Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Hints Needed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Hints Needed (2829 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2017
It's well o
Re: Hints Needed by Wizzycliff(m): 4:11pm On Oct 25, 2017
This is real life problem so one need to understand how the New York subway pass system works.
Tips: Do research and find out what is New York subway pass system and how it works in real life as we don't have such in Nigeria.
This can help us to understand the problem very well to extend that we may even visualize it. Then the solution will not be difficult.
Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 6:04pm On Oct 25, 2017
jaelz:
Studio  14  -‐  Developer  Test                The  tech  test  is  a  programming  exercise  to  evaluate  the  candidate  technical  skills  and  approach  to  software  development.  The  candidate  is  expected  to  produce  a  solution  in  code  that  demonstrates  they  understand  how  to  solve  the  problem  using  clear  concise  code.                When  completing  the  technical  test  please  do:    • Include  instructions  on  how  to  run  the  code            • Keep  it  simple                      • Include  instructions  on  how  to  run  the  code          • Return  the  (zipped)  solution  within  72  hours  by  email  to  tobi@studio14online.co.uk  (or  a  link  to  a  Google  drive  folder  with  the  zipped  solution)  • Ask  any  questions  by  emailing  the  above  address        • Use  any  programming  language  to  solve  the  problem                    Please  don’t:        • Build  a  UI  -‐  the  focus  of  the  test  is  on  the  technical  solution  and  not  the  interface  • Spend  more  than  2  hours  -‐  the  important  thing  is  that  we  understand  your  approach  and  way  of  thinking,  it’s  enough  to  demonstrate  you  could  complete  the  task  if  you  spent  more  time    • Feel  the  need  to  cover  every  edge  case  • Write  more  than  200-‐300  lines  of  code!  It’s  possible  to  produce  quite  lean  solutions                      The  Subway  Pass  Problem                    You  are  required  to  model  the  following  fare  card  system  which  is  a  limited  version  of  New  York’s  subway  card  system.  At  the  end  of  the  test,  you  should  be  able  to  demonstrate  a  user  loading  a  card  with  $30,  and  taking  the  following  trips,  and  then  viewing  the  balance.    -‐    Taking  the  Subway  from  5th  to  Pelham  Parkway  -‐    Taking  the  15  bus  from  Pelham  Parkway  to  Bronx  -‐    Taking  Subway  from  Pelham  Parkway  to  Guns  Hill      Operation    When  the  user  passes  through  the  inward  barrier  at  the  station,  their  subway  pass  is  charged  the  maximum  fare.  When  they  pass  out  of  the  barrier  at  the  exit  station,  the  fare  is  calculated  and  the  maximum  fare  transaction  removed  and  replaced  with  the  real  transaction  (in  this  way,  if  the  user  doesn’t  swipe  out,  they  are  charged  the  maximum  fare).            All  bus  journeys  are  charged  at  the  same  price.                    The  system  should  favour  the  customer  where  more  than  one  fare  is  possible  for  a  given  journey.  E.g.  5th  to  Pelham  Parkway  is  charged  at  $2.50.                For  the  purposes  of  this  test  use  the  following  data:  

It appears u were given a job test by a uk firm and you are trying to use nairaland to solve d problem.If dt is d case, dsa
amounts to cheatg.

I suggest dt no one attempt to solve this ptoblem until after 72hrs.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by Olyboy16(m): 10:29pm On Oct 25, 2017
QueryUnical:

It appears u were given a job test by a uk firm and you are trying to use nairaland to solve d problem.If dt is d case, dsa
amounts to cheatg.

Re: Hints Needed by Olyboy16(m): 10:30pm On Oct 25, 2017
QueryUnical:

amounts to cheatg.

Edited: i almost thought he wasn't cheating though, but after the posts below me; it became obvious.
Re: Hints Needed by Nobody: 3:47pm On Oct 26, 2017
how is it cheating?
QueryUnical:

amounts to cheatg.

Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 4:11pm On Oct 26, 2017
bjhaid:
how is it cheating?

If u are familiar with a site like stack overflow you will see numerous international Job vacancy there.Some offer visa and cost of relocation.

They usually send applicants jobs test via email and require the solution be submitted via email.

Those tests are a test of d applicants programming ability and thus situability for the job.

