Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,601 members, 7,820,151 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read (9299 Views)

How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? / Methodist Primary School, Ekotedo, Ibadan -A Forgotten Citadel Of Learning / Message To Native Doctors And Ritualists- The Science Of Jazz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Fvcknames: 1:30pm On Oct 28, 2017
How can I use spaced repetitions to study a course like medicine where I have wide courses to study
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by DarkRebel69: 3:37pm On Oct 28, 2017
Fvcknames:
How can I use spaced repetitions to study a course like medicine where I have wide courses to study

Learn time management.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by DarkRebel69: 6:43pm On Oct 28, 2017
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Fvcknames: 7:25pm On Oct 28, 2017
You are a good artist too
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by EfemenaXY: 8:06pm On Oct 28, 2017
DarkRebel69:
I made this drawing. I intended on posting it along with the exposition before...

I didn't know you draw (still life?). Impressive.

Wish I could sketch half as well.

Have you got any more to share?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by DarkRebel69: 8:52pm On Oct 28, 2017
EfemenaXY:

I didn't know you draw (still life?). Impressive.

Wish I could sketch half as well.

Have you got any more to share?

You don't know anything about me.

Still life? Really?.... Still life is when you draw inanimate objects (basically what you'd be asked to do in introductory Fine Art class).

That's imaginative drawing. Though I am more of a sculptor. Never really liked pencil work.

You say you wish you could sketch half as well, but it's not too late to start. Richard Feynman only began Art at the age of 44 under the pseudonym "Ofey", and for a physicist, he was quite good at it. And I'm betting you're not yet 44. Or are you?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 29, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Thank you. More importantly, they are very practical techniques.

I have no doubt that they will work for you. If I may ask, what study methods did you use before now? Or was it unsystematic?
permit me to share this informative method to study on my blog to students, all references will be made.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by DarkRebel69: 8:57am On Oct 29, 2017
dayo2me:
permit me to share this informative method to study on my blog to students, all references will be made.

What's the name of your blog?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 29, 2017
DarkRebel69:

What's the name of your blog?
its on my signature.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by DarkRebel69: 10:33am On Oct 29, 2017
dayo2me:
its on my signature.

No, you do not have my permission to post it on your blog.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 29, 2017
DarkRebel69:

No, you do not have my permission to post it on your blog.
alright. may i know your reason?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Nezy4Real(m): 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2017
Well! I must confess this article is the best article i have read so far on Nairaland. As if you actually knew i was struggling with my learning method, thanks for this life changing article. I will adopt this sytem henceforth. Indeed you are a genius!
God bless you!
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by SetrakusRa(m): 8:24am On Oct 30, 2017
Wonderful piece.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Gerrard59(m): 9:49pm On Dec 05, 2017
Excellent piece. I had to comment.

I actually practice and have practiced most of the points aforementioned, however, I never knew by name most of the terminologies used to describe them. Another thing you didn't touch on is food: I consider it to be very paramount in effective learning, albeit I've seen individuals who don't eat as at when due performing excellently. I still believe that proper nutrition aids in effective learning. Moreover, the brain consumes 25% of body glucose, but constitute 2% body mass.

And it's quite astonishing you didn't study Psychology as a scholar.

Once again, kudos.

cc: DarkRebel69

1 Like

Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by pressplay411(m): 10:59pm On Dec 25, 2017
DarkRebel69:
[PART 1 OF 3]

The Science of Learning: How to study, how to understand, and how to remember all you read

Whether you are a student looking to give your GPA that quantum boost; whether you are a professional seeking to get the most out of the books you read; whether you're an OCKG (Obessesive-compulsive knowledge-gatherer); or whether you're just a good citizen of the planet looking to maximize your learning/studying experience, then this exposition, which is firmly grounded in the time-tested science of educational psychology, has been written to cater for your learning needs.

The problem with our schools,—and to bring it home—the problem with the entire Nigerian education system, as has been observed by myself and many others, is that in school we are taught what to learn but we are almost never taught how to learn what it is that we have to learn, leaving many of us squirming in the throes of bland rote memorization. (Which, if you don't already know, is the poorest, most unimaginative, most time-consuming, and most ineffective method of learning.)

That is why meta-learning (the awareness and understanding of the phenomenon of learning) is essential to master before even getting down to the actual learning process. (If you don't even know how to start a fire, then why bother gathering firewood?)

