Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,548 members, 7,823,399 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:44 AM

INSOMNIA - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / INSOMNIA (13811 Views)

Insomnia / Hot Story: Insomnia / Insomnia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 4:01pm On Nov 15, 2017
Chapter twelve

I'd always found it difficult to fall asleep at night. Tonight was worse. I lay on my back, literally staring at the ceiling. The fan whirled fast and gave off a quiet humming sound. The lights were on; not night lights, I mean, the room was fully illuminated. I couldn't sleep in the dark, not these days.
My mind was full of images and voices; I was thinking but I really couldn't grab a main thought. My bedside clock clicked as it reached the hour. I moved my head to the side to check and it was midnight.
Midnight, that meant it was Monday already. I felt my heart hammer. What was I scared of? I sat up and tried to think. What exactly was I scared of?
It was Monday, so that meant– of course, work. And work meant seeing Cassidy. I got up from the bed and began to pace the room. I stopped in front of the mirror and looked myself over.
"What is wrong with you?" I said out loud, covering my face with my palm. It was like I repulsed myself. I suddenly started remembering the numerous ways I'd 'fooled' myself around Cassidy.
"How could you not have seen it? It was written right there, you pull the door to yourself, but no, you went ahead and pushed." I cringed again.
I was talking aloud to myself.
"And you tried to hide from her when she had already seen you. How embarrassing, and stupid. William, you're stupid. I'll have to apologize for that later today."
"Wait, does that mean you intend to talk to her at work?" I asked my reflection.
"I have to talk to her. We're partners, remember? I can't avoid her if I tried."
"You certainly haven't tried. Can't you see what's happening?"
I stared straight into my reflection, "We are forgetting her already."
I stopped talking and stared for a long time, then I looked away. Was I going crazy?
I shook my head. I suddenly needed a drink.
The hallway was dark. I stood at the entrance and quickly snapped on the lights. I made a mental note never to turn it off again.
The floor echoed softly as I marched past it. I glanced at our old room, just a quick glance and immediately walked past it. How long would I live this way? To me, I was disappointing Angela and she was right in there. In that room.
"Getting a drink at twelve in the morning, what would she think?"
"Shut up!" I bawled, listening to my voice echo the word. It sounded like a multiple version of me were telling me to shut up, and I did.
I walked silently into the living room. Thank God all the light switches were located at the door posts. I snapped on the light, half expecting to see Angela sitting on her favorite sofa. I nearly jumped when the light fell on something big, spread across the sofa. It was just that stupid hockey shirt, I sighed with relief.
I went over to the sofa and picked up the shirt, rumpling it up and tossing it aside.
The fridge lit up as I opened it. No drinks, just a few water bottles, a plastic plate of vegetable salad and some meat mother had saddled me with. I closed the fridge and gulped. There had to be a drink somewhere in this house.
I tried to think.
"Here, brother, in case you want to indulge at night." I heard Felix's sly voice.
I snapped my fingers, of course, Felix. But where had he kept it that day? I tried to recall our conversation.
"Here, brother, just in case you want to indulge at night."
"No, thanks. I don't need it." I'd replied without looking at him.
He'd been quiet for a while then, "Trust me, you'll need it. One of these days you'll find it hard to sleep or clear your head and that day you'll need it."
How right he was after all.
"Whatever, do what you please."
What had I been doing that day? Oh, yes, I'd been flipping through the burial album.
Mother had dropped by one day with this professionally made photo album. I'd been shocked, I certainly hadn't hired any photographer. Then again, I hadn't planned or hired anything.
Apparently, while I'd been looking all somber and adjusting my dark shades, some photographer had been busy snapping away. The album contained about twenty shots of me alone, all somber and from different angles. Even my front. Had I really been that oblivious?
The album had also contained a lot of random photos. An impressive amount. Random photos of mourners, lots and lots of mourners.Where'd they come from? I got angry that day, watching those blank faces and I ended up burning the album; no small feat. The album had obviously been of high quality.
"There, I kept it anyway. I know you'll need it." Felix had said, "But brother, that drawer was nice." He'd added.
I snapped my fingers, he had mentioned a drawer. He'd probably kept it in a drawer. Not just any drawer, a nice drawer.
I stood in the living room and thought, all drawers in the house were nice. Angela had bought them herself.
Alright, there was a cabinet in the kitchen with a couple of drawers, I also had one in the guest room where I slept, there was also that one for wine glass in the living room. That was about it.
I set off to the wine glass drawer. The drawer was dark with caramel colored dots sprayed around the body which gave it a certain cosmic look.
I'd preferred the plain brown one, the one I'd used in school, but Angela had personally supervised it's burning.
"Holding on to past things can be detrimental." She had said, and I smiled at the thought.
I stood straight and paused, something about those words: holding on the past things can be detrimental. I thought about it and then shrugged, I couldn't place what had hit me just now about the words.
I opened the top drawer and observed the wine glasses(they hadn't been used in ages). The lower drawer was darker and I stretched my hand in and rummaged through it. My eyes opened wide when my fingers closed on a bottle.
"So that's where–" I stopped and frowned, "it's empty. Felix!" I growled.
"Brother, this is heavenly wine." I recalled him saying.
I looked at the empty bottle and shoved it back into the drawer. Okay, so that one was out.
There was still the kitchen and the one in the room. Surely, he should have kept it in one of those.
I glanced at the clock as I walked towards the kitchen: 12:20. After all this time? I thought it was probably one already.
A thought crossed my mind. I was about to change paths when I stopped. No, that'll be stupid. I had thought of calling Felix just now and asking him about the drink. That certainly would have raised the level of worry. Who calls to ask about alcohol around midnight? I would have probably been the first.
The kitchen cabinets were nice, so they fit Felix's description. The only issue was that they only contained ceramics and condiments and pots, and a rat? I'd do something about that in the morning.
I paused outside the kitchen door. That left only the guest room now. What if I couldn't find the drink? I felt more awake now than I did a few minutes ago.
Walking into the hallway and past our old room, I heard my voice again. Disappointment.
"Leave me alone!" I shouted and increased my pace, feeling the urgent need to indulge(using Felix's lingo).
Pushing open the room door, I ran inside and rushed for the cabinet. I had no time to admire it, my thoughts seemed to jeer at me.
"Pathetic."
"Weak."
"Pathetic and weak!"
I groaned and tossed one of the drawers aside; it was empty.
My breathing was heavy as I stood in front of the mirror, looking at myself. It was back to square one.
I covered my face with both palms and tried to calm myself. I gasped and suddenly looked up, there was still one drawer I hadn't checked.
"But brother, that drawer was nice." Felix had said, and then he'd added, "Colorful pink sheets on the bed, too."
I gulped. There was only one place that had colorful pink sheets.
The key jangled slightly in my hand as I stared at the door. The voices in my head had all gone silent; they were also nervous.
I left the door open this time as I walked in. The lights were still on, I thought I'd turned them off. Don't think, man, don't think, I kept saying to myself.
I glanced around the room and then I saw it; a dark blue drawer. It really was nice.
The drink was at the bottom of the drawer. It was wrapped with a small paper. I picked it up and sat on the bed.
Felix had scrawled some words on the paper:
"For your indulgence. Wink."
I squinted at his signature-like hand writing. Was that 'wink' or 'wonk', or maybe 'wine'? I shrugged and smiled.
I rinsed a glass cup in the bathroom sink and propped down on the bed. The pink sheets looked extra lovely.
I removed the cork from the bottle and poured the dark red liquid into the glass. What was the perfect quantity? I stopped when the glass was half full.
The bottle said it's alcoholic content was 6%, not bad. I raised the glass to my lips, noting the intoxicating odour, what was that flavour?
The wine tasted aweful, trust Felix to pick an aweful drink. My cheeks fought back the liquid, slapping at the sour taste and my throat burned. I coughed slightly.
It tasted aweful but it gave off the desired effect. I felt a warm sensation flood through my body and my joints seemed to loosen.
I gulped the remaining contents and poured myself some more. Felix would be proud.
A draft of air grazed my cheeks and I looked towards the windows, it was still shut.
The drink was taking effect. I think, because I saw her there.
"Hi." I said, not feeling any shock. I watvhed her intently, I knew she was there but I had no idea what she was wearing. I certainly could not see any white robe or blinding white lights as the movies showed.
I kept staring at her. She had that disapproving look she wore whenever I did something stupid or typical.
"I didn't do anything, I promise." I said, trying to believe myself. I was still holding the drink, I just don't know how because I felt nothing.
"I just....I didn't –" I yawned wildly, and began to watch her flicker softly as my eyes battled to stay open.
"I didn't mean to...." My voice trailed off as I fell on the bed, snoring lightly. I think.

