Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,318 members, 7,815,608 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

Zenith Bank's Employment - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Zenith Bank's Employment (15686 Views)

Zenith Bank Sacks 1,200 Employees - Premium Times / Please Help Me Choose Between Zenith And UBA / Zenith Bank Sacks Marketers & Managers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by whassup: 3:04pm On Mar 12, 2010
i wonder what type of person wrote this wonderful topic.were u paid to expose peoples salary or u really think nairalanders can talk to jim ovia 4 u.anyway 4 me i think u are lucky u ve got a job.it is not jim ovia's fault he is just a business man.in anycase always find a reason to console urself.there are one thousand and one better qualified people that the cap fit that seat u are sitting on at work that will even accept less than u are getting.just work harder and pray u move higher but pls stop complaining.u know what 5k is to some graduate how much more 85k
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Tudor6(f): 3:07pm On Mar 12, 2010
Dr. Dre:

@ 1st Poster
Do U knw dat som people wil feel insulted wit wat U've posted? There are graduates beta than U & have neva earned a kobo several years afta leavin school. Som dat even have jobs dont earn up to half of 85k. I'm sure U have an idea of d situation in d country's labour market, if not U wuld have resigned & picked up anoda job instead of punishin a poor keyboard. That said, I hope U are not 'traceable' b4 som1 (or your bank) hunts U down. lol
I don't understand. . . .
Because people are jobless and worse off the poster shouldn't demand what is by right due to him for his labour?

These people work, work and work their asses off then CEO's like cecelia ibru and Erastus Akingbola would purchase 80 houses in dubai and jet for their pastors while the worker is paid chicken change and told "Don't complain".

Tell me you don't see the stupidity in this!
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Nobody: 3:21pm On Mar 12, 2010
@switch360 Diamond Bank pays Trainee 90k after 6 month yu become an ET and ur take home will be 172K plus
Some other packages . Db does not enslave staff,
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by omofat: 3:32pm On Mar 12, 2010
Tudór:

I sometimes honestly wonder if nigerians are born silly or they acquire it later in life. . . .

The general replies here borders on "If you don't like it quit", "Don't complain, some are worse off" and bla bla bla.

Don't complain? Why the hell not?! He's employed as a trainee and given the same workload and targets as a full staff without the same financial and fringe benefits. . . Is that not SLAVERY?

Rather than castigating or speaking against such exploitations by coporate organisations they prefer to rant "Half bread. . .", "Complain not", "Quit". It means the morons aka nigerians have come to accept this act of coporate slavery as the norm and perfectly legal.

No wonder everybody including politicians and religious leaders shits on you nigeriansdeadbeats.

Shame on you deadbrains called nigerians.

@poster.

Pls complain and cry out!! No human being should be exploited this way. . . . Hopefully the imbeciles called Nigerians would one day wake up and stand against such crimes against humanity.

I'm in love with Tudor o kiss
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by DrDre1(m): 3:38pm On Mar 12, 2010
@ Tudor
My brother, U wunt believe how much I hate d slavery these banks (and some other companies) put people into. Infact I personally turned down 2 bank jobs even when evrytin seemed rosy in d sector. I hate them wit passion. U rarely find a bank staff wit a gud story. All the stunts U see them tryin 2 pull na smokescreen o. The rot in d bankin sector as been on for long. No one will really pay U wat U are worth. Speaking out is gud but doing it on Nairaland isn't going 2 really help him. We've known of these sad tales many years b4 now. The system is messed up.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by atilla(m): 3:48pm On Mar 12, 2010
guy hold on N85,000 is not too bad, sorry its not what others are paying.

U can use the experience for better job at the end of a day, get urself better qualifictions so they will have no choice but pay u what ur worth.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by sharpman1(m): 3:59pm On Mar 12, 2010
Nonsense!!! angry

This IS NOT slavery. Nobody has forced you to remain there and you are not in chains being whipped to work. An organization will only pay what the owners feel they can afford to pay.

If you don't like it go and start your own bank or company. Were you forced to apply for the job? Are you being forced to remain there? Do you know how many job seekers are out there looking for the small opportunity you've got?

Instead of complaining why don't you SIT DOWN and figure a way out.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Jarus(m): 4:06pm On Mar 12, 2010
Tudór:

I don't understand. . . .
Because people are jobless and worse off the poster shouldn't demand what is by right due to him for his labour?

These people work, work and work their asses off then CEO's like cecelia ibru and Erastus Akingbola would purchase 80 houses in dubai and jet for their pastors while the worker is paid chicken change and told "Don't complain".

