Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 PM

Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden (10967 Views)

Remote Jobs Interview Process Seem To Be Tougher Than The Jobs Itself / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! / Signal Alliance Limited : Interview Process, Work Conditions & Salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by jayloms: 11:13am On Oct 25, 2017
Welcomme:
I regret going to school... My old mum is there hoping that I should be bringing something for her but here I am with nothing after graduation. Just tired mehn! No money to start or learn a business or skill...
Hang in there bro, just keep pushing! It will turn out well

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 25, 2017
1. It is kind of like a lottery too......a company like the lottery cannot give everyone the prize

2. Jobs are scarce because too many people are competing for white collar jobs. Meanwhile we have to import artisans from Benin and Togo for construction work

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by 400billionman: 11:15am On Oct 25, 2017
Is it by force they will employ you ?

Anywhere you walk out from, ensure you won't go back there, they will remember your face.

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by mmsen: 11:17am On Oct 25, 2017
It's not particular to Nigeria, the interview process everywhere is flawed.

At best what you're seeing is people guessing as to what that person is capable of and what that company actually needs.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by ivolt: 11:17am On Oct 25, 2017
Welcomme:
I regret going to school... My old mum is there hoping that I should be bringing something for her but here I am with nothing after graduation. Just tired mehn! No money to start or learn a business or skill...

Go and learn technical skills, Graphics, Design or Programming.
You can get many lessons on Youtube for free.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by tayo4ng(m): 11:18am On Oct 25, 2017
going for interview in this part of the world is nothing but east of time. because most are formality they have their candidate already. There is God
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by buddwizer: 11:18am On Oct 25, 2017
One thing is that many of these organizations have tonnes of candidates to make the selections from, therefore they will continue to raise the bar in all forms just to weed out or sieve through the pool. But the sad part is that, they might not still get the the best fit for the job. The perfect fit might have been weeded out through the various stages of raising the bar. I think a good solution will be a custom fit recruitment process for particular or individual roles, but again the question is " are they willing to commit time and resources to that ?" or they just take the easy way out.

3 Likes

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Investnow2017: 11:30am On Oct 25, 2017
profolaolu:
Becoming useless? it is completely useless especially in Lagos state, even street cleaners employed by Lagos state was through slot to politicians, I was amazed when a teacher posted to my school to teach English couldn't speak English.

"Are you the new English Teacher?"

"Yes, I is"

Nonsense
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Marty2020: 11:33am On Oct 25, 2017
Probably that's not hers, what is meant for her will definitely come bigger and better.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by ksbusari(m): 11:36am On Oct 25, 2017
judging outsyd talent and strength . yea I go that.
As for me, if mathematics is only what they do in school, I wouldn't av bothered going to schl at all.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by BluntBoy(m): 11:57am On Oct 25, 2017
I keep on telling people that there is a difference between merely being good at Mathematics and being a mathematician. I am a mathematician because I earned it by virtue of academic qualifications up to a master's degree and I hate how anyone who is good at maths is always quickly hailed as a mathematician even without possessing the requisite qualifications and critical thinking and analytical skills. The word is exclusive to the academic world and we should stop abusing it.

Now to the topic proper, many companies need to shake up their HR departments. Many of the officers are incompetent and have no idea about HR management.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by paulstrings(m): 12:00pm On Oct 25, 2017
Biafranbushboy Permission to share?
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 25, 2017
This post makes no sense in my opinion... you are feeling cheated because you were not vocal, cannot solve maths questions, you were not well dressed, didn't have a degree, have a high GP. Hello, it's a competition and you should always be at your best, that's the advice you are always given. All of what you mentioned have their scores on the card. Nepotism is when the best qualified is dropped and the other is taken. Your post is saying other wise pls

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 25, 2017
Investnow2017:

"Are you the new English Teacher?"

"Yes, I is"

Nonsense
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by lekkipropertyy: 12:22pm On Oct 25, 2017
Do people still go for interview! Anyway who no know no go know... Entrepreneurial development is vital. Op you're yet to send our group pictures ooo after the DM course.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by lucarella: 12:37pm On Oct 25, 2017
Well, I love to comment on topics like this because I've experienced a couple of interviews and I own a company. HR Managers need help! You don't expect to be trained by incompetent people and you'll be competent. It's not possible. Even in so-called big organizations, there's a gross level of incompetence.
An interview process is not an examination where right or wrong answers are identified. It can't be! Are you a right fit for us? That should be the question.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 12:42pm On Oct 25, 2017
paulstrings:
Biafranbushboy Permission to share?

