Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. (1300 Views)

Why The Council Conducts Wassce On Credit By Patrick Areghan / Regulation Of Online Ads By APCON / Lady Crushed To Death In Front Of Her Shop As Trailer Suffers Brake Failure (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. by oluade11: 8:50pm On Oct 28, 2017
Hello Nairalanders! Hear me out.
Interestingly, coren is the body regulating engineering practises in Nigeria and also registering engineers. I respect the members and the body.
Sadly, in spite of the prestigious position held by coren in the society, the majority of the members are languishing in poverty> There is no welfare scheme for the members!
It is so sad>
Except for the few engineers that have risen over the years or are executive members of the body and have access to politicians hence are getting contract, the average nigerian engineers are wallowing in poverty.

Registering as member of coren is tedious and costly but there is nothing to look forward to afterward.
You still see registered engineers after paqrading the street for years still been paid 30k, 50k and other ridiculous amout. Yet, they are registered.
The executives of coren are busy sucking the stipend of the upcoming enginners or are busy lobbying for contracts.

This is sad.
Engineering is the number one profession in the world and the bedrock for the development of any economy!

If coren is performing, it means the engineers there are good and performing. For any engineer to perform, he/she must have been well trained,retrained and experienced. Good training is expensive!

How will the Engineers collecting 30k or 50k undergo good training when they are at the mercy of poverty. How will the engineer that is busy thinking how to survive be creative. He has to think of how to get water, how his light will not be cut off, how his zsalary will carry him for the month!
How can he be creative and be able to compete with fellow engineers around the world.

Interestingly, i am a registered engineer and work with the federal government for over ten years. I joined as a graduate.

Till date, there is nothing to show for the ten years of hardworking but poverty! After over ten years of hardwork and commitment , i earn less than 110k monthly! There is nothing else coming in apart from the salary.

I see my colleagues in other department like marketing, sales, finance, stores doing so well, building houses and using cars but the engineers who are the bedrock of the organisation wallow in poverty.

coren is okay with it.

We have nurses in my head offices. Interestingly, because the nurses and other medical workers have bodies that protect the staffs and prioritise the welfare, they have a salary scale and collect living wage.

These young nurses earn more than directors in my corporation.

COREN has no salary scale and nothing in place to protect its members. Yet, it has the audacity going round ministries, agencies, parastatals and other companies demanding engineers must be registered . The registration procedure is tedious, rigorous and costly such that many are always postponing it!

For a person to be called a registered engineers, there must be benefit, packages, training and welfare scheme that makes it worthwhile.

The federal government is a culprit. I have been with thefederal government and have only gone for in-house training twice. I am even among the fortunate.

Most of my colleagues have not attended any training since they joined the parastatal!!
It is so sad!

COREN has to brace up and put member welfare as priority!

In the medical line, Engineers manages the equipment and yet they are poorly remunerated compared to the doctors and other medical workers. The trend must change.

COREN has failed and has no right to demand that Engineers, technologist, technicians, artisans and other ancillary workers must be registered with them when there are no benefits attached to being a member! Engineers are the bedrock of any organisation, agriculture, health, industries and country at last and must be treated with this in mind.

Thanks.
Re: The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. by rottennaija(m): 9:00pm On Oct 28, 2017
Very good post. Hope this makes front page. Same thing we engineers suffers in the service

lalasticlala
Re: The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. by michaelokoi(m): 9:24pm On Oct 28, 2017
COREN is just after registration of engineers so they can get dues. I studied elect/elect emgineering but now practicing biomedical engineering in a teaching hospital after being trained. Employed on level 7 instead of 8 as done for other professionals whom their regulatory body fought for them. Coren is selfish n with these, I can't advice someone to study engineering in Nigeria.
Re: The Failure Of 'the Council For The Regulation Of Engineers' COREN. by philipciveng(m): 10:49am On Dec 26, 2019
For guide on how to successfully pass NSE exams, past questions 80+pages, sample of volume 1 and volume 2 reports(for all candidate) and help on volume 2 report (manual design) for civil engineering candidate contact me on philipciveng@gmail.com and 08050894771 WhatsApp, 08132447529 voice call

Note: without excellent technical report u won't even qualify to write part 2 exam and if you rely on software design, your examiner will tell you that using software doesn't mean you know it, and some branches accepts software but you can never get the same mark as someone who uses manual design.

(1) (Reply)

GET 2GB Data With Just #500 / Lord Lucn Feat. Denzel Curry - Zeltron Takeover Freestyle / Proven To Be Powerful In Resolving Erectile Dysfunction Troubles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.