Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,732 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out (32698 Views)

Strange Insects Attack Crops In Kano - Farmers Cry Out, As Food Shortage Looms / Imota Rice Mill Nears Completion, Set To Be The Third Largest In The World / Akwa Ibom Coconut Refinery, Nigeria’s Future Beckons, Nears Completion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Omooba77: 10:21am On Aug 08, 2023
The South West Zone of the Poultry Association of Nigeria (PAN) has urged President Bola Tinubu, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and Governors in the region to rescue the poultry industry from outright collapse.

The Zonal Chairman of PAN, Gideon Oluleye, who made the appeal in Ibadan, Oyo State, said the challenges facing the industry are enormous, noting that farmers are yet to recover from the effect of naira redesign policy.

Oluleye noted that the removal of the fuel subsidy has caused a galloping increase in the cost of inputs in the subsector, which has worsened the plight of farmers in the country.

“Recently some maize was allocated to farmers by the CBN and the Nigeria Commodity Exchange (NCX) market, as part of interventions to bring down the soaring prices of maize in the market. About 40,000 metric tons was allocated at the rate of N220, 000 and N225, 000 per ton to farmers, while the farmers were still trying to negotiate a reduction in the price per tonnage, which they perceive as too high for an intervention programme, the two weeks payment deadline issued by the NCX lapsed.

“Only few farmers and stakeholders could meet the deadline. At the expiration of the deadline, the NCX and the CBN withdrew the allocation. A few states like Oyo, Ekiti and others paid at the brink of the deadline, yet the commodity exchange market went ahead to cancel the allocations. All efforts to convince them to renew the allocation at the initial price given, proved abortive,” he said.

The PAN Chairman disclosed that the marketing strategy to hoard the maize had caused unnecessary scarcity, which had led to high cost of maize in the open market, while revealing that the cost of maize in the Southwest, is currently about N400, 000 – N430, 000 per ton, which is not affordable to farmers.

The chairman lamented that the price of maize, formerly sold between N225, 000 – N230, 000 in the Southwest, now cost about N400, 000 – N430, 000 as a result of hoarding by the NCX.

Gideon, however, advocated for the reduction in the price of soybeans for poultry and livestock sector, while calling on the Federal Government and the CBN to subsidise and grant a short importation for maize and soya beans to bridge the shortfall currently experienced to preserve the sector from collapsing.

“We are appealing to the Federal Government to grant access to capital through the CBN for long term lending and grants to the sector and create structures that will facilitate sales of our products.”

Also speaking, the PAN Chairman, Oyo State chapter, Elder Oyekunle Omidokun, revealed that the Agric sector has contributed an average of 24 per cent to the National Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which has provided job opportunities for millions of Nigerians, while urging the Federal Government to intervene and save the sector from imminent collapse.

He lamented that the high cost of Diesel, Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) and foreign exchange scarcity has affected the cost of vaccines, veterinary drugs, while urging government to release 20,000 metric tonnes of maize to PAN at discounted rate in order to mitigate the challenges facing the industry.

Oyekunle urged the CBN and the NCX to urgently release the maize allocated to the poultry industry.

https://guardian.ng/features/weve-been-choked-poultry-industry-nears-total-collapse-farmers-cry-out/?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Ikaeniyan0: 10:23am On Aug 08, 2023
Tinubu let the poultry industry breathe please

143 Likes 8 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Nobody: 10:28am On Aug 08, 2023
God help us in this country

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by donttouchme: 10:29am On Aug 08, 2023
tinubu govt will favour me crew.

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by WildChild00(m): 10:31am On Aug 08, 2023
Tinubu what is all this....

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by BoldBrainz(m): 10:39am On Aug 08, 2023
Had to shut down my poultry farm two months ago, after losing 80percent of my birds to unfavourable policies that totally eroded my purchasing ability for medications and feed.

Make I rest first abeg. Nigeria no go kill me for my young age!

223 Likes 15 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Wealthoptulent(m): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2023
Hmm. I no go talk wetin dey mind!

