Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,210 members, 7,818,710 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 PM

Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) (25468 Views)

Piloting: Aspirants & Professionals / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by hurricaneChris: 8:32am On Jun 17, 2013
Am just surprised this thread hasn't hit the front page after hw many years. Anyway, left for the mods to decide.

@topic.. Some of problems we encounter in this profession is d desperate quest for money instead of d passion for the profession.

Those who have worked on site wud agree with me. The contractor wants to grab as much profit as he can thereby deviating from the design specifications.....this a problem we must solve collectively.

Another is d infiltration of the building industry by quacks. I don't knw if there is any serious measure on ground in d country to check these quacks who bring bad names to professionals.

In all building industry is definitely worth our time, considering the d condition of tinx in Nigeria....unemployment!!
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Chumek(m): 9:25am On Jun 17, 2013
Am self employed.... A professional tiller,I install tiles nd marbles to perfection nd do other contract dt relates to building.. U can reach me wit these: 08130738717 & 07082941405
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Chumek(m): 9:40am On Jun 17, 2013
Yea! I fink i will advise u to go on architecture cos is fun to c wat ur mind nd hand can create....
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by SeunUSpaints(m): 12:04pm On Jun 18, 2013
Thinking of a cost effective & quality paints, you can give Sherwin Williams paints a trial. Sherwin William paints is United State number one paints, and 3rd in the whole world. Sherwin Williams paints enables you to use less, paint less and spend less without compromising quality.

How do you determine the cost effectiveness of any paint brand?
consider the following salient point:
1. DURABILITY: Can it withstand the harsh weather conditions of Nigeria without fading or losing its qualities,
2. SPREADING RATE: How many square meters can the paint cover per gallon,
3. HIDING POWER: Number of coats that will sufficiently cover a given surface.

No matter where you are in Nigeria or what surfaces you're painting, Sherwin-Williams paints will provides innovative solutions that ensure your desired success.

For more enquiries, contact Oni on 08090597460. Executive sales associate for AGBL LIMITED VI LAGOS, NIGERIA.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Godwin88(m): 3:36pm On Jun 18, 2013
ceasare: Hi everyone am a graduate of building frm OAU and a practising building proffessional.i am impressed with d thread and would implore us all 2 kerp it up here.
@am just me,why would u wnt 2 switch career? Anybody that studied any of the courses in d built environment can successfully practise without waiting for paid employmnt like bankers etc so you can reconsider ur earier stance as u r on d right career path trust me.
@ all contributors to d thread i believe proff courses like PMI & other certifications will go a: long way in boosting career growth than
perceive higher qualifications like Msc xcpt u wnt 2 tow d acafemic lines as d industry is more of your ability 2 deliver than paper qualifications.my own 20cent.cheers
. Sir,
I'm a building student and having my I.T at the moment.
I'll like to be enlightened on the relevance of NIOB to the building industry.
Thanx, in anticipation for ur response
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2013
NIOB is the body for d regulation of building practice and practioners in nigeria.they enact laws n policy that regulate d practice to ensure that builders gt their rightful place in d built industry just that our govt have not been so proactive to implement NIOB policies as rgds building comstruction and practice and where enforced limited oversite is the other of the day thats y u see quacks practising d proffession and resultant building collapse.
I must congratulate you that you are on a right career path as u can practice your proffession after schooling just like most built environment courses.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 5:56pm On Jun 18, 2013
Niob formulate n regulate building practice n its practitioners in nigeria.hope u r gaining xperience frm ur IT hs it will go a long way when u leave school as its a diff ball game on d field.what u learnt in class n what u pick on d field will mk u a well grounded builder.u r frm wch schl?hope d class drills r not 2 rigorous as thats d hallmark of all building dept in all uni or poly in nigeria trust me.

