Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

6 Fitness Foods To Help You Get In Shape Faster - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 6 Fitness Foods To Help You Get In Shape Faster (358 Views)

Five Foods To Eat When You Are Constipated / Here Are Foods That Can Make You Age Faster / 7 Reasons Why Most Nigerian Ladies Lose Shape After Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Fitness Foods To Help You Get In Shape Faster by Princephelar(m): 10:27am On Oct 18, 2017
Eats for athletes

As a sports nutritionist, I’m always on the lookout for research about how various foods can enhance athletic performance, speed recovery, and build muscle mass. When I pass this info on to my clients, they often feel the effects quickly, and I relish remarks they share like, “Wow, what a difference!” or “I feel 10 years younger.” Here are 11 foods currently on my “eats for athletes” list, the research behind why they deserve a place on your training table, and simple, healthy ways to take advantage of their benefits.

Beet juice for stamina

Recent research shows that this ruby red root veggie may be more effective at boosting energy than caffeine, or nearly anything you’ll find in the supplement aisle. When UK researchers asked male athletes to down either 16 ounces of organic beetroot juice or a placebo, those who gulped the real thing cycled for up to 16% longer, an effect scientists say isn’t achievable by any other known means, including training. To bolster your performance, invest in a juicer and grab some fresh beets, which are in season year-round. Or look for bottled beet juice, which can be sipped straight or blended into a Pre – workout smoothie.

Honey for endurance

Research conducted at the University of Memphis Exercise and Sport Nutrition Laboratory found that consuming honey before exercise provides “time-released” fuel to give athletes steady blood sugar and insulin levels over a long

Pea protein to delay muscle fatigue

Pea protein powder has been generating serious buzz in the sports nutrition community for some time now. The reason: it’s rich in branched chain amino acids, compounds that have been shown to delay fatigue during exercise. The arginine in this powder (which is made from yellow peas) has also been shown to enhance immunity, while the lysine boosts calcium absorption and decreases calcium losses to help maintain strong bones. One scoop can pack more than 25 grams of lean protein, which can be whipped into a smoothie along with almond milk, a dollop of almond butter, cinnamon, and frozen cherries or berries.

Blueberries to reduce inflammation

To test the anti-inflammatory and recovery effects of blueberries, researchers at Appalachian State University recruited well-trained athletes and fed them about 9 ounces of blueberries daily for six weeks, plus another 13 ounces an hour before a two-and a-half-hour run. The results were impressive. In addition to a reduction in inflammation, blueberry eaters experienced a boost in natural killer cells, a type of white blood cell that plays a vital role in immunity. When fresh blueberries aren’t practical, reach for dried or freeze dried options to stash in your gym bag.

Tart cherries to fight pain and regain strength

At the University of Vermont’s Human Performance Laboratory, researchers asked men to drink either 12 ounces of a tart cherry juice blend or a placebo twice daily for eight days. On the fourth day of the study, the athletes completed a strenuous strength-training routine. Two weeks later, the opposite beverage was provided, and the training was repeated. Scientists found that the cherry juice had a significant effect on pain reduction. In addition, strength loss averaged 22% in the placebo group compared to just 4% in the cherry group. Fresh tart cherries are only in season in late summer, but frozen and dried options are becoming easier to find, as is 100% tart cherry juice.

Source: https://mbasic.facebook.com/sterlingdrugs

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Admission Into Nursing At Philippines, Work And Leave In Usa. / Handle Your HBP Naturally / How To Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.