Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,984 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 PM

The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden (8319 Views)

The 4 Common Types Of Graduates In Nigeria - Which One Are You? / Check Out What A Guy Wore To An Interview / Lady Reveals She Slept With A Manager During An Interview And Got The Job! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 6:43am On Nov 02, 2017
Failure to prepare for an interview is one major setback that affects job seekers. Most of us think that we already have the situation under control, and then we blow up our chances.

I remember getting invited from a multi-national for a Store Lead role position. I already concluded that I knew the possible questions to be asked, and I felt relaxed like I owned the firm. Few hours the next day, I sat facing some panellist at the interview hall. I have attended several interviews, and I never felt tensed for once. I knew the reason, and it was purely “Poor Preparation.”

The questions started coming; left, right, centre. I was thrown off balance with the question I never anticipated. The interview ended so jovial; but guess what, I saw a regret email the next day. Maybe if I had known the director of the company, I would have gotten the job. But I knew nobody and still failed to prepare for an interview, and it landed me a regret mail.

You have struggled so hard to make the cut through the application process and have finally gotten yourself an invite. The question is, “how do you prepare for an interview?”

Let’s see the best methods to prepare for an interview below;

Do your Research

It doesn’t matter how much knowledge you have about the position that you are interested in getting if you have no knowledge of what the company does. It is very disastrous to enter the interview hall and not be able to tell the interviewer what the company does, and major things about them. How else can you convince them that you are a good fit who is about to bring value?

You shouldn’t just know about what they do on the surface, these are the things you should focus on;

Who they are
Where they are heading too (Their vision)
Why they exist (Their mission)
General news about them
What their competitors are doing
How they can beat competition
Have you heard anything about them recently?

A good and less time-consuming way is to look up their website. But the truth is that if you need to prepare for an interview, then you need to go some extra miles.

If you aren’t sure about what you read online, you can do a little phone-in to their representative. But be sure not to introduce yourself as a candidate. Use subtle questions to get your desired information.

Know your contact

Most interview invites come with names and numbers attached to it. It is okay to ask whom you will be talking to. This will help you relate with the interviewers using their first name. You can go an extra mile to research about your contact person and their role in the company.

If you have the chance, check out your potential department and check for names there. Know about your potential colleagues. All these don’t really mean you have gotten the job, but who knows how it might just wow your interviewer. To prepare for an interview, you must dig deep and find out things that other candidates don’t know about.

Practice your responses

This is one of the best ways to prepare for an interview if you are prone to being nervous is to practice your response to questions that might be asked. You can practice your wording, tone of voice and body movement. You can also practice keeping your responses brief but with much details attached to it. If it is your first time of going for an interview, you can practice with a friend.

I have prepared some possible Interview questions and answers. You can just Download a free copy by clicking here

Dress the Part

It is good to always pre-select your attire for the day. You want to make sure that your clothes don’t have stains or wrinkle on them. If you are going for a job that involves an office setting, then you should dress conservatively. Ladies should use tones that are soft earth.

Girls should avoid miniskirts should be avoided, alongside dresses that expose too much skin. Guys would do well in dark suits with plain trousers.

If you are looking to work in an outside environment, then casual wears would do. Just to be certain to avoid Jeans of all forms, chinos, and ladies should avoid heavy make-ups – it speaks badly.

All the above are just the ways to prepare for an interview. (I have also written on how to Ace an interview for those without experience on the blog)

In summary, you make sure that all the materials needed are prepared in advance, and you should also go alongside a notepad if needed. If you have a business card, you can hand it out to the employer, it portrays you as a professional and helps the employer remember your name.

Are you ready to smash your interview? Make sure you don’t commit these mistakes, and you will be fine.

