Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter (1269 Views)

Queen Victoria England Once Yoruba / Benin Was A Yoruba speaking Empire. / The Yoruba Princess Adopted By Queen Victoria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by rosy1992(f): 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2017
The Queen of England once had a god daughter who was Yoruba. This is her story.
There are some true life stories that seem that they are out from the pages of a Nollywood script.

One of such stories is the unbelievable life of Sara Forbes Bonetta, a Yoruba woman who was the god daughter of Queen Victoria of England.
Sara Forbes Bonetta was Yoruba but at an early age she became an orphan because of an inter-tribal war.
She was captured by King of Dahomey in the war of 1848 after her parents were killed.

Two years later, at the age of eight Captain Frederick E Forbes of the Royal Navy convinced the King of Dahomey to give Sara as a gift to the Queen of England. " She would be a present from the King of the Blacks to the Queen of the Whites " said the British captain and with that he was able to convince King Ghezo to give her to her
Royal Majesty.

Her name Bonetta and Forbes came from the name of the ship she boarded and the last name of the captain. When she got to England she was presented to the Queen of England. The monarch gave Sara to the Church Missionary Society.
Due to her ill health, she went back to Africa and studied at the Female Institution in Freetown, Liberia. By the age of 12, the Queen commanded her to come back to England.

Sara's royal manner impressed the queen greatly. She was a brilliant pupil who excelled in Literature, Music and Arts. The Queen loved her so much that she gave her a regular allowance and a pass to visit her residence- Windsor Castle anytime she wanted. Her intelligence and royal demeanour made her popular in the royal court of England. It was recorded that she was advanced in learning which surprised her tutors.

A 31 year old Yoruba wealthy business man James Pinson Labulo Davies would seek Sara's hand in marriage when she turned 18. She would reject his proposal. Because of her rejection, Sara was made to live in a place she described as "desolate little pig sty" with two old women. Her time in the little pig sty made Sara reconsider Davies' proposal.

In August 1862, she married James Pinson Labulo Davies. The marriage took place at St Nicholas Church in Brighton. The wedding party was the talk of the town. It was also very inter-racial with " White ladies with African gentlemen, and African ladies with White gentlemen. " After the marriage Sara Forbes Bonetta and her husband moved to Badagry in Lagos where she was baptised. Her husband settled down in Lagos and became active in local politics. He was a member of the Legislative Council from 1872-1874.

Sara gave birth to a daughter who was named Victoria after the Queen. In 1867, Sara visited the Queen in London. After giving birth to two more children, Sara Forbes Bonetta passed away. Some records say she died at 35 and other say she died at 40.

According to historical documents, Sara had health problems all her life. She had a cough because of her inability to acclimatize with European weather. It was reported that she died of tuberculosis.
This piece of the story from the past is quite surprising.
The British monarchy is seen as an all white institution and to think that a Yoruba woman was the god daughter of Queen Victoria is surreal.

3 Likes

Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by blackboy(m): 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2017
true. I'm from the lineage. My mum told me about this years back.

1 Like

Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by Morenikeji090(m): 8:47am On Oct 07, 2017
blackboy:
wow that's awesome I love when my people are making out culture proud I can't wait to make Yoruba people proud. Amen �

1 Like

Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by Olu317(m): 6:34am On Oct 08, 2017
blackboy:
Quite great reading about someone claiming descent from her lineage. This make the story more truthful.
Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by Cuddlebugie(f): 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2017
blackboy:
You are from Oke odan, Ogun state? If you truly share the same family tree with Aina Forbes, you're an egbado prince niyen.......
Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by Oluromantic: 12:29am On May 22, 2020
I'm emotional right now. The story is touching
Re: Queen Victoria Of England Once Had A Yoruba God Daughter by nobaga: 2:45pm On May 22, 2020
What is the difference between an African American that his great grand parents were the slave of the White American or British slave owner that sold his own son with a black slave maid?

You guys have no shame. Which white man or woman would be proud to claim an African slave with one drop of black as a relative unless outed or through recessive gene gives birth to a black baby.

Are there many so called "pure" whites without a drop of African blood? How many of them confessed not to mention flaunting or or proud of it.

(1) (Reply)

Breast Ironing! Woman’s Inhumanity To Woman In The Name Of Culture / Angry Igbo Lady Has Very Harsh Words For All You Python ( Eke) Killers! / Would You Act Like Okonkwo? - When Things Fall Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.