Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,178 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" (13921 Views)

Ugwu Leaf Is Not A Yoruba Word. They Call It Efo Igbo And It's Not Commonly / Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / The Origin Of Iyawo (yoruba Word For Wife) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by grandeur2017(f): 12:21am On Oct 28, 2017
i"ve searched online but i've been getting confusing results. I'll appreciate your help!

1 Share

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by jdluv(f): 1:31am On Oct 28, 2017
grandeur2017:
i"ve searched online but i've been getting confusing results. I'll appreciate your help!
igi araba
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by grandeur2017(f): 9:26am On Oct 28, 2017
jdluv:
igi araba

Thanks alot for this. However i've been having some people tell me that "Igi Odan" is Oak Tree. Could it be possible that It has two names in yoruba language?
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Cuddlebugie(f): 5:08pm On Oct 28, 2017
jdluv:
igi araba
Igi araba is kapok, not oak tree
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by jdluv(f): 5:13pm On Oct 28, 2017
Cuddlebugie:
Igi araba is kapok, not oak tree
then i suggest you check yoruba bible

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Cuddlebugie(f): 5:27pm On Oct 28, 2017
jdluv:
then i suggest you check yoruba bible
How about you tell me the book of the Bible to look out for?
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by jdluv(f): 1:45pm On Oct 29, 2017
grandeur2017:
Cuddlebugie:
How about you tell me the book of the Bible to look out for?
check the bible got these verses gen35.8,joshua19.33,joshua24.26, judges6 .11 The yoruba bible calls it 'oaku hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 5:54pm On Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure there's any tree in the Yorùbá countryside that is called oak, therefore it might be difficult to get the name in Yorùbá language
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by ElsonMorali: 10:52am On Nov 28, 2017
rhektor:
I'm not sure there's any tree in the Yorùbá countryside that is called oak, therefore it might be difficult to get the name in Yorùbá language

there is.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 11:23am On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

there is.

Where is it? And what is it called?
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by ElsonMorali: 11:54am On Nov 28, 2017
rhektor:

Where is it? And what is it called?

where is what? Oak tree? That's just like asking me "where is iroko tree in Yoruba land?"

They are all over the south west. you can find them in Oyo town, Ondo town etc.

As for the name though, i think it's igi Ose or igi Araba. Not quite sure which one.

Elderly Yoruba peeps will know.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 12:02pm On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

where is what? Oak tree? That's just like asking me "where is iroko tree in Yoruba land?"

As for the name though, i think it's igi Ose or igi Araba. Not quite sure which one.

There are Ìrókò trees all over Yorùbáland, Àràbà is also here in Yorubaland but you cannot tell me that Àràbà is oak because Àràbà has torns all over its body unlike oak tree
So try another name
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Another thing is that araba is usually very tall unlike oak
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by ElsonMorali: 12:04pm On Nov 28, 2017
rhektor:

There are Ìrókò trees all over Yorùbáland, Árábà is also here in Yorubaland but you cannot tell me that Árábà is oak because Árábà has torns all over its body unlike oak tree
So try another name

i gave two possible names. igi Ose or igi Araba.

There are oak trees in Oyo town and there are oak trees in Ondo town, that i have seen with my own eyes.

if you are yoruba and you really want the name, you know where to go.

oh btw, the ami you put on Araba is wrong. Àràbà

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 1:34pm On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

There are oak trees in Oyo town and there are oak trees in Ondo town, that i have seen with my own eyes.

OK if there are oak trees in Ọ̀yọ́ and Ondo as you've said we would have the real name recorded even in the Yorùbá Bible but alas igi ooku is waht we see. Which means that the interpreter used what is called " ìlànà àfetíyá " bread = búrẹ́dì, blade = bíléèdì.
I guess you understand my point?
And for your correction on Àràbà thank you sir, it was an error on my part

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 1:36pm On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I have seen igi Oṣè before in my village it is not oak and can never be oak
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 1:38pm On Nov 28, 2017
ElsonMorali:

I have seen igi Oṣe in my village it is not an oak and can never be an oak
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by ElsonMorali: 4:40pm On Nov 28, 2017
rhektor:

OK if there are oak trees in Ọ̀yọ́ and Ondo as you've said we would have the real name recorded even in the Yorùbá Bible but alas igi ooku is waht we see. Which means that the interpreter used what is called " ìlànà àfetíyá " bread = búrẹ́dì, blade = bíléèdì.
I guess you understand my point?
And for your correction on Àràbà thank you sir, it was an error on my part

Well, If you insist. But ask around. Don't just conclude.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Igi Ose is Baobab / Adansonia digitata

ElsonMorali:

Well, If you insist. But ask around. Don't just conclude.

Oak don't grow in Nigeria sir , it is native to Southern Africa and Northern Africa but central Africa? No

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by ElsonMorali: 12:48pm On Nov 29, 2017
rhektor:

Igi Ose is Baobab / Adansonia digitata

Oak don't grow in Nigeria sir , it is native to Southern Africa and Northern Africa but central Africa? No

Oh yeah. That's correct. I was thinking of baobab the whole time. You are right. Igi Ose is indeed Baobab.

Sorry about that. I meant baobab, not Oak.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by rhektor(m): 1:11pm On Nov 29, 2017
ElsonMorali:

Oh yeah. That's correct. I was thinking of baobab the whole time. You are right. Igi Ose is indeed Baobab.

Sorry about that. I meant baobab, not Oak.

No problem sir, one love

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by grandeur2017(f): 12:32pm On Feb 18, 2018
I found a page where it's stated that OAK is called IGI APADO
Thanks for all your contributions.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Olu317(m): 3:23pm On Nov 04, 2019
grandeur2017:
I found a page where it's stated that OAK is called IGI APADO
Thanks for all your contributions.
àpádo or igi oakú
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Lonelypacifist6: 1:57pm On Nov 25, 2019
Oak is gedu.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by googi: 3:53pm On Nov 25, 2019
Now I am totally confused.

What is the name of the prominent tree at Isale Eko in Lagos?

There is also Idi Araba in Lagos. Is it named after the tree?
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Olu317(m): 7:02pm On Nov 28, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
Oak is gedu.
Are you really serious? You must be a funny lad.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Lonelypacifist6: 7:30pm On Nov 28, 2019
Olu317:
Are you really serious? You must be a funny lad.
Lad ke? ye mogbe That's whati know it as ooo.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Olu317(m): 11:25pm On Nov 28, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
Don't bother about the lad thing, because the person I quoted while I posited the other meaning to identify the meaning by me was not a self knowledge of mine but of 1911 dictionary.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Olu317(m): 11:27pm On Nov 28, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
Don't bother about the lad thing, because the person I quoted earlier was right about the Yoruba meaning of oak tree while I posited the other meaning to identify it which as far as I am concern it is of 1911 Yoruba dictionary. The point is,no man is at the outright pinnacle of all knowledge.
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by Techhybabe: 12:39pm On Nov 30, 2019
Please what's the Yoruba name of "Pine tree". Thank you
Re: What Is The Yoruba Word For "Oak Tree" by henryobinna(m): 2:49am On May 01, 2020
I was also doing a research on the Oak tree though not looking for the Yoruba name, I saw this article https://funfactoday.com/nature-facts/the-oak-tree/
Quite exposed me to somethings I never knew about the tree and it's long age.

(1) (Reply)

Yorubas From Ijebu Are Descendents of North Sudan's Nubians / Which Tribe Has The Most Beautiful Women And Handsome Men? / Accent That Fascinates Or Annoys You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.