Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

*stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* (1311 Views)

Problems Of Teaching Practical Biology In Senior Secondary Schools / Assessing The Students Performance In Chemistry In Senior Secondary School / If I Had My Way, Students Would Stop Writing Examinations – Adeosun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by superstr: 10:34am On Oct 02, 2017
Any time I go to class to teach students at my PPA as a corp member, I always feel that something is wrong with writing school notes in class for so many reasons that affect teachers and students in the process.

Why must student write "school note" instead of jotting? I always ask myself this question everyday. And most of the time, I didn't come up with reasonable answers for them to do
so.Despite my prejudice, I forced myself to raise some answers for and against.

An experienced teacher, unlike me, would say it makes reading materials available to them since many of them cannot buy textbooks in this country due to poverty and some other factors. Um!

Some may claim that it helps parents ,guiders and teachers to monitor students' behavior, efficiency and seriousness in schools.Yes! When you check their notes, you can easily know the last time they go to school or write notes and as good parents, teachers or guiders; one would realize that something is needed to be done about such a student.

Wow!Fantastic reasons! I am sure experienced teachers would still have so many reasons an inexperienced teacher like me can't think of. One can then conclude that, there are so many reasons -- economically, psychologically, professionally or whatever -- for them to write "school notes".

Thanks or no thanks, I am not convinced! Those reasons are not sufficient to accept the disadvantages that come with it.

Learning is personal in most cases! It is not easy to teach a student when he/she is not ready and willing to learn.Their willingness and readiness are the first things to work on. Even in most things, willingness and readiness are the crucial factors to excellence. How then will writing notes or notes be
useful to a student that is not ready and willing to learn whatsoever? Writing notes in schools makes it difficult for teachers to inspire students to have reasons to learn.

Most schools give 45 minute per period.Within the period, a teacher can either explain or write note or both. Whichever method above such teacher chooses gives him/her a limit to demonstrate the subject or topic in such a way to inspire
students to pick books to read. The first purpose is to inspire students to learn.

How do you expect students to concentrate when they have notes to copy? It is very common for students to write notes while teachers explain.As a result, they don't always get the explanation very well from the teacher concerned.

Writing notes in class and its attendant lesson notes influence weak or non-brilliant teachers not to prepare for classes. It is
tempting to feel comfortable when you have not prepared for classes because all you need to do is to open you lesson note to do a progressive "copy and paste".Let's face it! Such and such forces teachers that might have tried to improve to remain the same.It goes without saying that writing notes in school is one of the things that make students to be tired or make them hate going to school. Students have to use energy to write about five to seven different notes everyday. Each of the notes covers at least 45 minutes. What the heck! That is too tedious for students.

Some of us who did run out of class in secondary school will probably say that writing school notes was the core source of our lack of seriousness.

Many teachers would claim that students of nowadays are not serious but they have never taken time to check if their methods are contributing factors. Many teachers are no longer conducting research since the lesson note is seen as sufficient. Though every system can be influenced negatively but stopping coping notes will allow students to focus more on what really matters, which is learning; and teachers would be able to concentrate on demonstrations and explanations instead of copying notes.

Instead of wasting students energy on writing notes, why don't we think of another way to let them focus on learning in a cheap or even cheaper way compared to the present system.

There is an obvious way out, some are using it already, and it is very cheap. The only problem is our attitude towards positive change.First, stop writing schools note mentality
and any thing connected to it. Instead of using about seven to ten note books which cost a reasonable amount of money, why don't students just have a big note book as a jotter for noting important things mentioned by their teachers.The move
would enable students to concentrate in class.

What then will students read at home? Students should be given printed materials as school notes at beginning of every term. Students can use such to prepare before teachers come to class. This measure may encourage "read before class" attitude among students. It is arguable that such material is cheap for poor students who can't afford buying textbooks.

Oh! Don't you think giving students printed materials would affect their handwriting? No, it wouldn't.

With these measures, teachers will have sufficient time to conduct test from time to time to monitor the progress of their learning. Therefore, students will improve their handwriting by jotting and writing various "in-class" tests.As it is not possible to write everything about this matter, it is time to end this write-up to give you a chance to think about everything to criticize or
contribute some favourable reasons.

Thanks for reading.

Feel free to share this.

By Ogundiran Ayobami..

2 Likes

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by whitebeard(m): 10:37am On Oct 02, 2017
Good insight into the future op..respect..

1 Like

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by oz4real83(m): 10:49am On Oct 02, 2017
I thought I was the only person having this feeling. All the notes I gave my students during my PPA came from my head!!! I taught SS2 and SS3. I can't teach the same topic twice and give the same note but the idea will be the same!. I wonder why a teacher who has taught the same subject for the past 15years will be using the same notes! This is very common in most Nigerian schools. I am not against having a lesson plan but it should have a creative face.Education needs to be overhauled in this country. Most teachers we have were not able to make the cut-off marks during jamb. Let our best students be deployed to the education sector. Govt should make teaching attractive like multi-national companies.

