Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,303 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Is TSTV A Fraud? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is TSTV A Fraud? (2159 Views)

TSTV Is Back! Here Is TSTV Sassy Decoder Price And Sales Date / Where Is TSTV? / Where Is TSTV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is TSTV A Fraud? by neyop85(m): 9:08am On Oct 05, 2017
Copied

By Obiora Egwuatu

TSTV MAY BE A FRAUD.
I promoted Tstv and was hoping that it could challenge DStv. It was launched in Abuja few days ago.
Read this:

Is TSTV A Fraud?

Another MMM Scam. Everybody beware.

These TSTV guys are actually reckless. I am really surprised that they brought the minister into this.
I believe that this is another MMM. Buyers beware. This is based on the following:
1. Bein sports acquired the EPL, Champions League and Laliga only for MENA (Middle East and North Africa). They do not have the right for Nigeria. DSTV owns the rights for Nigeria till 2019. You cannot give what you do not have. When a new service is launched, you have to wait for the next bidding round to have a shot at acquiring the rights. You cannot jump in the middle and start showing it. Things are not done that way in the PayTV world.

A lot of channels listed like CNN, National Geographic, Discovery etc were acquired by DSTV on an exclusive basis for DTH in sub-saharan Africa by DSTV. Channels like Star Movies, MBC2, etc are only cleared for middle east and Asia. I really doubt that they have the rights to those channels. They may show it for one or two months before they are asked to take them off air.

I check with a content aggregator on the cost per subscriber for these channels, assuming they can buy the rights, it came out the about 23 USD per month. That is excluding the sports channels. Based on today's naira exchange rate of 365 naira to a dollar, the cost is 8,395 Naira per subscriber. The content owners globally charge per month for their content. They do not charge per week or part of the month. The content owners dictate the terms. Nobody can pay 8395 Naira and charge 3000 Naira. Not possible.

The cost of decoder package is as follows - decoder 25 USD, smartcard 4 USD, dish is 5 USD. Total is 34 USD (12410 naira). If we add shipping and clearing, you can get 15,000 Naira. To charge 5000 Naira for the package, you will need a lot of cheap money from bank to fund the decoder purchase. Buying 15,000 and selling 5000 sounds interesting to me.

To do internet via satellite, you need VSAT equipment which is expensive compared to the dish/lnb you need to receive dstv. Minimum cost of vsat equipment should be not less than 50,000 Naira. If you use the traditional dish equipment, you can only receive. You cannot do internet with it. Unless TSTV will supply you 40,000 Naira vsat equipment for 5000 Naira.

I went to lyngsat and checked the ABS 3A satellite, I did not see any information about any TSTV channels. Lyngsat is the database of all channels currently on satellite.

When you launch a new DTH platform, you start with a test transmission. This allows you to work through some issues that might come up. It also gives people chance to see some of your channels to make sure they are real before committing their money. There is no test transmission from TSTV.

In conclusion, people should ask enough questions before investing their hard earned money. If it is too good to be true, it's probably is. Let this not be another MMM". Pls look before you leap.

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by TiptopD(m): 9:22am On Oct 05, 2017
Hmmm. Observance Ministry
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by kcy(m): 9:24am On Oct 05, 2017
op are u a scammer

1 Like

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by BiafranBushBoy: 9:44am On Oct 05, 2017
Dstv agents @ work!!
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by Elxandre(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2017
Interesting observations.

Forget the decoder cost though.

How much did you buy your MTN sim, and how much have you spent on it?
They'll always make the money back from subscription cost.
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by neyop85(m): 10:52am On Oct 05, 2017
Elxandre:
Interesting observations.

Forget the decoder cost though.

How much did you buy your MTN sim, and how much have you spent on it?
They'll always make the money back from subscription cost.

In an already saturated market? Bear in mind, Dstv will not be sleeping, they will surely bring in something new and will hold on to as much customers as they can. It will be interesting to see how subscriptions will bridge the huge deficit.
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by 5ifty(m): 11:30am On Oct 05, 2017
Comments seem legit. Does any other expert care to elaborate; either to back up or dispute the claims.
neyop85:
Copied

By Obiora Egwuatu

TSTV MAY BE A FRAUD.
I promoted Tstv and was hoping that it could challenge DStv. It was launched in Abuja few days ago.
Read this:

Is TSTV A Fraud?

These TSTV guys are actually reckless. I am really surprised that they brought the minister into this.
I believe that this is another MMM. Buyers beware. This is based on the following:
1. Bein sports acquired the EPL, Champions League and Laliga only for MENA (Middle East and North Africa). They do not have the right for Nigeria. DSTV owns the rights for Nigeria till 2019. You cannot give what you do not have. When a new service is launched, you have to wait for the next bidding round to have a shot at acquiring the rights. You cannot jump in the middle and start showing it. Things are not done that way in the PayTV world.