The expect d applicant to be honest.enough to take the test himself and they also do not expect him to make the test because dy hardly change questions.

If d above is indeed a job test given to d op,it means that rather dn solving d problem himself so that his solution will reflect his true programming capability( which is actually the intention), he is tryg to get nairalanders to help him solve the problem so that the solution will be a false reflection of his programming capability.

It means he got help in solvg d problem, he got unfair advantage, he deceived d hr team by giving them false information about his programming capability.It also means he tryg to get the job by use of deceit.

Remember other persons have also applied.So, in effect, it means while other people are busy racking their brains. he is busy getting nairalanders to rack their brains on his behalf.

So, if, d above is indeef true about d post and poster,it means the poster attempted to cheat.

2 Likes

Re: Hints Needed by Nobody: 4:23pm On Oct 26, 2017
QueryUnical:

If u are familiar with a site like stack overflow you will see numerous international Job vacancy there.Some offer visa and cost of relocation.

They usually send applicants jobs test via email and require the solution be submitted via email.

Those tests are a test of d applicants programming ability and thus situability for the job.

The expect d applicant to be honest.enough to take the test himself and they also do not expect him to make the test because dy hardly change questions.

If d above is indeed a job test given to d op,it means that rather dn solving d problem himself so that his solution will reflect his true programming capability( which is actually the intention), he is tryg to get nairalanders to help him solve the problem so that the solution will be a false reflection of his programming capability.

It means he got help in solvg d problem, he got unfair advantage, he deceived d hr team by giving them false information about his programming capability.It also means he tryg to get the job by use of deceit.

Remember other persons have also applied.So, in effect, it means while other people are busy racking their brains. he is busy getting nairalanders to rack their brains on his behalf.

So, if, d above is indeef true about d post and poster,it means the poster attempted to cheat.
not that bad, if you actually give him hint and ideas, a problem shared is half solved.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by bearnana(f): 4:24pm On Oct 26, 2017
QueryUnical:

Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 9:11pm On Oct 26, 2017
bjhaid:
not that bad, if you actually give him hint and ideas, a problem shared is half solved.

no.its very very bad.All the ideas and hint needed are usually always in d question.

Remember,its an assessment test. Giving him ideas and hints will amount to cheatg.
If he is cut out for d job,will be able to take d test on his own.If he needs externaldeas and hints to take d test,then he is not cut out for the job.

Googling for solutions is a standard developer habit. All he needs is google.In fact dy may even expect him to google.Anythg beyond that is cheatg.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by Nobody: 9:12pm On Oct 26, 2017
QueryUnical:

no.its very very bad.All the ideas and hint needed are usually always in d question.

Remember,its an assessment test. Giving him ideas and hints will amount to cheatg.
If he is cut out for d job,will be able to take d test on his own.If he needs externaldeas and hints to take d test,then he is not cut out for the job.

Googling for solutions is a standard developer habit. All he needs is google.In fact dy may even expect him to google.Anythg beyond that is cheatg.
okay sir
Re: Hints Needed by asalimpo(m): 10:04pm On Oct 26, 2017
@QueryUnical
Nigerians are used to doing things the easy way. easy=corrupt. cutting corners, lying,cheating, betraying their conscience. Anything to get a quick buck/win. It's ingrained in our national psych hence the reason y the poster acted as he's acting.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 10:10pm On Oct 26, 2017
asalimpo:
@QueryUnical
Nigerians are used to doing things the easy way. easy=corrupt. cutting corners, lying,cheating, betraying their conscience. Anything to get a quick buck/win. It's ingrained in our national psych hence the reason y the poster acted as he's acting.

Of course,I know. If we dont discourage ds now, soon foreign hr will stop acceptg applicatns from Nigerian becouse of issues of dishonesty.

2 Likes

Re: Hints Needed by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 26, 2017
Thence, members of the firm's HR team may find it difficult to trust Nigerian applicants for the rest of their lives.
QueryUnical:

Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 10:45am On Oct 27, 2017
bjhaid:
omo e tire me o asin e really tire me o
Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 10:46am On Oct 27, 2017
QueryUnical:

Of course,I know. If we dont discourage ds now, soon foreign hr will stop acceptg applicatns from Nigerian becouse of issues of dishonesty.
oga asking for hints is not a crime, why you taking it so personal, the first guy said i should google and understand the system whats your own stress? In that case stack overflow should be taken down also, asking for better understanding is no crime bro.

