Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:44 AM

Thanksgiving — Do The Right Thing. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Thanksgiving — Do The Right Thing. (478 Views)

Mods Should Not Destroy A FAMILY!! Please Do The Right Thing / Prayer Of Thanksgiving And Mercy For The Month Of July. / George Weah Set For Thanksgiving At Synagogue Church Of All Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thanksgiving — Do The Right Thing. by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:00pm On Oct 30, 2017
"Giving thanks always for all things to God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 5:20).

For the Christian, every day should be Thanksgiving Day. We should be thankful even in the midst of problems. The apostle Paul said, "I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation" (2 Corinthians 7:4). He knew that God was working all things together for his good, even his trials (Romans 8:28). Problems will come your way. God will see to it personally that you grow as a Christian. He will allow storms, to send your roots deep into the soil of His Word. We also pray more in the midst of problems. It's been well said that you will see more from your knees than on your tiptoes.

A man once watched a butterfly struggling to get out of its cocoon. In an effort to help it, he took a razor blade and carefully slit the edge of the cocoon. The butterfly escaped from its problem . . . but immediately died. It is God's way to have the butterfly struggle. It is the struggle that causes its tiny heart to beat fast, and send the life's blood into its wings.

Trials have their purpose. They make us struggle in the cocoon in which we often find ourselves. It is there that the life's blood of faith in God helps us spread our wings. Faith and thanksgiving are close friends. If you have faith in God, you will be thankful because you know His loving hand is upon you, even though you are in a lion's den. That will give you a deep sense of joy, which is the barometer of the depth of faith you have in God.

Let me give you an example. Imagine if I said I'd give one million dollars to everyone who emailed to me. Of course, you don't believe I would do that. But imagine if you did, and that you knew 1,000 people who had sent in the page, and every one received their million dollars—no strings attached. More than that, you actually called me, and I assured you personally that I would keep my word. If you believed me, wouldn't you have joy? If you didn't believe me—no joy. The amount of joy you have would be a barometer of how much you believed my promise.

We have so much for which to be thankful. God has given us —exceeding great and precious promises— that are more to be desired than gold. Do yourself a big favour: believe those promises, thank God continually for them, and "let your joy be full."

From, The Evidence Bible - http:///1bEnd2s

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort 29 October 2013 at 16:00 ·

1 Share

Re: Thanksgiving — Do The Right Thing. by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:26pm On Nov 09, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"Giving thanks always for all things to God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ" (Ephesians 5:20).

1 Share

Re: Thanksgiving — Do The Right Thing. by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2017
SPECIAL THANKSGIVING POST
Six Ways to Get an Unspeakable Joy -- Ray Comfort

The celebration of Thanksgiving was originally set aside as a day to thank God for His provision, but for many it's become like the ever popular "moment of silence." Years ago when there was a national tragedy, people didn't become momentarily silent as a sign of respect. They prayed. That was the normal thing to do. It was also once normal to have God at the center of Thanksgiving.

As Christians we should celebrate Thanksgiving every day, but for some a thankful heart can wane. Recently I received the following question from an Associate Pastor. He said, "The last couple of months something has happened to me on the inside. I don't know what it is but I have lost all desire for ministry. I still pray daily and read the Word, but things of ministry have no interest to me. I just cannot seem to stir myself back up. Any advice you think may help?"

I did have some advice that I thought would help. I told him that every day I ride a bike for 1 ½ miles and really push myself. But one day when I got back from the ride I was so out of breath I felt like giving up. Instead of giving up I pumped the tires until they were hard as rock, and came back the next day from the ride feeling like I could do push-ups. Air leaking out of tires is slow and quiet, but its result is devastating for those who are in a race.

Christians are in the ultimate race, so we need to regularly put the air back into our tires and seal the cap tight. If the joy of a heart of thanksgiving has been deflated, the only effective way to get pumped about God is to think seriously about our sins in the light of His moral Law (that He sees our lust as adultery, etc.) and our consequent just damnation.

Then we should think about that writhing body pinned by nails so that we could avoid Hell. Scripture says, "…let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrew 12:1-2).

There are also five other practical exercises you can do to get yourself pumped and joyously thankful to God. Start your day by holding your breath for a full 60 seconds or longer. That will make you thankful that you can breathe.

Then don't eat anything for 24 hours. Just drink water. That will make you thankful for food.

Next, visit a convalescent home for 2-3 hours and chat with those who still have a mind to chat. That will make you thankful for your mind and mobility.

Then take courage and visit a cancer ward in a hospital and share the gospel with those who are dying. That will make you thankful you are alive and have some sort of future.

Finally, spend some time in a graveyard, soberly reading the names and dates on the tombstones. Think about the person whose body is beneath your feet--about how long they lived and where they will spend eternity. You will probably get a clue by what's written on the tombstone. That will make every day Thanksgiving for you because of what Jesus did on the cross.

If these things don't work, you need to go back to square one and do this quick test: www.NeedGod.com

Happy Thanksgiving!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/official.Ray.Comfort5 27 November 2014 ·

www.livingwaters.com

(1) (Reply)

Spoke Two Weeks After Birth: Real Or Fake? / The Best Illustration On Tithing / Christianity, Magic & Science.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.