4 Likes

Re: INSOMNIA by ftosino(m): 10:50am On Nov 16, 2017
what a lovely way of writing, thanks chukwrites for this.

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by adontcare(f): 7:57am On Nov 18, 2017
This story is so so real as if I am in it. Well-done

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by lonesome501(m): 6:27pm On Nov 18, 2017
u ar nt updating regularly again oo,,chuks!!! dnt loose ur fans trust bcuz of inconsistency!! insomnia all the way!!
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 6:21pm On Nov 19, 2017
lonesome501:
u ar nt updating regularly again oo,,chuks!!! dnt loose ur fans trust bcuz of inconsistency!! insomnia all the way!!

Yeah, I'm well aware of that theory.
I update a chapter as soon as I write it. I didn't write last week, hence I didn't update.
Let's just say I wasn't feeling inspired.
Y'all just have to bear with me, thanks for reading and loving Insomnia.

At least 2 chapters will be updated this week.

Also, and most importantly, I'm writing a novel and that's half my time. Insomnia is a third of the remaining half, and then there's real life.

So, again, please bear with me.
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 6:23pm On Nov 19, 2017
adontcare:
This story is so so real as if I am in it. Well-done

Thanks, adontcare(interesting name) smiley
Re: INSOMNIA by adontcare(f): 6:27pm On Nov 19, 2017
Chukswrites:

Thanks, adontcare(interesting name) smiley

hmmm. Adontcare means a lot of things
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 6:30pm On Nov 19, 2017
THIS IS ME TALKING

Hey everyone!

Okay, so last week was dry. Yeah, I usually write #Insomnia twice a week(two chapters) and then focus on #Fog(my novel).
Consequently, I update those two chapters in a quickie bout, just for you guys.
Like I said earlier, last week was dry.
I don't push myself to write. My fuel is mood and inspiration. Last week was full of mood killers (NEPA, money, life) in that order!