1 Like

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by DesChyko: 10:56am On Oct 02, 2017
A teacher is expected to be a custodian of knowledge. If he spends most of his time assessing his students via tests, when then would he make himself a real custodian by updating his knowledge database on a regular? Bear in mind that a students' performance in tests/exams is not the perfect marker of the students' knowledge on the subject matter as there are many other factors which may boost or distort their performance.
There also comes the idea of basic knowledge. Students are meant to have a basic knowledge of most of what they are being taught. Notes are meant to provide this basic knowledge while the students' private endeavours are to reinforce this knowledge and build upon it.
The weekend assignments, especially in theory subjects are meant to give students their first exposure to a new topic. This is their own study of a topic before the teacher teaches it, so that what they actually get in class is corrections of their responses, in addition to a foundation to build upon.
When students write notes, they read as well. That is the first time they are reading, hence the tendency for questions to arise while they write. With so much distractions outside it, the classroom provides the best environment for school work.
Time management and students' management is a teacher's call. There are many methods of approaching theory subjects other than taking notes. Pre-informed Quizzes, field trips and switching teaching strategies help diversify the learning process so that one way or the other, the students catch up. The method to use depends on the teacher's perception of the students' mood and occasionally, the students' opinions.

1 Like

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by oz4real83(m): 11:10am On Oct 02, 2017
As a teacher you won't use note when u know what u are teaching. Most teachers in Nigeria can't teach without notes and that is why education is at the lowest in this country!
Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by superstr: 11:12am On Oct 02, 2017
DesChyko:
A teacher is expected to be a custodian of knowledge. If he spends most of his time assessing his students via tests, when then would he make himself a real custodian by updating his knowledge database on a regular? Bear in mind that a students' performance in tests/exams is not the perfect marker of the students' knowledge on the subject matter as there are many other factors which may boost or distort their performance.
There also comes the idea of basic knowledge. Students are meant to have a basic knowledge of most of what they are being taught. Notes are meant to provide this basic knowledge while the students' private endeavours are to reinforce this knowledge and build upon it.
The weekend assignments, especially in theory subjects are meant to give students their first exposure to a new topic. This is their own study of a topic before the teacher teaches it, so that what they actually get in class is corrections of their responses, in addition to a foundation to build upon.
When students write notes, they read as well. That is the first time they are reading, hence the tendency for questions to arise while they write. With so much distractions outside it, the classroom provides the best environment for school work.
Time management and students' management is a teacher's call. There are many methods of approaching theory subjects other than taking notes. Pre-informed Quizzes, field trips and switching teaching strategies help diversify the learning process so that one way or the other, the students catch up. The method to use depends on the teacher's perception of the students' mood and occasionally, the students' opinions.

You really pointed out undeniable points but wouldn't it be better if all those quizzes , assignments, teachers' explanation and summary are included in a printed material? I also agree that class is one of the best place to learn, yet my concern is that time and energy that should be used on reading, learning and other things are mostly wasted on copying school notes. I don't think copying school notes is necessary as long as there is a printed material that contains teachers' explanations, summary, tutorial questions, quizzes, and other things... Such divert students' time and energy to really learning.
Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by superstr: 11:14am On Oct 02, 2017
DesChyko:

You really pointed out undeniable points but wouldn't it be better if all those quizzes , assignments, teachers' explanation and summary are included in a printed material? I also agree that class is one of the best places to learn, yet my concern is that time and energy that should be used on reading, learning and other things are mostly wasted on copying school notes that most students don't read eventually. I don't think copying school notes is necessary as long as there is a printed material that contains teachers' explanations, summary, tutorial questions, quizzes, and other things... Such will divert students' attention, time and energy to real learning.
Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by bkool7(m): 11:15am On Oct 02, 2017
Permit me to disagree with this write-up.
Firstly,( no pun intended) you dont seem like a trained or experienced teacher.
During my Teaching Practice, an older teacher once asked why they should always write Lesson notes. Every other teachers boost into laughter. Obviously because thats question sound foolish coming from a supposedly experienced teacher. It is called Lesson Plan. The act of teaching is a serious and delicate process, you cant just delve into a lesson without a roadmap (plan). Even when you have a leason plan smart students sometimes throw curves at you talk more of when you dont. The lesson plan is a requisite for every lesson. Apart that its protocol, it saves time and makes the lesson more precise and effective.

The notes that students copy on the board is meant to be a summary of the topic. I have often argued against volumous notes. Since every subject has a Textbook students in Secondary can always refer to the textbook for further reading.
I dont know the method you've experienced but every subjects have two periods per week except English and Mathematics that should have more. You can use the first period to write the note and use the second for explanation and practicals .
Some of the benefits of copying notes outweighs the benefit you mentioned.
Copying notes :
-Improves handwriting
-Improves reading skills
-Imprives spelling skills
-It gives student summary topics to study instead of reading the volumous textbooks . However, a smart student should also read the textbook to have a wider knowledge of the subject.
Students are careless, if you just give them printouts, if they lose it before exam, do you print another one, at whose cost? Notes are easier to keep than printouts.
But if they lost their note , you can ask them to copy from their friends.

