother, but baba that afonja use is arabic words
Mr baboon, IPOB jew. What is the Yoruba name for father if "baba" is an Arabic word?
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by mohiozua(m): 8:22am On Oct 02, 2017
hemsquare:
Bello is an Italian, Spanish surname from bello 'handsome/beautiful' (Late Latin bellus), hence a nickname for a handsome man. In medieval Italy the word was also applied as a personal name, which also gave rise to the surname.
Source : Wikipedia.
Thank you for this comment
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by Kingbusssy(m): 8:22am On Oct 02, 2017
hatchy:
The name is of English origin.

It means "Bell" that is "Low" tone in English grin
Oh boy
I pray youyou receive sense o
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by Kingbusssy(m): 8:24am On Oct 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
Yeah, just like Muhammad to Mohammed

You get am bro
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by kjhova(m): 8:29am On Oct 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
Hello people,

I was curious, just wanted to know the origin of this name. I've noticed that all tribes bear the this, so anyone who knows can educate us.

Thank you!

Dear OP,

It is heart breaking that 5 pages into this simple question, no one is close to the answer enough due to the acute knowledge of history among Nigerians

The name/surname/root name Bello is common in Spain, Portugal, Nigeria and many parts of South America (due to Spanish colonization) & West Africa (due to Muslim influence).

Let me connect the dots for you.

Bello (and its other variants; Barro, Ballo etc) were common Tuareg/Berber names in the 10th century even as these tribes were converted to Islam during the 1st Caliphate's spread across North Africa and the Sahara. The name spread to the Iberian peninsula (I.e. Spain, Portugal) & Corsica when these regions were conquered by the Almoravids and later by the Almohades who were Moroccan peoples consisting of many ethnicities including Berbers, Arabs, Tuaregs, Fulas and black West Africans!

The name became standard surname in Spanish at this time and remained so even after the Muslims were driven out 400years later by the reconquistas.

Around this time, Cristober Colombo discovered the New World which led to Spanish colonization of most of South America. The surname Bello went with them to these new countries and remains there till today.

The Fulas introduced the name to the many nationalities they encountered across West Africa including the Wollof, Dagomba, Hausa, Nupe, Yoruba, Edo, Igalla etc.

The name has even sipped into modern Western Arabic and it exists scarcely in places far east as Sudan and Egypt!

So yes Bello, as a name, has primarily been spread across the world by the influence of Spanish and Islam.

And it is indeed a beautiful and historically rich name borne by many diverse peoples across diverse countries all over the world.

Cc: @Ogbonti

I believe I have explained why Ramon Bello played alongside Gabby Batistuta for Argentina in 1994.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by RedboneSmith(m): 8:29am On Oct 02, 2017
blarkraimez:

As I am also called Bello myself.... i realised it's an italian name meaning beautiful... also here in Germany most of my italian friends attest to my findings anytime I tell them my name is Bello dapo... they emphasised on how beautiful the name is in italian.... the only explanation to the name crossing to Nigerian was the Roman Catholic missionaries..... As most people belief it's a Muslim name which is not... not in the Qur'an and never an Arabic name

Roman Catholic missionaries, and yet somehow the name is not common among Catholics in Nigeria, but is common among Fulanis (who are not Christians) and other tribes that came in close contact with Fulanis like Nupe, Yoruba, some Edo, etc. So Catholic missionaries gave Sultan Muhammad Bello his name in the 19th century? Which Catholic Missionary went to Sokoto in the 19th century?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by mustybaba55(m): 8:31am On Oct 02, 2017
Bello is an Islamic​ name is not tribal name or anything pls
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by xreal: 8:34am On Oct 02, 2017
How will I know?

