Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,257 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Is Ugu Farming This Useless? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Ugu Farming This Useless? (11056 Views)

Ugu Farming And Setup Analysis / Starting My Ugu Farming With My Friend And Mentor / Ugu Farming On A Two Plot Of Land. How Profitable? (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 8:49am On Nov 20, 2017
FarmTech:
Congrats op. I hope it is not that useless.
LOL.
I'm being hopeful. I don't want want to be scammed again. Please if you have any serious buyer's contact, please help a brother o

Thanks
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by slyfid(m): 2:34pm On Jan 30, 2018
dewale1234:
Dear Farmers

I planted a plot of ugu 60 x 100 feet and they actually did well. My wife brought some people to harvest/buy at first cut and everything came to N10,000. We spent about N100,000 on this project.

It is so disheartening and discouraging. Is this how it is at first cut? My farm is fully fenced around Ifo?
How do i go about it the next time?

I feel so sad now

Any suggestion on how to add fertilizer and market at the next cut?

cc @FarmTech
@Pavore9
@jasper7
@world1
In ugu farming,you get your money gradually. This was just your first harvest.you still have more months of continual harvest besides first cut in ugu are usually not much as the leaves are not so broad at this stage. Finally,dry season is the best time

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by DEBJOCH1(m): 8:37pm On Jan 30, 2018
You must be a father Christmas Ugu farmer to have spent 20k for clearing a plot, 20k for planting, haba that's too outrageous clearing and digging ridges of a plot at my end in Ogun state is N7k, to plant ugu on a plot is not a rocket science, you can do that your self. Just get rid of that woman from your farm, she is a parasite, she is capitalizing on the fact that you are naive.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 02, 2018
Hello dewale, can i have your contact? I also reside in ifo. I need ugu seeds from your farm if you have any. Thanks. 07068278983
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by signeddocuments: 1:24pm On Sep 04, 2018
People can be so wicked at times. Ha that woman really dealt with u. how can she sell seed for u for 60k and buy the whole harvest for 10k.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by kunleweb: 1:50pm On Sep 04, 2018
signeddocuments:
People can be so wicked at times. Ha that woman really dealt with u. how can she sell seed for u for 60k and buy the whole harvest for 10k.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin falls off chair
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by pelicanbeau(f): 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2018
@dewale1234, can I have a current view of your ugu farm.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 9:07am On Sep 07, 2018
pelicanbeau:
@dewale1234, can I have a current view of your ugu farm.
At the moment, we stopped due to marketing issues... Dealing with those women is very frustrating and they see you as their cash cow that they can milk...
We left it for the pods to come out so we can sell the pods (though) we still don't know how to get the market for it
The pods are coming out now
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by stanvesco(m): 11:14pm On Sep 07, 2018
dewale1234:

At the moment, we stopped due to marketing issues... Dealing with those women is very frustrating and they see you as their cash cow that they can milk...
We left it for the pods to come out so we can sell the pods (though) we still don't know how to get the market for it
The pods are coming out now

I am interested....
I will buy all your pods
+2348063152970

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Salimmuhammad(m): 6:17am On Sep 08, 2018
I think you have done fairly well. I congratulate you. Why? At least, you got production right. Now, try to do what you should have done earlier which is to know when to plant Ugu in your area.

When should you plant ugu? It is when other farmers are not planting ugu. And then, ask yourself, why don't they plant ugwu at that time?

To make most veggie profitable, you must solve at least a problem. Find a solution to why they don't plant at certain period of the year.

For example: Tomato does not like too much water. Too many diseases to fight at this time. During heavy rainy season, it must be expensive. So, what can you do to bring out your tomato around this time. Some farmers harvest very close to heavy rainy season to make some reasonable profit, though may not be the best sales. Some take a bigger risk that there will not be heavy rain at that time and knowing fully well that most farmers will run away from cultivating it at the time. If there is heavy rain, they lose big. And if there isnt heavy rain, they win very big.
Back to ugwu, it seems you might need to cultivate it when there is no more rain and when the sun is terribly hot. Solution might be to get irrigation on your farm.

Next, try to know the nearest main market you can easily sell your product. Never allow buyers come to your farm as they will cheat you. Here is the trick. You must know how big your farm should be to compensate for logistics (transportation to market, police tips, area boys tips, car park fee, etc). Else, you will run at loss. If it is one acre that can easily give you a decent breakeven with some nice profit and you cultivate just one plot, you are in soup.