I love #Insomnia, and Lissa does(the girl I write it for), and you guys also. That's enough to kill those mood killers, so I'm saying now, I promise to deliver[promptly] two chapters of Insomnia everyweek, till the journey ends.

Hearty thanks.
P.S, I could be a alien, who knows. wink

Your friendly [virtual] neighborhood writer, Chuks.
smiley

3 Likes

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 6:35pm On Nov 19, 2017
adontcare:
hmmm. Adontcare means a lot of things

Well, that's cool.
No one needs to care about nothing, unless it's worth it. And there's only supposed to be a few things that are worth it in one's life.
A certain girl, a certain guy, your passion, God. That's all.
So, interesting name.
Re: INSOMNIA by adontcare(f): 7:24pm On Nov 19, 2017
Chukswrites:

Well, that's cool.
No one needs to care about nothing, unless it's worth it. And there's only supposed to be a few things that are worth it in one's life.
A certain girl, a certain guy, your passion, God. That's all.
So, interesting name.
yeah right

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 20, 2017
Ujubaybee
Prestigiouslady
Chommieblaq

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by ftosino(m): 8:09am On Nov 20, 2017
can't wait for the updates. Mr Chuks, thanks.

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 20, 2017
ftosino:
can't wait for the updates. Mr Chuks, thanks.
You're very welcome.
Expect one very soon.
Re: INSOMNIA by ikombe: 6:38pm On Nov 20, 2017
Twice a week cry
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 21, 2017
ikombe:
Twice a week cry
Or more, it all depends.
Expect a chapter tomorrow.
Which makes Tuesdays as one of the days for updates.