1 Like

Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 6:14pm On Jun 18, 2013
@am just me&valiant: i was once like u thinking of a change in career path but am much wiser and thankful 2 God i didnt eventually change my course as what i am today is as a result of what i studied, building @ OAU for that matter where d class drills n exams r more daring than NDA(nig defence academy) drill.i must confess that must be discouraging coupled wth d fact that d dept is always with few students.to be candid we where 65 in my year 1 only 13 of us made it 2 final year! U no what i meant half of d class got withdrawn sue to d atressful academic regime in my achl(ask anybodythat study building @ OAU,they can testify)while others left voluntarily cos they cldnt cope academically or believe the course isnt viable how mistaken they where.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 6:15pm On Jun 18, 2013
@am just me&valiant: i was once like u thinking of a change in career path but am much wiser and thankful 2 God i didnt eventually change my course as what i am today is as a result of what i studied, building @ OAU for that matter where d class drills n exams r more daring than NDA(nig defence academy) drill.i must confess that must be discouraging coupled wth d fact that d dept is always with few students.to be candid we where 65 in my year 1 only 13 of us made it 2 final year! U no what i meant half of d class got withdrawn sue to d atressful academic regime in my achl(ask anybodythat study building @ OAU,thety can testify)while others left voluntarily cos they cldnt cope academically or believe the course isnt viable how mistaken they where.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 6:27pm On Jun 18, 2013
No matter d course u studied in d built environment.u can definitely practice on ur own witout paid employmnt depending on ow smart u are and wth lil bit of luck u can be earning mefabucks b4 u liv schooling.u can fair well in diff branches of building depending on ur flair,academic prowess etc.if u r structurally inclined in d class room d design/structural detailing firm is ur best bet.a project i did in high brow ikoyi was design by a female junior colleagie way bck in uni can u beat that AM JUST ME,there r detailing software u can master and start earning on it my client paid 3.5mil 4 d design xcldg supervision! U can fair well in facilty mgt as a building maintenance mgr if u so wsh as an enterpreneur or wth a dirm.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Valiantvaliant(m): 6:57pm On Jun 18, 2013
@Ceasare Thanks a million for the encouragement!!
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 6:59pm On Jun 18, 2013
U might wnt 2 try project mgt,gt a certification in PMP n u r hotcake.depending on ur strength n flair u ve gt options to pick from nd build a career from in d building industry.whateva options u choose u can be self employed or employable....4gt ur fears n worries d money will surely come trust me u r on d right part.all courses in d built environmnt r sincerely blessed.all u need is ur ability to learn nd b smart.class n d academics can be demoralising its just our education system the way its fashioned but i think d course is worth d trouble.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 7:12pm On Jun 18, 2013
@valiant u r welcome.if u r a tech savvy person gt u hands on softwares and practice at ur leisure they r gud money earners.show people ur portfolio of wotk n u will be amazed ow much u can make even as a student.u might want 2 check STAADPRO,HYSIS PDMS for structural detailing,chief architect interior designs,autocad for drafting,etc.PRINCE2,primavera for project mgt etc.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Godwin88(m): 9:28pm On Jun 18, 2013
ceasare: NIOB is the body for d regulation of building practice and practioners in nigeria.they enact laws n policy that regulate d practice to ensure that builders gt their rightful place in d built industry just that our govt have not been so proactive to implement NIOB policies as rgds building comstruction and practice and where enforced limited oversite is the other of the day thats y u see quacks practising d proffession and resultant building collapse.
I must congratulate you that you are on a right career path as u can practice your proffession after schooling just like most built environment courses.
Thank you very much sir, for the detailed explanation. I was actually considering becoming a student member of the NIOB but I really did not have a clear picture of what NIOB was really about. I guess it wouldn't be much of a benefit for me since there are no proper measures for the regulation of buildings in Nigeria at the moment.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Godwin88(m): 9:47pm On Jun 18, 2013
ceasare: Niob formulate n regulate building practice n its practitioners in nigeria.hope u r gaining xperience frm ur IT hs it will go a long way when u leave school as its a diff ball game on d field.what u learnt in class n what u pick on d field will mk u a well grounded builder.u r frm wch schl?hope d class drills r not 2 rigorous as thats d hallmark of all building dept in all uni or poly in nigeria trust me.
I had my ND in fed poly ilaro bt I'm pressing 4 a direct entry into Unilag this year(I pray it works out).
I found it easier to scale through the rigours of school drills than I'm finding it in field practice. By the grace of Almighty God, I graduated with a distinction last year bt I get demoralized by the fact that I'm not savvy in field practice.
What would you advice a building student who is more theoretically inclined dan practical?
Thank u so much sir for lifting our spirits. God bless!
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Godwin88(m): 10:07pm On Jun 18, 2013
ceasare: @valiant u r welcome.if u r a tech savvy person gt u hands on softwares and practice at ur leisure they r gud money earners.show people ur portfolio of wotk n u will be amazed ow much u can make even as a student.u might want 2 check STAADPRO,HYSIS PDMS for structural detailing,chief architect interior designs,autocad for drafting,etc.PRINCE2,primavera for project mgt etc.
I go for autoCAD trainings for 2D and 3D on weekends and I'm getting along very well with it.
Can a student enroll for PMP, PRINCE 2, et al?
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 2:17pm On Jun 20, 2013
@godwin: offcourse u can enrol.

