Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) (26606 Views)

The Beautiful Islamic Greeting, Assalamu Alaykum Not "Aslm" Or "Salam" ! / Meet Sheikh Chukwuemeka, The Igbo Man That Translated Quran From Arabic To Igbo / 'Abdullah Ibn Salam: From Judaism To Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Raintaker(m): 7:16pm On Oct 23, 2017
Often times, I've seen people bidding others farewell in Arabic by saying Ma salam and the reply I often hear is Bi -Salam.
Also, local mualims encourage their wards to reply with Bi- salam.
In my opinion, I think the reply to Ma salam should be Ma salam as well or Fii amani lahi.
Can someone tell me the meaning of Bi Salam? and is my opinion correct?
CC All Muslims.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Empiree: 9:00pm On Oct 23, 2017
Bi -Salam means "with peace" or "in peace"

Like we say Bi smillah

'Bi' acts on the succeeding verb and changes its vowel. It also gives the meanings of ‘for or through’.

بي سالم "with peace"
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by iamgenius(m): 9:50am On Oct 24, 2017
It's not good to use both Ma'Salaam and Bi Salaam. Salam Alaykum and WA Alaykumus salaam is sufficient for us.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Empiree: 12:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
^
why are you in haste to declare somethign not good?. All types of greetings that are sahih are all okay to use. There is nothing wrong with it.

Ma-Salaam مع السلامة = Goodbye. Goodbye is used in Arabic, farewell. Farewell is used in Arabic. The word masalam is used in Arabic meaning goodbye,farewell. It's like wishing you a peaceful and safety journey or other stuff.....we said this when we goodbye someone.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by iamgenius(m): 2:33pm On Oct 24, 2017
^^^If you are talking as an Arabic language speaker then I say there's nothing wrong in saying: Ma'Salaam and Bi Salaam.

But, if you are talking as a Muslim, then I say, the greetings of Islam is sufficient for us. Do you claim to understand the Arabic Language or Arab traditions more than the Salafu Saalih?

THIS IS HOW BID'AH BEGINS.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Empiree: 4:14pm On Oct 24, 2017
^^

Smh...I won't drag this. I knew you would end up saying this. Greeting is greeting. Just like saying "eld mubarak" etc even if sahaba didn't do it. But at masjid I frequent, they are adherents of salafism and their mufti said

"greeting is greeting if the content is khayr...doesn't matter if salaf did it or not. ..ignore the zealots "

For this reason, I wont drag this with you. It has nothing to do with bidah. So get over it.

1 Like

Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Raintaker(m): 5:02pm On Oct 24, 2017
iamgenius:
^^^If you are talking as an Arabic language speaker then I say there's nothing wrong in saying: Ma'Salaam and Bi Salaam.

But, if you are talking as a Muslim, then I say, the greetings of Islam is sufficient for us. Do you claim to understand the Arabic Language or Arab traditions more than the Salafu Saalih?

THIS IS HOW BID'AH BEGINS.
Oga Bid'ah , salam alaykum self is a general greeting in Saudi Arabia (Note ;not only Muslims live there).
But why do you like the Bid'ah talk so much?
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Raintaker(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2017
Empiree:
Bi -Salam means "with peace" or "in peace"

Like we say Bi smillah

'Bi' acts on the succeeding verb and changes its vowel. It also gives the meanings of ‘for or through’.

بي سالم "with peace"
Well, Ma salamat= With peace.
Bi salam also means with peace.

What I think is , non Arabic speakers do not want to repeat the word Ma salam when replyiny, that's why they changed it to Bi salam which also means the same thing.
But to me, it seems wrong grammatically.

Ma salamat =Ma salamat

My opinion, it might be wrong though.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Empiree: 5:34pm On Oct 24, 2017
Raintaker:
Well, Ma salamat= With peace.
Bi salam also means with peace.

