Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? (21850 Views)

Innoson Bus Used For Public Transport Spotted In Lagos (Pictures) / BBNaija: Was Mercy Shortchanged With The Innoson Car Prize? / Oluwo Of Iwo's Innoson Car Spotted In UNILAG (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Nowujeda(m): 8:53am On Oct 28, 2017
I've been wondering, since Innoson's car isn't imported, do I need to still pay custom duty if I decide to get one of their vehicles?

Cc: lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by xreal: 9:04am On Oct 28, 2017
Nowujeda:
I've been wondering, since Innoson's car isn't imported , do I need to still pay custom duty if I decide to get one of their vehicles?

You have answered the question.

Custom duty is for imported items.

However, anything can happen in Nigeria.
A custom officer might stop you on the road to request for its customers papers. It's now left for you to explain things to him; pray he isn't drunk and armed.

265 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by verygudbadguy(m): 9:27am On Oct 28, 2017
xreal:

A custom officer might stop you on the road to request for its customers papers. It's now left for you to explain things to him; pray he isn't drunk and armed.
grin You have said it all. Our uniform officers can be crazy sometimes.

93 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by nurey(m): 10:50am On Oct 28, 2017
Nowujeda:
I've been wondering, since Innoson's car isn't imported, do I need to still pay custom duty if I decide to get one of their vehicles?

Innoson vehicles were brought in as a CKD (completely knockdown kit) and assembled in Nigeria, there is zero import duty on such vehicles so you don't need a custom document for it.

If you are forcefully stopped, don't fret, let them take the car, you just get a lawyer and sue their ass for damages that will leave the Nigerian economy in recession till thy kingdom come.

It's the same privilege Peugeot cars enjoy, no custom officer would stop all those old Peugeot because they came into Nigeria as CKD too and its hard to differentiate an imported one from bought brand new in Nigeria.

80 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by XXLDICK(m): 7:36am On Oct 29, 2017
You don't need to jare. Innoson has already paid them in full for the knocked down parts imported by him. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Omooba224: 7:36am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

Especially the weed triggered and uneducated policemen
Police is your FRIEND my foot
I love my country
grin grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by chloride6: 7:36am On Oct 29, 2017
Do you know the meaning of duty?

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Nobody: 7:36am On Oct 29, 2017
grin
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Papiikush: 7:37am On Oct 29, 2017
Custom duties on home made cars? I hate this country.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by pawesome(m): 7:41am On Oct 29, 2017
grin
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:44am On Oct 29, 2017
buyer/seller/manufacturer is required to pay an excise duty, the bearer can be any of the three depending on how the manufacturer wishes to, but ultimately, buyer pays, excise duty is just the opposite of import duty, so the custom is meant to collect it also and a certificate is to be issued.

modified
op, i just checked through customs site, motor vehicle isnt eligible according to our excise duty list of eligible products, however, there is a clause on it, which is govt policy might include a product not on the list, but i cant say if there is any current policy to that effect.
https://www.customs.gov.ng/Guidelines/Excise/

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by echelons(m): 7:47am On Oct 29, 2017
No na.

Custom Duty is only paid on imported items.
All new vehicles, purchased in Nigeria don't have custom duty on them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by kolajoo(m): 7:54am On Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Onyenna(m): 7:54am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

OP, here's your answer...
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by anthony86(m): 7:55am On Oct 29, 2017
You would have to produce evidence that you paid an excise duty. Don't forget their mandate is to collect Custom and excise dutues for the government.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by nairaman66(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2017
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by jonadaft: 7:56am On Oct 29, 2017
In naija, anything is possible

1 Like

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by Redstone(m): 7:56am On Oct 29, 2017
All you need is verifiable receipt of your brand new car. No need for customs paper if you bought a brand new car in Nigeria.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by echelons(m): 7:58am On Oct 29, 2017
nurey:

Innoson vehicles were brought in as a CKD (completely knockdown kit) and assembled in Nigeria, there is zero import duty on such vehicles so you don't need a custom document for it.

If you are forcefully stopped, don't fret, let them take the car, you just get a lawyer and sue their ass for damages that will leave the Nigerian economy in recession till thy kingdom come.

It's the same privilege Peugeot cars enjoy, no custom officer would stop all those old Peugeot because they came into Nigeria as CKD too and its hard to differentiate an imported one from bought brand new in Nigeria.

