Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? (1015 Views)

Was God Sent To The Whole World Or Lost Sheep Of Isreal / You Are Never Alone In This World Or Next! How True / A Perfect World Or Heaven. Not Really As Good As You Think (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 10:03am On Oct 14, 2017
My opinion
1. Supporting Religion
Religion is the source of all laws. I
personally believe that without laws such as the Ten Commandments, the world
would be manic and there would be no law or order. Clearly, this would lead to the world becoming extinct as no one would
know that they should "love thy
neighbour as thyself" or never to kill.

2. Against Religion
God has no religion. God has no
political party either. Unless we learn to recognize that we are all children of God, and that we should love each other, the
world will continue to run its course. It's time to throw off the chains of the world. The golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, in all the holy books of every religion, Love is the greatest gift we can give to one another. Love is the true religion, and the only religion of this world.
Share ur own opinion either support or be against religion.

Cc. Felixomor hahn johnydon22 analice107 agentofallah hopefullandlord bloodofthelamb
scienceWatch butterflyl1on jackBizzle mynd44 Lalasticlala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by purem(m): 10:14am On Oct 14, 2017
The same love our Lord have for us his children

And maken his beloveth children to suffer and hid himself in the sky
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by superhumanist(m): 10:21am On Oct 14, 2017
Humanists and many atheists do not want to see religion eradicated. There will always be people with religious beliefs and we cant deny them their rights. The question to ask is if religion is good for the world or human beings.

For me, the disadvantages of religion are more than its advantages.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 10:29am On Oct 14, 2017
From the bloody Christian crusades to todays Islamic terrorists, religion has given
humanity excuses to kill each other over nothing but a make believe story. This is all of course, over different versions of a story with extraordinary claims that contradict everything we see and observe of the real world through science.
Religion provides zero evidence for it's absurd ideas. There is only one species of human ( Homo sapien sapien) on earth yet we are at war because different sides
identify with different tellings of a story of a super powerful being who has not showed himself once (hmmm?).
Many of these arguments are actually politically based but then become tied with religion, and at the point there is no longer any
hope for the argument. Religion teaches us, the world is the world and who are we to question "god." Essentially tells us not to explore, be curious, and question the world we live in. I wonder why? Probably because religion is created by man and it falls apart as soon as we begin to
investigate.
Many religions oppress women. Islam especially but Catholicism as
well, placing the blame of "first sin" on "Eve." If the human species has any hope, we have to abandon such absurd ideas. It
holds us back and often results in
violence. There are people out there right know, who want to kill me and would given the chance, simply because I don't believe what they do.
This is disturbing. I embrace logic, science, and idea's that morals should be based on the desire for coexistence and peace, not fear of hell. But because I don't believe in this imaginary
fellow "God/Alllah/Yahweh," whatever you like, people want to kill me.
It absolutely boggles my mind. This is easy for me because I am privileged. I have a comfortable life and am educated, so I don't need religion as a coping
mechanism. If we want world peace it will start with educating (and FAIRLY
educating, not some bias to any religion like creationism) the global population.
Teaching people to question and to be critical. Maybe it won't completely lead to the dissolve of religion, but it would help.
Bottom line, religion is disturbing and it is incomprehensible that some people believe it.

1 Like

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 10:34am On Oct 14, 2017
lalasticlala this is front page material ooohh
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 10:39am On Oct 14, 2017
Fleewpeed small small u dey vex oohh
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by DeSepiero(m): 10:45am On Oct 14, 2017
Religion shouldn't be eliminated. Rather, people should practice whichever religion that suites them privately in a way that doesn't negatively influence or deprive others of their fundamental rights. Also governments (state) should remain secular or neutral. Government involvement could cause discrimination and conflicts.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Nobody: 10:47am On Oct 14, 2017
sad
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 10:47am On Oct 14, 2017
DeSepiero:
Religion shouldn't be eliminated. Rather, people should practice whichever religion that suites them privately in a way that doesn't negatively influence or deprive others of their fundamental rights. Also governments (state) should remain secular or neutral on such issues. Government involvement could cause discrimination and conflicts.
seconded

1 Like

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Martinez19(m): 11:09am On Oct 14, 2017
Religion is a hindrance to truth and progress of human specie. We don't know the value of the truth.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 12:20pm On Oct 14, 2017
Samsimple:
Fleewpeed small small u dey vex oohh
there is still more to say loading..
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by johnydon22(m): 12:20pm On Oct 14, 2017
Samsimple:
My opinion
1. Supporting Religion
Religion is the source of all laws. I
personally believe that without laws such as the Ten Commandments, the world
would be manic and there would be no law or order. Clearly, this would lead to the world becoming extinct as no one would

Religion is not the source of all Laws. order, rules and laws are intrinsic products of the society. Religion is rather a recent inclusion in human societal structure and laws and social organisations predates that.