Remember to request for my special interview questions and answers. It would help your preparation.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/prepare-for-an-interview/

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 6:45am On Nov 02, 2017
These are a must follow rules, but it is a more organized way to know how to ace an interview. More details are found on the blog
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by nairavsdollars(f): 9:37am On Nov 02, 2017
The best way for me is self-confidence. Even if you don't know most of the answers, just be confident and never panic
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Nobody: 9:37am On Nov 02, 2017
After all these said and done in a country like Nigeria if you don't have connections to back this up with then don't even bother wasting your time

4 Likes

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by thunderbabs: 9:38am On Nov 02, 2017
Havin done all that and still do not geh d job, sacrifice to ur village people, ko?
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Keywordconcept(m): 9:38am On Nov 02, 2017
No problem
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by lonelydora: 9:39am On Nov 02, 2017
If God favours you, all these writeup won't make sense.
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by cybercrackerftp(m): 9:40am On Nov 02, 2017
ur info make sense ooo

2 Likes

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by wildchild02: 9:41am On Nov 02, 2017
Thanks
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by rotexteymie(f): 9:42am On Nov 02, 2017
Thanks op smiley
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by husseinkenny40(m): 9:43am On Nov 02, 2017
Nice
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 02, 2017
After all said and done, nothing still. angry What one need is grace or connection else
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by fatymore(f): 9:55am On Nov 02, 2017
Try to be natural sha... Don't be too rigid.. Just be yourself

1 Like

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 9:57am On Nov 02, 2017
multicash:
After all said and done, nothing still. angry What one need is grace or connection else

Connection to where cheesy
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by BiafranBushBoy: 9:57am On Nov 02, 2017
fatymore:
Try to be natural sha... Don't be too rigid.. Just be yourself

Being yourself sometimes isn't the best tho.
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Nobody: 9:59am On Nov 02, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

Connection to where cheesy
Not where but to whom
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by okikiosibodu(m): 10:00am On Nov 02, 2017
I have come to the realization that it boils down to tell the interviewer what she/he wants to hear, without you altering the truth (on your own part). You also have to pass the eye test though (dressing, door test, and other etiquettes). You being yourself will help you to be free and you know you have nothing to pretend about. The topic of discourse reminds me of a funny post I once came across:
This question was asked on Twitter moments ago;
"As a graduate, would you accept a job of N900,000 monthly as a Gateman?"
Here were the crazy and hilarious responses that followed....... Nigerians, I hail thee
1. I would have said NO but my hobbies include opening and closing of gate...
2. Why I con go school na, if not to be a young smart gateman? My dream job, we're all gatemen in our family.
3. See you, gateman that am doing free of charge most days these days..... Izz like u want me to resume on credit already, abi?
4. I would even work seven days a week and twice on Sundays.... I go even train my pikin to take over from me.
5. I can be the gateman, the dog, the security lights and the alarm
6 After taking the job, I would pick up a form to do my masters and PhD in Opening gate and security science to be a better gateman
7. I started opening gate when I was 6 months old, so I hv too much experience plsss. Where can I apply?
8. Is it not just to open and close gate? Call me your GM.. Boss of the gate.. Commander in chief of the gate forces. When do I start?
9. Some are gatemen, some are Senior Access Controllers.. I'd even combine the two together.
10. Me that i will use my certificate to be fanning myself beside the gate when am feeling heat.

5 Likes

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by sunbbo(m): 10:06am On Nov 02, 2017
Thanks Op.

Apply For Quest Oil And Engineering Services Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions)

Quest Oil and Engineering Services Limited is a value-driven company offering full-service in oil and gas, as well as engineering service. We offer engineering, design, procurement, steel and fabrication services as well as provide customized integrated services specific to clients, to include cost-effective delivery. Quest Oil and Engineering Services Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions) as follows;

1.) Technical/Service Manager

Click Here To View Details

2.) Part Sales Officer

3.) Mechanical and Electrical Generator Technician

4.) Sales Representative

Application Closing Date:11th November, 2017

Source:http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2017/10/27/quest-oil-engineering-services-limited-fresh-job-recruitment-4-positions/
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Alexbrain(m): 10:31am On Nov 02, 2017
Discovering your talents and building up your skills with be a very productive way to tackle unemployment and become an entrepreneur.
Check out this free online book that will help you with that
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/657738
http://okadabooks.com/book/about/talent__the_bomb/12751#
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Rubbiish(m): 10:32am On Nov 02, 2017
nairavsdollars:
The best way for me is self-confidence. Even if you don't know most of the answers, just be confident and never panic
Na wa for u ooo
How will u not panic when u don't know the answer?
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by Rubbiish(m): 10:34am On Nov 02, 2017
Japhet04:
After all these said and done in a country like Nigeria if you don't have connections to back this up with then don't even bother wasting your time
True...
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by jayloms: 10:41am On Nov 02, 2017
Is it really possible to know your interviewers before hand, especially in Nigeria?

