Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,638 members, 7,809,395 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:51 AM

In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. (3083 Views)

A Practical Guide On How To Brood Broilers / My DIY Aquaponics/greenhouse Setup In Ogun State / Dont Be Fooled, Here Is A Practical Cost Analysis Of Raising 100 Layer Birds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Pavore9: 11:33am On Oct 31, 2017
Do you have practical knowledge of managing a large set up of an aquaponic farm within a
greenhouse structure where exotic crops have been successfully grown and harvested. In the coming months I will be recruiting for a client who is setting up somewhere in the South west though the client's preference is getting a professional from Kenya as some big farms I know in Nigeria do.

I am throwing this open to ascertain if there is local skill for the position. If you fit in, send me a PM.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by maisauki: 2:28pm On Oct 31, 2017
aquaponic? na wetin be this one again?

2 Likes

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Yhemit(m): 2:46pm On Oct 31, 2017
maisauki:

me sef just dey observe also

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Pavore9: 3:39pm On Oct 31, 2017
maisauki:

In simple terms Aquaponics presents an integrated farming system whereby; waste wster from the fish pond is used as fertiliser for the plants(in this case we intend growing strawberries and some spices) and plants purify the water by removing the nutrients increasing oxygen concentration. The water from the plants is now purified and pumps back to the fish pond. The strawberries will be grown in PVC pipes without the use of soil but stones like gravel/granite.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 31, 2017
I really do not understand why the owner wants a Kenyan consultant. Well, Kenyans are good in their own ways but my observation is that they under perform when they get to Nigeria. Do not get me wrong, some of them might be good but success is more determined by the kind of farm set up and the management style. And these are your job.

Sir, believe me, you can employ Nigerians without too much indept knowledge and they will perform very well. Kenyans find it hard under the high temperature we have in South West and dealing with humidity is hard. It is why it is your job to make sure you get the appropriate equipment to handle these factors.

What is your job? Set up the farm very well. Outside temperature is 35C and can climb to 38C; hence, find a way to move it down to 28C. At worst 30C. Again, be ready to set up an excellent fungi preventive program because of high humidity in the area

Many farmers in Nigeria are beginning to use Calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, potassium hydroxide, etc which are the ingredients for managing PH in aquaponics. So, it is not new to many of them. They just need to follow your lead and guidelines. And for God so good, there are excellent fish farmers here. And many of them are good with tilapia which is the most used specie for aquaponics. Sure, cat fish can be used too but with a special technique.

I know a farm in Epe where two Kenyans were tried but they failed. The owner decided to bring in a Ghanian and the same happened. The farm is in a poor state as I am typing. But funny, the Nigerian workers there refused to leave the farm as they have mastered some vegetables and they are making money for themselves using the facilities there while the oga is busy looking for another Kenya. The guys have really helped themselves and I am sure they are praying oga should quickly find another Kenyan they can frustrate fast again. grin

In conclusion, I throw the challenge to you. Set the farm up perfectly and train your boys to handle every aspect of the farm. This is not an open field bro. This is a closed production where you can easily control the environment. And set up a good feed back so you can measure performance.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Pavore9: 6:24pm On Oct 31, 2017
fluentinfor:
I really do not understand why the owner wants a Kenyan consultant. Well, Kenyans are good in their own ways but my observation is that they under perform when they get to Nigeria. Do not get me wrong, some of them might be good but success is more determined by the kind of farm set up and the management style. And these are your job.

Sir, believe me, you can employ Nigerians without too much indept knowledge and they will perform very well. Kenyans find it hard under the high temperature we have in South West and dealing with humidity is hard. It is why it is your job to make sure you get the appropriate equipment to handle these factors.

What is your job? Set up the farm very well. Outside temperature is 35C and can climb to 38C; hence, find a way to move it down to 28C. At worst 30C. Again, be ready to set up an excellent fungi preventive program because of high humidity in the area

Many farmers in Nigeria are beginning to use Calcium hydroxide, calcium carbonate, potassium hydroxide, etc which are the ingredients for managing PH in aquaponics. So, it is not new to many of them. They just need to follow your lead and guidelines. And for God so good, there are excellent fish farmers here. And many of them are good with tilapia which is the most used specie for aquaponics. Sure, cat fish can be used too but with a special technique.

I know a farm in Epe where two Kenyans were tried but they failed. The owner decided to bring in a Ghanian and the same happened. The farm is in a poor state as I am typing. But funny, the Nigerian workers there refused to leave the farm as they have mastered some vegetables and they are making money for themselves using the facilities there while the oga is busy looking for another Kenya. The guys have really helped themselves and I am sure they are praying oga should quickly find another Kenyan they can frustrate fast again. grin

In conclusion, I throw the challenge to you. Set the farm up perfectly and train your boys to handle every aspect of the farm. This is not an open field bro. This is a closed production where you can easily control the environment. And set up a good feed back so you can measure performance.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your deep input. I am trying to sway the client into looking inward for the manager though materials needed to set up the units which should cover acres is being sourced from outside except for some like the PVC pipes that is to be sourced locally.