The first known laws are rather more cultural and political than it is religious. Religious laws if followed to the every point would see us commit actions that today we would find grossly abhorable.

2. Against Religion
political party either. Unless we learn to recognize that we are all children of God, and that we should love each other, the
world will continue to run its course. It's time to throw off the chains of the world. The golden rule, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, in all the holy books of every religion, Love is the greatest gift we can give to one another. Love is the true religion, and the only religion of this world.

Hate and Love are both human emotions, we are prone to both so i doubt either can really rule absolutely. Humanism i think presents a better approach towards moral outlook independent of selfish clutches or religious coercions.

Religious laws or even political laws mandates humans to follow a certain standards because of God or in case of political laws because of the punishments the contrary action would attract, so we follow these laws not because we want to follow them but because we want to Obey God or avoid punishment.

Humanism on the other hand replaces God/punishment and reward with humans. Humanity becomes the greatest good and not God, do not give alms to the poor because of God, do it because of humans. they are humans and you are too, do it because it is vital for our collective survival as a specie.

Humanism is not obedience conformity driven but empathy driven and humans being at the peak of this empathy.

I do think though that religion is important, humans are never same in our thinking and in our deeds, for intuitive thinkers religion is the best tool for world-views and societal shaping, for analytical thinkers humanism may water the garden.

To the religious, religion forms the glass from which they look at life so in some sense religion to the religious is inseparable from life

I say none must be abolished, we need the colours and values of religion just as much as we need that of every other enterprise.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 12:21pm On Oct 14, 2017
Martinez19:
Religion is a hindrance to truth and progress of human specie. We don't know the value of the truth.
pls what is the truth if i may ask
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 12:23pm On Oct 14, 2017
johnydon22:

Religion is not the source of all Laws. order, rules and laws are intrinsic products of the society. Religion is rather a recent inclusion in human societal structure and laws and social organisations predates that.

The first known laws a rather more cultural and political than it is religious. Religious laws if followed to the every point would see us commit actions that today we would find grossly abhorable.

Hate and Love are both human emotions, we are prone to both so i doubt either can really rule absolutely. Humanism i think presents a better approach towards moral outlook independent of selfish clutches or religious coercions.

Religious laws or even political laws mandates humans to follow a certain standards because of God or in case of political laws because of the punishments the contrary action would attract, so we follow these laws not because we want to follow them but because we want to Obey God or avoid punishment.

Humanism on the other hand replaces God/punishment and reward with humans. Humanity becomes the greatest good and not God, do not give alms to the poor because of God, do it because of humans. they are humans and you are too, do it because it is vital for our collective survival as a specie.

Humanism is not obedience conformity driven but empathy driven and humans being at the peak of this empathy.

I do think though that religion is important, humans are never same in our thinking and in our deeds, for intuitive thinkers religion is the best tool for world-views and societal shaping, for analytical thinkers humanism may water the garden.

To the religious, religion forms the glass from which they look at life so in some sense religion to the religious is inseparable from life

I say none must be abolished, we need the colours and values of religion just as much as we need that of every other enterprise.
i wouldnt agree more

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Martinez19(m): 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2017
Fleewpeed:

pls what is the truth if i may ask
do you have a dictionary, check the meaning of truth.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 12:38pm On Oct 14, 2017
johnydon22:

religion has been a subject for critism for centuries i think thats what some people needs its existance for
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 12:40pm On Oct 14, 2017
Martinez19:
how about checking it up 4 him
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by AgentOfAllah: 1:03pm On Oct 14, 2017
Samsimple:
My opinion
1. Supporting Religion
Religion is the source of all laws.
Is this so?

I personally believe that without laws such as the Ten Commandments, the world
So before the 10 commandments, people didn't know not to kill each other?
And why do you think "love thy neighbour as thyself" is meaningful in any practical way? Show me a person who loves their neighbours as themselves and I'll show you a liar!

2. Against Religion
world will continue to run its course.
Society does not need god to function. Society needs authority. Society, in the past, vested this authority in an invisible entity presumed to have agency and purpose, called god; whose arbitrary instructions could only be accessed by a few lucky individuals who then disseminated the instructions to the rest of the populace. However, this god experiment has clearly failed, seeing how society is increasingly becoming secular by the day. No surprises there either: The authority of an invisible entity begins to unravel when the promised consequences of violating the instructions are just as invisible. Another reason why the value of such an authority wanes is because these instructions, once codified as the immutable commands of god, they become fossilised, whereas, societies continue to evolve so that in most cases, the commands are no longer capable of addressing the challenges of the modern era. Simply put, religious laws don't evolve quick enough to serve any long term benefits.