Let us begin by defining what learning is:-

Learning is, according to Wikipedia, "the process of acquiring new or modifying existing knowledge, behaviours, skills, values, or preferences".

Before you fall guilty of anthropocentricity, see what Wikipedia further said:- "The ability to learn is possessed by humans, animals, and some machines". It doesn't end there, Wikipedia also had this to say:- "There is also evidence for some kind of learning in some plants".

And, for all you adherents of John Locke who believe that we are born as clean wax tablets, research has shown that learning begins even before birth, so a newborn is not necessarily impression-free. Of course, a foetus would not learn to solve quadratic equations while it's curled up in its mother's womb. Rather, the form of learning which takes places prenatally is known as "habituation" (This has been observed to occur as early as 32 weeks into gestation.)

Now that we have established the definition of learning, and also learned that even machines are capable of learning to some extent, let us now try to understand the things that fuel learning (in humans)—that will to power that propels a person to learn a new language, or to learn to play the violin, or to learn to write a computer code.

Consider these two scenarios:

Scenario 1: Garfield loves Maria for her intelligence. He knows it's pointless but his feelings nonetheless have taken a romantic turn. The major glitch however is that Maria speaks and understands only Croatian, while Garfield speaks and understands only English. In order to impress Maria, Garfield sets out determined on a quest to learn Croatian.

Scenario 2: Kunle was driving one day when he came across a purple gorilla riding a bicycle. Kunle was impressed by this unusual sight and has dedicated the remainder of his life to understanding everything about bicycle-riding purple gorillas.

Those two scenarios mirror the two major things that drive learning in humans. In Scenario 1, we see "motivation" playing a role in Garfield's desire to learn Croatian (romantic motivation in this case). And in Scenario 2, we can very clearly see the inalienable factor of "curiosity" playing a critical role in Kunle's wanting to learn about purple King Kongs. (You might not have been told, but before curiosity killed the cat, it first made it more knowledgeable.)

Motivation and curiosity are primarily what drives humans to want to learn. Besides, if man as a creature were incapable of learning, then the entire human race would have long gone into extinction. If we were incapable of learning or incapable of forming long-term memory impressions, then we wouldn't even remember that playing with fire is dangerous, or that snakes have poisonous venom, or that a scorpion's sting could prove fatal. Even if we as a species somehow managed to beat natural selection and did not go extinct, then we would very likely be at the bottom of the food chain. (Therefore, even at the evolutionary level, learning is necessary for survival.)

For the remainder of the article, we would touch on these two things in detail:

1) How to maximise your learning/studying (Conditions to have in place)

2) How to study, understand, and remember all you read

P.S.: In order to avoid generalizing to a fault, the other two units have been tailored to cater specifically to the learning needs of university/polytechnic students. But in practice, the principles are generally applicable to everyone.

Subsequently, too, the word "learn" will be interchanged with "study", since in the other two units we would treat the phenomenon of learning purely in the academic/scholarly sense.

Great writ.
We need more of you in Nigerian Academia to help restructure this flawed education system.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by calculator123(m): 6:16pm On Jul 31, 2019
I had to login to make this comment.
Darkrebel69, I must confess that I am truly impressed by your write-up. You kept me spell bound from start to finish. You write well too.
I had always known about the spaced repeated learning. I used it during my Undergraduate studies and it worked well. Albeit, I noticed I recall numbers more than words.
I barely forget phone numbers, addresses etc but can forget words.
Why so?
What can I do to reverse it?
cc; DarkRebel69
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by mete3: 10:15am On Oct 05, 2020
cheesy cool cool

Highly Commendable

Kudos to the Writer

You deserve a golden medal

1 Like

Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by akaahs(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2020
DarkRebel69:

Thank you, sir.

I have heard lots of complaints from students and colleagues alike over their inability to retain most of what they read—a problem as I have discovered in most cases traces back to the poor study techniques they applied to their learning. That is why I have written this piece and tried to make it as comprehensive as possible so as to help those students and non-students who are yet unaware of proper and effective study methods.

Mynd44, Fynestboi, Lalasticlala—(This exposition was thoroughly researched and I'm certain too that it would be of immense benefit to students and non-students alike who are in need of an appropriate study methodology.