I am not from Kwara.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by smartleo(m): 8:43am On Oct 02, 2017
mrlaw93:
All tribes call their father papa.. watz d origin?
Your question is same as someone asking why the sky is blue..
Not the same sir/ma. There is a distinction except you are done learning.have an open mind to knowledge. Gudmorin
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by bellolwl62(m): 8:57am On Oct 02, 2017
"Few people realize that “Bello” is Nigeria’s most universal “ethnic” name. Fewer still give a thought to how that came to be. By “ethnic” name, I mean a name that isn’t derived from universal religions like Christianity or Islam, which most Nigerians profess and practice, and that isn’t a Western ethnic name introduced to us through colonialism.
Bello is a Nigerian Fulani name that has, over the years, lost its ethnic rootedness. It is the only name that is borne either as a first name or a last name in all Nigerian geo-cultural groups, except in the former Eastern Region, that is, Igboland and southern minorities, minus Edo State (who doesn’t know the Bello-Osagie family?).
If we go by Nigeria’s contemporary geo-political categories, it’s only in the southeast and in the south-south (with the exception of Edo) that you may not find a native Bello. (There are three Bellos among Nigeria’s current governors, and at least one of them has no drop of Fulani blood in him). Essentially, of Nigeria’s 36 states, only 10 states don’t have a native Bello. No other “ethnic” name even comes close to this onomastic cosmopolitanism. (Onomastics is the study of names)"

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by nnokwa042(m): 8:59am On Oct 02, 2017
GetMeRight:

Mr baboon, IPOB jew. What is the Yoruba name for father if "baba" is an Arabic word?
baba is arabic word or u want to tell me that afonja took islam to arab people?so akeem muyideen tawakalitu muinotu is afonja names abi ?i know the meaning of bukola what is meaning of tawakalitu
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by RedboneSmith(m): 9:17am On Oct 02, 2017
kjhova:

Dear OP,

It is heart breaking that 5 pages into this simple question, no one is close to the answer enough due to the acute knowledge of history among Nigerians

The name/surname/root name Bello is common in Spain, Portugal, Nigeria and many parts of South America (due to Spanish colonization) & West Africa (due to Muslim influence).

Bello (and its other variants; Barro, Ballo etc) were common Tuareg/Berber names in the 10th century even as these tribes were converted to Islam during the 1st Caliphate's spread across North Africa and the Sahara. The name spread to the Iberian peninsula (I.e. Spain, Portugal) & Corsica when these regions were conquered by the Almoravids and later by the Almohades who were Moroccan peoples consisting of many ethnicities including Berbers, Arabs, Tuaregs, Fulas and black West Africans!

The name became standard surname in Spanish at this time and remained so even after the Muslims were driven out 400years later by the reconquistas.

Around this time, Cristober Colombo discovered the New World which led to Spanish colonization of most of South America. The surname Bello went with them to these new countries and remains there till today.

The Fulas introduced the name to the many nationalities they encountered across West Africa including the Wollof, Dagomba, Hausa, Nupe, Yoruba, Edo, Igalla etc.

The name has even sipped into modern Western Arabic and it exists scarcely in places far east as Sudan and Egypt!

So yes Bello, as a name, has primarily been spread across the world by the influence of Spanish and Islam.

And it is indeed a beautiful and historically rich name borne by many diverse peoples across diverse countries all over the world.

I believe I have explained why Ramon Bello played alongside Gabby Batistuta for Argentina in 1994.

Nice write-up. The Berber/Arab colonisation of Spain is true enough. It is also true some influence from the colonisation is still visible in Spain, Portugal and Sicily.

However the connection you made between Fulani Ballo/Bello and Spanish Bello is fictitious. They are two very different names that accidentally sound alike.

Fulani Ballo/Bello = Helper/assistant.

Spanish Bello = Handsome

It is similar to Lola which is both a Yoruba and a Spanish name with different meanings in the two languages.