The units will be automated..temperature control, pumping of water, watering etc. It is will be 100% organic thus structure for rabbits is already reaching an advanced stage as the rabbit urine that is expected from it will be the pesticide that will be used for the strawberries and other crops.

I am reluctant to bring in foreigners to manage but client have zero trust in local capacity as he wants me to tap into my network in Kenya to head hunt for him.

2 Likes

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Oct 31, 2017
Pavore9:

Thanks for your deep input. I am trying to sway the client into looking inward for the manager though materials needed to set up the units which should cover acres is being sourced from outside except for some like the PVC pipes that is to be sourced locally.

The units will be automated..temperature control, pumping of water, watering etc. It is will be 100% organic thus structure for rabbits is already reaching an advanced stage as the rabbit urine that is expected from it will be the pesticide that will be used for the strawberries and other crops.

I am reluctant to bring in foreigners to manage but client have zero trust in local capacity as he wants me to tap into my network in Kenya to head hunt for him.

Do you really think there is anything like 100% organic? You will definitely use salts to adjust PH. You will definitely give the plants micro- nutrients too. You must add boron and iron if you really want good result. Also, best fungicides are mostly chemicals. Even sodium carbonate is not that organic. And if you check, copper based fungicide are now accepted in organic farms. Anyway, I still agree that aquaponics is organic but I disagree you can ever be able to do 100% organic. Not possible.

I do not mean to lecture you but i know most Kenyans use 50 mesh net for greenhouse and the climatic condition there accepts it. Please, do not be tempted to use that here; else, you will not like the result. And when you use the right mesh for our climate, you will have to deal with aphids, thrips, whiteflies more. Since you want to go organic, you must be sure rabbit urine can handle these terrible pests; else, your farm will have viral infections. My point again is that you must make sure you get the right equipment and materials for south west climate. It may not be the same used in Kenya. You must optimize your system.

If you automate the system and you get it right, I do not see any reason to have a special genius on the farm anymore. Honestly. My main concern is the source of power. Solar, gas, diesel, petrol or biogas?

You mentioned strawberry. You even need to lower the temperature more. Here is what I noticed in most farms. Energy consumption is always high and it affects profit. The next action is to use temperature control less because of high cost of energy. And the pressure is on the manager to use less energy and get high yield. This is tough and the owner starts looking for a guru to fine tune his bad system But if the system had been designed to use less energy, this situation would have been avoided. If the set up is perfect, a high school boy can manage it.

Here is what I would do if your client is bent on getting a Kenyan so called guru. I would make just 3 months contract with him to manage and train the Nigerian boys on farm. And I would make another 3 months contract remewal available just to make the owner comfortable. After 6 months, I would not need him anymore.

4 Likes

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by maisauki: 10:44pm On Oct 31, 2017
Pavore9:

In simple terms Aquaponics presents an integrated farming system whereby; waste wster from the fish pond is used as fertiliser for the plants(in this case we intend growing strawberries and some spices) and plants purify the water by removing the nutrients increasing oxygen concentration. The water from the plants is now purified and pumps back to the fish pond. The strawberries will be grown in PVC pipes without the use of soil but stones like gravel/granite.
na so u dey call am? e don tey wey w dey do integrated farming for north

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by joinnow: 12:23am On Nov 01, 2017
fluentinfor:

Do you really think there is anything like 100% organic? You will definitely use salts to adjust PH. You will definitely give the plants micro- nutrients too. You must add boron and iron if you really want good result. Also, best fungicides are mostly chemicals. Even sodium carbonate is not that organic. And if you check, copper based fungicide are now accepted in organic farms. Anyway, I still agree that aquaponics is organic but I disagree you can ever be able to do 100% organic. Not possible.

I do not mean to lecture you but i know most Kenyans use 50 mesh net for greenhouse and the climatic condition there accepts it. Please, do not be tempted to use that here; else, you will not like the result. And when you use the right mesh for our climate, you will have to deal with aphids, thrips, whiteflies more. Since you want to go organic, you must be sure rabbit urine can handle these terrible pests; else, your farm will have viral infections. My point again is that you must make sure you get the right equipment and materials for south west climate. It may not be the same used in Kenya. You must optimize your system.

If you automate the system and you get it right, I do not see any reason to have a special genius on the farm anymore. Honestly. My main concern is the source of power. Solar, gas, diesel, petrol or biogas?

