Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,698 members, 7,809,642 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria (41110 Views)

Upgrade Your Amazon KDP Account (remove The 30% Tax) To A Tax Free Account / How To Generate Your Tax Identification Number (TIN) Online / The Rhythm Of A Tax Defaulter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by FakoMaybach1: 7:25pm On Oct 07, 2017
I am a tax practitioner, TIN is free but you have to endeavor to register before 6 months after your incorporation date, else you are fined 10,000 for the first month and 5000 every subsequent month.

It is wiser to use a tax consultant, cus due to the relationship they have with tax offices, such penalties are usually waived. The tax man has the authority to waive the penalty if he so chooses, don't let em tell you otherwise, i have enjoyed such waivers numerous times.

Be careful on claiming you just started business, the Tax man can access your bank and know if you have earned income, they even have the right to demand for your bank statements, through withholding taxes sef exposes people that claim to be nursery companies meanwhile they have earned income

Your tax consultant is like your doctor, tell him the whole unadultrated truth, i have had clients lie to me and it made me look really bad and caused unnecessary delays.

It pays to pay your tax, compliance is cheaper than remedial, i know you are asking what has Nigeria done for you?. But someday you will need Nigeria, either a loan, or a contract etc and then you will have to pay through your nose to get what you need, a stitch in time saves 9 ooooo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by deolumike(m): 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2017
Do you have a goal of being your own boss and setting up your own business? Are you already running your business without a face or proper registration or do you want to register affiliate companies to an already registered one? Do yourself a favor and avoid future hindrances and trouble by contacting me on 08037653364 (whatsapp/call) and get your business names, companies and NGOs registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission for very considerate and competitive rates.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:42pm On Oct 07, 2017
op.. God bless u for this write up!!! have been looking for this info without success.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by gotousa2013: 7:54pm On Oct 07, 2017
Great info especially to aspiring business men and women in the house.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Maxford: 7:57pm On Oct 07, 2017
Ahmed0336:
I don do my own since last 3 weeks say my plastic id never ready. Make dem no chose d path of National ID o cos dat one na since 2013 and my plastic id never ready angry

Register with FIRS does not require ID except u did with the SBIR
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by micgray100(m): 8:19pm On Oct 07, 2017
Tin is free.. If you need guidance in online tin number registration.. I will be glad to assist at no fee.

My signature says it all. With all commendations from fellow Nairalanders I have got for helping incorporating of business..

Call or watsapp 07032728941.. Mr Gbenga

1 Like

Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by murchurat(m): 8:25pm On Oct 07, 2017
Thanks for the info.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by mindtricks: 10:01pm On Oct 07, 2017
jcflex:
FIRS no dey try, we should be able to register for TIN online without physical appearance at their office.

And this same FG is talking and promoting easy of doing business.

By now you should be used to their double-speaking and not accept all they say as true until you put it to test.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by mindtricks: 10:07pm On Oct 07, 2017
daewoorazer:
How do u expect me to pay tax in a country where basic social amenities is ZERO, and also largely controlled by a den of thieves year in year out.

power is fvcked..except if you are in the FCT

Local TV stations has nothing to offer than steady funeral adverts of century-dead corpses esp B.C.OS here in Oyo State, NTA too

No portable water supply for citizens

Road network is a trap/coffin in almost all parts of the country

Most especially, we graduates wey no get job but hustle start bizness without government loan oooo, you still expect us to pay tax? So you Hyenas can embezzle?

It still infuriates me hitherto, how tax payers money gets spent on health issues, park for jet with no accountability sort of angry
The "norm" is pay and be quiet that the looters extravagant lifestyles and jumbo pay might be guaranteed.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Krucifax(m): 10:13pm On Oct 07, 2017
Very useful information on Tax Registration in Nigeria. Thanks.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by raystanley(m): 11:48pm On Oct 07, 2017
deturla:
I have been receiving a lot of calls in recent times about how to apply for TIN in Nigeria. You will find in here all the detailed steps you need to know to apply for your tax identification number.

This is going to be a long read, but please take out time to read this since you NEED IT!