Tell me you don't see the stupidity in this!
Spot on.

Most of the responses here are bewildering, if not nauseating. So this is what unemployment has turned Nigerians into.
The poster knows his worth, he knows what he does, and he has every right to complain.

Let's call Zenith bank for what it is: slave farm. Abajo, no wonder my friends there keep dropping their CVs for me taht tehy want to leave.

A bank as big as Zenith paying 85k flat, no bonus etc, for a graduate is most ridiculous; even more ludicrous is not living to their promise of improving it after one year.
I have a friend that has been there since 2007 but has not still in ET or what do they call it. By company rule, I learnt, after getting further qualifications, your pay rises, but one year after becoming a Chartered Accountant and submitting his ICAN certificate, nothing has changed.  They keep bypassing their own rules and cheating staff.

Zenith bank is a slave farm - period. Only the senior executives enjoy the system.

I personally vowed never to work in a bank even before finishing University, and set a benchmark that I will never take any job that paid less than 100k, and later raised it to 150K minimum benchmark. Of course, effortlessly, I got, because I knew my worth.

I, for one, can't take such job in the first place.

The guy is free to complain.

Meanwhile, Seun's comment here calls for some reasoning:
Seun:

So they should fire you and hire a student to do the student's work you're doing?  tongue
Except if expressly stated in employment contract, promotion, as newly introduced into my own organization, is not done by the number of years you have spent doing the same work. Otherwise, it will just be by civil service where, after two years, you automatically get promoted to another level.
Do you do extra work? Do you still do the same thing, and spend same time or have same output, you were doing when you were employed two years ago?
If that is the case, then all I need to do as the employer, is to fire you and employ a fresh grad that will be able to do same job at the cost I was giving you two years ago when you were new, and I will save cost. After all, you are still doing what you were doing two s=years ago and you want to earn more money.

This is teh employers perspective.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Tudor6(f): 4:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
Dr. Dre:

@ Tudor
My brother, U wunt believe how much I hate d slavery these banks (and some other companies) put people into. Infact I personally turned down 2 bank jobs even when evrytin seemed rosy in d sector. I hate them wit passion. U rarely find a bank staff wit a gud story. All the stunts U see them tryin 2 pull na smokescreen o. The rot in d bankin sector as been on for long. No one will really pay U wat U are worth. Speaking out is gud but doing it on Nairaland isn't going 2 really help him. We've known of these sad tales many years b4 now. The system is messed up.
I beg to differ. . . . Crying out on Nairaland is prolly the best way out. The other option is to suffer in silence and that aint going to help.

When the plight of these guys are publicised and the general public get to know how these companies treat their workers.
Companies hate bad publicity. . .

Thats the way its done. Tesco and the mexican tomato pickers is an example. . . They campaigned publicly to be paid a fair wage, now things are changing.

I bet you things will change if we start a public campaign against coporate slavery.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by GNBohr: 4:25pm On Mar 12, 2010
This is a very interesting topic and the poster have every right to complain. In the first place, he get what he deserves. In the second place, the bank management staff policy is damn exploitative.

Many graduates would rather focus on applying for bank jobs alone because of the erroneously perceived status and image. They turned around some few months into the job to complain of corporate slavery.

Successive workers in most of these banks, particularly those in the so called "second generation" banks have wittingly signed their welfare away and in the process mortgaged their future and that of coming generation of workers.

I remenbered vividly when about some fifteen years ago when I was working in the insurance sector and NUBIFIE and ASSBIFIE wanted a collective agreement on staff welfare. Due to parochial interest, selfishness, unbriddled arrogance and lack of comradeship and vision, the management of banks then was able to convince and entice their workers to distance themselves from the collective agreement.

The banks then got their workers to sign a commitment of non-unionism and so through their folly lost out in the regular review of staff welfare that is normally anchored and coordinated by these financial institutions junior and senior staff unions.

Then the workers of these banks became aloof, arrogant and remain in self delusion that their management will always seek their best interest without they having a united platform to fight for their welfare.

The bank workers brought these calamities on themselves. Look at it this way, after consolidation the bank management became reckless, corrupt and mindless in their decisions and activities. The insurance industry was consolidated and every stakeholders including the trade unions were involved. The unions negotiated every welfare including disengagement with their management, individually and collectively.

Insurance workers can take up his collective agreement document and knows what he/she is entitled to during work, out of work, resignation, retirement or termination. I am not too sure if a bank worker have such document to rely on or file a suit on against a non complying management.