Cheers.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Misterpaul(m): 1:45am On Jun 22, 2013
Behind bobo: hello all.pls can iget qs in port harcourt to help me value a property.u can get me on 07062180879.thanks
No sir!..You don't need a Qty surveyor to value the property, you need an ESTATE SURVEYOR AND VALUER to value properties. Cos, that's thier exclusive job.
ByDway, any Estate surveyor/manager in the house?...We need to discuss this issue of people mistaking the job of Estate surv. And valuers to be that of lawyers, Qs and other professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by jidowu(m): 4:50am On Jun 22, 2013
Good day to everyone in the house am glad this thread is becoming more lively by the day...I am a 4th year estate management in FUTA currently having my industrial training @ a reputable estate firm in Lagos island....I am very curious of life after school thou less than a year to go,I am certain I would finish with a 2nd class lower so I want an advice to step up or add to my qualification to be confidence in the market place although I don't intend lecturing but would love to have a 2nd degree in facilities management and also intending doing abroad cos am in my early 20s.....
Please I need an advice from the experts in the house to give me ideas I should nurture or work towards as i finish from school...GOD bless
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 9:29am On Jun 22, 2013
Misterpaul: No sir!..You don't need a Qty surveyor to value the property, you need an ESTATE SURVEYOR AND VALUER to value properties. Cos, that's thier exclusive job.
ByDway, any Estate surveyor/manager in the house?...We need to discuss this issue of people mistaking the job of Estate surv. And valuers to be that of lawyers, Qs and other professionals.

@mr paul its an estate surveyor u need not a qty survey.do call mr abass on 08127970736 he is an estate surveyor he can help out.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Misterpaul(m): 2:45pm On Jun 24, 2013
[@jidowu]After school, why not try focusing more on writing the NIEVS exam and becoming an associate member. Me i think that will help u in ur career.
Hope u getting relevant experiences from ur i.t. especialy on VALUATION..Abi na only to dey carry clients 4 inspection and scouting 4 ppties u dey do there?..
Anyway, since u ar in lagos, i'l like us to connect..u cn add me on facebook with- paulsconnection.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by jidowu(m): 3:03pm On Jun 24, 2013
@ mister Paul yea am gathering a lot from the IT but must confess its more of the agency and property management in major @ the branch of the firm I work....although There's the valuation department but was filled up by the time I started and had to settle for the department I am, so far it has been great, I already sent you a request on FB. There's more to me thou....
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by DonBrutus(m): 12:28pm On Jul 03, 2013
im 200 level q.s nd i want change to bd any advise?
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by mutaalim(m): 2:09pm On Jul 03, 2013
Don Brutus: im 200 level q.s nd i want change to bd any advise?

why do you want to change?
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 5:16pm On Jul 03, 2013
@brutus: wat is bd?
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by aje33: 4:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
I like this thread! I'm a graduate of building(OAU) ..I just finished my NYSC..hoping to forge ahead...nice one fellow professionals!
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 5:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
@aje33: greatest ife! I finish frm building OAU quite a while.hows tinz ova there? Prof Adesanya still there nd Dr Adeyemi? He ws my project supervisor bck then.

Good 2 meet u here.kip d IFABS flag flying, i ws 1ce d asst sec gen at a time.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by aje33: 10:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
@ceasare what year did u grad? Dr Adeyemi is back b4 I left in 2011, prof Adesanya is on and off as the boss...Dr Aina is d HOD..Engr Ayangade was my supervisor.....I was d PRO of NAOBs in my part 3.....wanted to do d president in part 5 buh didn't due to some personal reasons....nice to meet you sir!
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by ceasare: 6:18am On Jul 05, 2013
@aje33: dats inttesting my matric nos ws BLD/98/0xx......u can giess when i left. I bliv u were not in yet when i left lol....no pun intended.d assoc use to be called IFABS then...

Nice merting u anyway.
Czar.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 07, 2013
im 200 level quantity survey student wantchange to building...i need advse from the 2 professinals pls.
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by Eduwalter(m): 9:00am On Jul 10, 2013
am happy for dis forum and just wish dat i can get answers to many of my unanswered questions here.. Many question about taking off and am getting only few answers.
I believe all my questions will b answered here..
Re: Surveyors, Builders, Architects & Estate Mgrs' Corner (Aspirants & Professionals) by richeyy(m): 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
papiforreal: im 200 level quantity survey student wantchange to building...i need advse from the 2 professinals pls.

Why'd you wonna change? Qty Surveying is a very interesting course. And here in the UK, it's hot cake! I'll advise you stick with it & do a professional course in project management.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stanbic's Sola David-Borha Earns N170 Million A Year / What Odd Job Did You Do On Your Way To Success? / Don’t Take Risks Without Knowing These

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.