2 Likes

Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 10:46am On Oct 27, 2017
QueryUnical:

Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 12:25pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:
oga asking for hints is not a crime, why you taking it so personal, the first guy said i should google and understand the system whats your own stress? In that case stack overflow should be taken down also, asking for better understanding is no crime bro.
Where you able to get a solution?
Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 12:51pm On Oct 27, 2017
4kings:

Where you able to get a solution?
brother omo the guy reported me sent my profile to them, it's all good sha. Thanks though i tried my best
Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 12:59pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:

brother omo the guy reported me sent my profile to them, it's all good sha. Thanks though i tried my best
Whoa shocked shocked, well Success sha, better luck henceforth!!!
Me sef was carried away by QueryUnical argument.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 1:11pm On Oct 27, 2017
haba bro if nah like that make them take down stackoverflow now show me which programmer never source for answers to a question online. asin it's so saddening that we Nigerians are just full of hate. Asin his argument was just just just so irrational it seems like he was among those wriiting the test and maybe he couldn't get it or he felt he was the only one that got so hence he felt cheated. I mean go online you see people posting projects and all sorts online, stackoverflow even explained it but i felt what i did was better. Brother it's so sad o.
4kings:

Whoa shocked shocked, well Success sha, better luck henceforth!!!
Me sef was carried away by QueryUnical argument.
Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 1:12pm On Oct 27, 2017
how is that tagged cheating was it written in the test that you shouldn't ask for help or liaise with others
Olyboy16:

Edited: i almost thought he wasn't cheating though, but after the posts below me; it became obvious.
Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 1:18pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:
haba bro if nah like that make them take down stackoverflow now show me which programmer never source for answers to a question online. asin it's so saddening that we Nigerians are just full of hate. Asin his argument was just just just so irrational it seems like he was among those wriiting the test and maybe he couldn't get it or he felt he was the only one that got so hence he felt cheated. I mean go online you see people posting projects and all sorts online, stackoverflow even explained it but i felt what i did was better. Brother it's so sad o.
I'm sorry.
I guess, i didn't apply rational thought at the right time, i would have attempted it.
But you sef didn't respond on time.

Anyway, one door closes and plenty others are left unexplored.
Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 1:27pm On Oct 27, 2017
4kings:

I'm sorry.
I guess, i didn't apply rational thought at the right time, i would have attempted it.
But you sef didn't respond on time.

Anyway, one door closes and plenty others are left unexplored.
Amen jor thanks bro, it's well sha nothing happens. Lolz asin was so so busy travelling and attempting the question. The funniest thing was that it wasnt stipulated in the interview. Hope you good? By the way hope no be you go report me, *runs away*
Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 1:29pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:

Amen jor thanks bro, it's well sha nothing happens. Lolz asin was so so busy travelling and attempting the question. The funniest thing was that it wasnt stipulated in the interview. Hope you good? By the way hope no be you go report me, *runs away*
Lol grin
Okay na...
Re: Hints Needed by jaelz(m): 2:54pm On Oct 27, 2017
Heheh funny how he is not longer gonna comment on it again after the deed has been done, he is just gonna act like he aint seeing the notifications trooping in
4kings:

Lol grin
Okay na...
Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 5:53pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:
Heheh funny how he is not longer gonna comment on it again after the deed has been done, he is just gonna act like he aint seeing the notifications trooping in
He is not logged in yet.
Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 7:49pm On Oct 27, 2017
4kings:

He is not logged in yet.

I just saw this now.I am not in good positon to offer a robust response now.

I did not know for sure if it was indeed an ongoing job test, I only made a wide guess.Notice how I deliberately worded my post with a measure of uncertainty.Now u have cleared all doubt.
Pending the time I am able to give a robust response, I have just one question for u?If u know u were not cheating why did u not post in stack overflow where u cam get abundant quick and good answers.

As to d viewers, If u have ever used stack overflow or codeproject before,u be d judge.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 8:19pm On Oct 27, 2017
QueryUnical:

I just saw this now.I am not in good positon to offer a robust response now.