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 21, 2017
CHARTER THIRTEEN

I saw Felix the moment I stepped into the office. I saw him because he literally ran up to me.
"You're early, it's eight a.m. Boss wants to see you."
"Good morning to you too." I answered him, trying to get everything in focus. My head hurt.
"Are you okay, you don't look too good?"
I touched my head, "I'm fine, just a little headache."
He kept watching me as I dopped myself on the leather chair behind my desk. It felt hot in here.
"Is the A.C on?" I asked, to no one in particular, loosening my neck tie and flapping my hand against my face.
"Uh, yes." Felix answered, still watching me.
"Do you feel this heat wave, I mean, it's so hot in here."
Felix looked surprised, "What heat?" He asked, "it's August, we've been praying for the rains to stop, and hoping for some heat."
His eyes opened wide as if he just had a sudden realisation.
"What?" I asked when I saw the look.
He leaned in closer, "did you indulge last night?
I wanted to deny it but what would be the point of that?
"Is it that obvious?"
"No, man." He made the 'no' sound like 'nuh'.
"You look like shit and all with your swollen red eyes and drooping eyelids, but let's face it, Boss man in there can't detect a guy indulging even if he was standing with a bottle clutched beneath his arms."
I smiled and got up to my feet, I'd wash my face eitherways. Felix had the tendency to exaggerate sometimes.
The water over my face did the magic and I felt more alert.
"So you said the big man wants to see me?"
Felix smiled at this, usually he was the only one who made fun of Mr.James(from a safe distance, of course).
"Of course. He said you drop by when you got in and that was ten minutes ago. He wasn't even aware of your lateness."
I nodded and began walking towards his office, I paused and turned to Felix.
"What of Cassidy?"
He smiled mischievously and arched his chin forward, "In there also."
I gulped.
I could hear James' throaty laughter as I got closer to his office, no doubt from a terrible joke that only he understood. I knocked and opened the door.
Our eyes met the moment I walked in. I looked away immediately but not before taking her in.
Cassidy had this 'thank God you're here' look on her face. She was wearing a typical work day attire; a pink silk v-neck blouse over a black slightly-below-the knees skirt. It didn't look so typical on her though, I mean she looked gorgeous. I shook my head and looked at James, the big man, leaning back against his shirt and watching me with that 'you had to come in now and ruin the mood' look. I ignored it.
"Good morning." I said towards James and nodded at Cassidy. Her smile was charming. What was wrong with me?
"You're late." He said, not looking stern at all, "but that's excusable for now."
I nodded, but kept quiet. With James, you let him do the talking. He was boss in his own little world, and the company also.
A few years back, he'd walked into the office especially irritable that morning. Everyone knew to leave him be on days like that, everyone except the new, not-so oriented guys.
All you just needed to do was ignore him, and hope your department didn't get under fire that morning. Luckily(for everyone else) it was the accounting department that fell into his radar. A new guy, Maxwell, had apparently misjudged some books and a sharp loss had been recorded in a sector, or something. I didn't really get the full gist.
Anyways, the accounting department went through tremors that morning. The dreaded meeting was called. You don't want to be in a confined space with a bloating, red hot James. According to word flying about, and also the thin walls of his office, we all knew he had bawled and bawled that morning.
"And you, Maxwell or whatever you call yourself..."
"It's Maxwell, and I don't see what the big deal is. It's just a stupid error." The new guy interrupted sharply, (and stupidly). Apparently the new guy was also a 'sharp guy'. Around James you learn that sharp is stupid.
And that had been it. Maxwell was fired at that instant, currently holding the record for shortest term in the organisation; five working days.
A guy named Joshua had fairly accurately painted the picture of that moment.
He'd said, "The boss suddenly stopped talking and his eyes turned black, I swear, I know you won't believe it but his eyes turned black. His vein, the one on his neck, looked like fat straws and his forehead became darker. I swear the guy wanted to commit murder."
I smiled to myself as I remembered all this.
"And what is funny, Mr.William?" James' voice filtered into my ears.
I immediately sat upright, "Nothing, Sir."
He leaned back again, "I had the impression that you thought it funny the idea that Cassidy here would be sharing a desk with you."
"What?" I blurted out before I could stop myself. I turned to her, she seemed puzzled and hurt?
"I'm sorry," I said and turned to James, "what?" I said subtly and more sensibly now.
"You heard me. Last week was impressive for both of you, you seem to work well together." He kept eyeing me, and then he turned to her, "what do you think?"
She was different now, the look on her face was colder, more business-like.
"I don't mind having my own desk if it's inconvenient for him."
I shivered, the 'him' had a certain coldness to it.
"Nonsense," he bawled and stared hotly at me, "do you have a problem, William?"
He might as well have said 'you don't have a problem, I command you.'
I just shook my head, "No, sir."
"Then it's settled, Jerry is already fixing the computers, you'll both share a printer and well, everything else."
Already? Then what was the point of asking me?
"Yes, Sir."
He turned to the wall clock, "That would be all."
We both got up and left the office. She didn't look at me, I didn't want it but somehow it made me uneasy. She walked briskly to our desk and immediately looked busy.