The point is trade union is very weak or absolutely non existent in Nigerian Banks. The present day bank workers are now suffering the folly of the predessesor.

The only thing that can stop this apparent exploitation and work slavery is for the banks to begin to have strong local unions and then reaffliate their local unions to the national body. I am not a unionist but am well versed in labour union's purposes and advantages. Don't get me wrong, no labour union can avert mass sack in underperforming organisations or companies that are going under, but they sure can provide soft landing and prevent workers' exploitation and unsavoury human resources practices and policies.

The question is will the mordern day bank workers be ready to fight for each other, this is my fear and my doubt. They are too comfortable in their comfort zones to realise that when push becomes shove, the effect will be all-encompassing as we are witnessing now.

To the bank management, it is a wrong personnel policy not to make a worker's pay commensurate with his job responsibilities and expectations. Of course corporate management and managers the world over are exploitators and slave drivers. If you dont know that now then you are not ready to work in corporations.

To job seekers, it is true there are no jobs but dont sign your life a way to a job that will take everything from you and replace it with almost nothing. I have a family friend whose first son became mentally impaired because he was given a wrong treatment by househelp because both the mother and the father works in banks. The mother later resigned after the damage has been done in order to have time to look at her children.

If you take up such job having fully been made aware of its requirement or after having found out about its requirement, please give your best, look out for better opportunities or keep your peace till eternity.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by nuelmae(m): 4:26pm On Mar 12, 2010
@poster- You are absolutely right.But the truth is you were
probably unlucky to have joined the bank @ the wrong time.
I have been with Zenith for over 5yrs and  it hasnt
always been like this.Its just Zenith's ingenious way of managing the
current challenges bedeviling d industry instead of sending into the labor
market thousands of its employees like other banks.
B4 d downturn, Zenith promoted its staff every six months, but 4 close to 20 months now,
theres been no promotion-IT IS VERY UNLIKE ZENITH.
My broda just thank God for what u have while we pray for things to get better.
i have been on a grade for 30 months now but i am not complaining because when things
were rosy we benefited and moreso i have still got my bird in hand
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by ohije(m): 4:32pm On Mar 12, 2010
What does the poster mean by   "My grouse is why in the name of cutting cost will you employ full graduate only to pay them OND salaries but use their graduate brains.  This is pure exploitation."   why are we so arrogant in Nigeria? what makes you so wonderful, supernatural or extravangant, than the OND guy? what has the so called graduate brain achieve for us? I understand the whole issue presented and while I empathize with you, I think it's very wrong to demean OND holders because you want to fan your degree ego. it's sickening. I am sorry for been harsh, though.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Tudor6(f): 4:35pm On Mar 12, 2010
sharp man:

Nonsense!!! angry

This IS NOT slavery. Nobody has forced you to remain there and you are not in chains being whipped to work. An organization will only pay what the owners feel they can afford to pay.

If you don't like it go and start your own bank or company. Were you forced to apply for the job? Are you being forced to remain there? Do you know how many job seekers are out there looking for the small opportunity you've got?

Instead of complaining why don't you SIT DOWN and figure a way out.
Have you ever heard the term Modern day Slavery?. Please google it and find the modern meaning of slavery, definitions have transversed dragging a blackman across the ocean and forcing him to work in a farm.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by princekevo(m): 4:39pm On Mar 12, 2010
proudly9ja:

I don't want to agree with people telling the poster to quit with the talk that 'some peopl don't have jobs'. Thats a wrong way to view things and its this same 'at least Im better than others' mentality that's left Nigeria the way she is now.

If one is not treated right at work, he/she has every right to complain and where there are unions, the unions should take it up! We should stop this slavery mentality. People who work deserve to be paid in accordance to the work they put in. If its not commensurate, they have the right to complain.

That's how we accept injustice in every facet in our country and the rot has continued. So if they reduce his salary to 50k tomorow when people who do same work earn more, he should still continue to be grateful that he has work?

And you think Nairaland is the right place for him to complain? He should complain to the appropriate quarter and be ready for the consequencies which might be termination of his appointment. If anyone ask him to post his full name, his bank branch and his department to fight for him will he boldly post that here on NL? Whereby he has no boldness to make any differencehe should stop whining or quit. Those calling it slavery should check the definition of slavery again. A slave have no choice to quit even when they dont like their working terms, here is a man who have 100% freedom to quit and search for another job, but chose to whine
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by sharpman1(m): 4:50pm On Mar 12, 2010
Tudór:

Have you ever heard the term Modern day Slavery?. Please google it and find the modern meaning of slavery, definitions have transversed dragging a blackman across the ocean and forcing him to work in a farm.