Help my ministry, add the link abeg ooo

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 1:07pm On Oct 25, 2017
lekkipropertyy:
Do people still go for interview! Anyway who no know no go know... Entrepreneurial development is vital. Op you're yet to send our group pictures ooo after the DM course.

Will do that Sir. smiley

How is the hustle?
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by salford1: 1:34pm On Oct 25, 2017
op. It is not only in Nigeria you would find such. Same goes for other countries like the US or UK. It's a common practice for multinationals.
I know more engineering grads working in sales roles in companies like heineken or unilever than i know of marketing grads.
I worked in one of the top 5 banks in the world a few years back. It was a UK based position, and the investment banking was filled with alot of science and engineering grads. They were actually more in number than business grads.
This is a result of the entrance test usually conducted before the series of interviews. Most companies just want the potential...they know alot of peoole can be trained to become a sales and marketing guru.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Jerryojozy(m): 2:19pm On Oct 25, 2017
yeyerolling:
Nigeria is a zoo. u open a bank grad trainee to all disciplines , but the kind of tests u wud do doesn't relate to banking. the science /enginee grad blast d tests with ease, while the arts and commercial struggle . sickening abeg
Once in this shoe. Bank grad trainee. Failed the maths aspect cos what I saw was more or less further maths. The science/engineer guys blast it. That thought me a great lesson, had to work on my maths.

Genius J

2 Likes

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Sphinx02(m): 3:16pm On Oct 25, 2017
kenrish2:
you can't dictate for any establishment on how they should set their interview questions, I think they have the right to choose whatever pattern they prefer, if you are having issues already with interview questions how will they be able to control you when you get the job
some pep lk u are jst soo stupid.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2017
yeyerolling:
Nigeria is a zoo. u open a bank grad trainee to all disciplines , but the kind of tests u wud do doesn't relate to banking. the science /enginee grad blast d tests with ease, while the arts and commercial struggle . sickening abeg
That's the more reason many banks are failing. They rarely employ professionals or persons that have knowledge on areas advertised
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 25, 2017
kenrish2:
you can't dictate for any establishment on how they should set their interview questions, I think they have the right to choose whatever pattern they prefer, if you are having issues already with interview questions how will they be able to control you when you get the job
That's true but they shouldn't because of the unemployment situation behave anyhow. Do you think they would set such questions if there are sufficient industries and unemployment rate low?

1 Like

Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2017
ivolt:
Organizations reserves the right to weed out candidates using whichever
method they so desire.

If a company is recruiting the wrong candidate, then it is headed for bankruptcy,
so if a company keep using a non-intuitive way of screening candidates, then it
must be working for them.

I once saw a stage 2 screening questions for an accounting role which 90% were
current affairs. It looked weird and stupid but I realized that the company probably
think any of the candidates can do the job and opted for an unusual screening method.
Would they do that when many are employed ?
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by vislabraye(m): 4:18pm On Oct 25, 2017
Interviews are usually subjective. I really try not to take offence no matter what, though some interviewers can be funny.
You might do poorly in an interview but you may actually be good.

I have lost a teaching job only to gain a plum job that pays me more than double the school would have paid not to mention other incentives and bonuses.

Doing well in an interview is also a skill that can be learnt. But a good interviewer should be smart as well as well grounded in what he is doing.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Investnow2017: 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2017
profolaolu:
I guess U are languishing in pain and frustration because ur stress and sorrow seems incomphrensible

You didn't get the joke cheesy
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Dareabiala(m): 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2017
ivolt:

Go and learn technical skills, Graphics, Design or Programming.
You can get many lessons on Youtube for free.
I receive sense..... Nice one bro
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 25, 2017
Investnow2017:

You didn't get the joke cheesy
Ooooooh I am so sorry I didn't get I thought U comment to make jest of me, am so sorry
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by kenrish2(m): 10:53pm On Oct 25, 2017
Sphinx02:
some pep lk u are jst soo stupid.
thanks wise man
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by fleetfeet: 7:18am On Oct 26, 2017
To succeed in nigeria you need to be streetwise.

Afam4eva:
They need people with good analytical skills and basic sense. That's where GMAT comes in. The questions are not usually cumbersome or difficult. They just need a little application of sense.
Re: Is The Job Interview Process Becoming Useless In Nigeria? - Topwritersden by Investnow2017: 7:41am On Oct 26, 2017
profolaolu:
Ooooooh I am so sorry I didn't get I thought U comment to make jest of me, am so sorry

I thought as much too. No qualms smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Food Concepts Plc Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2018 / Please Who Knows How I Can Get To Lekki?? / Please I Need Help To Improve Or Change My Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.