Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,879 members, 7,813,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. (687 Views)

A Call For Mass Recruitment Of Gospel Writers / Interesting How Atheists Believe In Non-existent Civilisations But.. / Why Don't Pastors Preach About PAUPER'S TITHE As Prescribed By Scriptures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by planetzoom: 12:34pm On Oct 05, 2017
I have been left wondering why there are a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible. One of such as these is even alarming and confusing.
i was going through the gospels recently and i found the portions that purpotedly referred to the old testament,only to find out its not in the old testament

John 7:38. ''if anyone believes,as the scripture saith,out of his belly shall flow rivers of living waters''

Mathew 2:23''and he came and dwelt in Nazareth,that it may be fulfilled what was written by the prophets,he shall be called a nazarene'' (referring to Jesus)

i have painstakingly gone through the law and the prophets,both the torah,major and minor prophets. but i couldnt find these quotations anywhere. Can someone please explain or refer me elsewhere.could there be a typo mistake or what.please am confused.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by sonmvayina(m): 1:01pm On Oct 05, 2017
The new testament is not a continuation of the old testament, they are two different scriptures for 2 different religions....

The old testament is for Judaism, the romans stole it and used it as a foundation for their bull shit story about a dying man-god ...

They added it at the end of the Tanak, which is the Jewish scripture and called it the old testament...

That's why there is so much conflict between the 2..The God of the old testament is responsible for everything(both good and evil) while the god in the new testament is only for good things as the devil was now made a dual opposite of God..and given a new portfolio as the minister of evil..but in the old testament he was under the control of God,and only acts with the expressed permission from God..as told in the story of Job.
So the scripture being quoted from might be pagan scriptures from Rome..
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by OlufemiAbbey(m): 4:22pm On Oct 05, 2017
planetzoom:
I have been left wondering why there are a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible. One of such as these is even alarming and confusing.
i was going through the gospels recently and i found the portions that purpotedly referred to the old testament,only to find out its not in the old testament

John 7:38. ''if anyone believes,as the scripture saith,out of his belly shall flow rivers of living waters''

Mathew 2:23''and he came and dwelt in Nazareth,that it may be fulfilled what was written by the prophets,he shall be called a nazarene'' (referring to Jesus)

i have painstakingly gone through the law and the prophets,both the torah,major and minor prophets. but i couldnt find these quotations anywhere. Can someone please explain or refer me elsewhere.could there be a typo mistake or what.please am confused.

My Brother, the Bible is God's word which can be understood through God's Spirit. I commend your sincerity and openness in trying to verify the scripture. All serious Christians should do this often so as to guide against heresies.

That you don't understand the Bible doesn't make it inconsistent. The Bible is the most accurately correct and profitable book there was, there is, and there ever will be. However, you need some tools also to understand it better. These tools include:

1. Context (Background)
2. Purpose (Why was it written)
3. Audience/Recepient (Who was it written to)
4. The Writer (His personality and country)
5. Language (Hebrew, Aramic or Greek).

P.S: I will advise you get yourself a book called Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem, Old Testament Survey and New Testament Survey by Danny McCain (hard copy or PDF) to augment your understanding.

The first scripture you quoted, John 7:38 has many referrals in the Old Testament. The purpose of the writer of the Gospel of John was to present Jesus as the true Messiah, the Logos (Eternal Word) and the Savior promised to save the Nation of Israel. If you read Isaiah 12:2, 3; 44:3, 4; 58:11, there are allusions to "water", "spring", "fountain". John was proving that Jesus is that living water. You may not find a direct quotation of John 7:38 in the Old Testament but, just as I have said, it was implied.

Your second quotation Matthew 2:23 is a problem of language. The Old Testament is written in 98% Hebrew Language and 2% Aramic; while the New Testament is written in Greek. And as we both know that human language has evolved, and is still evolving, it therefore poses a problem of finding accurate equivalent in modern day language. Besides, some names and places in the medieval period has no meaning to us today. For example, you can't use Shakespearean English like "thou, thine, ye, saith..." and so on in the 21st Century because some persons won't understand what you mean. Although Matthew 2:23 has no direct quotation in Old Testament, the closest word to "Nazarene" in Old Testament Hebrew Language is "the Branch", which can be seen in Isaiah 11:1. Similarly, Matthew 2:23 may be referring to a particular prophecy not canonized in our current collection of books that made up the Bible we are using today. Also, Matthew might be allegorizing the humble state of Jesus which has a starking similarities to the life of a Nazarene.

Finally, sir, when you read the Bible and you seem confused, consult the Holy Spirit for help, search for materials that can help you instead to concluding on half-baked truth. God bless you sir.

Shalom
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by OlufemiAbbey(m): 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2017
sonmvayina:
The new testament is not a continuation of the old testament, they are two different scriptures for 2 different religions....

The old testament is for Judaism, the romans stole it and used it as a foundation for their bull shit story about a dying man-god ...

They added it at the end of the Tanak, which is the Jewish scripture and called it the old testament...

That's why there is so much conflict between the 2..The God of the old testament is responsible for everything(both good and evil) while the god in the new testament is only for good things as the devil was now made a dual opposite of God..and given a new portfolio as the minister of evil..but in the old testament he was under the control of God,and only acts with the expressed permission from God..as told in the story of Job.
So the scripture being quoted from might be pagan scriptures from Rome..

Seek for knowledge sir. It will help you.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by twosquare(m): 6:11pm On Oct 05, 2017
planetzoom:

Most of those scriptures existed in those days but some are lost through the course of time while some are just being rediscovered while some are in the archives of Judaism rabbis.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 05, 2017
Because their word Bank is empty, and some of them think gospel artists are also entertainers. Some of them just cram few tongues and that's all for them. Forgetting it is not by fake tongues, but by real anointing and glory.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by sonmvayina(m): 10:33pm On Oct 05, 2017
OlufemiAbbey:

Seek for knowledge sir. It will help you.