On the other hand, as authority shifts more towards secular principles, we have began to see more methodical laws pass, without recourse to an invisible authority with ineffectual powers. Also, these laws evolve at almost the same pace as the societies they serve, ensuring there are no unpleasant after effects from forcing square pegs into round holes.

In summary, eliminating religion has no bearing on how the world turns out. However, detaching it from governance through the spread of secular principles will most definitely improve the human condition.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by johnydon22(m): 1:17pm On Oct 14, 2017
Samsimple:

religion has been a subject for critism for centuries i think thats what some people needs its existance for

As a subject to be criticized?
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 1:23pm On Oct 14, 2017
johnydon22:

As a subject to be criticized?
yeah
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 7:23pm On Oct 14, 2017
Though people say Religion brings harmony and love, it actually doesn't! People hate each other just because of the differences in their religions.They go on complaining about each other and in the end without their own knowledge they are leading the way to another war or fight!! What we must do in the future is not practice this false beliefs instead we should teach our future generations to avoid all types of these racism due to religions!

1 Like

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 7:27pm On Oct 14, 2017
Martinez19:
the state of being true to someone
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2017
Fleewpeed:
Though people say Religion brings harmony and love, it actually doesn't! People hate each other just because of the differences in their religions.They go on complaining about each other and in the end without their own knowledge they are leading the way to another war or fight!! What we must do in the future is not practice this false beliefs instead we should teach our future generations to avoid all types of these racism due to religions!
bros u really mean religion oohh
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 7:32pm On Oct 14, 2017
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 2:13am On Oct 15, 2017
Samsimple:
bros u really mean religion oohh
religion has done more harm than good in this world
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Fleewpeed: 2:16am On Oct 15, 2017
We do not need religion, in fact religion dictates our everyday lives, religion binds us, it's an invincible chain that restricts us, in other words; religion is communism.
Some of them might see it as an escape from reality, to find tranquility or to find someone to blame caused by the trials in their lives but for me, to believe in one true god is not through religion but it’s in one’s heart because In my eyes, religions serves only as a chain of command that governs humanity in which I don’t like since I never followed the rules unless it’s reasonable or someone to have authority over me but I only consider it only if they're just.
Lesson; You do not need religion to guide you to become a better person, you yourself can do that if you have self-control per se even if you're a religious person, at least open your mind and do not become on of those ignorant zealots which according to their logic; considers themselves above all and always right even in wrong circumstances, and even if they're proven wrong, they'll just use god as an excuse to shove away their butt hurt feelings.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 7:09am On Oct 15, 2017
Hmm
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by ebenice(m): 7:39am On Oct 15, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Is this so?

So before the 10 commandments, people didn't know not to kill each other?
And why do you think "love thy neighbour as thyself" is meaningful in any practical way? Show me a person who loves their neighbours as themselves and I'll show you a liar!

Society does not need god to function. Society needs authority. Society, in the past, vested this authority in an invisible entity presumed to have agency and purpose, called god; whose arbitrary instructions could only be accessed by a few lucky individuals who then disseminated the instructions to the rest of the populace. However, this god experiment has clearly failed, seeing how society is increasingly becoming secular by the day. No surprises there either: The authority of an invisible entity begins to unravel when the promised consequences of violating the instructions are just as invisible. Another reason why the value of such an authority wanes is because these instructions, once codified as the immutable commands of god, they become fossilised, whereas, societies continue to evolve so that in most cases, the commands are no longer capable of addressing the challenges of the modern era. Simply put, religious laws don't evolve quick enough to serve any long term benefits.

On the other hand, as authority shifts more towards secular principles, we have began to see more methodical laws pass, without recourse to an invisible authority with ineffectual powers. Also, these laws evolve at almost the same pace as the societies they serve, ensuring there are no unpleasant after effects from forcing square pegs into round holes.

In summary, eliminating religion has no bearing on how the world turns out. However, detaching it from governance through the spread of secular principles will most definitely improve the human condition.
so if elimination of religion has no bearing on how the world turns out help me analyse this scenario

Israel vs her neighbours
Majority of Israelis are Jews, practicing Judaism..then the largely minority Muslims and christians. Now..if this wasn't the case..supposing Israel is a muslim caliphate like Iran Iraq Saudi Arabia Yemen and the others who are 90+% Muslims,

1- do u think there would have been regular conflicts? Viz avis Gaza, west bank etc which has been the mask behind the regular conflicting views in the region?

2- would US have made an Ally out of Israel pouring billions ? The US know exactly why it us doing all that

Truth is religious views indeed shape the world.