"Your system is booting up, should take a minute." I heard Jerry telling her.
Felix was behind his desk, at the far end of the building, he kept watching me. He gestured towards Cassidy and raised his hands like 'what's wrong with her?', I shook my head and mouthed an 'I don't know.'
This was exactly what I dreaded; being the one to approach her. The light from her PC lit up her face as she seemed engrossed in whatever she was doing. I was still contemplating my first move.
I'd walked around the desk and sat on my chair without saying a word. It's been twenty minutes now and she hadn't even glanced mistakenly at me. I had to do something.
Conscious of the sweat forming under my arms, and my glistening forehead, I tried my opener.
"Is it just me, or is it hot it here?"
Weak, I know. She said nothing.
I chuckled lightly and said, "The sun must be angry today, I mean..I mean..." I paused and fell silent when she turned to me.
She was staring at me with a deep expression that I couldn't really decipher.
"You want to say something?" She asked.
I peeled at the edge of my desk and then looked at her.
"I didn't mean.." I jerked my thumb towards the path of James' office.
She arched her eyebrows and dropped her pen, facing me fully now. I gulped at this move, constantly willing my brain to feed me with words.
"I'm sorry." I said.
"For what?"
Oh, so she wanted to play it that way, well I deserved it anyways.
"I didn't mean to sound so unprofessional back there."
She seemed surprised, "Unprofessional, really?"
"Uh, yes." I answered.
"Tell me, William, do you have friends?"
I heard her and then turned to look at Felix, he was busy standing over a secretary (did he ever work?).
"I–yes, just Felix."
Her face relaxed and I could see a glimpse of the old her, the soft one. "Are we not friends?"
Were we? I knew it, just one movie and we've automatically assumed friend status.
"I don't know, are we?" I looked away.
"Fair enough." She said and looked away also.
I quickly glanced back at her, "You don't understand."
"Oh, yeah?".
"Of course, no one really does. And sometimes even Felix doesn't get it."
She had softened now, "Then make me understand. I like you, William, I think you're an okay guy, and I don't usually like people."
So she was one of put-it-right-out-there people. I didn't know what to think.
She probably saw my look as she immediately said, "Oh no, I don't mean that kind of like, I mean as a human being you're okay."
I sighed and smiled, "Thank you."
She also smiled and turned towards James' office, "I mean, him, he disgusts me. Most men do."
I actually laughed, "He disgusts me sometimes also." I said and quickly added, "but, in a different way, I guess."
We both laughed, that nice laugh that is almost always followed by an awkard silence.
"So.." She said.
I didn't reply, I really could be dumb sometimes as I just watched her like I'd missed something.
"Let's talk at lunch," she said, "lots of work to do."
"Oh, yes, of course." I answered, not knowing if it was for the lunch or the work.
At midday, I was standing with Felix by the water dipenser.
"She says we'll talk at lunch." I said.
He smiled and gave me a light jab, "Sleek guy, talk about what?"
I shrugged, rubbing my arm, "I don't know. I don't want to find out."
He frowned, "What do you mean?"
"I'm not spending lunch time with Cassidy." I spelled it out.
His frown deepened, "Why?"
I looked away, "I don't know. The idea doesn't appeal to me."
He suddenly smiled softly, "Or maybe you're just scared that you'll like her." He puckered his lips as he said the 'like'. I chuckled and gave him a jab, he let out an 'ouch' and his water spilled.
"Sorry."
"You punched me." He said, feigning annoyance.
"No, that was a light jab. You do it all the time."
"Yes, but not with arm-breakage in mind," he looked at his fun, "it's lunch time, what are you doing here with me?"
"I'm not going."
"Please, brother, just go."
I Sighed, "Okay, see you later."
"Don't forget to give me all the gist." He shouted as I walked away, maybe he was a bit too loud because I saw people turning to stare at me.
As I walked towards the lunch room, I wondered why it hadn't taken Felix so much to persuade me, or maybe he didn't persuade me, maybe I'd already made up my mind to lunch with her. Oh, boy.
The lunch room was a floor above. It was a long room with booth-style fashion chairs that faced eachother around a square table, the kind you see in those fancy coffee shops in Lagos or Enugu, or America and such.
I still thought this lunch room was shooting way past the mark; most people ate lunch outside the office and the few that came in here only dropped by to have 'not so clean' discussions, or to steal a half hour of sleep.
I came here to lunch, hopefully, I thought.
I saw Cassidy scrolling through her phone, she seemed unaware of my presence. Why did the seats have to face eachother?
"Hey," she smiled and looked up at me as I sat.
"Hey." I smiled back, tapping my fingers on the desk.
She switched off her phone and faced me, "what will you eat?"
I rarely ate lunch. Usually I just caught up with more work and hoped the day ended.
"Something light, I–I have no idea, really." I laughed lightly.
She smiled and said, "Then you'll have what I have."
"Okay." I answered.
She was having rice and vegetable stew. I suddenly remembered mother, looks like something she'd give me.
"So, Mr. William, " she began, "I want us to be friends."
Did I really want that? At the moment, maybe.
I nodded and let her speak.
"If we have to be friends then we have to know about one another."
"That seems right." I found my voice.
She smiled and then her expression softened, "Tell me about her."
I dropped my spoon and gulped the food in my throat, "Who?"
"Your wife."