Na una sell Chicken last Xmas 15k, took advantage of the country, 1 crate of egg N3,500, una go still sell chicks ooo. Over gain dey worry una

Mom007:

Bro, lemme shock you, even with those prices, their margin of gain is ridiculously low. Them no dey gain anything. That business is a suffer head business and that's just the truth. I think the solution to a lot of Nigeria's problem is that people should just go and farm. Everyone should keep a garden. This our dependence on buy, buy, buy all the time is killing us. Government cannot fix everything. Even if they count raw cash and give everyone, it will end in inflation with plenty money chasing few goods.
Great response bro. Substantial farming is way out to reduce cost. Our people too like extortion, even local chicken wey no dey chow FEED cost past one wey dey take FEEDS, we ourselves' enemies, joined with Government,
Many want the FREE CASH, those asking for 200k minimum wages, the INFLATION wey go kill people ehn, e dey do press up.
Na everyone be salary earner ? Na from market dem go wait that ur new MINIMUM WAGES.

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Daamaaxi(m): 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2023
I swear
Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Lannyjoe4u: 8:55pm On Aug 08, 2023
Wahala. Hand go touch everybody for this government. grin

Shebi una dey vote anyhow, u go see anyhow

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Ofunaofu: 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2023
It has been all doom and gloom since the emergence of Tinubu as president of Nigeria

45 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by goldenceo1: 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2023
This APC government is not for the faint hearted. There’s hunger in the land !

34 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by GanagiBitrus: 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2023
Not only poultry industry, all sectors are choking.
We shouldn't, because of Tribal sentiments, pretend that all is well with the country.

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by empressSkincare(f): 8:56pm On Aug 08, 2023
It is well
Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
Shégé doin round tripping!

if dat illegality is not booted out by d tribunal,
dis yr Xmas chicken go reach #50k!

cool

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by DeltaOil: 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
Nigeria's Economy is collapsing and INEC President Ebola is thinking of war? angry
The war will devastate the already bad economy and finish off the North

When they said Ebola Tinubu na Buhari ProMax, its a prophecy come true.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by ibrutex(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
Chicken self go dey follow drag for our agbado abi?........

Train Dem to be vegetarian and how dey can survive on 1 meal per day , country hard abeg I.....

23 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by tejumorelar: 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
We need to shutdown this country called Nigeria as a matter of urgency

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by gammarays(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
Are you sure I read this correctly?

South West zone lamenting when we're still in Genesis 🙄🙄

How come the South West are feeling the negative impact of this Balablue regime more than other regions?

Mandate and favor my family people are reaping the fruits of their wickedness in full.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Gentlelox: 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
Nigeria and her problems sha
Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by bestman09(m): 8:57pm On Aug 08, 2023
The situation is an emergency situation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by justking(m): 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
Choke

I have a proven strategy you can implement to sell out all your products through Facebook and Instagram Ads. If interested message me for more information.
Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by MichaelSokoto(m): 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
tejumorelar:
We need to shutdown this country called Nigeria as a matter of urgency
after election tribunal judgement pls!
cool

4 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by 0taPiaPia(m): 8:58pm On Aug 08, 2023
It has collapsed already. Checked the current price of production vs profit to be made and I pitied poultry farmers.. how would you invest millions in a business and be getting thousands for an extended period undecided

12 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Ewedegubbler: 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2023
This poultry industry wahala must favor me and all o renewed shege ronuists

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Savedday2: 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2023
What evening newspaper need is vibrators not a child.

All 9ja guys should avoid any evening newspaper because they are all out to hook you with pregnancy.

E no go better for any evening newspaper wey go try to near where I dey

9 Likes

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by YoungLionken(m): 8:59pm On Aug 08, 2023
BAT is not just a mess but also a curse sad!!

The people who predicted him to be Buhari promax were right after all..

He will surely be disgraced from office angry!!!

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We’ve Been Choked, Poultry Industry Nears Total Collapse, Farmers Cry Out by Ashez: 9:00pm On Aug 08, 2023
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Hidden Profit In Egusi (melon) Business / Calachika: Inside Cross River Ultramodern Poultry (Photos) / See The Agricultural Products China Leads The World In Producing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.