Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,842 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:27 AM

Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? (681 Views)

Top Most Common 100 Ebira Words And Their Meanings In English Language / February 21st: International Mother Language Day. Are our own languages a Taboo? / Nigerians Mark International Mother Language Day 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Gbethel: 4:10pm On Oct 08, 2017
As I mentioned in my previous post, “I am an English Language Literate but an Igbo Language illiterate” and this is a major problem but the society feels English brings more than food to the table. The fact remains that we are putting our culture at stake and our children will grow without being able to relate with their origin because they are been forced by the society to focus on the holy grail “English” Below are major reasons why children don't know how to speak their first language.

THE PARENTS

Children are greatly influenced by their parents and most parents make the mistake of using foreign languages to communicate to their children. In my own case, I remembered growing up in a house where another language aside speaking English is forbidden. If my daddy catches you speaking Pidgin English, Yoruba or any other language, be sure to have your ass ready for some wipe. His argument was always “did I send you to a good school to speak those rubbish?” I remembered growing up feeling like English is the ultimate language in life, I don't hate the fact I speak English but I despise the fact I can't speak Igbo though I understand when people speak to me and I speak Yoruba fluently but I sincerely can't tell how I learnt and understood these languages. click to continue http://www.classic9ija.online/2017/10/should-english-language-be-priority.html
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by cosby02(m): 4:18pm On Oct 08, 2017
NO

but as far as Nigeria is concerned, your English is used to judge ur intelligence.
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by whitebeard(m): 4:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
Yes

Because we love the queen..
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Nbote(m): 5:13pm On Oct 08, 2017
Yes becos Nigeria is a multicultural country. U don't expect to communicate with others in ur mother tongue. I'm sure if U had grown up in d village ur dad wouldn't have had a problem with u speaking pidgin or Yoruba.
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 13, 2017
Gbethel:
As I mentioned in my previous post, “I am an English Language Literate but an Igbo Language illiterate” and this is a major problem but the society feels English brings more than food to the table. The fact remains that we are putting our culture at stake and our children will grow without being able to relate with their origin because they are been forced by the society to focus on the holy grail “English” Below are major reasons why children don't know how to speak their first language.

THE PARENTS

Children are greatly influenced by their parents and most parents make the mistake of using foreign languages to communicate to their children. In my own case, I remembered growing up in a house where another language aside speaking English is forbidden. If my daddy catches you speaking Pidgin English, Yoruba or any other language, be sure to have your ass ready for some wipe. His argument was always “did I send you to a good school to speak those rubbish?” I remembered growing up feeling like English is the ultimate language in life, I don't hate the fact I speak English but I despise the fact I can't speak Igbo though I understand when people speak to me and I speak Yoruba fluently but I sincerely can't tell how I learnt and understood these languages. click to continue http://www.classic9ija.online/2017/10/should-english-language-be-priority.html
If you can speak Yoruba fluently then speaking Igbo shouldn't be difficult. If socializing with Yoruba speakers made you speak it then we shouldn't wait for our families to teach us our dialects before learning it. Even though they have a major role to play, we can take the bull by the horn in learning it. English is spoken more in this part of the world because aside putting putting food on our table, there's a bond.it unites multi lingual countries like ours.
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Probz(m): 10:22pm On Oct 13, 2017
Nbote:
Yes becos Nigeria is a multicultural country. U don't expect to communicate with others in ur mother tongue. I'm sure if U has grown up in d village ur dad wouldn't have a problem with u speaking pidgin or Yoruba.

And your own English is still crap.

1 Like

Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Probz(m): 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2017
“U has grown up in same village with the papa”

LMAO. See illiteracy.
Re: Should English Language Be A Priority Over Our Mother Language? by Nobody: 2:46am On Oct 14, 2017
NO!

Speaking English is needed nowadays, but the most important thing is your mother tongue.

I'm Amhara Ethiopian and my mother tongue is Amharic. Some urban ppl here nowadays mix some English words when they speak Amharic, but I always try my best to speak relatively pure Amharic.

Most of the learning subjects here are taught in English and I believe the gov't should made those subjects to be taught by Amharic and other Ethiopian languages.

Language is the most important aspect of a culture.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Ooni Of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi Ojaja II, Others Visit Buhari / Nigeria Ranked 5th In The World In Prostitution. / Dozens Of Children Found At 15th Century Child Sacrifice Site Had Hearts Removed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.