Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:24 AM

Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? (3414 Views)

Modenine Ft Proverb - Promode - Download Here / Top 5 Best Rappers In Nigeria / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by Nobody: 10:35am On Mar 14, 2010
I think some of these our Nigerian rappers are overhyped.they are not as Good as
HHP and Proverb of Southafrica. The only Rapper in Nigeria that stands head and shoulders above them all
Is none other than Mode nine. What do you think ??
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 10:41am On Mar 14, 2010
What do I think? I think you are wasting your time and the forum's bandwidth over something that is a case of "One man's meat is another man's poison".

Just because you think they are the best, do not necessarily make them one. Thread like this do nothing but allow bickering from all sides. Good luck.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by Nobody: 10:49am On Mar 14, 2010
@ElRazur , since you have refused to be normal.
I think you are correct.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by javalove(m): 10:50am On Mar 14, 2010
ElRazur:

What do I think? I think you are wasting your time and the forum's bandwidth over something that is a case of "One man's meat is another man's poison".

Just because you think they are the best, do not necessarily make them one. Thread like this do nothing but allow bickering from all sides. Good luck.

he has a right 2 his opinion

@poster

Have u heared PROMODE. . ? thats a track Proverb featured Modenine on. . and here is what Proverb has to say about the track

Easily the collaboration of the century, from Kimberley to Nigeria I had to get the illest emcee in the continent my boy: ModeNine to blaze this one. Taken off the classic “Write of Passage” Feel free to drop your thoughts, comments and/or quotes!

So do the math. . .!

#Javalove. . unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by aldon: 10:53am On Mar 14, 2010
pheeeew! *yeye thread*
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by javalove(m): 10:56am On Mar 14, 2010
aldon:

pheeeew! *yeye thread*

den let this b ur last post on this thread

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . !
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 10:59am On Mar 14, 2010
Javalove, please point out why I said he do not have right to his opinion?

Off course, everyone have an opinion, however some opinions are not worth engaging. For example, my mum cooks better than your mother, or my father's is more hard-working than yours etc are just silly discussion. This kind of thread is one of them. Same goes for all those "who is better Biggie Or Pac" type of question.

At the end, you hardly convince anyone - what is the point?
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2010
@topic
I listened to one of Proverb's old albums, Manuscript . . . he's got sick lyrics and he's delivery is quite commendable.
Should K'naan be considered African??

@Elrazur
What you call baseless bickering, is a major part of hiphop on online forums.
One person says this, the other person says why he thinks his opinion should be taken into consideration.

At the end of the day we influence the lay reader to pick who we think is better after weighing points from both sides.
It helps contemporary African music.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 11:19am On Mar 14, 2010
eldee:

@Elrazur
One person says this, the other person says why he thinks his opinion should be taken into consideration.

At the end of the day we influence the lay reader to pick who we think is better after weighing points from both sides.

All forms of communications are blabbering and in some ways bickering apparently. So yeah you have a point. Only that in my experience in years of using forums - a long time trust me - You hardly change the mind of someone who already have their mind made up one way or the other. Allow me to use myself as an example. When it comes to Biggie and Pac, I am of the opinion that Pac wins hands-down. Nothing people will say is about to influence that. While I am not close-minded or ignorant, I just do not think anyone can convince me otherwise. I think that is the perspective am speaking from as per threads like this.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 14, 2010
@eldee
K'naan is s Somali - Canadian rapper , he gew up mostly in ontario
He does not play in the African league for now.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 12:07pm On Mar 14, 2010
ElRazur:

All forms of communications are blabbering and in some ways bickering apparently. So yeah you have a point. Only that in my experience in years of using forums - a long time trust me - You hardly change the mind of someone who already have their mind made up one way or the other. Allow me to use myself as an example. When it comes to Biggie and Pac, I am of the opinion that Pac wins hands-down. Nothing people will say is about to influence that. While I am not close-minded or ignorant, I just do not think anyone can convince me otherwise. I think that is the perspective am speaking from as per threads like this.

Well I usually come to forums with an relatively open mind hoping that I can learn a thing or two.
If I see that another person is giving a stronger and more confusing argument, I tend to accept his/her strong points.
I think that's how we should approach forums . . . I learnt so much about Nigerian hiphop from here.