Interviews can be very nerve wracking, it's purely by the grace of God most of the time. That said, preparation has its place

1 Like

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by free2ryhme: 10:54am On Nov 02, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
Failure to prepare for an interview is one major setback that affects job seekers. Most of us think that we already have the situation under control, and then we blow up our chances.

I remember getting invited from a multi-national for a Store Lead role position. I already concluded that I knew the possible questions to be asked, and I felt relaxed like I owned the firm. Few hours the next day, I sat facing some panellist at the interview hall. I have attended several interviews, and I never felt tensed for once. I knew the reason, and it was purely “Poor Preparation.”

The questions started coming; left, right, centre. I was thrown off balance with the question I never anticipated. The interview ended so jovial; but guess what, I saw a regret email the next day. Maybe if I had known the director of the company, I would have gotten the job. But I knew nobody and still failed to prepare for an interview, and it landed me a regret mail.

You have struggled so hard to make the cut through the application process and have finally gotten yourself an invite. The question is, “how do you prepare for an interview?”

Let’s see the best methods to prepare for an interview below;

Do your Research

It doesn’t matter how much knowledge you have about the position that you are interested in getting if you have no knowledge of what the company does. It is very disastrous to enter the interview hall and not be able to tell the interviewer what the company does, and major things about them. How else can you convince them that you are a good fit who is about to bring value?

You shouldn’t just know about what they do on the surface, these are the things you should focus on;

Who they are
Where they are heading too (Their vision)
Why they exist (Their mission)
General news about them
What their competitors are doing
How they can beat competition
Have you heard anything about them recently?

A good and less time-consuming way is to look up their website. But the truth is that if you need to prepare for an interview, then you need to go some extra miles.

If you aren’t sure about what you read online, you can do a little phone-in to their representative. But be sure not to introduce yourself as a candidate. Use subtle questions to get your desired information.

Know your contact

Most interview invites come with names and numbers attached to it. It is okay to ask whom you will be talking to. This will help you relate with the interviewers using their first name. You can go an extra mile to research about your contact person and their role in the company.

If you have the chance, check out your potential department and check for names there. Know about your potential colleagues. All these don’t really mean you have gotten the job, but who knows how it might just wow your interviewer. To prepare for an interview, you must dig deep and find out things that other candidates don’t know about.

Practice your responses

This is one of the best ways to prepare for an interview if you are prone to being nervous is to practice your response to questions that might be asked. You can practice your wording, tone of voice and body movement. You can also practice keeping your responses brief but with much details attached to it. If it is your first time of going for an interview, you can practice with a friend.

I have prepared some possible Interview questions and answers. You can just Download a free copy by clicking here

Dress the Part

It is good to always pre-select your attire for the day. You want to make sure that your clothes don’t have stains or wrinkle on them. If you are going for a job that involves an office setting, then you should dress conservatively. Ladies should use tones that are soft earth.

Girls should avoid miniskirts should be avoided, alongside dresses that expose too much skin. Guys would do well in dark suits with plain trousers.

If you are looking to work in an outside environment, then casual wears would do. Just to be certain to avoid Jeans of all forms, chinos, and ladies should avoid heavy make-ups – it speaks badly.

All the above are just the ways to prepare for an interview. (I have also written on how to Ace an interview for those without experience on the blog)

In summary, you make sure that all the materials needed are prepared in advance, and you should also go alongside a notepad if needed. If you have a business card, you can hand it out to the employer, it portrays you as a professional and helps the employer remember your name.

Are you ready to smash your interview? Make sure you don’t commit these mistakes, and you will be fine.

Remember to request for my special interview questions and answers. It would help your preparation.

Source: http://topwritersden.com/prepare-for-an-interview/

Some people got jobs without interview so the above listed don't matter

1 Like

Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by wawwZee(m): 11:01am On Nov 02, 2017
naijamafioso:
Good to know tho the race is not ALWAYS for the swift.

contact my signature for making free bitcoins.

Free bitcoins?
Re: The 4 Best Ways To Prepare For An Interview - Topwritersden by EshjayLee(m): 3:55pm On Nov 02, 2017
Nice Presentation

(1) (Reply)

Job Openings At Fcda / ...how Much Fan Milk Pays Engineers. / Demand Of Work Experience Frustration By Employers - What Can Be Done!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.