A lot of channels listed like CNN, National Geographic, Discovery etc were acquired by DSTV on an exclusive basis for DTH in sub-saharan Africa by DSTV. Channels like Star Movies, MBC2, etc are only cleared for middle east and Asia. I really doubt that they have the rights to those channels. They may show it for one or two months before they are asked to take them off air.

I check with a content aggregator on the cost per subscriber for these channels, assuming they can buy the rights, it came out the about 23 USD per month. That is excluding the sports channels. Based on today's naira exchange rate of 365 naira to a dollar, the cost is 8,395 Naira per subscriber. The content owners globally charge per month for their content. They do not charge per week or part of the month. The content owners dictate the terms. Nobody can pay 8395 Naira and charge 3000 Naira. Not possible.

The cost of decoder package is as follows - decoder 25 USD, smartcard 4 USD, dish is 5 USD. Total is 34 USD (12410 naira). If we add shipping and clearing, you can get 15,000 Naira. To charge 5000 Naira for the package, you will need a lot of cheap money from bank to fund the decoder purchase. Buying 15,000 and selling 5000 sounds interesting to me.

To do internet via satellite, you need VSAT equipment which is expensive compared to the dish/lnb you need to receive dstv. Minimum cost of vsat equipment should be not less than 50,000 Naira. If you use the traditional dish equipment, you can only receive. You cannot do internet with it. Unless TSTV will supply you 40,000 Naira vsat equipment for 5000 Naira.

I went to lyngsat and checked the ABS 3A satellite, I did not see any information about any TSTV channels. Lyngsat is the database of all channels currently on satellite.

When you launch a new DTH platform, you start with a test transmission. This allows you to work through some issues that might come up. It also gives people chance to see some of your channels to make sure they are real before committing their money. There is no test transmission from TSTV.

In conclusion, people should ask enough questions before investing their hard earned money. If it is too good to be true, it's probably is. Let this not be another MMM". Pls look before you leap.

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by neyop85(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2017
Seun, Lalasticlala and the rest of the mods will never push to front page. I’m starting to think TSTV has paid for advert or something. I only see pro TSTV news making front page.
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:02pm On Oct 05, 2017
neyop85:
Copied

By Obiora Egwuatu

TSTV MAY BE A FRAUD.
Read this:

Is TSTV A Fraud?

[quote author=neyop85 post=61122636]

err, ok.

Please post a copy of the 'rights agreement'. or are you saying this based on what you have heard people say or think DStv announce?

have you fact - checked this claim? if so, how?

Do you also know how the rights issue work?Please point us to information

because for instance, Canal+ shows EPL in french speaking countries in Sub-saharan Africa. BeIN also shows in Arabic speaking countries in Africa.

install Live Soccer TV app on android and check TV listings for premier league matches, or go to liveonsat dot com and check tv listings

is is possible they intend to broadcast it in those languages ?

neyop85:

Lol.

MBC is available for FREE on Eutelsat w3a 7.0E, 26E and Nilesat 7W.

Ask on the FTA section

CNN is available on those, and also on Kwese package on Eutelsat 7B, SES 4 Africa, and even BADR 5 for MENA which many FTA users track and use in Nigeria and Africa

Discovery, Nat Geo, Star Movies etc are available on Zuku Package. a tanzanian sat tv provider. see here: http://www.zuku.co.ke/entertainment/channels

Where is this exclusive rights that DStv has and why have they not been writing these people to challenge and enforce it?

Ordinary Metrodigital and CTL that they can shut down in 1 hr are showing these things, but you people are so sure about the rights agreement of DStv

Most Sat TV agreements are confidential because the pricing is always selective. so i'm not sure how the details of DSTV's agreements are public knowledge in Nigeria that you all claim to know, yet no proof.

neyop85:

Which 'content aggregator' is that? we need to start bringing verifiable proof for these things.

Give us a link to these prices.

why do you believe you need an aggregator when there are direct satellite feeds for you to connect and link up the stations?

You don't sound like you know much about satellite TV. What do you think those >5 Meter dishes scattered around their offices are for?

which aggregator does Champion TV Ghana or even DSTV use for example?

neyop85:

How did you assume that the decoder you checked is the one they intend to use?

why do you assume that it will use a smart card.

This is an example of a decoder that works like what TSTV propose, incidentally its also called TSTV in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc88Z8RR6gg

as you can see, there is no sign of a smart card interface and it rather uses a online login number/pin system.

IT IS NOT WHAT TSTVAFRICA want to use, as far as i know, but im showing you so that you can see that its not only smartcard technology that is possible

Secondly, did you check Alibaba for wholesale prices of decoders from China? I'm sure you did not. if you did you will see hybrid decoders wholesale price for about $20 and anyone who goes to shenzhen for products will tell you that depending on your order size you will get even lower prices than on Alibaba online.

see this link: https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/android-iptv-decoder.html

Do you know that latest strong decoders retail for around 10k? single unit, after import, shipping, profit added about 5 times by each person it passed through. how much do you think it would cost from the factory that makes them directly in bulk?

neyop85:

Appears you are not aware that DStv used to offer this internet service here in Nigeria before they moved to 36B for better footprint and signal in Nigeria.

