Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest (7531 Views)

Four Students Celebrating The End Of WASSCE At Lagos Beach Drown / UNN Suspends Chigozie Obum For Impregnating Four Students Within 4 Years / Adekunle Ajasin University Ondo Shut Down Over Protest. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by FA13(m): 10:49am On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:
Moore police station, so weak a police post.

Whenever they hear about the visit of OAU SU movement towards their direction they just released their students immediately to them grin grin grin

Why capture them if you can not keep them.

If you don't know the song below, and you didn't meet who composed it, don't ever quote me. We have nothing in common

Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife
Scientific Aluta with maturity
Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife

So you are from Ife. Greatest Ife
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Hakeem12(m): 10:55am On Oct 14, 2017
And that ibukun is getting suspended for the second time already. But these guys only protested cos there wasn't light in school last week. I was there when they were being filmed in from of senate building, mehn na so I run commot o, make some idiots no go spoil my career. But seriously those guys shouldn't be suspended.

1 Like

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by deepwater(f): 10:56am On Oct 14, 2017
FA13:

So you are from Ife. Greatest Ife

Sorry I am not, I never said I was.
How did you conclude that?

The way people think shaa
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Hakeem12(m): 10:58am On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:

Whenever they hear about the visit of OAU SU movement towards their direction they just released their students immediately to them grin grin grin

If you don't know the song below, and you didn't meet who composed it, don't ever quote me. We have nothing in common

Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife
Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by deepwater(f): 11:20am On Oct 14, 2017
Hakeem12:
You are looking for my trouble o grin
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by pato255(m): 11:25am On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:

Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife
Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife

deep water, are you a great ife student? just idle curiosity.
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Hakeem12(m): 11:27am On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:
You are looking for my trouble o grin
So you have trouble.
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by deepwater(f): 11:27am On Oct 14, 2017
pato255:

deep water, are you a great ife student? just idle curiosity.

God forbid
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by OAUTemitayo: 11:32am On Oct 14, 2017
The accused students are not criminals.
They only protested poor welfare condition.

1 Like

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by papindinho(m): 11:48am On Oct 14, 2017
youngoptimistic:
Hmm,moral decadency at times land one to peril.....

I am sure the comment you made is bias as it's devoid of all sense of objectivity. You just read a story cooked up by the management in their usual ludicrous manner of victimization and swallowed every bit of it. C'mon. Can students forcefully release fellow students at a police station which has uniform men with guns? That itself is a clear masturbation of logic and moral objectivity.

1 Like

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by papindinho(m): 11:57am On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:

Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife
Great Ife!, Great Ife!
Remain Great Ife

Of course, Great Ife remains Great Ife! The truth of the matter is, the insincerity and nonchalance of the management with total disregard of students' welfare led to the protest in the first place. For more than a week before resumption, no power supply on campus. More so, during this period of blackout, students in College of Health Sciences and Faculty of Pharmacy were busy with exams and we understand the attendant effect of the condemnable and disheartening welfare situation on academic performance.

The management only wants to justify their irresponsibility and the thing is, students only mobilized to the station to solidarity and secure the release of their colleagues and no element of force was recorded nor reported.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by OAUTemitayo: 12:11pm On Oct 14, 2017
It is so unfortunate that even Punch can be so lazy and illogical.
Students only protested the poor welfare conditions of the campus.
For good five days there was no trace of power supply on campus and the management didn't say a single word.
The students protested and they were suspended.
Very shameful and barbaric.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Yungwealth(m): 2:34pm On Oct 14, 2017
Greatmind23:
let me check my name

oh sorry I'm in lautech
chai ...lautech na skul?abi zoo
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Yungwealth(m): 2:45pm On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:

God forbid

common yes or no u no fit ansa ....
u re saying God forbid am sure u re still a jambite or pre-degree student ...see mouth like fish own
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by lagosrd: 5:06pm On Oct 14, 2017
A recipe for another student action. This vice chancellor go soon hear am
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by pato255(m): 5:51pm On Oct 14, 2017
deepwater:

God forbid
God forbid? lol so, which school did you finish from? or which one do you attend?
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by tharaomo(f): 8:07pm On Oct 14, 2017
Great Ife
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by deepwater(f): 8:38pm On Oct 14, 2017
Yungwealth:

common yes or no u no fit ansa ....
u re saying God forbid am sure u re still a jambite or pre-degree student ...see mouth like fish own