Besides, remember that some people don't even have a prerogative on the topic to start from . . . so this bickering if done properly could help inform people now and in the future . . . especially as the debates are archived.

Come on . . . you know bickering could be fun.
ferari90:

@eldee
K'naan is s Somali - Canadian rapper , he gew up mostly in ontario
He does not play in the African league for now.

Hmmn . . . maybe, but his themes are Somalian, besides didn't Modenine grow up in the UK??
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by Toosleek: 12:08pm On Mar 14, 2010
@ferrari i think the mr. Incredible MI is actually overkillin' it at d moment.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by tavarez(f): 12:36pm On Mar 14, 2010
na wa for ferrari ohh, everytime i come on nairaland i must see one new stupid senseless post, you are nigerian, guy i love double hp more dan you even Zubz,Prokid,Optical illusions and all the south African Lyriscists i can ever lay my hands on.so please wat do u know that HHP is always saying? i listen to him cuz i love music and not cuz i can decipher his lines or understand his lingo except wen he switches to english, Proverb on His own,is in a class of his own which i really think hes one of the best out the continent,but i surely dont think hes better that MODE 9.i saw Mode Kick a Freestyle with Proverb and the American Rapper Wordsworth,and they really mashed things up, Brings me to my saying now dat .the issue of Who is Better doesnt arise in Cross Border ratings, cuz most south African emcees if not all add some touch of vernacular to thier stuff

eldee:

Come on . . . you know bickering could be fun.
Hmmn . . . maybe, but his themes are Somalian, besides didn't Modenine grow up in the UK??

emm knaans Themes are African, not all somalian, though he raps about home too but hes been a refugee since the age of 6 in Canada and later moved to NYC so hes not ballin in the African league, he is just as Somalian as Wale,Chiwetel Ejoifor and chamillionaire

Mode was born in UK but came home quite early and had all schooling in naija from sixth form

WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE

#nowplaying Modenine-Lime-Light
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 1:23pm On Mar 14, 2010
tavarez:

emm knaans Themes are African, not all somalian, though he raps about home too but hes been a refugee since the age of 6 in Canada and later moved to NYC so hes not ballin in the African league, he is just as Somalian as Wale,Chiwetel Ejoifor and chamillionaire

And you felt the need to say he has some African themes because . . .??
Sometimes it's irrelevant things you say that just make me laugh.

IMO opinion, K'naan is more African that Modenine and Proverb.
Why?? Your guess is as good as mine.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by tavarez(f): 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2010
its so funny eldee how my views are irrelevant to you and den yours is relevant to everyone else, well in my opinion Knaan aint more African that anybody man, Dude is just Rapping about his challenges in Africa and as A refugee guy all his themes are African but in this context we were talking about here ,hes not an "African", you asked wether K naan should be considered African as in classified as an African Emcee and the simple answer is NO, K naan might be rapping about Africa but even his accent and delivery everyone knows dont sound African and the first day i heard Knaan in Soobax,despite the Grimy video,his dressing and outlook, i still thot it was another conscious American rapper that just wants to Identify with His Roots, till i got to research him and why is that, HE DONT SOUND AFRICAN,

eldee na wa for you ohh , sometimes u dey make me marvel

STILL ON DAT LOVE Poo

#nowplaying Illbliss Feat Durella Leader
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 2:22pm On Mar 14, 2010
Dude . . . what I found irrelevant was you saying . . . 'his themes are not Somalian, they're African'.
Isn't that just unnecessarily baseless??

And about if he's African . . . how African can a song get?? How can you say Sooboax didn't sound African??
If you listened to a song like that and say Contradiction/Promode/I Am Hiphop sounds more African than that then there's sumn wrong with you.
Delivery?? He was speaking in his local Somalian tongue!!! My dayzz!!!!

Jesus wept!!!
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 2:32pm On Mar 14, 2010
Maybe I'm being bias because I'm a big fan of his but I'll let Nairaland judge.
Please anyone tell me if this song doesn't sound African to you.

Is it me or does anyone believe that a song that's titled Soobax, filmed in Somalia, with African drums, with a rapper speaking a language that's obviously Somalian and rapping about Mogadishu at least sounds African to say the least??

