Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,809 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? (810 Views)

Is It True That When Women Have More Money They No Longer Regard Their Husband / HOw Do African Youths Deal With The Numerous Bills From Family And Friends? / Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by boookworm: 8:37am On Oct 15, 2017
I've grown to notice that giving or taking from an african parent with a left hand is regarded as disrespect. I really wanna know why. Cos i think the left hand is just as useful as the right one.
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by amnesty7: 8:38am On Oct 15, 2017
boookworm:
I've grown to notice that giving or taking from an african parent with a left hand is regarded as disrespect. I really wanna know why. Cos i think the left hand is just as useful as the right one.
Not really African but Islamic to me. Taking, giving, eating, handshake, etc all with the right while still acknowledging the usefulness of the left hand as a precious Divine gift.
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by Hashimyussufamao(m): 8:48am On Oct 15, 2017
in yoruba left hand is called "owo osi" do u know the meaning of osi? that's poverty lol, may be thats why
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by DarkRebel69: 9:30am On Oct 15, 2017
Cultural stupidity is why.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by uboma(m): 12:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
illiteracy and lack of exposure.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by boookworm: 1:12pm On Oct 15, 2017
uboma:
illiteracy and lack of exposure.
I've always thought so too

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by boookworm: 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
amnesty7:

Not really African but Islamic to me. Taking, giving, eating, handshake, etc all with the right while still acknowledging the usefulness of the left hand as a precious Divine gift.
If the left hand is just as useful as the right, then i see no reason why the left hand is treated with such disgust.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by boookworm: 1:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
I had this neighbour, whenever u take anything from her with a left hand en, her frown alone can send u to ur grave
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by ImaIma1(f): 1:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
Maybe because they don't think it is God that also created the left hand.
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by boookworm: 2:05pm On Oct 15, 2017
ImaIma1:
Maybe because they don't think it is God that also created the left hand.
Hahahahaha. Funny
Re: Why Do African Parents Regard Left Hand As Disrespect? by daveP(m): 12:38am On Oct 16, 2017
I've been 'schooling' elderlies with style. My 'argument' has been convincing judging by their reactions. The foolish ones amongst them try to cloud under the usual 'what an elder says is final' grin

Like one that fought his lefty writing son that was a genius at school. Even took it up spiritually. The boy is a blessing where his father's source dried.

(1) (Reply)

Skywhite Drycleaners, Laundry And Cleaning Services / Sincerity Crashed His Mum Marriage-andy Akhigbe / Cousin Sister Dead, Hours After Deportation From Libya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.