You mentioned strawberry. You even need to lower the temperature more. Here is what I noticed in most farms. Energy consumption is always high and it affects profit. The next action is to use temperature control less because of high cost of energy. And the pressure is on the manager to use less energy and get high yield. This is tough and the owner starts looking for a guru to fine tune his bad system But if the system had been designed to use less energy, this situation would have been avoided. If the set up is perfect, a high school boy can manage it.

Here is what I would do if your client is bent on getting a Kenyan so called guru. I would make just 3 months contract with him to manage and train the Nigerian boys on farm. And I would make another 3 months contract remewal available just to make the owner comfortable. After 6 months, I would not need him anymore.

Hello
use 50 mesh net for greenhouse and the climatic condition there accepts it.
Which do you recommend for Nigeria
Where can one buy it ?
How much is it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 12:53am On Nov 01, 2017
joinnow:

Hello
use 50 mesh net for greenhouse and the climatic condition there accepts it.
Which do you recommend for Nigeria
Where can one buy it ?
How much is it?

50 mesh prevents very tiny pests which are the deadliest from entering but they still gain entrance if one is careless but effective; however, it traps heat. 50 mesh is situable for temperate climatic condition. So, it is logical to choose a wider mesh which can allow ventilation and 40 mesh is recommended but you will need to fight the tiny pests seriously.

Where you buy them? Israel, China, US, South Africa etc. Only Nigeria is not producing such nets grin

How much? This depends on the quality. While most people consider only durability, there is another factor to consider. Durability can be easily measured with the weight per square meter. The heavier the material, the better it is. The other factor is the frequency of the light allowed inside the net. While most nets allow all kinds of light inside, there are special nets which disorientate pests inside the structure. They block the light spectrum which those pests can see so that it will always be night to them and they will be disorientated though they gain entrance inside. This is the kind of net an organic farmer should go for as he may not need to spray even rabbit urine inside, maybe just once in two months or monthly. You must be careful.to know the chemical used for this purpose; else, you may be calling for more trouble. I am scared of cancer sir. So, i get mine from credible sellers and in most cases I buy the chemicals myself and send them to the factory so I can be sure of what I get. Of course, they are expensive.

Price range - $0.3 - $3 or can get to $5 per square meter. You just must know what to choose. Your net is your main protector. Invest more in it.

Better to use net round your nethouse and avoid using any poly cover so you can have more free air flow. During rainy season, find a way to cover the top with a poly.

Hope this post answers more than you ask for. Lol.
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by joinnow: 7:09am On Nov 01, 2017
fluentinfor:

50 mesh prevents very tiny pests which are the deadliest from entering but they still gain entrance if one is careless but effective; however, it traps heat. 50 mesh is situable for temperate climatic condition. So, it is logical to choose a wider mesh which can allow ventilation and 40 mesh is recommended but you will need to fight the tiny pests seriously.

Where you buy them? Israel, China, US, South Africa etc. Only Nigeria is not producing such nets grin

How much? This depends on the quality. While most people consider only durability, there is another factor to consider. Durability can be easily measured with the weight per square meter. The heavier the material, the better it is. The other factor is the frequency of the light allowed inside the net. While most nets allow all kinds of light inside, there are special nets which disorientate pests inside the structure. They block the light spectrum which those pests can see so that it will always be night to them and they will be disorientated though they gain entrance inside. This is the kind of net an organic farmer should go for as he may not need to spray even rabbit urine inside, maybe just once in two months or monthly. You must be careful.to know the chemical used for this purpose; else, you may be calling for more trouble. I am scared of cancer sir. So, i get mine from credible sellers and in most cases I buy the chemicals myself and send them to the factory so I can be sure of what I get. Of course, they are expensive.

Price range - $0.3 - $3 or can get to $5 per square meter. You just must know what to choose. Your net is your main protector. Invest more in it.

Better to use net round your nethouse and avoid using any poly cover so you can have more free air flow. During rainy season, find a way to cover the top with a poly.

Many thanks
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by alakara(m): 11:53am On Nov 01, 2017
fluentinfor:

pavore9 this is the guy you're looking for, look not far.

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 9:13pm On Nov 01, 2017
alakara:

pavore9 this is the guy you're looking for, look not far.

Unfortunately, I have personal projects which will not make me take even consulting jobs. A modern practising farmer is always busy with projects.

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by kudosamass(m): 4:56pm On Nov 02, 2017
Checkout cheap Agricultural Farmlands in Abuja:
https://abujafarmland..com.ng/?m=1
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by premiumwikis56: 9:39pm On Nov 02, 2017
fluentinfor:

please can you just mail me i really need to get some in depth knowledge from you olease.
iyanjim@gmail.com
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 4:21am On Nov 03, 2017
premiumwikis56:

please can you just mail me i really need to get some in depth knowledge from you olease.
iyanjim@gmail.com

Why don't you ask here? I may not be able to attend to mails cos of work load. Moreso, many can benefit from it instead of just only one person. Or what do you think?