Next Chapter update comes on Thursday. Hang in there
smiley

4 Likes

Re: INSOMNIA by lonesome501(m): 3:31pm On Nov 21, 2017
nice write up..so far,u av nt disappointed!!cnt wait 4 thursdae 2 be here!!bt mr chuckz i wantz to reason it out to u dat maybe u should venture/dedicate mre tym to INSOMNIA coz u av'nt been updatin regularly on the novel FOG whch u said its taking much of ur precious!!! MINE OPINION THOUGH
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2017
lonesome501:
nice write up..so far,u av nt disappointed!!cnt wait 4 thursdae 2 be here!!bt mr chuckz i wantz to reason it out to u dat maybe u should venture/dedicate mre tym to INSOMNIA coz u av'nt been updatin regularly on the novel FOG whch u said its taking much of ur precious!!! MINE OPINION THOUGH

Yeah, I hear ya. Here's what I do, I write both stories on alternate days; Fog on Mondays, insomnia on Tuesdays, and so on.

I don't update FOG because it's still in development and it's gonna be for sale when I'm done, you get?

I'll try and make sure insomnia sees more light.

Thanks for reading.
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 23, 2017
Chapter fourteen

"Tell me about her." She said, and I did. This was not something I enjoyed talking about, but it was a welcomed change for me.
I'd met Angela in school, on the same day I met Felix. So, he basically knew her before me. But in truth, I only met her that day. I got to know her some five to six months later.
As with most romantic stories or what not, it happened in a pretty ordinary setting. In our case, the library. I wouldn't say we fell in love at the library, that would be (a) cheesy for the reason that (b) I had no previous experiences of falling in love or did I have any firm knowledge of love in a general sense. No, what I mean is, the major focal point or, maybe, spark for what happened between us was the Federal University llibrary.
I remember that heart-stopping moment I experienced when I'd felt met her during that protest. I had thought to myself that this girl was beautiful, and I rarely noticed girls. I had also made up my mind to get to know her better, and she seemed to be friends with the other guy, Felix, so I would befriend him also. Well, none of that happened. At least, not for five to six months.
It had been a dry day in December and the new semester had just kicked off lazily. I was now a second year student of marketing and well, that was about it.
I wasn't in the student's Union again(God, no, not after that stupid protest), I wasn't part of any school fellowship, frankly, I'd realised that religion was not my 'thing'(subtly, though, because mother called that 'heathen talk'). I wasn't part of any trio of friends or duo, or any friends group whatsoever. By God, I had no girlfriend, but I was content. I was living life the only way I knew how to; cautiously.
It's funny how certain things tend to click in your head and remind you of a certain event. On this dry December afternoon, I was carrying a bunch of papers and heading for the library; a lecturer had saddled us with some boring research. I may be a loner, but I wasn't a book-worm. I just wanted to get to the library and get it all over with. I had more important things to do, like sticking to my daily routine and according to that my nap should be due in a couple of hours. But when fate said it didn't play by routines, you better listen.
The university library was old, literally. The dark brown paint was now somewhere around the neighborhood of pale yellow, the buildings were still 1960s style, with those seemingly useless 'exes' made into the walls. The buildings, though, were something of a work of art. That was one thing I admired about it; the two buildings were a gentle parallelogram that slanted towards the edge and then shot up with a triangle a few feet into the air. I always paused to admire the buildings, while ignoring the drab coloring, of course.
Anyways, on this particular day, just as I was about walking in through the front door with a couple of other 'zombie-like students', I felt an itch. It was the harmattan season and I was very sensitive to the cold and dry winds, so I always wore socks. I would have also worn gloves except for the fact that it made gripping things unnecessarily difficult and sensitive.
The socks I wore on this particular day was a dark, wooly one that had to be pulled high if not it looked awkwardly fat around the base. And it was incredibly itchy.
So, when I felt this itch, I immediately bent to rid my legs of those socks. I was prepared to face the cold dryness than endure that 'once in a when-it-feels-like' itch.
"Oof!" I heard someone bump into me as I bent down.
Damn it, I thought and abandoned the socks for a second to tender a quick, obligatory 'sorry'.
"Oh, I'm so..." I paused as I stood up and stared at the girl standing before me. It's important(maybe not so important) to note that I paused in my speech because (a) the sun was reflecting into my eyes from behind this figure, so I really had no idea what I was looking at and also, (b) when the figure did eventually block the suns rays, I was stunned.
I was staring at a pretty, shy looking girl(I should know) in a nice flower dress. I remember lingering my gaze on those intricate flower designs, getting distracted for a second or two and wondering how people created such complex patterns.
"William, wow, this is a pleasant surprise." She spoke with a charming, innocent smile.
I chuckled awkwardly, a defense mechanism, and looked at her. Shy looking, yes, but vibrant, intelligent eyes and a certain sterness to it. Small button nose with an almost absent bridge, with eyes set far apart. All set in a fine, round face. She had a certain subtle beauty that one could absorb and enjoy like a painting.
"Angela." I said, glad I recalled her name. I had this stupid, guilty smile on my face. Guilty simply because I hadn't made any efforts to stay in touch with her or that other guy after that protest, neither of whom I'd seen in a long time.
I can't really recall what we talked about, maybe something about holidays. Anyways, we ended up in the same table at the library. In a funny twist, she was also a student of marketing, but a year ahead of me. A good thing in a lot of ways. None of which was the research I had initially planned to do.
Cassidy laughed, "You're a good storyteller."
I smiled at this and stared at my plate, "Well, thanks. I don't always talk about her, but it feels good remembering. "
She touched my arm fondly and I stared at it, she quickly removed it and looked away.
"We've still got another half hour, " she said and smiled, "I'd like to hear more."
"Alright." I said, actually looking forward to telling it.
It was a nice change, having a friend. For some reason, after the library experience, I began to see Angela more often. I almost always bumped into her at the marketing department, something that had never happened before. I also began to see more of Felix. A hearty guy, I came to learn, and he was also in the same department and level as Angela. The bizzare, and almost amusing thing about Felix was the fact that he was always in a lady's company; a charmer, he was.
Being friends with Angela, I got pushed into a world of books; novels, textbooks, and more novels. I didn't read them, of course, but I got used to seeing piles of books, and watching her engrossed in them. It was serene.
We got to be good friends quite naturally, we just clicked. I made it a habit of branching by her class at two p.m to check up on her and wait for her lectures to end. Lectures usually ended at two p.m, except on Fridays when it stretched unnecessarily for some reason, so I almost always didn't have to wait too long before I saw her.
From lectures we'd go to one of the numerous make-shift restaurants that scattered across campus. That was where we had lunch. Sometimes Felix would tag along, but only on very rare occasions. I still got to like him, though. From the restaurant we usually walked around the school field and branched to our various hostels, to meet in exactly one hour at the library. Now I think of it, I have no idea how that particular routine got formed. It just happened. So, from the library the day usually just took on a random twist.
One evening, while jogging (a new habit) across the school field with Felix beside me– actually, he'd told me that the reason why he exercised with me was not because he enjoyed it, not in that sense, but because he loved to watch 'those sweaty beauties' as they ran around the field– we got talking.
I'd just finished a lap so I was resting, and waiting for him to catch up.
"You should try focusing on the exercise, you'll find it delightful." I told him.
"Why would I want to do that when I've got all those delights running around."
I chuckled, he was a weird character indeed.
"Speaking of delights, ' he began and I looked at him, " you and Angela, huh?" He snickered.
I didn't understand, so I kept staring at him, "what ?"
He sat beside me on the grass, "What do you mean 'what'?"
"I mean..." I wanted to speak, but he interrupted me by raising his hand.
"You couldn't possibly not know what I'm saying." He said with mild shock.
I felt slightly embarrassed because in truth I really had no idea what he was talking about. You and Angela, what does that even mean? Luckily, he loved talking so he soon explained it.
"The two of you are a thing now, huh? I mean, I see both of you together and I'm always blown away," He looked at me, "and almost envious, but you know me, why would I want to stick with one girl when..."
"What do you mean 'a thing'?' I interrupted him. He was quiet for a while and the word kept resounding in my ears, 'a thing', and then I realised what he meant.
"What, no, we aren't.." I sighed, "I mean, we're just friends." I said calmly.
He was surprised, no doubt. In fact, I'd silenced him with surprise. After a while, he began to laugh. I didn't see the joke there so I just looked on.
'You're joking, right?" He asked after catching his breath.
I shook my head slowly, "No."
He stopped laughing and looked serious now, "So, you haven't seen the way she looks at you, or even the way you look at her?"
I kept quiet.
"You're funny, man. She's right there in front of you, you better take her. Frankly, I'm not interested but there are a hundred other guys who are."
He got up and trotted hypnotically after one of the girls.
I just sat on the grass, peeling of strands and replaying everything. How do I really look at her? One thing was certain, that thing he'd said about a hundred other guys suddenly made my blood hot.
We were back at our desks now.
"I'm guessing that's not all." Cassidy said.
I smiled, feeling free now, "Of course not, there's more, but let's take it slow."
She smiled and then nodded.
We were silent for a while and then I said, "You'll still have to tell me your story sometime."
Her smiled faded, "I'm not sure there's much of a story to tell."

