Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 03:19 AM

Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team (49523 Views)

11 Nigerian Footballers Who Have Never Played For Nigeria / Kanu Nwankwo Wears Jersey Featuring All The Clubs He Played For / The Teams That Have Never Played At The AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by DisGuy: 11:46am On Oct 11, 2017
What's up with players in the NPFL?
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by BluntBoy(m): 11:51am On Oct 11, 2017
Nothing special about them. Only Dele Alli makes sense on that list but he has a temper and may have problems with our coaches.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Rockyrascal(m): 11:56am On Oct 11, 2017
BisQuit:
Still on the euphoria of Nigeria qualifying for the 2018 world cup tournament in Russia, we take a look at players of Nigerian descent who could have represented Nigeria at the biggest stage of them all but opted to represent another country

One cannot fathom what inspired the decision of these talented footballers to adorn the colours of other countries instead of the aesthetically arranged, green-white-green. Whether this happens by dual nationalities, lack of opportunities to impress on the home front or outright decision to represent other countries, Nigeria can boast of a wealthy array of football talents in diaspora.

Let's take a look at the long list of some talented Nigerian footballers who have never played for the Nigerian national team.

Source=http://.com/nigerian-players-who-have-never-played-for-the-national-team

Cc: Mynd44 , Lalasticlala

Chuba Akpom

Chuba Amechi Akpom, 21, is an English professional footballer of Nigerian descent who plays as a striker and centre forward for Brighton & Hove Albion on loan from Arsenal. He has represented England at youth international levels. There were rumours that several distinguished Nigerian football stakeholders, including ex-Arsenal hero Nwankwo Kanu and Amaju Pinnick,the president of Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), had attempted to convince the Hale End Academy product to switch allegiance to Nigeria without success.
chuba akpom and Ola Aina played in a friendly game against corsica and Senegal this year
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Legendaryarcher(f): 11:58am On Oct 11, 2017
Better for them.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by LexngtonSteele: 12:01pm On Oct 11, 2017
yeyerolling:
trash list, most don't have nigerian passports and have played for their country of birth.when u say who have never played (can they still play?no) ur list is flawed, lets educate u more, there is ade akinbiyi, polish goal banger olisadebe, ugo ehiogu, john fashanu, Akinfenwa the beast,Owomoyela patrick etc.

Ah...you were born early to mid 80s...i see.

You made me nostalgic with all these names

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by jeremy042(m): 12:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
This is a show of misplaced identity..time will tell sad
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2017
LexngtonSteele:

Ah...you were born early to mid 80s...i see.

You made me nostalgic with all these names
nope missed d 80s by a 4 months grin. but have was exposed to things early.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by ogogoroNo1: 12:18pm On Oct 11, 2017
What about tammy
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by safarigirl(f): 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2017
coolebux:
Do you also know that virtually all the black English footballers both past and present are all Jamaicans
Yet their people haven't compiled this type of "regret list"

Though we've had our fair share of these oyibo players
The likes of osaze, Iwobi, Troost, Leon etc.
how many Jamaican websites have you been to or newspapers have yoi read that yoi can say Jamaicans have not compiled such lists? I bet they compile it every time they miss the World Cup...which is basically every four years
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by safarigirl(f): 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rockyrascal:
chuba akpom and Ola Aina played in a friendly game against corsica and Senegal this year
lol...no, they didn't.

They were just in camp with the guys, they did not play, they couldn't have played because both were tied to England having played in their age grade teams.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by SNOWBOI360(m): 12:41pm On Oct 11, 2017
THEM DENIED THEIR MOTHER/FATHER LAND OOO BUT SEE AS THEM GOOD

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Fxwarrior: 12:45pm On Oct 11, 2017
sucess001:
Messi nko....

or you didnt know his great great grandfather's capentar was a nigerian and he was named Oluwa Messi Aigbe at birth?

nonsense!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wickedness is not good o. grin
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by cooljoe(m): 12:54pm On Oct 11, 2017
Ur counting ineligibles too? I was hoping to c only dose we can still call up
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by DONORJIR(m): 1:19pm On Oct 11, 2017
sucess001:
Messi nko....

or you didnt know his great great grandfather's capentar was a nigerian and he was named Oluwa Messi Aigbe at birth?

nonsense!!!

now you see why i kept telling you that weed is not good. thank you op jare, xpecial that young man called IORFA, God damn it he is a Tiv native
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by DeRay98(m): 1:23pm On Oct 11, 2017
sucess001:
Messi nko....

nonsense!!!

Kolomental grin
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by BiggyBamBam: 1:24pm On Oct 11, 2017
BisQuit:
Sidney Sam

Sidney Sam is a German professional footballer with a Nigerian heritage who plays as a forward or winger for SV Darmstadt 98 on loan from Schalke 04. He is known for his explosive speed and dribbling style. In 2013, the 29-year old player denied Nigeria with his words:

"The 2014 World Cup is still far away but for me it is only Germany that counts. We don't have to speak about Nigeria. I never really thought about Nigeria and I do not know who invented that. I always wanted to play for Germany and I know I was on the coach's list. It is a pity, I was often injured but now I am here and want to prove my strengths."