I did not know for sure if it wae indeed an ungoing job test, i only made a wide guess.Notice how i deliberately worded my post with a measure of uncertainty.Now u have cleared all doubt.
Pending the time I am able to give a robust response, I have just one question for u?If u know u were not cheating why did u not post in in stack overflow where u cam get abundant quick and good answers.

As to d viewers, If u have ever used stack overflow or codeproject before,u be d judgr.(Will be back)
I don't get. So if he had posted in stackoverflow it would have been better or what?
And not all questions on stackoverflow get quick response btw.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 8:55pm On Oct 27, 2017
4kings:

I don't get. So if he had posted in stackoverflow it would have been better or what?
And not all questions on stackoverflow get quick response btw.

If he had posted in on StackOverflow he would have been discovered quickly as a cheat.
He did not think it was possible for folks on nairaland to quickly discover him as a cheat.

1 Like

Re: Hints Needed by 4kings: 9:28pm On Oct 27, 2017
QueryUnical:

If he had posted in on StackOverflow he would have been discovered quickly as a cheat.
He did not think it was possible for folks on nairaland to quickly discover him as a cheat.
A large amount of questions asked on stackoverflow are from individuals at diverse workplaces who are aiming to meet a target set by their organisation or boss. So would you belong to the group that'll tell the individual that he is "cheating" since his boss didn't employ him/her to take shortcuts.

Moreso, if he wanted answers, he doesn't need to post it in that format, he would have just posted the questions only and no one would know.
Just my though oo
Re: Hints Needed by QueryUnical: 9:34pm On Oct 27, 2017
jaelz:

OK.Here we go.

When I made the post, I made it with a well-premeditated intention to make you fail if this was an attempt to cheat.
I was expecting you to come over and make a defence, but I wasn't expecting you to do it with any bit of politeness. I thought, as is the wont of nairanders, you would cast all manners of insults and aspersions on me. I had made up my mind to not offer you any bit of reply even if you rained down the whole world's insults.

But, after several hours of not seeing any defence from you, I was starting to feel uneasy, I thought I had made a somewhat false accusation. Now all my feeling of uneasiness have vanished. You have made your defence as anticipated. In case you don't know, it is a basic human trait for wrong doers to offer a defence for their wrong doing. Its been going on since the garden of Eden. So, to me, your defence means nothing.One doesn't have to have a PhD in Psychology for him to expect you to offer a defence.

I ask you this questions:

Were you not told by email to ensure you solve the problem alone? If, yes, why did you not follow that instruction?
Were you not told not to make the question public? If, yes, why did you not follow that instruction?
If there was nothing wrong with what you have done , why did you remove the post?
Why, in particular, did you change the title of the thread even when it was no longer useful to you and you had removed the opening post.
If there was nothing wrong with what you had done, why were you bordered by the fact that your profile was reported?(By the way, I did not report your profile. I did not even know for sure if it were an ongoing test or not, but I am glad your profile was reported).

I know for certain that if you posted this on stack overflow or code project, people would have condemned you for cheating. It is stated, expressly, on codeproject that you should not post your school assignment asking for a solution there and that you should expect that your lecturer may view your post. If they can state this much for a school assignment what do you think their response will be if you post a job test.

I put it to you that you attempted to cheat and unfortunately your attempt failed.

I am sorry, this is the one and only reply I will give you on this issue. I anticipated a defence from you, so I am not surprised that you gave one.

To the viewers I say this:
It is our responsiblity to protect the image of our country. Too bad Nigeria has an image of internet fraud at the moment, do we really want to add Job dishonesty to it. There are many nairalanders here who depend on stack overflow remote job for a livelyhood. What do you think will happen to them if hr teams stop accepting applications from Nigerians. Do you know that by reporting the poster's profile, the hr team may have disqualified all Nigerians since they don't know for sure which of them enganged in this act of cheating.Please, I appeal to everyone in this forum to treat every similar future post of this kind in the same manner this post was treated. You may welll be saving someone's job or preserving another's opportunity to get a job. Please, please, do not let this fellows defence ,whether present of future ones, pull the wool over you eyes. Surely, you are more intelligent than that.

I m done.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Compiler Construction: Design A Scanner / Post Your Programming Projects Ideas Here / So Hard To Female Software Programmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.