3 Likes

Re: INSOMNIA by ftosino(m): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2017
*smiles* kudos man.

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by lonesome501(m): 12:33pm On Nov 23, 2017
thankz!!more more more,,plz??

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 23, 2017
lonesome501:
thankz!!more more more,,plz??
Working on it, don't worry.
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 23, 2017
ftosino:
*smiles* kudos man.
Thanks
Re: INSOMNIA by ujubaybee(f): 7:56pm On Nov 23, 2017
Chukswrites:
Chapter fourteen

"Tell me about her." She said, and I did. This was not something I enjoyed talking about, but it was a welcomed change for me.
I'd met Angela in school, on the same day I met Felix. So, he basically knew her before me. But in truth, I only met her that day. I got to know her some five to six months later.
As with most romantic stories or what not, it happened in a pretty ordinary setting. In our case, the library. I wouldn't say we fell in love at the library, that would be (a) cheesy for the reason that (b) I had no previous experiences of falling in love or did I have any firm knowledge of love in a general sense. No, what I mean is, the major focal point or, maybe, spark for what happened between us was the Federal University llibrary.
I remember that heart-stopping moment I experienced when I'd felt met her during that protest. I had thought to myself that this girl was beautiful, and I rarely noticed girls. I had also made up my mind to get to know her better, and she seemed to be friends with the other guy, Felix, so I would befriend him also. Well, none of that happened. At least, not for five to six months.
It had been a dry day in December and the new semester had just kicked off lazily. I was now a second year student of marketing and well, that was about it.
I wasn't in the student's Union again(God, no, not after that stupid protest), I wasn't part of any school fellowship, frankly, I'd realised that religion was not my 'thing'(subtly, though, because mother called that 'heathen talk'). I wasn't part of any trio of friends or duo, or any friends group whatsoever. By God, I had no girlfriend, but I was content. I was living life the only way I knew how to; cautiously.
It's funny how certain things tend to click in your head and remind you of a certain event. On this dry December afternoon, I was carrying a bunch of papers and heading for the library; a lecturer had saddled us with some boring research. I may be a loner, but I wasn't a book-worm. I just wanted to get to the library and get it all over with. I had more important things to do, like sticking to my daily routine and according to that my nap should be due in a couple of hours. But when fate said it didn't play by routines, you better listen.
The university library was old, literally. The dark brown paint was now somewhere around the neighborhood of pale yellow, the buildings were still 1960s style, with those seemingly useless 'exes' made into the walls. The buildings, though, were something of a work of art. That was one thing I admired about it; the two buildings were a gentle parallelogram that slanted towards the edge and then shot up with a triangle a few feet into the air. I always paused to admire the buildings, while ignoring the drab coloring, of course.
Anyways, on this particular day, just as I was about walking in through the front door with a couple of other 'zombie-like students', I felt an itch. It was the harmattan season and I was very sensitive to the cold and dry winds, so I always wore socks. I would have also worn gloves except for the fact that it made gripping things unnecessarily difficult and sensitive.
The socks I wore on this particular day was a dark, wooly one that had to be pulled high if not it looked awkwardly fat around the base. And it was incredibly itchy.
So, when I felt this itch, I immediately bent to rid my legs of those socks. I was prepared to face the cold dryness than endure that 'once in a when-it-feels-like' itch.
"Oof!" I heard someone bump into me as I bent down.
Damn it, I thought and abandoned the socks for a second to tender a quick, obligatory 'sorry'.
"Oh, I'm so..." I paused as I stood up and stared at the girl standing before me. It's important(maybe not so important) to note that I paused in my speech because (a) the sun was reflecting into my eyes from behind this figure, so I really had no idea what I was looking at and also, (b) when the figure did eventually block the suns rays, I was stunned.
I was staring at a pretty, shy looking girl(I should know) in a nice flower dress. I remember lingering my gaze on those intricate flower designs, getting distracted for a second or two and wondering how people created such complex patterns.
"William, wow, this is a pleasant surprise." She spoke with a charming, innocent smile.
I chuckled awkwardly, a defense mechanism, and looked at her. Shy looking, yes, but vibrant, intelligent eyes and a certain sterness to it. Small button nose with an almost absent bridge, with eyes set far apart. All set in a fine, round face. She had a certain subtle beauty that one could absorb and enjoy like a painting.
"Angela." I said, glad I recalled her name. I had this stupid, guilty smile on my face. Guilty simply because I hadn't made any efforts to stay in touch with her or that other guy after that protest, neither of whom I'd seen in a long time.
I can't really recall what we talked about, maybe something about holidays. Anyways, we ended up in the same table at the library. In a funny twist, she was also a student of marketing, but a year ahead of me. A good thing in a lot of ways. None of which was the research I had initially planned to do.
Cassidy laughed, "You're a good storyteller."
I smiled at this and stared at my plate, "Well, thanks. I don't always talk about her, but it feels good remembering. "
She touched my arm fondly and I stared at it, she quickly removed it and looked away.
"We've still got another half hour, " she said and smiled, "I'd like to hear more."
"Alright." I said, actually looking forward to telling it.
It was a nice change, having a friend. For some reason, after the library experience, I began to see Angela more often. I almost always bumped into her at the marketing department, something that had never happened before. I also began to see more of Felix. A hearty guy, I came to learn, and he was also in the same department and level as Angela. The bizzare, and almost amusing thing about Felix was the fact that he was always in a lady's company; a charmer, he was.
Being friends with Angela, I got pushed into a world of books; novels, textbooks, and more novels. I didn't read them, of course, but I got used to seeing piles of books, and watching her engrossed in them. It was serene.
We got to be good friends quite naturally, we just clicked. I made it a habit of branching by her class at two p.m to check up on her and wait for her lectures to end. Lectures usually ended at two p.m, except on Fridays when it stretched unnecessarily for some reason, so I almost always didn't have to wait too long before I saw her.
From lectures we'd go to one of the numerous make-shift restaurants that scattered across campus. That was where we had lunch. Sometimes Felix would tag along, but only on very rare occasions. I still got to like him, though. From the restaurant we usually walked around the school field and branched to our various hostels, to meet in exactly one hour at the library. Now I think of it, I have no idea how that particular routine got formed. It just happened. So, from the library the day usually just took on a random twist.
One evening, while jogging (a new habit) across the school field with Felix beside me– actually, he'd told me that the reason why he exercised with me was not because he enjoyed it, not in that sense, but because he loved to watch 'those sweaty beauties' as they ran around the field– we got talking.
I'd just finished a lap so I was resting, and waiting for him to catch up.
"You should try focusing on the exercise, you'll find it delightful." I told him.
"Why would I want to do that when I've got all those delights running around."
I chuckled, he was a weird character indeed.
"Speaking of delights, ' he began and I looked at him, " you and Angela, huh?" He snickered.
I didn't understand, so I kept staring at him, "what ?"
He sat beside me on the grass, "What do you mean 'what'?"
"I mean..." I wanted to speak, but he interrupted me by raising his hand.
"You couldn't possibly not know what I'm saying." He said with mild shock.
I felt slightly embarrassed because in truth I really had no idea what he was talking about. You and Angela, what does that even mean? Luckily, he loved talking so he soon explained it.
"The two of you are a thing now, huh? I mean, I see both of you together and I'm always blown away," He looked at me, "and almost envious, but you know me, why would I want to stick with one girl when..."
"What do you mean 'a thing'?' I interrupted him. He was quiet for a while and the word kept resounding in my ears, 'a thing', and then I realised what he meant.
"What, no, we aren't.." I sighed, "I mean, we're just friends." I said calmly.
He was surprised, no doubt. In fact, I'd silenced him with surprise. After a while, he began to laugh. I didn't see the joke there so I just looked on.
'You're joking, right?" He asked after catching his breath.
I shook my head slowly, "No."
He stopped laughing and looked serious now, "So, you haven't seen the way she looks at you, or even the way you look at her?"
I kept quiet.
"You're funny, man. She's right there in front of you, you better take her. Frankly, I'm not interested but there are a hundred other guys who are."
He got up and trotted hypnotically after one of the girls.
I just sat on the grass, peeling of strands and replaying everything. How do I really look at her? One thing was certain, that thing he'd said about a hundred other guys suddenly made my blood hot.
We were back at our desks now.
"I'm guessing that's not all." Cassidy said.
I smiled, feeling free now, "Of course not, there's more, but let's take it slow."
She smiled and then nodded.
We were silent for a while and then I said, "You'll still have to tell me your story sometime."
Her smiled faded, "I'm not sure there's much of a story to tell."