What I think is , non Arabic speakers do not want to repeat the word Ma salam when replyiny, that's why they changed it to Bi salam which also means the same thing.
But to me, it seems wrong grammatically.

Ma salamat =Ma salamat

My opinion, it might be wrong though.
i dont think it has anything to do with non muslims actually unless it can be theoretically proven. It is common grammar in arabic. Search on net and you see arab actually seldom use it. As always, none of these is obligatory, and it is nonissue. I dont even recollect the last time i heard until you brought it up here
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by iamgenius(m): 6:14pm On Oct 24, 2017
Empiree:
^^

Smh...I won't drag this. I knew you would end up saying this. Greeting is greeting. Just like saying "eld mubarak" etc even if sahaba didn't do it. But at masjid I frequent, they are adherents of salafism and their mufti said

"greeting is greeting if the content is khayr...doesn't matter if salaf did it or not. ..ignore the zealots "

For this reason, I wont drag this with you. It has nothing to do with bidah. So get over it.

Did I say it's BID'AH? Read what I wrote again.
The Imam is right.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by iamgenius(m): 6:17pm On Oct 24, 2017
Raintaker:
Oga Bid'ah , salam alaykum self is a general greeting in Saudi Arabia (Note ;not only Muslims live there).
But why do you like the Bid'ah talk so much?

Never call me at strikethrough again.

You are talking linguistically not islamically, I'm doing both. I hate my deeds and my fellow Muslims deed get wasted.

1 Like

Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Empiree: 6:20pm On Oct 24, 2017
iamgenius:

Did I say it's BID'AH? Read what I wrote again.
of course you didnt but your statement is in the borderline cool
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by iamgenius(m): 6:26pm On Oct 24, 2017
Empiree:
of course you didnt but your statement is in the borderline cool
So that we should be cautious.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Raintaker(m): 6:34pm On Oct 24, 2017
iamgenius:

Never call me at strikethrough again.

You are talking linguistically not islamically, I'm doing both. I hate my deeds and my fellow Muslims deed get wasted.
OK, I won't call you that again.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Raintaker(m): 6:36pm On Oct 24, 2017
Empiree:
i dont think it has anything to do with non muslims actually unless it can be theoretically proven. It is common grammar in arabic. Search on net and you see arab actually seldom use it. As always, none of these is obligatory, and it is nonissue. I dont even recollect the last time i heard until you brought it up here
Yh, its not really a serious issue.
I heard it yesterday though.
It's a common farewell greeting around here. As you said, it's non issue.

1 Like

Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by PaoloRowe: 1:02pm On Jun 13, 2018
I have an interest in learning new languages. In www.bestaustralianessays.com, I have learn English language but I don't have an idea about Islamic language. It is really hard to learn.
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 13, 2018
The Arabs reply ma'as salaamah with ma'as salaamah and this is done when the conversation is about to finish and the participants want to depart... Although nothing is wrong with saying that, or saying raafaqatkas salaamah or ilal liqaa'i and so on, but saying Salaam alaykum is better, it only becomes compulsory to say salaam alaykum when responding to a salaam alaykum....

1 Like

Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by adejaresalami1(m): 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2018
AbdelKabir:
The Arabs reply ma'as salaamah with ma'as salaamah and this is done when the conversation is about to finish and the participants want to depart... Although nothing is wrong with saying that, or saying raafaqatkas salaamah or ilal liqaa'i and so on, but saying Salaam alaykum is better, it only becomes compulsory to say salaam alaykum when responding to a salaam alaykum....
Toyeeb! cool
Re: Ma Salam Wa Bi Salam (let's Talk Arabic) by peterkatesss: 11:39am On Nov 15, 2019
Township is a game that has been township hack distributed by Playrix Games. This game was first discharged in 2013, and from that point forward i
township cheats android

(1) (Reply)

What Does Islam Teach About 'Luck'? / Ramadan Fast Continues Tomorrow. / Nigeria Is Among The Top Countries With Highest Number Of Hajj Pilgrims: Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.