Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn (8022 Views)

External Reserves Hit $38.7bn, Rise By 50% In One Year / Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit Four Year High Of $38.2bn — Emefiele / Nigeria’s External Reserves Hit 3-year High At $33.112 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by straneur(m): 6:05am On Oct 30, 2017
The nation’s external reserves have hit $34bn from $33.6bn attained on October 25, the Central Bank of Nigeria has stated.

The reserves have been appreciating very fast after hitting $32bn on September 18.

The Deputy Governor, Financial System Stability, CBN, Dr. Joseph Nnanna, who disclosed the latest figure in Lagos on Saturday, said the exchange rate stability achieved so far by the apex bank had come to stay.

He expressed confidence that the usual end-of-the-year rush would not push up the naira-dollar exchange rate contrary to some people’s expectations.

The CBN deputy governor said this while fielding questions from journalists at a forum organised by the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria.

Nnanna was among the chief executive officers of companies who were conferred with the CIBN Fellowship Awards.

Asked if the exchange rate would go up as the end of the year was approaching, Nnanna said, “No, the rate will not go up, take it from me. We have achieved stability and the stability is here to stay.

“The sustainability is already evident, the reserves are growing. As I speak, the reserves are $34bn. When we had volatility, the reserves were as low as $20bn. But let me say one thing: Nigeria can make do with a reserve level of $20bn but it is the press who gives the impression that if the reserves fall below $30bn, then there is a problem.

“No, there is no problem. All we need to manage the economy and manage it properly is reserves that can cover at least three months of import. And in fact, as it is, $10bn or $12bn can give us reserve coverage of four months.”

The CBN chief said the Investors and Exporters foreign exchange window had performed beyond the bank’s expectations, adding that forex inflows in the past few months were huge.

Nnanna stated, “Our exchange rate is convergent; we are getting southward. In the IMF, they talk about the need to have one rate. The one rate can happen organically or inorganically. For us at the CBN, we believe that organic convergence is the way to go. Inorganic convergence, which is forced, will always produce an arbitrage and that we don’t want.

The President, CIBN, Prof. Segun Ajibola, said a flexible exchange rate was helpful in an environment that lacked hiccups in forex management and supply strategies.

He stated, “But in an environment that is so susceptible to the vagaries of foreign exchange market, in terms of inflow of foreign exchange income and over-reliance on basic items for importation, you run the risk of allowing the exchange rate to go to the rooftop, if you free it absolutely.

“Normally, you hardly find any economy where the foreign exchange management succumbs totally to the forces of demand and supply. The best that we have seen is managed floating, which is what the Central Bank of Nigeria introduced in February this year. But as the economy stabilises and is diversified, and as we see more sources of forex earnings stabilising, especially the non-oil export, then we can be more and more flexible in our foreign exchange management policy.”

http://investorsking.com/cbn-rules-naira-fall-external-reserves-hit-34bn/

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by Oyiboman69: 6:07am On Oct 30, 2017
Now I know election is near,things seems to be better including electricity in my area

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by GavelSlam: 6:08am On Oct 30, 2017
Reserves climbing.

Kudos to those concerned.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by hisgrace090: 6:39am On Oct 30, 2017
If the naira fail to fall it will amount to exploitation of the masses.
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by tstx(m): 7:23am On Oct 30, 2017
Jonzing currency
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by hezy4real01(m): 7:23am On Oct 30, 2017
OK so. no reach abi....? but e close, Smh yeye people
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by sekem: 7:23am On Oct 30, 2017
That's good

2 Likes

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by SillyMods: 7:24am On Oct 30, 2017
Kudos to the team

4 Likes

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by olisasegun(m): 7:25am On Oct 30, 2017
Nice one CBN

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by cana882(m): 7:31am On Oct 30, 2017
Good to know
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by echelons(m): 7:32am On Oct 30, 2017
In as much I'd love a stable currency, the CBN should work hard to improve the value of the Naira. N360/$ is still too high especially because we virtually import everything into the country and more than average Nigerian finds his/cashflow stagnating at what it used to be in first quarter of 2015 or even going lower.

