Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,927 members, 7,821,246 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

What Is The Meaning Of This Context "Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Meaning Of This Context "Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness" (637 Views)

Understanding The Pathways To Godliness (3) – Bishop David Oyedepo / Is Cleanliness Really Next To Godliness? / Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of This Context "Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness" by Neutral15(m): 10:58pm On Sep 30, 2017
I wanted to advise a dirty friend of mine that loves going to church. In order to backup my advice from the Bible, I decided to google for the verse but couldn't find it. Rather the available information I got confused me the more.
So my questions are;
1. Is this context biblical? "cleanliness is next to Godliness".
2. Where can I find it in the Bible?
3. Does it mean cleanliness of the body and environment or of the mind?

Thank you for your response
Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Context "Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness" by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 01, 2017
Hello Neutral15.

Cleanliness is next to godliness is an everyday phrase used by almost everyone, in which it tends to sound more idiomatic too.

However, cleanliness is next to godliness has really been overused and misunderstood by certain people. How? People say so when you look unkempt or unclean or your surroundings but they fail to recognize that, in spiritual terms, it means taking care of your garment away from stains, spots or blemishes.

That's why, when one prays, it's good if he asks for the blood of the slain lamb or the blood of Jesus Christ to purify his/her garment. Our (spiritual) garment is white and because of sin, it attracts stains and spots. With all these said, I would refer you to Isaiah1:18 and also the part of the book of the prophets that says "rend your heart and not your garment."

In addition, read, thoroughly, the leviticus 15 and try to discern that too. smiley hope this helps!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Meaning Of This Context "Cleanliness Is Next To Godliness" by Nobody: 2:55am On Oct 01, 2017
Actual there are some quotes that are never in the Bible but religious bigots and ignorant people use and there are some quotes in the scripture that are misuse and misunderstood by delusion and greed people

(1) (Reply)

The Torah And The Gospel Wahala Solved / Methodist Church Stops All Weddings Until They Remove Gay Marriage Ban / Benny Hinn Slumps After A Nigerian Sowed $1000000 Into His Ministry(video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.