How to apply for TIN

Are you a Nigerian citizen working for a private organization or with the government. You own a business or you have the intention to start one? It is important that you know what a tax identification number is, and not only know but you also possess one.

A lot of small business owners believe that registrating their companies, business names with the CAC is all they need to be known as serious business men/women. However for an entity to be recognized in Nigeria, it goes way beyond registering with the CAC, but also registering for tax.

I have been receiving a lot of calls in recent times about how to apply for TIN in Nigeria. You will find in here all the detailed steps you need to know to apply for your tax identification number.

How to apply for TIN?

Are you a Nigerian citizen working for a private organization or with the government. You own a business or you have the intention to start one? It is important that you know what a tax identification number is, and not only know but you also possess one.

A lot of small business owners believe that registrating their companies, business names with the CAC is all they need to be known as serious business men/women. However for an entity to be recognized in Nigeria, it goes way beyond registering with the CAC, but also registering for tax.

I have your attention right? Let’s start with identifying what exactly is a taxpayer identification number (TIN).

What is a TIN?

The tax identification number (TIN) is a unique identifier for an individual or a company for the specific purpose of tax remittance. The TIN number is prepared by the tax office and issued to individuals or registered business / incorporated companies for proper identification and verification.

Why do I need a TIN?

As a business or individual, TIN is important because that is what shows that you are a registered tax payer in Nigeria, and as you know that tax payment is made compulsory, every company, business, individual must have their own unique tax identification number. After completion of registration with the tax office, the entity or individual is issued a TIN.

Remember that registration for tax is a legal obligation for everyone who is required by LAW to remit taxes in Nigeria.

If your company or business operates for profit and income is generated from Nigeria, then you are required by law to apply for TIN. Please note that incorporated trustees DO NOT require TIN! Take note of THIS!

Do I hear you ask again, why you need a TIN?

What else do I need a TIN for apart from tax identification?

There are other important things that a TIN can be used for apart from identifying a business or individual as a registered tax payer. These things are equally important as well:

1. Opening a of business account
2. Application for government loans
3. For foreign exchange and receipt of capital importation into the country
4. A TIN is necessary for licenses relating to trade, import and export
5. Registration of cars
6. Certificate of occupancy application
7. To obtain the Tax clearance certificate for individuals and companies which shows that you are a tax compliant business
8. To obtain tax incentives, tax waivers and certain tax allowances. Remember the recent pioneer incentive given to TSTV Africa?

How much will it cost me to apply for my TIN?

Applying for TIN is totally free IF YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN and if you have not incurred any tax penalty based on the time-frame given according to the LAW to obtain your TIN, either as an individual or as a company. There are no fees to be paid unless you intend to employ third parties to assist you in registering and obtaining the TIN.

There could be a lot of bottlenecks in the back and forth involved in liaising with the tax authorities for the receipt of your TIN. It will be better to shift the responsibilities on a third party so you can focus on more strategic aspects of the business.

Application for TIN as a registered company

All registration statements have been made by the Joint tax board on registering for the TIN. If you are also the tech savvy business person, you can do all your TIN registration online by checking the FIRS service platform.

You need to know the various documents you would need to apply for TIN as a company already incorporated. Head over to the Federal Inland Revenue Service office closest to your company’s registered address in the list that is here, with certain documents.

For Registered business names

Also, if you are a registered business name and not an incorporated company. Then you need to apply for your TIN via the VAT registration, there was a recent unification by the FIRS office whereby your VAT number will double as your TIN registration number.

Also, in some situations, registration for TIN also comes simultaneously as registration for companies income tax and also value added tax as stated above. This can be possible if your incorporated business or company has been in operation within six months.

As soon as you receive your TIN, this should be displayed on all your official documents especially instruments of business/ financial transactions like your invoices. This is extremely key and important in the eventuality of a tax audit by any of the tax offices. The fact that the tax office now operates an integrated tax office now makes everything easy for tax payers.

How to apply for TIN: Individuals

Application for TIN as an individual

You have to head over to the nearest Inland Revenue Office along with the original and photocopies of your national recognized ID card like your driver’s license, permanent voters’ card, International passport etc.