*smiling*..nice!
Re: INSOMNIA by favch(f): 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2017
ujubaybee:

*smiling*..nice!
Jeez must u quote the whole episode, I was thinking its an update self

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by adontcare(f): 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2017
ujubaybee:

*smiling*..nice!
must u?

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by adontcare(f): 10:39pm On Nov 23, 2017
I felt pity for him

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 24, 2017
JUST HANG IN THERE

Wow, this is gonna be hard.
I'm thinking of halting the posting of any more chapters. Explanation is well, too long.
Okay, for the simple reason that I've reached the point where I need to go 'silent'.
Goodnews is the book(novella) should be done in about 30 days, give or take.
So, can you please wait for the full book?

Sorry for the inconvenience? Hell no, it's my inconvenience and not yours.

Here's the thing, the book's gonna be free, yay, right?

Just hang in there.

P.S: I won't even come back here to check the replies that may make me change my mind.

Expect the full book real soon.

Thanks for being a terrific set of readers.
Don't worry, we ain't breaking up, not yet. smiley

3 Likes

Re: INSOMNIA by zesh(m): 10:42pm On Nov 24, 2017
thanks for the heads up, will be expecting. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: INSOMNIA by ftosino(m): 8:59am On Nov 25, 2017
ok, we're waiting sir.
Re: INSOMNIA by Nobody: 7:51pm On Nov 26, 2017
Real life Ghosts

Hey guys, Chukswrites here.
I'm dropping this little message to inform you that I ghostwrite.
If you need a Short story written, maybe articles, then I'm the ghost for you, doesn't matter, as long as it's words, then.....

!email me: chuksobinna3@gmail.com
WhatsApp: 07065898605

Re: INSOMNIA by ikombe: 10:48am On Nov 27, 2017
ujubaybee:

*smiling*..nice!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Supposed Rapture- A Short Story. / How Much Will It Cost Me To Publish A 16,000 Words Novella? / My Islamic Short Stories

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.