Tudor, did you google the term modern day slavery

The point is THIS IS NOT forced labor, human trafficking or stuffs like that.

An organization has employed an individual or a group of individuals. . . . .they would be paid wages. . . . . and the wages to be paid are usually agreed. . . . if you don't like the offer. . . . . then DON'T TAKE IT!!! Simple.

Would you prefer the bank asking about half of its workforce to leave
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by NatGas(m): 5:01pm On Mar 12, 2010
Bank work is a total cooperate slavery.the money being paid as salaries are spent on wares,perfume, and transportation.i have a friend who works for union bank in ABUJA is a contract staff since 2006 till date is salary is 75k!
Just imagine!what can 75 do in the FCT and the most annoying part of the whole thing is that no job security.they keep threaten the contract staff with the word "DOWNSIZING"
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Shokwen: 5:10pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Toreg and Ziondougta, no union fought for your ex-gratia. We (ex-staff) fought for ourselves. I'll send a post when next we are meeting, so u can come and make your contributions. Cheers!
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by hixxx1(m): 5:17pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Tudor and Poster: You are both mentally deficient. How can a guy earning N85K per month in naija be complaining about poor salary? That’s why these so called bankers cheat, steal and engage in other criminal activities. 85k is not enough for the work you do? What type of work do u that makes you feel you deserve more. 2.1, first class; and so what? 1st class and 2.1 are mere paper qualifications. Proof you deserve the good grades you made in school by generating employment. Society does not owe you a damn thing. Poster, people like you need to be flushed out from the banking sector. You are so so greedy.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Tudor6(f): 5:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
sharp man:

Tudor, did you google the term modern day slavery

The point is THIS IS NOT forced labor, human trafficking or stuffs like that.

An organization has employed an individual or a group of individuals. . . . .they would be paid wages. . . . . and the wages to be paid are usually agreed. . . . if you don't like the offer. . . . . then DON'T TAKE IT!!! Simple.

Would you prefer the bank asking about half of its workforce to leave
Excuse me?

An individual is employed as a trainee used for two years working with the same targets as a full staff and paid only a fraction of their salary and with no benefits, and you say he's not enslaved?

Nowhere is it right to take advantage of a desperate man. . .that they even willingly agree to work under such conditions dosn't make it right.

According to you, even if the banks pay 10,000 a month, its right as long as the staff agree. . . That is pathetic!
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by nuelmae(m): 5:33pm On Mar 12, 2010
ferari90:

@switch360 Diamond Bank pays Trainee 90k after 6 month yu become an ET and your take home will be 172K plus
Some other packages . Db does not enslave staff,

maybe you should also let the house know of the number ()in their hundreds)of
staff sent into the labour market by diamond bank in d last 5months.
Your thinking shudnt be a one way traffic
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by sharpman1(m): 5:45pm On Mar 12, 2010
Tudór:

According to you, even if the banks pay 10,000 a month, its right as long as the staff agree. . . That is pathetic!

According to me. . . . . ANY ORGANIZATION (not just banks) has the right to determine what it feels it can afford as wages depending on what it considers the value the staff is adding to the organization. . . . . . .as an individual, i have the right to accept a certain amount as salary if i feel it is reasonable and reject if i believe it is beneath me. Shikena!!!

When the banks were declaring massive profits, they were paying what some people called 'armed robber' salaries now they are going through challenges and they need to adapt and the easiest expense line to reduce is staff cost. They either sack or reduce salaries.

If the bank liquidates, EVERYONE will be asked to go home and there won't be any staff left to pay.

Business is not run on sentiments but on common sense and the survival of the organization should supersede that of any individual.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by grabdbull: 5:56pm On Mar 12, 2010
I like it that you are dissatisfied with your current job. This should be the tonic to spur you to greater things. Take action and get a new job as you cannot change the system.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by DrDre1(m): 6:04pm On Mar 12, 2010
@ Tudor
Don't get me wrong o. I'm not saying he shuldn't speak out but do U think doing it on Nairaland will start a revolution? Besides, b4 he started this thread we all knew of issues like this so,
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Akanbiedu(m): 6:11pm On Mar 12, 2010
@Poster. I am sure you know we are going capitalistic and a cardinal principle is demand and supply. not your 21 and first class thing. if you don't like the arrangement, why don't you get out for people who want to work abeg. No need to cry to LABOUR(ayama) those people do not know their right from left only to stir up emotions in people I am sure they can't run a biz successfully.