You will also be required to complete and submit an application form.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIN OF AN INDIVIDUAL IS DIFFERENT FROM THE TIN FOR A BUSINESS NAME OR A INCORPORATED COMPANY.

https://www.taxprof.com.ng/how-to-apply-for-tin-in-nigeria/

Ok thanks though...
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by haibe(m): 8:18am On Oct 08, 2017
As an individual do you need to have a TIN? I thought since individuals are taxed by the State IRS, then their payer ID represents their TIN.. Kindly clarify. Thanks.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by deturla: 8:20am On Oct 08, 2017
haibe:
As an individual do you need to have a TIN? I thought since individuals are taxed by the State IRS, then their payer ID represents their TIN.. Kindly clarify. Thanks.

You are very correct. Your payer ID is your individual TIN.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by dyoung4(m): 8:24am On Oct 08, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

Hi,

What kind of business did you register. You'll be required to have a board resolution for dissolution and some fees are payable to CAC with your final audited accounts. For FIRS, you'll be required to do a tax computation on cessation basis and file your financial reports (prepared on breakup basis).

You will need a professional to help you handle this and guess who Virtualaccountant.ng grin cheesy wink.

Virtualaccountant.ng helps SMEs comply with tax and other regulatory compliances. We are good like that wink

It is just a registered business name not LTD. No business have been done with the name.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by franchuks(m): 12:04pm On Oct 08, 2017
deturla:

This is going to be a long read, but please take out time to read this since you NEED IT!

How to apply for TIN

How to apply for TIN?

I have your attention right? Let’s start with identifying what exactly is a taxpayer identification number (TIN).

What is a TIN?

The tax identification number (TIN) is a unique identifier for an individual or a company for the specific purpose of tax remittance. The TIN number is prepared by the tax office and issued to individuals or registered business / incorporated companies for proper identification and verification.

Why do I need a TIN?

As a business or individual, TIN is important because that is what shows that you are a registered tax payer in Nigeria, and as you know that tax payment is made compulsory, every company, business, individual must have their own unique tax identification number. After completion of registration with the tax office, the entity or individual is issued a TIN.

Remember that registration for tax is a legal obligation for everyone who is required by LAW to remit taxes in Nigeria.

If your company or business operates for profit and income is generated from Nigeria, then you are required by law to apply for TIN. Please note that incorporated trustees DO NOT require TIN! Take note of THIS!

Do I hear you ask again, why you need a TIN?

What else do I need a TIN for apart from tax identification?

There are other important things that a TIN can be used for apart from identifying a business or individual as a registered tax payer. These things are equally important as well:

1. Opening a of business account
2. Application for government loans
3. For foreign exchange and receipt of capital importation into the country
4. A TIN is necessary for licenses relating to trade, import and export
5. Registration of cars
6. Certificate of occupancy application
7. To obtain the Tax clearance certificate for individuals and companies which shows that you are a tax compliant business
8. To obtain tax incentives, tax waivers and certain tax allowances. Remember the recent pioneer incentive given to TSTV Africa?

How much will it cost me to apply for my TIN?

Applying for TIN is totally free IF YOU DO IT ON YOUR OWN and if you have not incurred any tax penalty based on the time-frame given according to the LAW to obtain your TIN, either as an individual or as a company. There are no fees to be paid unless you intend to employ third parties to assist you in registering and obtaining the TIN.

There could be a lot of bottlenecks in the back and forth involved in liaising with the tax authorities for the receipt of your TIN. It will be better to shift the responsibilities on a third party so you can focus on more strategic aspects of the business.

Application for TIN as a registered company

All registration statements have been made by the Joint tax board on registering for the TIN. If you are also the tech savvy business person, you can do all your TIN registration online by checking the FIRS service platform.

You need to know the various documents you would need to apply for TIN as a company already incorporated. Head over to the Federal Inland Revenue Service office closest to your company’s registered address in the list that is here, with certain documents.

For Registered business names

Also, if you are a registered business name and not an incorporated company. Then you need to apply for your TIN via the VAT registration, there was a recent unification by the FIRS office whereby your VAT number will double as your TIN registration number.