2 Likes

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by superstr: 11:29am On Oct 02, 2017
bkool7:
Permit me to dissagree with this write-up.
Firstly,( no pun intended) you dont seem like a trained or experienced teacher.
During my Teaching Practice, an older teacher once asked why they should always write Lesson notes. Every other teachers boost into laughter. Obviously because thats question sound foolish coming from a supposedly experienced teacher. It is called Lesson Plan. The act of teaching is a serious and delicate process, you cant just delve into a lesson without a roadmap (plan). Even when you have a leason plan smart students sometimes throw curves at you talk more of when you dont. The lesson plan is a requisite for every lesson. Apart that its protocol, it saves time and makes the lesson more precise and effective.

The notes that students copy on the board is meant to be a summary of the topic. I have often argued against volumous notes. Since every subject has a Textbook students in Secondary can always refer to the textbook for further reading.
I dont know the method you've experienced but every subjects have two periods per week except English and Mathematics that should have more. You can use the first period to write the note and use the second for explanation and practicals .
Some of the benefits of copying notes outweighs the benefit you mentioned.
Copying notes :
-Improves handwriting
-Improves reading skills
-Imprives spelling skills
-It gives student summary topics to study instead of reading the volumous textbooks . However, a smart student should also read the textbook to have a wider knowledge of the subject.
Students are careless, if you just give them printouts, if they lose it before exam, do you print another one, at whose cost? Notes are easier to keep than printouts.
But if they lost their note , you can ask them to copy from their friends.

Thanks for disagreeing with me. I am not claiming that teachers should not write lesson plan, yet it should be flexible. When I said printed materials, i mean a guide that contains teachers' explanations, tutorial questions, quizzes, summary and the rest. So that clears you point on voluminous textbook. Students can buy textbooks if they can afford it. Won't you plan the lesson before you design a printed and scrutinized material? On handwriting, as I have said, teachers will have more time to test students and students will still jot in classes... That will help their handwriting and spelling skills.

You mentioned two periods, what do you want to explain in a period compared to having chance to use both periods.

Above all, the time and energy students waste in class to copy notes, can be used on reading or learning generally.

1 Like

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by bkool7(m): 11:43am On Oct 02, 2017
superstr:

Thanks for disagreeing with me. I am not claiming that teachers should not write lesson plan, yet it should be flexible. When I said printed materials, i mean a guide that contains teachers' explanations, tutorial questions, quizzes, summary and the rest. So that clears you point on voluminous textbook. Students can buy textbooks if they can afford it. Won't you plan the lesson before you design a printed and scrutinized material? On handwriting, as I have said, teachers will have more time to test students and students will still jot in classes... That will help their handwriting and spelling skills.

You mentioned two periods, what do you want to explain in a period compared to having chance to use both periods.

Above all, the time and energy students waste in class to copy notes, can be used on reading or learning generally.

So you want the teacher to draw a lesson plan and also draft a printout on every topic for every period?

I think 45 mins is enough time to explain a topic. You' re explaining a topic not the subject

Your only reason against note copying is because you feel student waste time copying notes. How can you call it "time wasting" doing what is helpful to you?

You forgot that while they copy they also read.

The printout to me is extral work for teachers and its irrelevant when you have the lesson plan and textbook

1 Like

Re: *stop Writing "School Notes" In Senior Secondary Schools.* by superstr: 11:59am On Oct 02, 2017
bkool7:

So you want the teacher to draw a lesson plan and also draft a printout on every topic for every period?

I think 45 mins is enough time to explain a topic. You' re explaining a topic not the subject

Your only reason against note copying is because you feel student waste time copying notes. How can you call it "time wasting" doing what is helpful to you?

You forgot that while they copy they also read.

The printout to me is extral work for teachers and its irrelevant when you have the lesson plan and textbook

If you read this write-up completely, at a point I mentioned that a printed material should be given to students at the beginning of every term. You said they always read why writing, yet why is that many students still don't remember anything about the topic when you ask questions late? It is not helpful compared to what can be achieve if they use the 45mins and energy involved to read instead of copying notes.

The printed material is not irrelevant since students already have the notes they would worry to write. So, they will concentrate in class. And at the same time, it gives teachers to go further, explain very well, demonstrate, give related examples and more. Students would have had access to teachers tutorial questions and look for more questions to ask from such teachers. That will go a long way to supercharge students and teachers efficiency. Thanks for your time.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Mock: Important Things To Observe During The Exam / Study In Canada: Tuition As Low As $1500 / UNILAG Introduces Online Lectures Without Data Subscription?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.