CBN pls epp us, we can't buy anything again, and bae is not happy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 30, 2017
I doubt.

So long as oil is not above our needed minimum of $ 120 per barrel, naira will fall

Want a strong naira? Become a strong exporter of manufactured goods.

Who oil EPP?

3 Likes

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by Throwback: 7:36am On Oct 30, 2017
This foreign reserve growth in an era of reduced income from oil, might be the only thing Buhari will have to boast of when compared to the Jonathan administration.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by martineverest(m): 7:37am On Oct 30, 2017
Awesome.... I hope they achieve their target of 40bn by the end of d year, as promised by emefiele

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by GavelSlam: 7:37am On Oct 30, 2017
Oyiboman69:
Now I know election is near,things seems to be better including electricity in my area

You are confessing little by little.

5 Likes

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 30, 2017
Throwback:
This foreign reserve growth in an era of reduced income from oil, might be the only thing Buhari will have to boast of when compared to the Jonathan administration.

And it was achieved by strict restrictions put in place by a CBN governor who was there as a young banker for the similar stuff that happened with our economy during the last oil price fall from 1982-90, 91-2003

Experience is the best teacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by excel101(m): 7:42am On Oct 30, 2017
Good job. But its not imparting on the people.
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by CocoaOla: 7:45am On Oct 30, 2017
Oga naira no grow 1 naira = 385 dollar
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by BakireBulmaker: 7:46am On Oct 30, 2017
Speculators modath, EgunMogaji & onatisi won't like this.

Ntooooor to them tongue

1 Like

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by amodu(m): 7:55am On Oct 30, 2017
To me reserve is a redundant money
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by wristbangle: 7:57am On Oct 30, 2017
Naira suppose to have appreciated more than its current value

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by seunmsg(m): 8:06am On Oct 30, 2017
echelons:
In as much I'd love a stable currency, the CBN should work hard to improve the value of the Naira. N360/$ is still too high especially because we virtually import everything into the country and more than average Nigerian finds his/cashflow stagnating at what it used to be in first quarter of 2015 or even going lower.

CBN pls epp us, we can't buy anything again, and bae is not happy.

I agree with you completely, N360/1$ is still very high. CBN should do more to bring it down to below N250/$. The current high prices of food and other necessities will not come down until the exchange rate is substantially crashed.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by pat1612(m): 8:11am On Oct 30, 2017
Situation can improve further and all people round tripping dollar can stop is just for cbn to use system at their disposal to disperse dollar to genuine importers.all this banks and ogas at top are still miss using power allocated to them by cbn in allocating dollars.and is from experience that i am saying it i am waiting from past one year to get usd for my import from fcmb but my account officer says no dollar but at same time i am getting dollars from sterling Bank without any hassle and on time.
So how can two different banks give different results for same transaction that means something is wrong and cbn should fill loophole.
If it is dollar will reach 305 to 310 within 3 months.
But me i am not cbn governor

1 Like

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by wildchild02: 8:13am On Oct 30, 2017
Meaning what?

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get it customized FREE OF CHARGE!
Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by Pataricatering(f): 8:14am On Oct 30, 2017
GavelSlam:
Reserves climbing.

Kudos to those concerned.
I keep liking your comments !

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by 989900: 8:30am On Oct 30, 2017
We should have a stronger Naira. Something closer to N305/$ . . . I don't see how that distrupts the export and diversification drive.

If we've been saving at this rate since the oil boom period, we should be having reserves in excess of $100b.

The fxck the banks charge 375/$?!

Dangote refinery, I'm banking on ya.

Speculators, nothing lasts for forever.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Rules Out Naira Fall As External Reserves Hit $34bn by newslifeop: 8:32am On Oct 30, 2017
Good

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 8 Trusted E-commerce Website In Nigeria / I Have Serious Raw Gold Buyers In Turkey / Only Four Nigerian Banks Are Strong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.