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by GetMeRight: 9:19am On Oct 02, 2017
nnokwa042:
baba is arabic word or u want to tell me that afonja took islam to arab people?so akeem muyideen tawakalitu muinotu is afonja names abi ?i know the meaning of bukola what is meaning of tawakalitu
There are arabic names and there are Yoruba names just like there are Christian or English names.
I'm asking you to tell me the Yoruba word for "father" since you are so sure that "baba" was a borrowed Arabic word by afonja.
In your local language, you have a word for father. Are you telling me that yoruba didn't have a word for father other than the one you termed arabic? And again, "baba" is not an Arabic word for father.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by olowobaba10: 9:23am On Oct 02, 2017
O'L BOY YOU DE VEX O, I LIKE YOUR ANSWER
Flashh:
Ask Bello. Don't disturb me. angry
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by RussianICBM(m): 9:24am On Oct 02, 2017
nnokwa042:
mr man fulani people dont ve original name they answer anything like LGA name if u go to north u will see fulani names like alhaji tofa of tofa town alhaji bauchi of bauchi town,

lol that is a general hausa trait though.
Not Fulani behavior.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by chloride6: 9:25am On Oct 02, 2017
[quote author=blarkraimez post=6p1021493][/quote]

Like I said you all need your heads reexamined.

Your argument is as stupid as saying Lara as in Lara George is the same as Lara Oshiomole.

Some other guys have brought forward a more suitable explanation saying it's has Fulani roots.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by nnokwa042(m): 9:37am On Oct 02, 2017
GetMeRight:

There are arabic names and there are Yoruba names just like there are Christian or English names.
I'm asking you to tell me the Yoruba word for "father" since you are so sure that "baba" was a borrowed Arabic word by afonja.
In your local language, you have a word for father. Are you telling me that yoruba didn't have a word for father other than the one you termed arabic? And again, "baba" is not an Arabic word for father.
igbo word for father is nnam so check around the world what baba means,remember alubosa is borrowed word from arabic
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by CraePixie: 9:46am On Oct 02, 2017
Ask Korede or Sir Bello
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by murmee: 9:51am On Oct 02, 2017
Mbediogu:

You nailed it 100percent. Thanks.
You are very wrong. According to a teacher from Ilorin, the original name is Billau. During the colonial time in Nigeria, the White people could not pronounce Billau very well and were saying Beelo instead. That was how the name Bello evolved and was accepted by the people.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by kjhova(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2017
RedboneSmith:

Nice write-up. The Berber/Arab colonisation of Spain is true enough. It is also true some influence from the colonisation is still visible in Spain, Portugal and Sicily.

However the connection you made between Fulani Ballo/Bello and Spanish Bello is fictitious. They are two very different names that accidentally sound alike.

Fulani Ballo/Bello = Helper/assistant.

Spanish Bello = Handsome

It is similar to Lola which is both a Yoruba and a Spanish name with different meanings in the two languages.

I appreciate your comment, man. As a follow up, I want to convince you that my postulation isn't fictitious in any way and is supported by fair amount f research. You know that etymology is always contested anyway and there is always multiple opinions.

There is no evidence yet of Bello being used as name in the Iberian peninsula, Italy or the Latin world until the Muslim era. Words like Bellus, Guapos, Decorus, Bello, Belli, Bella etc were used to describe beauty and handsome but were not ascribed as individual or family names.

Bello, as a name, was introduced by the Muslims to Iberia and from there it spread round the western world. The Fulas spread the same name across West Africa and the Sahara.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by adriftonmemories(m): 10:18am On Oct 02, 2017
wunmi590:
The name originated from the yorubas in the olden days,

It was actually coined out from an incidence that happened between a wife and a husband,

During argument between the husband and the wife, the following argument ensue.

The husband gave the wife a bam to the wife to help use to rub the body, but fortunately, it fell down from the husband, so the wife was telling the husband to pick it up,

But the husband disagreed and told the wife to bend down and use it.

Which means "Béré kó ló" in Yoruba (bend down and use it)

So from there they coined out "Bello from it

Believe that write up at your own peril grin cool

I almost did grin
Idiot cheesy cheesy grin cool

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by RussianICBM(m): 10:22am On Oct 02, 2017
kjhova:

I appreciate your comment, man. As a follow up, I want to convince you that my postulation isn't fictitious in any way and is supported by fair amount f research. You know that etymology is always contested anyway and there is always multiple opinions.

There is no evidence yet of Bello being used as name in the Iberian peninsula, Italy or the Latin world until the Muslim era. Words like Bellus, Guapos, Decorus, Bello, Belli, Bella etc were used to describe beauty and handsome but were not ascribed as individual or family names.