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Dokitadotun: 11:07am On Nov 06, 2017
@fluentinfor, I will like you to help me train someone on aquaponics. Can we chat on WhatsApp? o8o375381oo
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Nobody: 12:34pm On Nov 06, 2017
Dokitadotun:
@fluentinfor, I will like you to help me train someone on aquaponics. Can we chat on WhatsApp? o8o375381oo

This is interesting. In as much as I do not like turning people away, I am also careful what I take. Really, this is a period veggie farmers prepare for new season. We are already preparing for 2018 season. Right now, we are amending our beds and starting nursery production for our farms. There are new comers on our farms I have to put through too.

And I need to be honest with you, I do not operate a greenhouse or aquaponics at this very moment. I have a project at hand and it is a major open field break through which I will share here if we are succesful with it.

Ok. I will get in touch with you very soon but I cannot promise you anything. If you have an aquaponic somewhere it might be easy. Another option is you set up one. Well, I might have to ask someone around with a set up if you cannot fulfill the two conditions i have mentioned. The truth is most farmers do just greenhouse and plant in soil and some others do hydroponics. So far, only three farmers practise aquaponics that I know of and they worked with me. But in any case, I cannot reveal them as their consent is needed here.

I hope you understand you are going to need energy to make this sucessful. You certainly must get your marketing right. Otherwise, I suggest you start with just nethouse and move gradually into hydroponics and later aquaponics.

I will talk to you soon.
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Dokitadotun: 1:10pm On Nov 06, 2017
fluentinfor:

This is interesting. In as much as I do not like turning people away, I am also careful what I take. Really, this is a period veggie farmers prepare for new season. We are already preparing for 2018 season. Right now, we are amending our beds and starting nursery production for our farms. There are new comers on our farms I have to put through too.

And I need to be honest with you, I do not operate a greenhouse or aquaponics at this very moment. I have a project at hand and it is a major open field break through which I will share here if we are succesful with it.

Ok. I will get in touch with you very soon but I cannot promise you anything. If you have an aquaponic somewhere it might be easy. Another option is you set up one. Well, I might have to ask someone around with a set up if you cannot fulfill the two conditions i have mentioned. The truth is most farmers do just greenhouse and plant in soil and some others do hydroponics. So far, only three farmers practise aquaponics that I know of and they worked with me. But in any case, I cannot reveal them as their consent is needed here.

I hope you understand you are going to need energy to make this sucessful. You certainly must get your marketing right. Otherwise, I suggest you start with just nethouse and move gradually into hydroponics and later aquaponics.

I will talk to you soon.

Thank you very much, hear from you soon

1 Like

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by domack99(m): 3:21pm On Nov 06, 2017
fluentinfor:

I will talk to you soon.

Figure cross hoping to see result very soon
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by tunmch: 6:08pm On Nov 20, 2018
Greetings to all my fellow rabbits farmers I present to you IDENTITY RABBITS FEEDS as a small company, this small humble company is specialized in production of rabbits feeds,kick starting first sales in ilorin, kwara state. This feeds specially made for weaners, growers and the pregnant does..this feeds is certified and tested by different commercialize rabbits farmers in Nigeria. as I was told,this formula(attached bellow test trails) is brought from Associate of rabbits breeders in Germany. which I see the significant impacts in my weaners, growers and pregnant does (given birth to 8,9,10, kits at a go) ...the era of bloats of young and adult death of weaners is over. For now they produce5kg 10kg and 25kg for easy access to growing weaners to overgrown their delicate period.it can be supplied within ilorin for now.
contact me on how to get to you on.
whatsapp 08124446541
cal 08124446541 and 08160817795 Thanks.we will reap from the fruits of our labour, amen.
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Swiftgrp: 3:55am On Jan 14
Pavore9:
Do you have practical knowledge of managing a large set up of an aquaponic farm within a
greenhouse structure where exotic crops have been successfully grown and harvested. In the coming months I will be recruiting for a client who is setting up somewhere in the South west though the client's preference is getting a professional from Kenya as some big farms I know in Nigeria do.

I am throwing this open to ascertain if there is local skill for the position. If you fit in, send me a PM.
Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Swiftgrp: 3:59am On Jan 14
Pavore9:

Re: In-depth Practical Knowledge Of Aquaponics. by Swiftgrp: 4:01am On Jan 14
OP. @fluentinfor

Best of luck!

(1) (Reply)

Mahindra Tractors For Sale / . / Become A Wholesales Dealer In Kaduna Orange Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.