Also, in some situations, registration for TIN also comes simultaneously as registration for companies income tax and also value added tax as stated above. This can be possible if your incorporated business or company has been in operation within six months.

As soon as you receive your TIN, this should be displayed on all your official documents especially instruments of business/ financial transactions like your invoices. This is extremely key and important in the eventuality of a tax audit by any of the tax offices. The fact that the tax office now operates an integrated tax office now makes everything easy for tax payers.

How to apply for TIN: Individuals

Application for TIN as an individual

You have to head over to the nearest Inland Revenue Office along with the original and photocopies of your national recognized ID card like your driver’s license, permanent voters’ card, International passport etc.

You will also be required to complete and submit an application form.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE TIN OF AN INDIVIDUAL IS DIFFERENT FROM THE TIN FOR A BUSINESS NAME OR A INCORPORATED COMPANY.

https://www.taxprof.com.ng/how-to-apply-for-tin-in-nigeria/

Nice write up....
Please I want to know if VAT No. can be used as TIN number. Kindly help to explicitly differentiate them. Thanks and cheers.

1 Like

Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by deturla: 6:23pm On Oct 08, 2017
franchuks:

Nice write up....
Please I want to know if VAT No. can be used as TIN number. Kindly help to explicitly differentiate them. Thanks and cheers.

You can do a TIN verification on the FIRS portal to verify this.

https://apps.firs.gov.ng/tinverification/

Cheers.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:05pm On Oct 09, 2017
I have family joint company Ltd that we registered in 2008, i did not open cooperate account for it because the company was not in operation at all till date. We have decided to start working on the company to be in operation. Do i still need to pay Tax from the 2008 till 2017 as per the years the company was not in operation? I have all the documents, including CAC cert, memorandum e.t.c. they are all intact.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Amacaco: 4:09pm On Oct 09, 2017
@deturla:I handled my matter personally at the FIRS office at Abakaliki. All payments were made inside their office at Abakaliki. Infact you will be asked to pay into a bank account they will give you. If you don't want the stress of going to the bank, then you bring cash and get a receipt later.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by deturla: 4:14pm On Oct 09, 2017
dotcomnamename:
I have family joint company Ltd that we registered in 2008, i did not open cooperate account for it because the company was not in operation at all till date. We have decided to start working on the company to be in operation. Do i still need to pay Tax from the 2008 till 2017 as per the years the company was not in operation? I have all the documents, including CAC cert, memorandum e.t.c. they are all intact.

Since you have not commenced business, No, you won't be required to pay taxes.

But note that your registration may trigger other statutory registration like VAT etc.

According to the law failure to register for VAT or tax generation after incorporation triggers a POL of N20,000 and certain penalties as determined by the tax law.

Either ways, I'd advise that you go to a tax consultant closest to you for tax advise straight away.

Do not GO to the TAX OFFICE on your own.

@virtualaccountantng, are you here?
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by deturla: 4:16pm On Oct 09, 2017
Amacaco:
@deturla:I handled my matter personally at the FIRS office at Abakaliki. All payments were made inside their office at Abakaliki. Infact you will be asked to pay into a bank account they will give you. If you don't want the stress of going to the bank, then you bring cash and get a receipt later.

This is interesting though.

It could be payment on penalties or something. Don't you think?

Did you ask what the payment was for? I think we may need to take this up on tax offices that collect money 'illegally'.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Dollabiz: 4:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
Good
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by jaxxy(m): 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

Yes, as a good citizen of Nigeria, you ought to register yourself with the taxman and remit on a monthly/annual basis. You can get a tax clearance certificate/card at the end of the year and you can be saved from a lot of hustles like lastma, visa application, finance for expansion etc. tongue

We will advise you to register today to do the needful.

Virtualaccountant.ng helps SMEs comply with tax and other regulatory compliances. Did I mention that we are ridiculously affordable!!! grin grin grin

I hv a tax clearance card/certificate bt not sure if i hv a Tin. Is dat possible. It was issued by Lirs. Pls clarify this for me.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 3:36pm On Oct 11, 2017
jaxxy:

I hv a tax clearance card/certificate bt not sure if i hv a Tin. Is dat possible. It was issued by Lirs. Pls clarify this for me.