Bello, as a name, was introduced by the Muslims to Iberia and from there it spread round the western world. The Fulas spread the same name across West Africa and the Sahara.

You are wrong.

The Bello/Bella used in romance languages (French, Spanish,Italian, Portuguese etc) come from the latin word for Beautiful and has no connecion to fulani or any other African ethnic group.

Besides the pronunciation is different from the Nigerian one which is spelt Bello but sounds like "Baylo'
The European one sounds 'Bello'
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by blarkraimez: 11:09am On Oct 02, 2017
chloride6:

Like I said you all need your heads reexamined.

Your argument is as stupid as saying Lara as in Lara George is the same as Lara Oshiomole.

Some other guys have brought forward a more suitable explanation saying it's has Fulani roots.
Fulani roots....and have you seen any fulani that w as able to tell you the meaning? Either islamically or as their indigenous name?
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by haqun: 12:02pm On Oct 02, 2017
RedboneSmith:

I am sure Usman Dan Fodio did not speak Latin in the 19th century, yet his son was called Muhammadu Bello. Let's agree that the Latin Bello and the Fulani Bello are different words that by coincidence happen to look similar.

You really make sense. And you are on point.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by Mbediogu(m): 12:30pm On Oct 02, 2017
murmee:
You are very wrong. According to a teacher from Ilorin, the original name is Billau. During the colonial time in Nigeria, the White people could not pronounce Billau very well and were saying Beelo instead. That was how the name Bello evolved and was accepted by the people.

Well said but what the man I quoted said tallies with what an Arabian teacher Butu el Mumin bin Rasheed has just told me now. He taught the person who taught the Illorin teacher. Now between us who is wrong? Receive sense, Ameen.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by kjhova(m): 1:08pm On Oct 02, 2017
RussianICBM:

You are wrong.

The Bello/Bella used in romance languages (French, Spanish,Italian, Portuguese etc) come from the latin word for Beautiful and has no connecion to fulani or any other African ethnic group.

Besides the pronunciation is different from the Nigerian one which is spelt Bello but sounds like "Baylo'
The European one sounds 'Bello'

You cannot put out words like "you are wrong" so emphatically unless you wana provide convincing evidence.

You will have to provide evidence that Romance peoples bore Bello as names before the Muslim conquest. As far as I know and have seen in research works, no evidence yet that Latin people bore the name Bello until it was introduced into that culture by the Almoravids.

Like I told you earlier, etymology is always keenly contested indeed as you have contested mine.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by GetMeRight: 1:28pm On Oct 02, 2017
nnokwa042:
igbo word for father is nnam so check around the world what baba means, remember alubosa is borrowed word from arabic
That means Yoruba didn't have word for "father" until Islam was brought to Nigeria. I wonder how Yorubas were referring to their fathers before that. Lol at someone's persistent wrong argument.

Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by chloride6: 1:31pm On Oct 02, 2017
blarkraimez:

Fulani roots....and have you seen any fulani that w as able to tell you the meaning? Either islamically or as their indigenous name?

Check the previous pages ..... Some explanation on how ballo became bello was provided... Not my business though.
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by ojimbo(m): 2:08pm On Oct 02, 2017
Demmzy15:
Some say it's Spanish
i live in italy and it means "Handsome" in italian language
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by nnokwa042(m): 2:45pm On Oct 02, 2017
GetMeRight:

That means Yoruba didn't have word for "father" until Islam was brought to Nigeria. I wonder how Yorubas were referring to their fathers before that. Lol at someone's persistent wrong argument.
so why did yoruba child say iya mi why not mama mi? i want u to check there must name for father in yoruba land check it
Re: Origin Of The Name Bello?! by Demmzy15(m): 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2017
kjhova:

Dear OP,

Thanks, I think this helps!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"Adewale Akanbi Engages In Yahoo Yahoo, Uses Palace As Cover Up" - Oluwo-Oke / My Favorite Urhobo Proverbs! / Queen Damilola Apologizes To Alaafin Of Oyo, Begs Him To Accept Her Back (Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.