Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand (2083 Views)

We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out / Saw Dust Vs Wood Shavings / How to make waste wood chips&shavings, scraps into moulded wood pallet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by FMCASH(m): 7:09pm On Oct 01, 2017
Total replacement of wood shavings with sharp sand: due to high demand of wood shavings as bedding material and scarcity in some areas, I will advice farmers that have sharp sand in there locality to use it as bedding material. I've used it in my farm and the birds are doing great. Happy farming!!!
https://m.facebook.com/FeedFormulationHub/?ref=bookmarks like our page for more updates

1 Like

Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by kayo80(m): 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2017
I will have to look for sharp sand too, wood shaven has become so scarce in my area in ibadan. I used to buy a rice sack full for 200 Naira early this year, now i have to beg people to sell same quantity to me for 400 Naira. The big poultry companies always come with trailers/trucks to buy all the wood shaven at Bodija market.

1 Like

Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by FMCASH(m): 7:31pm On Oct 01, 2017
Try sharp sand give us feedback, thanks.
kayo80:
I will have to look for sharp sand too, wood shaven has become so scarce in my area in ibadan. I used to buy a rice sack full for 200 Naira early this year, now i have to beg people to sell same quantity to me for 400 Naira. The big poultry companies always come with trailers/trucks to buy all the wood shaven at Bodija market.

1 Like

Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by FMCASH(m): 7:40pm On Oct 01, 2017
Someone view that might be useful to others

‬: I have read with keen observation to all that's said about wood shavings and sand. Lots of people have tried to cut corners especially when wood shavings is hard to come by. Recently, in a pen capacity of 10,000 broilers, divided into 10 partitions, sharp sand was used in one partition to compensate for the wood shavings which was sufficient to go round. It was good at the beginning giving minimal wetness. And later at 2nd week, the sand was still in good condition, the birds were clean and there was no incidence of cocci or enteritis. At 3rd week however, the birds became dirty and there were little traces of blood (not frank) in their feaces. Not alarming but indicating something subclinical. The cleanliness of the birds reduced seriously as majority of birds became obviously unkept. Meanwhile, a similar observation was made in the other partitions in terms of bloody feaces, but negligible. The birds in partitions with wood shavings were still clean. At 4th week, the bloody feaces disappeared after administering pantacox to cover the birds against most culprit of enteritis and coccidiosis. But there was an obvious need to change the litter material is the partition with sand. The partitions with wood shavings still looked clean and dry. At 5th weeks, I still had to make sure the litter was packed in the partition with sand because of the obviously bad state. At 6th weeks however, the wood shavings were bad and needed immediate change. But then, my production cycle is for 6 weeks so the pen was just emptied. Note that in between, other activities took place that I couldn't state here because of time. From my primary observation, sand can be used to on smaller birds and changed more frequently when the birds are older and as soon as the litter becomes wet, odour becomes offensive, and during and outbreak to control level of contamination in the pen. Personally, I still prefer wood shavings.

A lot of factors should be considered though... Ventilation, stocking density, and water spillage should be closely monitored to avoiding having to change litter materials too frequently. A well managed litter is always more efficient and preferable than changed litter.

Cc: S K
Tofem Whatsapp group

1 Like

Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by farmgate: 8:50pm On Oct 01, 2017
Had tried it sometimes in 2014 when there is scarcity of wood shaving. It caused CRD for my bird. I noticed the dust is the causes of the CRD
Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by FMCASH(m): 5:27pm On Oct 03, 2017
Sharp does not have dusty quality
farmgate:
Had tried it sometimes in 2014 when there is scarcity of wood shaving. It caused CRD for my bird. I noticed the dust is the causes of the CRD
Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by Ogagawhite(f): 9:30am On Oct 05, 2017
This is a feed ebook by STONED FEED PRODUCT. It cover's 27 100% useful page. This ebook is about feed formulation "how to make a Worldwide feed on catfish, broilers, pig, rabbit, pullets,layers,snail easily. As we all knows that feed formulation is one of the widely use feed secret, to get a good return and smiling to the bank and People love farm biz but considering the cost and prizes of feed ND drug make them wanna think back,well, using feed formulation is the best but Freshers always face problems regarding setting up a good formulation (crude protein and inclusion rate) . So this EBook for all those beginners who don't know the concept of setting up good formulation

In this eBook we have the cover the basic question regarding creating a worldwide feed formulation . All the must have protein sources (plant animal and marine) and many other energy source things like setting up some photogenic natural feed additives locally on your farm and much more . You people will love it .

So if you are a fresher and ready to create a feed formulation using my formula then this eBook is just what you require. The write-up of this eBook is very simple and easy to understand. You will love to share this eBook to your friends and other coworkers free or pay
for your information I suffer well well before God bless me with this idea I buy so many eBook because I wanted to grow my farm to more profit but trust 9ja Dem chop my money wella

Call or Whatsapp 08020605880 and change your farm life

Re: Total Replacement Of Wood Shavings With Sharp Sand by gabe: 8:04am On Oct 08, 2017
used it before. you need to change sand more frequently than wood shavings though. I observed coccidiosis in my 2nd batch, which responded to treatment so I had few fatalities . 1st batch was ok, no coccidiosis.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Weeks 2.6kg Broilers For Sale / See What A Hater Did To My Friend's Fishes In His Fidh Farm. / 100 Hectares Of Farmland Need Partnership In Asa Local Government Of Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.