Kindly do well to move this to the front page so that it can have a wider audience coverage. Trust me, it would be a brilliant way to kick off this beautiful Thursday morning. )
Can u put those beautiful write up into a book for up coming generation?
One of my problem has always been *attention* my mind always wondering each time I'm reading/study. Just hope ur piece ll help me.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Ahappy: 1:59pm On Nov 01, 2020
DarkRebel69:

please boss,can you teach me how to use this anki droid app....
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Semimi: 9:21pm On Nov 18, 2020
DarkRebel69:
[PART 3 OF 3]

I did not know mnemonists exist in Nigeria.Lol
I am also a Pro mnemonist.I memorized 2000 digits of pi(trying to level up with Dominic's 5000) quite a long ago and I can vividly remember every bit at any time.
I have some 500journeys with 100 stages each clearly stored in my brain.(If you know what i mean).I combined my journeys with Lts system for verbatim memorization and I held unto 6 textbooks in my brain verbatim.I was inspired by Antonio Di Marco Magliabechi(dude memorized an entire library verbatim).
With Tesla's zodiac system,I can perform complex mathematical calculations including Integral and differential calculus without using a pen.
I have only been practicing all these years and I am considering starting something big next year.
I want to be on the News,and I will start by applying for the World Memoriad as stand alone.

I am happy to know there are mnemonists on Nairaland smiley

And hey,pro tip:the Raikov effect truly works if you did not know... smiley
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Semimi: 9:30pm On Nov 18, 2020
Ahappy:

please boss,can you teach me how to use this anki droid app....

Hey
I once used that
Jeez,it may take you a while to understand it.
But,
You can download their manual from their website.
Mind you,it's an app that requires keen dedication.
I know guys that used it to clear off their USMLE Steps...
A little advice,if you will be using it for Lecture/Schoolwork,use Clozes and not Basic cards... Trust me,it's going to save you a whole lot of pain and stress.
And are you a University student or in Secondary school?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Ahappy: 7:45am On Nov 19, 2020
Semimi:

Hey
I once used that
But,
A little advice,if you will be using it for Lecture/Schoolwork,use Clozes and not Basic cards... Trust me,it's going to save you a whole lot of pain and stress.

I am a part one student of the federal university of technology akure.
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Semimi: 9:56am On Nov 19, 2020
Ahappy:

I am a part one student of the federal university of technology akure.

You are Akosile Emmanuel
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Ahappy: 11:42am On Nov 19, 2020
Semimi:

You are Akosile Emmanuel

That's my friend, where did you get to know him?
Are you a futarian?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Semimi: 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2020
Ahappy:

That's my friend, where did you get to know him?
Are you a futarian?

Naah
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Ahappy: 7:28pm On Nov 19, 2020
Semimi:

Naah
Then how did you know that name?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Semimi: 8:44pm On Nov 19, 2020
Ahappy:

Then how did you know that name?
smiley
I just know
Have you downloaded the app?
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Davy04(m): 8:28pm On Nov 21, 2020
Semimi:

Hey
I once used that
But,
Actually, it's is advisable to use your normal way of reading,it can fustrate oo
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Hamzasaid(m): 1:43pm On Feb 06, 2021
[i][/i]
Semimi:

I did not know mnemonists exist in Nigeria.Lol
I am also a Pro mnemonist.I memorized 2000 digits of pi(trying to level up with Dominic's 5000) quite a long ago and I can vividly remember every bit at any time.
I have some 500journeys with 100 stages each clearly stored in my brain.(If you know what i mean).I combined my journeys with Lts system for verbatim memorization and I held unto 6 textbooks in my brain verbatim.I was inspired by Antonio Di Marco Magliabechi(dude memorized an entire library verbatim).
With Tesla's zodiac system,I can perform complex mathematical calculations including Integral and differential calculus without using a pen.
I have only been practicing all these years and I am considering starting something big next year.
I want to be on the News,and I will start by applying for the World Memoriad as stand alone.

I am happy to know there are mnemonists on Nairaland smiley

And hey,pro tip:the Raikov effect truly works if you did not know... smiley

please could you shed more light on that
Re: The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read by Johnwick64: 6:52pm On Feb 08, 2022
I remember when I read this year's back, was still in sec school. Now am a fresher in the uni, I had to go through a lot of stress to dig up this gem. God bless the op. Your post are worth gold

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Solution To Your Matlab Projects / 10 Most Beautiful Universities In Nigeria (Pictures) / WAEC Blacklists Abia Schools Over Exam Malpractice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.