[flash=450,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t5l31IVkC4&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by tavarez(f): 4:43pm On Mar 14, 2010
his mother toungue was only on the hook, no dey do like say na only u get ear, listen to E 4Os Server on youtube with a Yoruba Hook and English raps,,, shey that makes him African toooo

jesus is still weeping sef cry cry cry

he doest even sound like an African really, "put a hole in an emcee like Cherrios", shey Ajegunle children know wat dat one is, even in somalia who eats cherrios on the street., guy anybody can sample vernacular choruses or multi-Lingual one and that was what Soobax struck me as,

really listen to Server by e 40

WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE

#nowplaying _E40 Server
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by rapjunkie(m): 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2010
ElRazur:

Javalove, please point out why I said he do not have right to his opinion?

Off course, everyone have an opinion, however some opinions are not worth engaging. For example, my mum cooks better than your mother, or my father's is more hard-working than yours etc are just silly discussion. This kind of thread is one of them. Same goes for all those "who is better Biggie Or Pac" type of question.

At the end, you hardly convince anyone - what is the point?

ElRazur:

sometimes i wonder how many brain cells u really have   

Please read this. . .

eldee:

@Elrazur

everybody has a right to express an opinion . . . . .if u r so narrow minded that u will never consider another persons point of view. . . .  .goodluck to u
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 5:31pm On Mar 14, 2010
rapjunkie:

sometimes i wonder how many brain cells u really have   

Whatever it is, I am sure it is more than yours.

Anyone with half a brain can see that I already stated that I am not saying he cannot state an opinion or express one. I also stated that I am not close minded and I gave reasons.  But I guess you left those out on purpose.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 5:56pm On Mar 14, 2010
@ElRazur
You're into beats . . . I have a gift for you.
I've got a mixtape of K'naan and J. Period rapping over Fela's beats. . . sick. grin grin

tavarez:

his mother toungue was only on the hook, no dey do like say na only u get ear, listen to E 4Os Server on youtube with a Yoruba Hook and English raps,,, shey that makes him African toooo

jesus is still weeping sef cry cry cry

he doest even sound like an African really, "put a hole in an emcee like Cherrios", shey Ajegunle children know wat dat one is, even in somalia who eats cherrios on the street., guy anybody can sample vernacular choruses or multi-Lingual one and that was what Soobax struck me as,

really listen to Server by e 40

WE DO IT FOR THE LOVE

#nowplaying _E40 Server

Lalaboi said I should leave some topics . . . but this one just amazes me.
He actually raps in a Somali language in one of the verses . . . WTF are you saying.
You like to be intentionally stupid sometimes.

Modenine/M.I/Proverb rap in English 90% of the time . . . this guy raps in a Somali language on an African beat and shoots a video and you say it doesn't sound African??

I give up on you.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 5:57pm On Mar 14, 2010
You owe me a link. grin
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:02pm On Mar 14, 2010
Yeah, all system are go. **thumbs up**. smiley
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 6:06pm On Mar 14, 2010
Just sent you the link . . .
I think they paid more attention to respecting Fela than they did to rapping.
They worked hard not to remove the Fela from the songs . . . unlike where other rappers would have altered the background beats.

Sometimes it was hard to hear K'naan's voice.

Tell me what you think.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:09pm On Mar 14, 2010
The above message was for you. grin

Yeah am on it now. Thanks.

Just finished downloading. I have about 39 tracks just in one folder. Man, that is a lot of good stuff. cool
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 6:13pm On Mar 14, 2010
ElRazur:

Yeah, all system are go.  **thumbs up**. smiley
You've gotta love their remix of 'Open & Close'.
The part where Fela went 'I want to tell you a story, no be story oh' . . . they put in a biography of Fela starting with 'This is a story of Fela . . .'
Feel the artistic irony. grin grin

ElRazur:

Yeah am on it now. Thanks.

Just finished downloading. I have about 39 tracks just in one folder. Man, that is a lot of good stuff. cool
You downloaded everything?? You too like better thing grin grin
I loved the Bob Dylan one.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:23pm On Mar 14, 2010
eldee:

You've gotta love their remix of 'Open & Close'.
The part where Fela went 'I want to tell you a story, no be story oh' . . . they put in a biography of Fela starting with 'This is a story of Fela . . .'
Feel the artistic irony. grin grin
You downloaded everything?? You too like better thing grin grin
I loved the Bob Dylan one.