Another fact. The big bang theory and other scientific research couldn't give a vivid and accurate detail about how life started..but religion like Judaism, Christianity Islam brought a more thorough detail " creation" which till date have not been totally disrepute no matter how science tried

Ofcos just like all other theories..economic,political and what have you had their own short comings, Religion has equally had it own fair share..

And in saying religious laws doesn't evolve with the times...well it may be true..as No "God" would want to see His laws changed..it will be term rebellion..but neither would our secular laws be treated with levity if broken.

The LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF is forever the best suitable law of all times

But I believe more blame lies in us human and not religion...the Animal kingdom don't do religion yet they have been existing till date..it is we humans that keep interfering in their affairs.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by AgentOfAllah: 8:29am On Oct 15, 2017
ebenice:
so if elimination of religion has no bearing on how the world turns out help me analyse this scenario
Israel vs her neighbours
Majority of Israelis are Jews, practicing Judaism..then the largely minority Muslims and christians. Now..if this wasn't the case..supposing Israel is a muslim caliphate like Iran Iraq Saudi Arabia Yemen and the others who are 90+% Muslims,

1- do u think there would have been regular conflicts? Viz avis Gaza, west bank etc which has been the mask behind the regular conflicting views in the region?

2- would US have made an Ally out of Israel pouring billions ? The US know exactly why it us doing all that

Truth is religious views indeed shape the world.
Valid points! Religious views presently shape the world, no doubt. However, my argument stems from the conviction that pretty much all global conflicts, historical and modern, are for the control of resources. Religion has merely served as the rallying cry that masks that stark reality. So, what I meant by my statement is that forcing people to eschew religion wouldn't do anything to address the elementary cause of crises because we'd probably just find new masks (such as tribe, skin colour, social class, etc) to fight the same old wars. As such, eliminating religion or any other rallying ideology wouldn't change the world as it is, however, embracing secular principles will unmask our true nature, maybe humble us, and then shame us into negotiating with each other based, not on silly ideologies and false senses of entitlement, but, on rational pragmatism.

Another fact. The big bang theory and other scientific research couldn't give a vivid and accurate detail about how life started..but religion like Judaism, Christianity Islam brought a more thorough detail " creation" which till date have not been totally disrepute no matter how science tried
Vividness or thoroughness do not independently translate to accuracy. Game of Thrones is a very vivid and thorough story. That doesn't make it factual. So, even if religious accounts were thorough - a claim which I vehemently dispute, considering the staggering amount of errors, illogicalities and contradictions they promote - I don't know that they are accurate. Thus, I do not feel a need to disprove them. Only proven things can be disproved!

Ofcos just like all other theories..economic,political and what have you had their own short comings, Religion has equally had it own fair share..
Yes it does!

And in saying religious laws doesn't evolve with the times...well it may be true..as No "God" would want to see His laws changed..it will be term rebellion..but neither would our secular laws be treated with levity if broken.
Why not? It wouldn't be rebellion if the "god" changed its own laws to adapt to present human situation, would it?

The LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF is forever the best suitable law of all times
It's a stupid and unrealistic law! No one has ever, and will ever love their neighbours as themselves. If so, you'd gift to your neighbour everything you acquire for yourself out of self love. If you can convince me that your neighbour drives the same car as you, lives in the same house as you, eats the same food as you, and gets half of your income, then I am willing to relent on my scepticism.

But I believe more blame lies in us human and not religion...the Animal kingdom don't do religion yet they have been existing till date..it is we humans that keep interfering in their affairs.
Yes, I agree with you. Maybe even go one step further and not blame religion at all! War is human nature, but so is peace, shame, love, happiness, sadness and all attendant complexities ever expressed by humans. Once we identify our admirable and despicable traits, maximising our admirable ones and minimizing our despicable ones becomes a little bit easier.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 8:52am On Oct 15, 2017
Agentofallah the summary of what you are saying is man can't do without religion and vice versa
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by AgentOfAllah: 8:58am On Oct 15, 2017
Samsimple:
Agentofallah the summary of what you are saying is man can't do without religion and vice versa
Not quite! Man certainly can do without religion. I have done without it for years. But it is not really important that he does! What's important is to vest the collective authority, not in religion, but in secular principles.
Re: Would Eliminating Religion Improve The World Or Worsen It? by Samsimple(m): 10:01am On Oct 15, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

Not quite! Man certainly can do without religion. I have done without it for years. But it is not really important that he does! What's important is to vest the collective authority, not in religion, but in secular principles.
true

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did God Let My Mum Die Despite Prayer / Mercy Chinwo – Excess Love / 27 Dead After Drinking Bleach To Exorcise Demons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.