Fertilization:
Ugu is a not a fruit plant; hence, you need more urea if you are an inorganic farmer plus little NPK and micro nutrients. So, side dress each plant with 3/4 bottled water cap of urea plus 1/4 bottled water cap of NPK every month, immediately after harvest.

If you are an organic farmer, use fish water waste (from fish pond), fermented fish waste, green fertilizers etc that are all with substantial nitrogen plus side dress with dried manure or compost frequently.

Note: The above recommendation is for small scale farmers. If you want to practice agric, do it well. Get your plan intact and know your breakeven limit. Do not consult any of those internet guys. Consult farmers and traders in the market. Then, talk to drivers who will take your products to market. Understand how the market in your area works and add some additional cash for miscelaneous expense.

Anyday, anytime, i favor drip irrigation as my first tool on the farm. No drip, no farming. It is the honest truth you must not run away from. You will just be like other farmers who keep complaining every second about being poor if you do not take irrigation serious. And leave ugu alone during rainy season. Let farmers who cannot buy irrigation kits struggle among themselves during this period. May you not work in vain again. Blessings!

bro it seems u have knowledge abt tomatoe farming, i intend to go into it soon but i want to target havesting when its scarce....pls can we talk 08097021409

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 8:52am On Sep 08, 2018
stanvesco:

I am interested....
I will buy all your pods
+2348063152970

Where are you based?
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by binajiya(m): 7:39pm On Sep 11, 2018
dewale1234:

Where are you based?
Im also interested. Abuja based
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by dewale1234(m): 12:21pm On Sep 17, 2018
binajiya:

Im also interested. Abuja based
I am in Ogun State
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by kenouseh: 3:57pm On Mar 15, 2019
Hello Nairalanders, Please does anyone have an Ugu Farm in Warri or Effurun area where i can visit and also get training on how to farm Ugu. I have a large piece of land and want to farm ugu. I intend to also purchase the ugu seeds. Hope to get a positive response. Thank you.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Nannamarvn(m): 3:22pm On May 06, 2019
Bro thanks for the information right now I'm into ugu farming but the leaves are not growing well I don't know if there's a manual that can boost it please my number is 080 84-63 6032
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Nannamarvn(m): 3:35pm On May 06, 2019
Hello everyone I really need help I have a farm in delta state warri north I think the lady in charge is really dealing with me and I'm in to ugu farming right now he told me the seeds I will have to bought it for 45000 and the maintenance of the Lands and the rest of it I've spent almost 250000 but I don't think when it comes to adverse I will have up to that amount and all she know how to do is ask of money I tend to take her out and the ugu is not growing at all I don't know if there's a good manual I can use please help me oooo## wetfazzy@gmail.com

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by Cee9(m): 6:03am On May 07, 2019
Nannamarvn:
Hello everyone I really need help I have a farm in delta state warri north I think the lady in charge is really dealing with me and I'm in to ugu farming right now he told me the seeds I will have to bought it for 45000 and the maintenance of the Lands and the rest of it I've spent almost 250000 but I don't think when it comes to adverse I will have up to that amount and all she know how to do is ask of money I tend to take her out and the ugu is not growing at all I don't know if there's a good manual I can use please help me oooo## wetfazzy@gmail.com
with a farm looking like that, what has she been maintaining?
That ugu needs water..

2 Likes

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by phenylalanine(m): 8:32am On May 07, 2019
But are u expecting to make the 100k at first sales? Only few business will do that. Just be patient put in more effort and build your marketing strategies. U will sure make back ur money but not immediately, just keep records of sales

1 Like

Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by austinomd(m): 2:31pm On May 20, 2019
Good Day All,

Please how many months from planting date does it take for ugu to develop a mature pod, i want to leave my ugu farm for the pods so that i don't have to buy pods for my next planting and i was advised to stop harvesting the leaves after cutting twice for a better chance of developing pods, but i need to know how long it will stay before i can get the pods to know if it will be more cost effective to produce my own pods for planting than to buy pods.

Also is there any special care than the regular maintenance that is required for pods to develop?

Please help I'm new in farming and your answers will be a great source of help and encouragement.
Re: Is Ugu Farming This Useless? by samshoz(m): 3:45pm On Oct 27, 2020
For your affordable organic manure/foliar fertilizer need, I have some rabbits urine and droppings for your vegetables/plants need. #35 per kg of rabbits droppings & #40 per litre of rabbits urine. Slight discount for bulk purchase.

Contact / WhatsApp 08020903112

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nairaland's No.1 Rice Producer. 1,000 bags of rice. From now to March 2017 / Diary Of A Pig Farmer / How Access Bank Is Revitalising Agric Sector With Agriculture Desk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.