That is some good track. It is the first one am listening to. I love how the story unfolds. cool This is what I am always talking about. You are right, they did retain the feel to it - i.e never destroyed a classic.

Yes o. Lol. 18 megs of internet speed, I might as well make good use of it. cool

Gonna whip out the Sony Walkman and drag them in now. Thanks. I will post a more indepth view, but so far I like what am hearing. cool cool

PS
Gosh I love their "Hausa like" accent. grin cool
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:27pm On Mar 14, 2010
Omo bad arse flow. I like it. smiley I love how they blend the Afro beat with Mordern hiphop sounds. . . . Smooth. cool cool
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:29pm On Mar 14, 2010
OMG "I'm Africa's Bruce Lee. . . . ."

I am not denying that so far. cool
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 6:35pm On Mar 14, 2010
@ElRazur
I saw you blocked post.

I know . . . it's kinda hard to do that, I was led to believe it was impossible.
After years of watching rappers destroy classics . . . Jay-Z on Forever Young, Can't Forget About You . . . you kind of start thinking it's impossible to do a good tribute song.
It's so good that each time I listen to this I feel like bringing out my Fela Collection.

So you spotted the Hausa-ish accent, some people on Nairaland will argue to death that he's not African enough grin grin

ElRazur:

OMG "I'm Africa's Bruce Lee. . . . ."

I am not denying that so far. cool
Hehehe . . . I'll soon infect you with the K'naan bug.
When you're done with this, remind me to send you his two studio albums.
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by ElRazur: 6:52pm On Mar 14, 2010
eldee:

@ElRazur
I saw you blocked post.

I know . . . it's kinda hard to do that, I was led to believe it was impossible.
After years of watching rappers destroy classics . . . Jay-Z on Forever Young, Can't Forget About You . . . you kind of start thinking it's impossible to do a good tribute song.
It's so good that each time I listen to this I feel like bringing out my Fela Collection.

So you spotted the Hausa-ish accent, some people on Nairaland will argue to death that he's not African enough grin grin
Hehehe . . . I'll soon infect you with the K'naan bug.
When you're done with this, remind me to send you his two studio albums.

Yeah I see what you mean. Many great songs have been destroyed completely with remakes and what not. This one feels like Fela was actually alive when it was done.

Yeah the accent was in the intro. Anyone from Somalia is probably more african than someone from Nigeria. Why? Because they live a life of struggle than us. lol.

Omo please pump my veins full of his music. Tomorrow is a busy day as I get induction and what not. If it isn't too much trouble I no go mind make I get the other links too.

Just on a side note, the blended Fela with Malcolm X. That is some crazy idea there. I wonder who produced the album. It is a very good work of Production, Sampling, Sound engineering etc.

I just hope the Bot don't pick on my post again. undecided **Copies this one just in case**
Re: Are Hip Hop Pantsula And Proverb Are Better Than Nigeria Rappers?? by eldee(m): 7:06pm On Mar 14, 2010
ElRazur:

Yeah I see what you mean. Many great songs have been destroyed completely with remakes and what not. This one feels like Fela was actually alive when it was done.

I know . . . this is not the fault of the rappers, it's the producers.
A producer like J. Period pays respect to the ideas that spurred the original artiste.

ElRazur:

Omo please pump my veins full of his music. Tomorrow is a busy day as I get induction and what not. If it isn't too much trouble I no go mind make I get the other links too.

Erm . . . I'll just send the albums to your e-mail ad.
I've been spreading the K'naan bug for some time now, it's cool. . .

ElRazur:

Just on a side note, the blended Fela with Malcolm X. That is some crazy idea there. I wonder who produced the album. It is a very good work of Production, Sampling, Sound engineering etc.
It's this J. Period guy, he's worked with Nas, Lauryn Hill and everyone else.
He's really good with sampling, cutting and stuff like that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Online Paypal Money Adder No Download Needed Generator New Free / DOWNLOAD MP3: DJ Ab - Siriri Ft Jigsaw / Dunsin Oyekan – The Great Commission Album Download MP3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.