I actually meant god forbid you on my mention.
Don't try it again
Never in your life mention/quote my moniker
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Adonis93: 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dats automatically extra year. It pays to face squarely what you came to school for.
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by fam24(f): 1:13pm On Oct 16, 2017
OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY STUDENTS' UNION

Being a Press Statement Issued by Obafemi Awolowo University Students' Union over the Suspension of Some Students of the University, among other issues

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by bad people but the silence over that by the good people"-- Martins Luther King, Jr

The leadership of Obafemi Awolowo University Students' Union and the entire students of the University hereby use this medium to vehemently condemn the illegal and unjustifiable suspension of four undergraduate and two postgraduate students respectively of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife by the University Management.

It is no longer a news that victimisation has always been the barbaric tool in the hands of the University management to decimate the vibrancy of students activists on campus. It is even very appalling that the University management could brand students' peaceful protest and agitation against prevalent poor welfare conditions on campus on the 5th of October, 2017 as "criminal activities". Thus, we want to state categorically that students that are currently on suspension have never committed any criminal offenses as earlier posited by the University authorities. They merely exercised their right to freedom of peaceful demonstration as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as altered) and any attempt to curtail such rights is null and void and of no consequence.

Therefore, it is important to state it clearly and unambiguously that our Union adjures the University management for failing to reasonably improve the general welfare conditions of students on campus which has always been the major reason for students' agitation on campus. Of course, ours is not to lament. Rather, we have summoned every tool of diplomacy and apparatus of intellectualism to ensure that our members are immediately and unconditionally reinstated by the University authorities to avoid a severe confrontation from our Union; as it is commonly said that those who made peaceful revolution impossible will make violent resolution inevitable.

We use this medium to debunk lies and subterfuges that have been made against our members. It must be clearly asserted at this point in time that students only embarked on a peaceful protest and what followed was their indefinite suspension from the University. We cannot allow this injustice to stand as injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

On the foregoing, the Union hereby present our demands which go as follow:

1. We demand immediate and unconditional reinstatement of both undergraduate and postgraduate students that were suspended by the Management of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife

2. We demand an end to era of victimization of students activists on campus on account of expression of their grievances and dissatisfaction over the current state of Obafemi Awolowo University campus

3. We demand the University Management to call the leadership of Postgraduate Hall as well as Great Ife Students' Union to a round table discussion which must lead to quick, immediate and unconditional reinstatement of students on suspension among other issues.

4. We demand the University Management to be more committed to facilitating a holistic improvement in the general welfare conditions of students on campus by ensuring stable supply of water and electricity on campus, standardisation of our laboratories and equipment of the University library with updated books, as well as renovation of existing halls of residence and construction of new ones to decongest the population of students living off campus which is characterized with a very poor security network

5. We charge the Federal Government of Nigeria to be more committed to funding the education sector by approving 26℅ of the total annual budgetary allocation to the sector to raise the general standard of education in the country which will in turn increase productivity, innovation and creativity, development, etc.

6. The Federal Government of Nigeria is also charged to be sincere with their fight against corruption by ensuring that no corrupt politician has a place in this current administration

7. Finally, we demand the Federal Government to gear up their efforts in combating the plagues of poverty, terrorism, diseases (monkey pox) and youth employment in the country.

At this point in time, it should reiterated that Great Ife Students' Union will resist any form of oppressive and draconic tendency of, be it the management of Obafemi Awolowo University or the Federal Government of Nigeria that may want to silence us in raising our voices against deteriorated and degenerated state of our living and learning conditions on OAU campus.

Amandla Awethu!
Nothing Shall Discourage Us!!

Signed:
Okediji Simon
Public Relations Officer, OAU Students' Union

Boluwajaiye Adeoluwa
Secretary General, OAU Students' Union

Oyekan Ibukun Edward
President, OAU Students' Union
Re: OAU Suspends Four Students Over Protest by Yungwealth(m): 2:07pm On Nov 09, 2017
deepwater:

I actually meant god forbid you on my mention. Don't try it again Never in your life mention/quote my moniker

I wnt quote u anymore wen u learn to b mature o stupid

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Deadliest Weapons In The World / My Younger Brother Joined NDA After Graduation From University / "mapouka 101 At Oou" Abeg My Fellow Nairanlanders, True Or False

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.