I don't think Peugeot enjoys any privilege. As long as you have a receipt showing you bought the car brand new within the country, you're excempted from paying Custom duty but if you don't have any receipt of internal purchase especially for a newer model of car, you're on your own, whether it's Peugeot or Honda or any other foreign brand.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by OlujobaSamuel: 7:58am On Oct 29, 2017
anthony86:
You would have to produce evidence that you paid an excise duty. Don't forget their mandate is to collect Custom and excise dutues for the government.
your head is there jare.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by obailala(m): 8:00am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

Bolded is where the trouble is; evn if it was an importrd vehicle and even if you had you complete papers, the bolded bit above could still breed problems. undecided

4 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by maisauki: 8:03am On Oct 29, 2017
my bro ur life is important
really u need not pay customs duties on locally produced cars but if ure traveling and any of dia officers stop and request for it try to quic discern which of ds would be beta for him; tip him,explain to him or make him giv u papers
ONCE AGAIN UR LIFE IS IMPORTANT
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by RichDad1(m): 8:12am On Oct 29, 2017
Nowujeda:

You need to because Innosson has paid the relevant duties on the imported components.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by deepwater(f): 8:14am On Oct 29, 2017
No, OP you do not need to.
I know you already have the answer to this question since you are educated. Customs are present in production plants as well recording and taking duties on production so no need to pay that twice from owners side as the company has factored same into the face value of the car already.

But u see what fear can do to a man. You have started asking obvious questions not because you do not know the answers but because you are AFRAID.

Afraid of what an uneducated custom officer will do to an educated car owner on the high way. Yes you could be killed with an AK 47 for driving a brand new car without custom papers and the story carried by P. M news and forgotten by A. M the next day

Now this is what a nation gets when they allow the uneducated rule the educated. Fear of the unknown sets in, if this trend continues, I would not be surprised when someone will ask "will government allow my children to attend good schools in Lagos even when I am just a good grade 8 civil servant? "

Let me break your fears down to you for proper understanding:

The case here is:
1. You
2. The illiterate custom officer
3. Your car

Similarly.

1. You
2. The illiterate ruler
3. Your country

Hope y'all see that whatever may happen to your car will happen to your country because illiteracy is promoted in the system

undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by MorataFC: 8:20am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

grin
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by kYjelly2: 8:28am On Oct 29, 2017
Useless shittthole of a country
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by victorazyvictor(m): 8:31am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by histemple: 8:32am On Oct 29, 2017
xreal:

"Pray he isn't drunk and armed". Epic

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by doublezero7(m): 8:51am On Oct 29, 2017
deepwater:
No, OP you do not need to.
I know you already have the answer to this question since you are educated. Customs are present in production plants as well recording and taking duties on production so no need to that twice from owners side as the company has factored same into the fave value of the car.

But u see what fear can do to a man. You have started asking obvious questions not because you do not know the answers but because you are AFRAID.

Afraid of what an uneducated custom officer will do to an educated car owner on the high way. Yes you could be killed with an AK 47 for driving a brand new car without custom papers and the story carried by P. M news and forgotten by A. M the next day

Now this is what a nation gets when they allow the uneducated rule the educated. Fear of the unknown sets in, if this trend continues, I would not be surprised when someone will ask "will government allow my children to attend good schools in Lagos even when I am just a good grade 8 civil servant? "

Let me break your fears down to you for proper understanding:

The case here is:
1. You
2. The illiterate custom officer
3. Your car

Similarly.

1. You
2. The illiterate ruler
3. Your country

Hope y'all see that whatever may happen to your car will happen to your country because illiteracy is promoted in the system

undecided

nice post...I am very impressed! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by eagleeye2: 8:52am On Oct 29, 2017
Right is wrong in this country. Likewise, wrong is right. Shakespeare said it that year, Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair ; but we all laughed at how absurd Shakespeare's thought process must be.
Re: Do I Need To Pay Custom Duty If I Buy Innoson Car? by thedondada(m): 8:54am On Oct 29, 2017
Of course not

But any uniformed man will ask for papers of a brand new car right in front of the lot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Display Of Cars At The LA Auto Show 2018 - Photos / Innoson Motors To Establish World Class Manufacturing Plant In Uyo / Land Rover Launches V8 Edition Defender To Celebrate 70th Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.