Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime (629 Views)

Why Do Some People Go About Without Bathing After Sex? / Avigan: Japan To Supply Coronavirus Drug To 43 Countries For Free / Bra-Shaped Face-Masks In Japan Sell Out Minutes After Launch (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 29, 2017
The first time you hear the term, you might assume “forest bathing” means splashing in a spring among some redwoods.

That sounds enjoyable, but it’s not correct: Forest bathing, or “shinrin-yoku″ in Japanese, basically consists of hanging out in the woods and reaping its health benefits (it translates to “taking in the forest atmosphere”). Any time you can walk among trees without distractions or hurrying ― ideally for two hours or more ― counts as a bath in the forest.

The Japanese government coined the term in the early 1980s, hailing forest bathing’s health benefits and pouring research dollars into an already popular national pastime. A 2012 article in Outside Magazine cemented the practice’s popularity in the U.S., and now, resorts and nature parks across the nation offer forest bathing walks that focus on soaking in the sights and sounds of nature.

One forest bathing expert predicts that in 30 years, it’ll be as much a cultural norm as yoga is now. Why?

Forest bathing leaves you less stressed.

From 2004 to 2012, the Japanese government heavily funded forest bathing research, Quartz reports. One study from researchers at Chiba University compared nearly 300 college-age subjects after they took walks in a city and after they walked in a forest. The students had lower concentrations of the stress hormone cortisol, lower pulse rates and and lower blood pressure after they took forest baths than on days when they’d walked in the city. Similarly, in a larger study led by researchers from Kyoto University, participants scored lower on ratings for hostility and depression after spending time in the woods compared to when they roamed an urban setting.

It may help ward off illnesses, too.

Additional research from Nippon Medical School found that immune-boosting human “natural killer” cells, which help protect against viruses and cancers, showed higher activity levels after subjects went forest bathing, increasing even further after a second day of walking in the woods. The cells continued to function at a higher level for more than a week after the experience, too.

It isn’t entirely clear why forest bathing works, The Washington Post notes: Some experts believe forest bathing’s health benefits come from inhaling phytoncides, the chemicals plants emit to protect themselves from bugs. Others aren’t so sure of the cause, saying perhaps increased feelings of awe are why forest bathers enjoy better health.

At any rate, it’s obvious nature benefits both mind and body: U.S.-based research shows nature walks clear your head more than city strolls, while one European study found that simply living in a tree-filled neighborhood decreased men’s death rates by 16 percent. Spending time in nature is also proven to relieve depression, improve focus, boost creativity and make you feel more alive.

In short, the forest is good for you.

And you won’t be-leaf how easy it is to do.

Japan has designated “forest therapy” walking paths, chosen for their therapeutic qualities, in forests across the nation. The U.S. has no such system, though you can become a certified forest therapy guide and lead others on their own outdoor adventures.

But training isn’t necessary: Simply find a spot with trees, and take a two-hour walk while savoring the sights, sounds and smells of nature without rushing. Breathe deeply, sit occasionally, and touch the trees and plants around you. Soon, you just might find yourself with a greater love for nature ― and a healthier body, too.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/forest-bathing_us_5979204ce4b0da64e87663bd
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Bestchisom(m): 4:51pm On Oct 29, 2017
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 11:20pm On Oct 30, 2017
have you tried this yourself to experience the benefits first hand or you just shared the story for sharing sake?
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 30, 2017
fabiano09:
have you tried this yourself to experience the benefits first hand or you just shared the story for sharing sake?

Oh yes, I have tried it myself and still do!
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by YabaLeftist: 10:00am On Oct 31, 2017
Gluhbirne:

I'd love to forest bath with you. smiley I'm a lover of nature; trees, grass, rivers, etc. Where do you live? smiley
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 10:39am On Oct 31, 2017
Gluhbirne:

where do you live? do u have forests?
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 10:41am On Oct 31, 2017
YabaLeftist:

I'd love to forest bath with you. smiley I'm a lover of nature; trees, grass, rivers, etc. Where do you live? smiley
2 of you alone in a forest? and you are from yaba left,gurbine make sure you go with a revolver lol
Re: Why You Need To Try 'forest Bathing,' Japan's Stress-zapping Pastime by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 01, 2017
My Bible will be my only weapon. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Post Orgasm Illness Syndrome (p.o.i.s) / Treat Urinary Tract Infections Fast With Stage A Herbal Tea / Control Diabetes With Diet And Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.