100% possible. TIN is issued by FIRS. Tax clearance is issued by State for sole proprietorship business and FIRS for limited companies.

I must state that it's not common (I cannot use impossible because we are in Nigeria grin) for FIRS to issue tax clearance without a TIN.

www.virtualaccountant.ng

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by jaxxy(m): 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2017
Virtualaccounts:

100% possible. TIN is issued by FIRS. Tax clearance is issued by State for sole proprietorship business and FIRS for limited companies.

I must state that it's not common (I cannot use impossible because we are in Nigeria grin) for FIRS to issue tax clearance without a TIN.

www.virtualaccountant.ng

Ok thx bt how can i know if i hv a tin or not cos this was issued by a former company i worked with so it was done for me by the coy.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 6:18pm On Oct 11, 2017
jaxxy:

Ok thx bt how can i know if i hv a tin or not cos this was issued by a former company i worked with so it was done for me by the coy.

Individuals without a registered company do not need TIN. TIN is only required if you registered your company with CAC, whether business name or limited company. You can confirm your TIN from FIRS website, use Google please. If it's not there you can go to any FIRS close to your office to register for a TIN absolutely free grin!

However, if you're too busy to do it yourself we are able to help you do this for as low as 10k and we will send you a printout within an hour. We are good like that tongue
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 4:28pm On Oct 13, 2017
deturla:

But note that your registration may trigger other statutory registration like VAT etc.

According to the law failure to register for VAT or tax generation after incorporation triggers a POL of N20,000 and certain penalties as determined by the tax law.

Either ways, I'd advise that you go to a tax consultant closest to you for tax advise straight away.

Thanks. However, how will Nigerians in diaspora apply and get their TIN for their companies/businesses registered in Nigeria? Nawa O! shocked
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 12:41am On Oct 14, 2017
deturla:

I missed this earlier. Your advice is in order. The OP best bet is to contact a tax consultant ASAP. We might be able to get some waivers with the current VAIDS.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Virtualaccounts: 12:43am On Oct 14, 2017
dotcomnamename:

Thanks. However, how will Nigerians in diaspora apply and get their TIN for their companies/businesses registered in Nigeria? Nawa O! shocked

You need to contact a tax consultant - us/we/virtualaccount, ASAP to assist you with this. Our number and contact details are in our signature.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by sparkle4u(f): 4:35pm On Oct 14, 2017
dotcomnamename:
No, you will pay a pre-operational expense/fee or Pre-operational Levy(POL) and certain penalties which is determined by tax official.
Affordable professional accounting services for your small business, start up and project. Bookkeeping, Accounting, Tax compliance.
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by sparkle4u(f): 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2017
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by dotcomnamename: 9:12am On Oct 15, 2017
sparkle4u:

No, you will pay a pre-operational expense/fee or Pre-operational Levy(POL) and certain penalties which is determined by tax official.
Affordable professional accounting services for your small business, start up and project. Bookkeeping, Accounting, Tax compliance.

But Virtualaccounts said No, i won't be required to pay taxes. ??
Re: How To Apply For A Tax Identification Number (TIN) In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 15, 2017
Power is fvcked everywhere in Nigeria... INCLUDING ABUJA-FCT!... I stayed there for over 5 years.

daewoorazer:
How do u expect me to pay tax in a country where basic social amenities is ZERO, and also largely controlled by a den of thieves year in year out.

power is fvcked..except if you are in the FCT

Local TV stations has nothing to offer than steady funeral adverts of century-dead corpses esp B.C.OS here in Oyo State, NTA too

No portable water supply for citizens

Road network is a trap/coffin in almost all parts of the country

Most especially, we graduates wey no get job but hustle start bizness without government loan oooo, you still expect us to pay tax? So you Hyenas can embezzle?

It still infuriates me hitherto, how tax payers money gets spent on health issues, park for jet with no accountability sort of angry

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fraud, Perjury, & Insider Trading At Flutterwave - David Hundeyin / Meram Indimi Reveals Struggle With Depression / CBN Offers ₦50 Billion Credit To Households, Businesses Affected By Coronavirus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.