My dear, truth is bitter,but it has to be told..Jesus is a fictional character of roman origin...no connection to the Messiah of the Jews...
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2017
sonmvayina:

My dear, truth is bitter,but it has to be told..Jesus is a fictional character of roman origin...no connection to the Messiah of the Jews...

lolz what do you know about the Messiah of the Jews
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by bahaushe1: 1:59am On Oct 06, 2017
Read Quran. Allaah has summarized what He revealed to Prophet Moses (alayhis-salaam)-Torah, Prophet David (alayhis-salaam)- Psalms, and Prophet Jesus (alayhis-salaam)- Gospel, in the Quran.

Allaah, exalted be He, has confirmed the divinity of those scriptures in Quran and has told us that what what is being paraded today as Bible is not what He revealed to His noble servants (Moses, David, and Jesus -alayhi-mus-salaam).

The books have been corrupted hence the contradictions, Allaah is far above contradicting Himself.

May Allaah guide you to the religion He has chosen for this nation - Islam.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by OlufemiAbbey(m): 7:12am On Oct 06, 2017
bahaushe1:
Read Quran. Allaah has summarized what He revealed to Prophet Moses (alayhis-salaam)-Torah, Prophet David (alayhis-salaam)- Psalms, and Prophet Jesus (alayhis-salaam)- Gospel, in the Quran.

Allaah, exalted be He, has confirmed the divinity of those scriptures in Quran and has told us that what what is being paraded today as Bible is not what He revealed to His noble servants (Moses, David, and Jesus -alayhi-mus-salaam).

The books have been corrupted hence the contradictions, Allaah is far above contradicting Himself.

May Allaah guide you to the religion He has chosen for this nation - Islam.

Oga, the Bible is what God intended it to be. God's word is infallible. It is complete and sanctified. And sir, Jesus is more than a prophet; He is God and Saviour. He is the final word of God.

It amazes me at first though that Muslims can FREELY comment on a Christian thread but we can't do the same on a Muslim thread, except we sign an oath but when I reflected, salvation is free in Christianity; open for all and sundry. However, same cannot be said of Islam where everything is of brute force: no free will conversion, once you are in you don't go out, if you have another view or talk ill of Muhammad you are dead (but Muslims insults Christ at will and nobody crucifies them), non-muslims are infidels that must be killed, raped, robbed and enslaved. So much for the peace in Islam.

Jesus is Lord of all, and the Bible is COMPLETELY CORRECT.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 06, 2017
OlufemiAbbey:

Oga, the Bible is what God intended it to be. God's word is infallible. It is complete and sanctified. And sir, Jesus is more than a prophet; He is God and Saviour. He is the final word of God.

It amazes me at first though that Muslims can FREELY comment on a Christian thread but we can't do the same on a Muslim thread, except we sign an oath but when I reflected, salvation is free in Christianity; open for all and sundry. However, same cannot be said of Islam where everything is of brute force: no free will conversion, once you are in you don't go out, if you have another view or talk ill of Muhammad you are dead (but Muslims insults Christ at will and nobody crucifies them), non-muslims are infidels that must be killed, raped, robbed and enslaved. So much for the peace in Islam.

I blame the moderators of this forum for allowing it. A real Christian wouldn't allow such
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by bahaushe1: 3:26pm On Oct 06, 2017
OlufemiAbbey:

Of course Prophet Jesus (pbuh) is not only a Prophet, he is a messenger of Allaah who was given scripture. Kindly refer to Quran 19: 30-33 for a description of who Prophet Jesus (pbuh) is from his own mouth.

As for your claim that Jesus is god, kindly refer to these verses: John 5:30, a God should be All-knowing, All-seeing; Mark 13:32, again God should be All-knowing; Luke 4:8, God is the only deity worthy of worship and indeed that is the straight way -Quran 19:36.

As for your claim that we insult Prophet Jesus (pbuh), know that no one is a Muslim until he believes in the Prophethood and Messengership of Jesus (pbuh).

We believe that Jesus (pbuh) is a servant, Prophet, and Messenger of Allaah.
Re: Why Did Gospel Writers Quore Non Existent Scriptures. by sonmvayina(m): 8:20pm On Oct 08, 2017
Ferisidowu:

lolz what do you know about the Messiah of the Jews
He is a mortal man, not a demi god(half man half god) from the seed of David, meaning that he us going to have a human father and mother..as the Jews don't have the idea of god mating with human.it is part of roman mythology. I guess you have watched clash of the titans..
The messaih is coming to usher in an era of peace, help build the third temple and restore the daily sacrifice to God, he will bring peace between is real and their neighbour and this peace will spread through out the world..
He is coming just once to do all these as there is no second coming arrangements..
Jesus did not meet any of these criteria,
Performing miracles is not a sign of the messaih...he is not god and definitely not meant to be worshipped.. The Jews understand that God is not a man or human being.(Num23:19)..and the second commandment warned them against creating or making an image of anything in heaven,on earth or under the earth to worship,
The romans in 325 AD in Nicea created a god in the image of a man, (something found on earth) and throwled the old testament looking for points in other to create Jesus as the Messiah... They have been deceiving the world with this idolatry.. The gospel story comes from ancient tales about Marduk.. As he was the son of Enki. Inanna was now renamed Mary...in the gospel story...check for "Satan's family the greatest deception" on youtube by Enki35..watch it to the end

(1) (Reply)

The Mysteries behind creation / Where Will Kids Go After Death / Sex Doll And The Sane Man Point Of View

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.