Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,280 members, 7,818,948 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:48 AM

Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 (24625 Views)

Okafor Kelechi, Footballer Dies Few Hours To Leave Nigeria For Europe / Stephen Tataw Is Dead! Former Cameroonian Footballer Dies / Yakubu Ayegbeni Buys Range Rover For His Wife, Yvonne Ayegbeni (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by unite4real: 1:14pm On Nov 01, 2017
Ghanaian football has been rocked by the death of former international Yakubu Abubakar at the age of 36.

The former Black Star, a defensive midfielder, died in a hospital in the southern Ghanaian city Tema on Tuesday.

"We're sad to hear the death of former Ghana, Ajax and Vitesse midfielder Abubakar," tweeted Ghana's FA. "Our thoughts are with his family. May his soul RIP."

No reason has been given for the death of Abubakar, who won 16 caps for Ghana.

Abubakar started every game as the Black Stars exited in the group stage of the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations and played in the qualifiers as Ghana reached their first World Cup - also in 2006.

However, he was overlooked for the final squad for the tournament in Germany.

At club level, Abubakar - who could also play in defence - left Ghana at the age of 17 to join former European champions Ajax Amsterdam.

He won two league championships, in 2002 and 2004, as well as the 2002 Dutch Cup.

In the 2002-03 season, he played five times in the European Champions League as Ajax reached the quarter-finals before bowing out against eventual winners Milan.

After 89 appearances for Ajax, Abubakar joined another Dutch side, Vitesse Arnhem, in 2004, staying with the club for five years.

Abubakar played for Ghana at every level, having represented his nation at Under-17, Under-20 and Under-23 level as well.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41832385

Abubakar takes instructions from former Ghana coach Ratomir Dujkovic at the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by braxjay(m): 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP

count three post down after mine and the person will be a mumu....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by oluwasegun007(m): 1:47pm On Nov 01, 2017
he should av been flown abroad....

west African medical system is worst than traditional medicine.... RIP

7 Likes

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Yameater(m): 1:48pm On Nov 01, 2017
Rip
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Leetunechi: 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Actually I did not read the post but pdp is my party but I love APC. Governor ambode is the best president Nigeria has ever had. I wish Jacob Zuma can win the next presidential election so that okoriacha will be the vice minister

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by dan9ice(m): 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
He's free na.. We are coming..

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
so sad
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by 9jvirgin(m): 1:49pm On Nov 01, 2017
Sad. RIP. Most of these guys are 50 years plus but they behave and act 36 because of the money and career and this take a toll on them. May God grant him rest.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by myrrtle(m): 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2017
rip
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by smartoliver(m): 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2017
R. I. P
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by IVORY2009(m): 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 01, 2017

Leetunechi:
Actually I did not read the post but pdp is my party but I love APC. Governor ambode is the best president Nigeria has ever had. I wish Jacob Zuma can win the next presidential election so that okoriacha will be the vice minister
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by enemyofprogress: 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2017
Chai people just dey die anyhow in dis buhari government
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by MrcuteOscar: 1:52pm On Nov 01, 2017
dan9ice:
He's free na.. We are coming..

You got a point.
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2017
Leetunechi:
i shake head for seun, nairaland has been hijacked.

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by eddieguru(m): 1:54pm On Nov 01, 2017
chinedubrazil:
K
it won't do u any good
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 1:56pm On Nov 01, 2017
eddieguru:
it won't do u any good
huh? is it ur business?
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by wizod(m): 1:58pm On Nov 01, 2017
Leetunechi:
do u hv sense at all?

5 Likes

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by osbertosa77(m): 1:59pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Sandrapreti(f): 1:59pm On Nov 01, 2017
hmmm
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Ushiefrank(m): 2:01pm On Nov 01, 2017
R.i.p. God help us oh
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nobody: 2:03pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP soldier....

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Lordseyad(m): 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2017
Leetunechi:
And how many likes have you gathered?

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by donbenie(m): 2:06pm On Nov 01, 2017
Leetunechi:
When another MAN'S Corpse is being carried by it seems it's a log of wood that's being carried..for everything there's a season,if you don't have anything meaningful to add..best you keep quite and stop exposing your INANITY..
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by tosyne2much(m): 2:08pm On Nov 01, 2017
RIP bro
Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Nwaoma198(f): 2:10pm On Nov 01, 2017
And I don promise myself say i no abuse or insult anybody today being my birthday but Bros I go like advise u to visit Mama tega make she arrange ur brain for u :- lipsrsealed.Happy birthday to me.
Leetunechi:

2 Likes

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by Pavore9: 2:13pm On Nov 01, 2017
oluwasegun007:
he should av been flown abroad....

west African medical system is worst than traditional medicine.... RIP

Who knows if he was brought back from Europe to seek alternative medicine for what ailed him.

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Abubakar, Ex-Ghana Footballer Dies At The Age Of 36 by bollyma(m): 2:16pm On Nov 01, 2017
R.I.p

(1) (2) (Reply)

Italy Fail To Qualify For World Cup In Qatar / Libya Vs Nigeria: Super Eagles Arrive Taïeb M’hiri Stadium, Sfax, Tunisia (Pic) / Six Boxing Greats Who Regained The Heavyweight Title

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.