Its the modem thats the sole difference from any other setup.

The modem in a Samsung Flagship thats less than 2inch in size is far better than the modems of 10 years ago. so why do you assume the decoder does not have a modem capable of this?

funny thing is the images being circulated that the decoder looks like looks more like a router/modem than a decoder sef

neyop85:

This is true.

But lyngsat is not automatic. it requires the satellite feed providers to submit their offerings to it for listing. Considering they haven't started broadcasting, and appear to be very disorganized and unprepared it is understandable why

neyop85:

And when did they make this rule?

again, they haven't started broadcasting so........

meanwhile, i assume you have tracked AB3 W and not found a feed active?

neyop85:

This is the part i don't get.

Have you given them a dime? have you paid for a month's broadcast without getting anything in return?

so how is it a scam?

and going by your definition of a scam, it would then mean that HiTV and Daarsat amongst many others were scams?

It goes without saying that satellite TV is not a necessity, neither is there compulsion.

thankfully theres PLENTY of choices apart from the scam, so why not calm down and let people decide.

ironically you used MMM as example. but i'm sure you remember that it was also a matter of choice, and participants went for it on their own.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by Ristamike: 4:38am On Oct 06, 2017
Any DSTV fan posting out of ignorance. Isn't there many threads of this nature in this forum already?
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by aphamefuna(m): 9:33pm On Oct 06, 2017
neyop85:
Copied

By Obiora Egwuatu

TSTV MAY BE A FRAUD.
Read this:

Is TSTV A Fraud?

TSTV Has come to stay... just wait and see the new innovation in pay tv

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 06, 2017
Bad belle everywhere.

1 Like

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by neyop85(m): 11:18pm On Oct 06, 2017
[quote author=4llerbuntu post=61135130][/quote]

Ha!!! U TSTV guys have finally found a loop hole in the contract. So u intend broadcasting in Arabic, u claiming Dstv owns English rights while u own Arabic? Well, I’m sure this will be taken straight to the original owners (sky sports) Dstv wouldn’t accept it. I’m very sure, no wonder u guys ain’t selling yet.

1 Like

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by signz: 10:04am On Oct 07, 2017
Some one on Twitter said that Amazon Firestick is better than TSTV. Prior to that I've never heard of Firestick.

Can the Firestick work in Nigeria?
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:05pm On Oct 07, 2017
neyop85:

Ha!!! U TSTV guys have finally found a loop hole in the contract. So u intend broadcasting in Arabic, u claiming Dstv owns English rights while u own Arabic? Well, I’m sure this will be taken straight to the original owners (sky sports) Dstv wouldn’t accept it. I’m very sure, no wonder u guys ain’t selling yet.

Which one is "you guys"?

Lmfao. Oga, I don't work for TSTV, neither am I marketing for them

But it seems you are admitting to working for DStv with this angle of talk. Please are you a shareholder or its your family business?

Please are you going to pay for anyone's TSTV decoder, perhaps that's why you are so upset?

If its not your money I'm going to use to buy, why cry more than the bereaved? You love me like Jesus so you don't want me to be waste my money?

Has it even occurred to you that some of us are actually interested in the decoder and not the service?

1 Like

Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2017
signz:
Some one on Twitter said that Amazon Firestick is better than TSTV. Prior to that I've never heard of Firestick.

If you have RELIABLE and plenty 4G data, yes.

Its like an Android TV box. That's what some of us have been using for years
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by Blue3k(m): 12:53pm On Oct 07, 2017
signz:

If you gave good wifI. Then download kodi app
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by signz: 2:08pm On Oct 08, 2017
Blue3k:

If you gave good wifI. Then download kodi app

Okay. .. thanks
Re: Is TSTV A Fraud? by neyop85(m): 8:43am On Oct 10, 2017
4llerbuntu:

Which one is "you guys"?

Lmfao. Oga, I don't work for TSTV, neither am I marketing for them

But it seems you are admitting to working for DStv with this angle of talk. Please are you a shareholder or its your family business?

Please are you going to pay for anyone's TSTV decoder, perhaps that's why you are so upset?

If its not your money I'm going to use to buy, why cry more than the bereaved? You love me like Jesus so you don't want me to be waste my money?

Has it even occurred to you that some of us are actually interested in the decoder and not the service?

No one is stopping anybody from buying ur TSTV Mr.Tstv marketing manager.

Even if I am a staff of Dstv, I’ll be happy TSTV is coming into the market cos it will secure my job even further.

Start selling, enough of the social media hype.

(1) (Reply)

OMG! Money Heist Part 3 Made Me Sober At The End, I Need Part 4 Now / Obsessed Starring Beyonce Knowles And Briton- Idris Elba / Movielanders, Come In Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.