Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Quick Tips For Jamb English Questions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Quick Tips For Jamb English Questions (2095 Views)

Jambites See The 40 English Questions That Came Out For Today's UTME / Full List Of Characters In Sweet Sixteen (JAMB English Novel) / Full List of Characters in Sweet Sixteen (JAMB English Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Quick Tips For Jamb English Questions by Vanmatrix(m): 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2017
Just a little FYI for your examination.

Here are some quick tips you should have in mind when you are about to write your Jamb English paper.

Gerunds (-ing verbs)

1. Occur as subject/object of a verb
E.g.

1. Playing lawn tennis was one of his hobby.
2. The doctor advised him to stop
smoking.
3. Eating regularly keeps you healthy.
2. Preceded by possessive adjective (my, his, her) or possessive noun.
1. I didn't understand his behaving like that.
2. Please excuse my going to bed.
3. Prevent and Stop + Object + Gerund
1. I prevented him from going.
4. Make and Had better without to
1. The man made John confess.
2. I thought I'd warn you.
Emphatic Stress
In emphatic stress, the answer is usually the option without the stress word (word in caps) .

E.g.

Lambusa TOOK OFF the wig.

(a) did Lambusa take of the wig?

(b) who took off the wig?

(c) what did Lambusa do.

Ans= C (without take/took off).
Use of Apostophe [']

['s] is added to:

1. Singular noun, (boy's car).

2. Last part of compound/group names (brothers-in-law's, mother-in-law's, May & Baker's, new year's day).

3. Plural nouns that don't end with (s) (children's clinic, women's talk).

4. Possessive indefinite pronons (one's, somebody else's, someone else's).

5. Noun that end in (s) e.g. Charles's, Jos's, James's - except ancient names - Jesus', Moses' Achimedes'.

6. Only ['] for plural words (boys' cars). It's wrong to add apostrophe in yours, his, hers, ours, theirs.

1. That car of his (not that his car) ,

2. This land is theirs (not this land is theirs')

3. yours faithfully.
Use Of "On"
For bed - relaxing, time - exact (right on time), flat surface, transport, slap-face.
Use Of "In"
enclosed place, large/popular city, clothes on, slap - metaphor, time - early/a bit late, bed - asleep, arm chairs, gunshot/head, begining / end of story.
Use Of "At"
place seen as point of target/meeting, when a place is not final destination, specific time, small city or place in a big city, night - regular action, precided at, villages, outskirts & satelite houses.
Concord

1. Collective nouns (congregation) & Plural words like any, everybody, each, everything, everyone takes singular verbs. E.g Everybody (is) here.

2. Subjects joined with (and) takes plural verbs except food and units of currencies which takes singular verbs.
the man & his wife (are) here.
rice and stew (is) sweet.

3. When joined by (or), it is determined by the subject after (or).
The boys or the girl (is) to blame.
The girl or the boys (are) to blame.
Verbs of phrases such as "with, as well as, together with, in addition to, in company of, etc" is determined by the first subject.

E.g. The man with his wife (is) present.

Subjunctive
it is about time, it's high time, as if, i wish, it's time, i'd rather, if only, suppose - uses past tense for present & future actions but past perfect tense for past actions. (1) It's high time we (left) here. (2) her mother said, "i would rather you (cooked) the food. When (to) is added to subjunctive, it remains in present tense.
Sentence Detachment
Sentences are detached by removing relative pronouns (who, whom, that, whose, which) & the words before the gap if the relative pronouns appear after the gap.

E.g.

1. It was __ who fought the civil war [they/them/theirs]. When who and It was is removed. We have: (They) fought the civil war.

2. You who__ convicted should appear. [are/is/was] When who is removed. We have: You (are) convicted.
Sentences Order
Use DO-SI-SHA-CPOMN-DEH
DO - Determiners
SI - Size
SHA - Shape
C - Color
P - Participle
O - Origin
M - Material
N - noun adjective
DE - Denominal
H - Head

Syllabic Stress
Di(2)syllabic Nouns - stressed at First syllable. (IMport)
Disyllabic Verbs - stressed at last (2nd) syllable. (imPORT)
Disyllabic words ending with 2 or more consonants are stressed at 2nd syllable. (resPECT).

Disyllabic words with long vowels or diphthong at the 2nd syllable are stressed at the 2nd syllable. (reMARK, misLEAD)
Schwa vowel/ə/ is never stressed. Disyllabic words starting with schwa are stressed at last syllable (adVICE,aBOVE) & vice versa. Thus disyllabic words ending with schwa (ter, tor, ger, ler, mer, per, ber, zor, vor, yer) are stressed at first syllable (BIGger, DREAmer).
Poly(more than 2)syllabic words ending with (tal, tic,ion,ian) are stressed at 2nd syllable counting from the ending. (EduCAtion).
Polysyllabic words ending with (ate, ity, ify, phy, logy, gamy, tany, cal, nal, tomy, ive, ey, ry) are stressed at the 3rd syllable from the end. (producTIvity, geoLOgical,PROmigate, deMOcracy).
That's all for Syllabic stress.

Wish you success. Now go crush that exam.

source:
http://www.mxentertainment.com.ng/2017/10/quick-tips-jamb-english.html?m=1

cc: lalasticlala
_Semid4lyfe
_Obinoscopy
_Mukina2

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Best Engineering Courses To Study In Nigeria 2018 / We Will Not Accept Hijabs In Our Christian Schools~ Kwara Ministry Of Edu. / Themes In The Life Changer By Khadija Abubakar Jalli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.