Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Should Their Be Division Of Labour In / Time Frame For Parenting - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Their Be Division Of Labour In / Time Frame For Parenting (478 Views)

Husband Faints In Labour Room / Mothers, How Did Your Husband React When You Were In Labour? / Name A Parenting Trait From Your Parents You Would Never Emulate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Should Their Be Division Of Labour In / Time Frame For Parenting by Teewhy2: 1:12pm On Oct 22, 2017
Good day everyone, I will like us to discuss / look at these two issues as it affects our lives and society.
I know some people might say am not a parent yet but we will surely get there one day.

1) should there be division of Labour in parenting?

what I mean by this is that while raising up our children should we separate our roles and responsibilities as father and mother during this period. Most times I have heard some men anytime a child does something bad saying that it is the mother's fault and that the mother is not monitoring the children very well or the children takes after their mother anytime something is wrong.
Even some men will say that they have provided food for the home and paid the children school fees so the mother should take care of the remaining aspect of the children upbringing.
From my own point of view I believe there shouldn't be division of Labour in raising our children, the only part the woman is fully responsible for is the first 9 months of the baby's life ( during pregnancy) after that all other roles and responsibilities should be performed equally by both parties.
A child needs both the fatherly and motherly love, affection, discipline in their life. Their is a stage in a child's life If the father discipline isn't there the child might grow out of control for the mother to handle. Also if a father or mother doesn't perform his/her roles in a child's life the child might be a stranger to that party. The child will prefer to confide in a stranger than to either the father/mother who didn't perform his/her duty in the child's life.
A father has to start performing his/her duty in a child's life when the child is still a baby by caring for him/her physically/emotionally to develop bond with the child which helps in easy communication/correction when the child has grown and is going out of control.

2) should there be a time frame for parenting a child?

Some people will say when a child clocks 18 years they should be left alone to dictate for themselves and that they should be least corrected.
I will say that there shouldn't be a time frame for parenting a child so far the child is still living under your roof s/he has to abide with your rules. You might allow him/her take some decisions but you still need to give advice on somethings. Shout out to some parents even when their children are married and they notice that their child is not treating his/her partner very well which might lead to collapse of the child's marriage they call their child and tell him/her the gospel truth not minding his/her achievement.
I will like us to discuss more on these issues.
Re: Should Their Be Division Of Labour In / Time Frame For Parenting by Afam4eva(m): 1:17pm On Oct 22, 2017
Teewhy2:

From my own point of view I believe their shouldn't be division of Labour in raising our children, the own part the woman is fully responsible for is the first 9 months of the baby's life ( during pregnancy) after that all other roles and responsibilities should be performed equally by both parties.
You have a point there. After the woman must have put to bed, the man should also assist the woman in breastfeeding the child.

(1) (Reply)

Happy Birthday To Me "Ngelbee" / Home Tutor For Your Wards / Dad Gives His Twin Girls A Pep Talk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.