I thought you knew by now that they biz environment is bad for everybody. You should thank the enterpreneurs if you did a biz before you'll know what I am talking about.

This is not exploitation. it is economics. DEMAND AND SUPPLY.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by elanick(f): 6:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
how do i get hold of the link site or are yyou guys referring to an older post not later than this year?
will be offline now incase do well to text 08059005704
fraudsters be warned!

Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Tudor6(f): 6:29pm On Mar 12, 2010
sharp man:

According to me. . . . . ANY ORGANIZATION (not just banks) has the right to determine what it feels it can afford as wages depending on what it considers the value the staff is adding to the organization. . . . . . .as an individual, i have the right to accept a certain amount as salary if i feel it is reasonable and reject if i believe it is beneath me. Shikena!!!

When the banks were declaring massive profits, they were paying what some people called 'armed robber' salaries now they are going through challenges and they need to adapt and the easiest expense line to reduce is staff cost. They either sack or reduce salaries.

If the bank liquidates, EVERYONE will be asked to go home and there won't be any staff left to pay.

Business is not run on sentiments but on common sense and the survival of the organization should supersede that of any individual.
PUHLEEEEASE! The dude has be working for 25 friggn months. . . LONG before the nigerian banking crises so don't make it out like its just started last week as an austerity measure to beat the crisis.

Like Dr Dre said, its been going on for long.

He is employed as a TRAINEE and used to accomplish the same targets as a full staff. . . . Why not pay him equally what others are paid afterall they do the same job?

Pay a trainee to work as a trainee and a full staff to work as a full staff. . .

This is exploitation pure and simple.

Sorry but the 'rights' don't rest with the employer alone, the worker has a right to be treated and paid fairly. . . Thats why we have Trade unions which are there to fight for the rights of the worker.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by Omolulu(m): 6:45pm On Mar 12, 2010
princekevo:

And you think Nairaland is the right place for him to complain? He should complain to the appropriate quarter and be ready for the consequencies which might be termination of his appointment. If anyone ask him to post his full name, his bank branch and his department to fight for him will he boldly post that here on NL? Whereby he has no boldness to make any differencehe should stop whining or quit. Those calling it slavery should check the definition of slavery again. A slave have no choice to quit even when they dont like their working terms, here is a man who have 100% freedom to quit and search for another job, but chose to whine
end of story, he knows where and who to complain to, i'm sure tudor wud be willing to follow him to his branch to protest breach of contract
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2010
dude i know a lot of proffessionals wo work such long hours, move around in the hot sun during the day, wetin be bonus or watever allowance u pple call it, they recieve 40k flat. pam no jara on top.

dude sorry u finding it so hard for 85k. little do know.
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by ariblaze(m): 7:00pm On Mar 12, 2010
well poster you do have a right to your rant

but remember this, there are people who earn way less than you
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by akonamone(m): 7:46pm On Mar 12, 2010
@ Poster, u must be an ingrate! Over 5,000 peole lost their banking jobs last year. Some of these were even earning less dan ur 85k, but never complained. Look if the pay is not good enough, just quit!!! its simple, do u expect them to pay u 1million naira per month. Hissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by homerac7: 8:07pm On Mar 12, 2010
u sound like an ingrate. throwing senseless tantrums when u can as well resign and go and join thousands of 1st class and 2.1ners that u so much worship that r living on "anything". my friend, do ur job and keep quiet, if u cant, then get the heck autta there! ozuo!
Re: Zenith Bank's Employment by mohid(m): 8:13pm On Mar 12, 2010
First of all banking is setup to make u earn ur pay eventually. Truth be told even the highest paying banks do not pay their ETs any more than 230k a month(ETB,PHB and Oceanic of before) but the thing about banking is that as u go higher u earn more and do less, the way it works is eventually u get paid for all the work u are doing now. Its called experience. That’s why you have GM's earning as much as 30million a year for sending and receiving mails all day, you  would probably be shocked that in Zenith, GM's earn much more than  that(Zenith is one of the highest paying among the upper cadre of staff).
That said, if u intend to build a career in banking stay patient, focused and try to get all necessary certifications and degrees so  can climb into that upper cadre faster and earn more while doing less. If u are like the rest of us just passing through, do Ur thing and leave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Immigration Service To Reinstate 2000 Sacked Personnel / How To Write Good CV With No Work Experience / Pay Our Salary Arrears, Teachers Beg Rivers Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.