WHERE IS SYDNEY SAM TODAY
That Stupid boy, who thinks he is the best in the worlds
Germany used him 5 times and dumped him!
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Alao96(m): 1:45pm On Oct 11, 2017
Alaba nko
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by IamUdo(m): 2:05pm On Oct 11, 2017
Op correction: Foreign players from Nigerian descent that opted to play for other countries. For instance there is no force on earth that could have made Ross Barkley play for nigeria
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Nigeriadondie: 2:34pm On Oct 11, 2017
BisQuit:
Dennis Aogo

Born to a German mother and a Nigerian father, Dennis Aogo is a German professional footballer who plays as a left back and left wing-back or midfielder for Schalke 04. The 30-year old footballer once revealed in an interview that Nigeria once invited him to play for the national team which he turned down.

''When I heard Nigeria wanted me for the World Cup, I had to really think about it.But I hesitated because Nigerians won't recognise me as a true African, it's a totally different culture from what I am used to in Germany.I know many Africans who were born in Europe are now playing for African teams but they are not regarded as locals.Nigeria is not well organised like what I am used to in Germany.I have been to Nigeria once for 14 days and so I knew what I wanted."
Doomed Nigeria. Nigeria can never be organized cos it forbids to progress.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Bullhari007(m): 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2017
AFONJA & Igbo representing from all angel , does it mean Almajiri from north no sabi play football remove Igbo and Yoruba from Nigeria equation... Somali will be better than the Arewa... unproductive desert folks TUFIAKWA
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Mikeal09: 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2017
Dele Alli
David Alaba.
The rest na trash!!!
Great Footballers do nt just play for money, they play for honor. They are patriots nt money mongers who choose rather to rut on their rusted bench abroad than make a mark on nation the belong to.
Messi could have played for Spain, a better and more organised team than Argentina. Ronaldo could have played for Brazil bt chose Portugal. And you are even here talking about people who have achieved NOTHING. NO WORLD CUP, NO CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, NO EPL, NO LA LIGA, NO BALON D OR. Abeg what have they even achieved sef, remind me again.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by BlaQWolf: 4:00pm On Oct 11, 2017
SmartyPants:

Really? The likes of Sidney Sam and Aogo are the best of the best?

The only top level players there are Dele Alli and David Alaba. Barkley, Sam and Ogbonna are merely decent players.

The rest are outright poor players that won't cut it at any decent level.

I merely said competing with the best of the best but at least even if they are average, they will still give us a little edge on their day
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Orpe7(m): 4:30pm On Oct 11, 2017
Nigerians can sow their seeds anywhere
Na we sabi am.pass grin
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by valentineuwakwe(m): 4:44pm On Oct 11, 2017
very educative and informative. .atleast this should always be what hits front page daily. .
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Rajosh(m): 5:02pm On Oct 11, 2017
As a coach, the only four people I'll pick from that team are Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Angelo Ogbonna and David Alaba. The rest of them are just average players. We have their likes already. Ahmed Musa, Ihenacho etc.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by freshkik(m): 6:46pm On Oct 11, 2017
DBlackCeazer:
David is the son of a Nigerian musician named Inferno. Wishes for all(wadada) anyone?
WOW! really?? shocked shocked i use to watch dat when i was young..... if i remember correctly, the video was don outside in snow...... 'i was always singing 1 line dat i doubt if its correct sef, it goes * wadada wadada we sing for every one now.. * cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by freshkik(m): 6:52pm On Oct 11, 2017
Rockyrascal:

Akpom on Op's list surprised me too, akpom was even in uyo for either this last home match with Zambia, or the previous one with Cameroon.....if you check his IG you ll notice a recent video of him with iwobi and ola aina one the red carpet in uyo, prolly travelled with them..... he is no expected to be called bcoz he doesnt start for his club bt his tym ll come

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by alabiyemmy(m): 7:43pm On Oct 11, 2017
Who told you they are Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Isahalbash(m): 7:47pm On Oct 11, 2017
davillian:

they are not doing beta then why are Nigerian representatives going after them.
You would not understand I'm sure Uve not tried representing your country nd u wre turned down because u refuse to pay or share you salary.

"One man's food is another man's poisonous." That's how life is, when things don't favour u its favours someone else, though, the people in charge of Nigeria's affair are not doing it the way it ought to have been.
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by DBlackCeazer(m): 7:51pm On Oct 11, 2017
freshkik:

WOW! really?? shocked shocked i use to watch dat when i was young..... if i remember correctly, the video was don outside in snow...... 'i was always singing 1 line dat i doubt if its correct sef, it goes * wadada wadada we sing for every one now.. * cheesy cheesy
correct bro
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by Harbeyg09(m): 8:52pm On Oct 11, 2017
BisQuit:
Sidney Sam

Sidney Sam is a German professional footballer with a Nigerian heritage who plays as a forward or winger for SV Darmstadt 98 on loan from Schalke 04. He is known for his explosive speed and dribbling style. In 2013, the 29-year old player denied Nigeria with his words:

"The 2014 World Cup is still far away but for me it is only Germany that counts. We don't have to speak about Nigeria. I never really thought about Nigeria and I do not know who invented that. I always wanted to play for Germany and I know I was on the coach's list. It is a pity, I was often injured but now I am here and want to prove my strengths."

The boastful idiot is not even anywhere near Germany 3rd eleven grin grin
Re: Nigerian Players Who Have Never Played For The National Team by ogbiwa: 9:31pm On Oct 11, 2017
Lol @ Ross Barkley. That's clutching at straws.
You left out several viable names like Liverpool's Seyi Ojo or Chelsea's Tammy Abraham etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brazil 2002 Squad Reunite To Celebrate 20th Anniversary Of World Cup Triumph / 3 Chelsea Stars In Top 10 Overpaid Players In The Premier League [Full List] / Wanderson Cristaldo Farias Rushes To Kiss Wife After Scoring, Goal Disallowed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.